The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Zuccarello-could-Push-Calgary-over-topBruinsHoward/1/97286

Eklund with another post about us being in on Zuccarello. 

I actually don't mind Zuccarello and he could really help our skill on the 2nd line and 2nd PP. He is listed as left shot RW something we have a few of already, so if he could play LW I think he would slot nicely on the 3rd line setting up Neal.

Eklund does have sources and there are some teams that when he posts stuff about them I think it merits conversation. however, over the years i've found that he does not have very good sources when it relates to the Flames so when he posts stuff I don't tend to give it to much thought.

I don't think Zucarello fits what the Flames would want to do at the deadline personally. 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

For an off-season move, can we get Zibanejad with Hanifin? 

No, Just , No   LOL

here is where I am on trades.

For once in forever , we are a balanced , deep team. We really have no area of Imperative need ..and the contracts are such that we are set for the next 2+ years , then succession and attrition take over as well as more extensions

I will say I fully expect to lose Johnny in 3 years when he likely does a Tavares and goes home for big bucks.. and I really wont blame him one bit , it will be his right and he will have given us everything 

Yes, I'd like some Backup Goalie insurance, but outside of Nashville there isn't really a playoff bound team that wont be sweating bullets if their starter goes down .. we aren't unique there

We should only be looking at augmenting with low cost rentals .. i do LOVE the idea of Kunitz.. hes got 4 rings and played a part in all 4.. you want that guy on your team in the playoffs .. but I don't see anything messing with our deep core ,nor should they for a number of years 

Find me a playmaker for Neal and I'm a Happy Boy ..and from the looks of the last game, Backlund might be it ..

our current D, outside of Stone, not going anywhere ..  the only roster player I feel we can move for the right deal is Mangiapane. and in the off season , Move Frolik ..everybody else to me right now has a role, is doing it well, and may as well be untouchable 

and speaking of our D.. did anybody else catch the irony of a Shot by Dougie Hamilton going off TJ into our own net ? maybe he was the problem all along LOL

17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

No, Just , No   LOL

For once in forever , we are a balanced , deep team. We really have no area of Imperative need ..and the contracts are such that we are set for the next 2+ years , then succession and attrition take over as well as more extensions

I will say I fully expect to lose Johnny in 3 years when he likely does a Tavares and goes home for big bucks.. and I really wont blame him one bit , it will be his right and he will have given us everything 

Yes, I'd like some Backup Goalie insurance, but outside of Nashville there isn't really a playoff bound team that wont be sweating bullets if their starter goes down .. we aren't unique there

We should only be looking at augmenting with low cost rentals .. i do LOVE the idea of Kunitz.. hes got 4 rings and played a part in all 4.. you want that guy on your team in the playoffs .. but I don't see anything messing with our deep core ,nor should they for a number of years 

Find me a playmaker for Neal and I'm a Happy Boy ..and from the looks of the last game, Backlund might be it ..

our current D, outside of Stone, not going anywhere ..  the only roster player I feel we can move for the right deal is Mangiapane. and in the off season , Move Frolik ..everybody else to me right now has a role, is doing it well, and may as well be untouchable 

and speaking of our D.. did anybody else catch the irony of a Shot by Dougie Hamilton going off TJ into our own net ? maybe he was the problem all along LOL

This says nothing about Hanifin.  Where is the rebuttal?  I'm proposing we trade from an area of strength for a 2nd line scoring C.  

If Zibanejad can put up 65-points with Tkachuk on the 2nd line, that's great.  Not many teams can have that much scoring on two lines.

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

No, Just , No   LOL

I don't feel you need Kunitz with Neal here and this team playing for each other. I also like what I saw between Ryan and Neal rather than mess with the 3M line this season. What did we bring Ryan here for if it wasn't for winning faceoffs and being a complimentary piece for one of these lines. He isn't a pure scorer or playmaker but I wouldn't mind seeing him more as a playmaker between Bennett and Neal. The player I would like to see added after the break is Quine LW on the 4th line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This says nothing about Hanifin.  Where is the rebuttal?  I'm proposing we trade from an area of strength for a 2nd line scoring C.  

If Zibanejad can put up 65-points with Tkachuk on the 2nd line, that's great.  Not many teams can have that much scoring on two lines.

it did , I said outside of Stone our current D is going nowhere .  Hanifin is a young , good and still improving future 1-2 on a 6 year team friendly contract and already as good or better than Hamilton was at the same age .. hes probably the last one I'd consider .

Jankowski is also still improving , I see him being a consistent 20+ goals in the next season or 2 . he will become a #2 center sooner than later .

I'm all for adding some short term playmaking , but not at the expense of a core piece 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

it did , I said outside of Stone our current D is going nowhere .  Hanifin is a young , good and still improving future 1-2 on a 6 year team friendly contract and already as good or better than Hamilton was at the same age .. hes probably the last one I'd consider .

Jankowski is also still improving , I see him being a consistent 20+ goals in the next season or 2 . he will become a #2 center sooner than later .

I'm all for adding some short term playmaking , but not at the expense of a core piece 

But why?  How do you handle Kylington ready for full time NHL?  How do you handle Valimaki in the picture once healthy?

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But why?  How do you handle Kylington ready for full time NHL?  How do you handle Valimaki in the picture once healthy?

one becomes a #7.. at end of next season we have to decide on both TJ and Hamonic . i dont see us re-signing Both 

Personally in the offseason id be looking to sell high on TJ.. he only plays well with Gio.. but everybody plays well with Gio..it wont matter who you put there .

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

one becomes a #7.. 

But again, why?  These guys are #6 ready.  Why not convert Hanifin into a top 6 forward?

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But again, why?  These guys are #6 ready.  Why not convert Hanifin into a top 6 forward?

for the same reason they're even playing now .. if Stone and Valimaki weren't both out Kyllington would still be in Stockton ..who do you want as your #7, 1st up in case of injury for regular duty...Kyllington or Prout?

Succession and Progression .. we are finally at the point we can load up the back end and not have to have constant worry about holes in the middle 

Hanifin is our future top pair ..Gios successor ..  if you're gonna trade one its TJ, but not til the offseason 

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Because after the 7th and 8th depth D-man there isnt anyone close to making the jump. Even when Stone and Valimaki return there no guarantee they'll be ready for 3rd pairing minutes. As it stands now if one of the top 6 gets injured for any length of time were relying on Prout to fill the gap and thats not a position you want to be in going into the playoffs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Because after the 7th and 8th depth D-man there isnt anyone close to making the jump. Even when Stone and Valimaki return there no guarantee they'll be ready for 3rd pairing minutes. As it stands now if one of the top 6 gets injured for any length of time were relying on Prout to fill the gap and thats not a position you want to be in going into the playoffs.

Im talking about trading Hanifin this off-season or in other words, when there's plenty of time to restock Stockton.  Right now there's nobody down there, I agree.

But pick up a couple #7/8 D via UFA this summer and that takes care of that.

34 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

for the same reason they're even playing now .. if Stone and Valimaki weren't both out Kyllington would still be in Stockton ..who do you want as your #7, 1st up in case of injury for regular duty...Kyllington or Prout?

Succession and Progression .. we are finally at the point we can load up the back end and not have to have constant worry about holes in the middle 

Hanifin is our future top pair ..Gios successor ..  if you're gonna trade one its TJ, but not til the offseason 

Again, I'm talking about this summer.  Not trading now. 

I don't feel we need Kylington as the #7.  We should be comfortable with him in the #6 spot.  Full time bottom pair D.  We can sign a #7 this summer to eat popcorn in the press box.

This let's us convert Hanifin into something good.  Meanwhile, we keep Brodie and Hamonic for RD where it's always tricky to find replacements.  I know some question whether we can keep both but I feel we can because they want to be here. Brodie and Hamonic for family reasons.   They will take hometown discounts.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Again, I'm talking about this summer.  Not trading now. 

I don't feel we need Kylington as the #7.  We should be comfortable with him in the #6 spot.  Full time bottom pair D.  We can sign a #7 this summer to eat popcorn in the press box.

This let's us convert Hanifin into something good.  Meanwhile, we keep Brodie and Hamonic for RD where it's always tricky to find replacements.  I know some question whether we can keep both but I feel we can because they want to be here. Brodie and Hamonic for family reasons.   They will take hometown discounts.

Why do you want to convert our current #3 and future best Dman into a forward  and stunt his growth ? Within 2-3 seasons he'll be likely a top 6 dman in the league ? If anything Id like to pair him with Gio and really accelerate him

#7s don't stay in the pressbox . if we didn't have Andersson and Kyllington this year , our bottom pair right now would be Prout and I don't even know whos next ..

And Brodie is actually an Ontario boy .. I bet we could probably get a nice return from Toronto if he keeps having the season hes having 

After taking a look at some of the prospects that might be available in the 20-31 range that we will be drafting in, I really don't want to move our 1st at the deadline. The two guys I really like in the range are Alex Newhook and Nils Hoglander. Hoglander reminds me a lot of Viktor Arvidsson from Nashville.

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Why do you want to convert our current #3 and future best Dman into a forward  and stunt his growth ? Within 2-3 seasons he'll be likely a top 6 dman in the league ? If anything Id like to pair him with Gio and really accelerate him

#7s don't stay in the pressbox . if we didn't have Andersson and Kyllington this year , our bottom pair right now would be Prout and I don't even know whos next ..

And Brodie is actually an Ontario boy .. I bet we could probably get a nice return from Toronto if he keeps having the season hes having 

No one is next after Prout and that's why this summer we have time to reload the cupboard.  We can stock #7, 8, 9, 20 if you wanted to.

No one is stunting Hanifin as much as we pave the way for Valimaki who has higher upside.  Valimaki is the one to replace Gio.  Hanifin has also not played RD and it's not as easy as throwing him to the RD side with Gio.

Anyways you look at it, Kylington is not a #7 moving forward.  He probably peaks as a second pair as early as next season.  

We have one too many LD and something has to give.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No one is next after Prout and that's why this summer we have time to reload the cupboard.  We can stock #7, 8, 9, 20 if you wanted to.

No one is stunting Hanifin as much as we pave the way for Valimaki who has higher upside.  Valimaki is the one to replace Gio.  Hanifin has also not played RD and it's not as easy as throwing him to the RD side with Gio.

Anyways you look at it, Kylington is not a #7 moving forward.  He probably peaks as a second pair as early as next season.  

We have one too many LD and something has to give.

Happy problems to have .. we've come a long way since 2015-16  :) 

Left
Gio
Smid
Jokipakka
Wotherspoon

Right
Hamilton
Wideman
Brodie
Engelland

52 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Detroit's closer and needs dmen equally:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What is the hurry ? We have already seen the need for quality depth with Valimaki experiencing a high ankle sprain.

Lots of interesting conversation today.

I wouldn’t look to trade Hanifin yet. Give him a couple more years before making a decision. In terms of his counting numbers they’ve improved every season and it’s looking like the same can be said for this season. 

I would also keep Hamonic and Brodie for next season. If Kylington is a #7 d/ in the A again it means you have tremendous depth at the position 

Also for anyone worried Gaudreau is gone as a UFA, maybe but if we are a really good team like we are this season it will be very hard for him to leave. If he plays his entire career here they’ll build a statue of him. On top of that, his contract expires when gio’s does. If he is a 90-100 point player the next 3 seasons, BT can add Gio’s 6.75 onto what Gaudreau is making currently, 13.5x8 would be hard to turn down... anyways that’s a long ways away

Internet cut out, post got posted twice. One of the posts only one paragraph (this post) so I deleted it.

I feel like Kylington is still borderline. Valamaki is ready but I think could use some AHL seasoning. Next year will be tight-ish with Giordano, Hanifin and Valamaki. Will Kylington and Valamaki have to fight for thr left side of 5/6 job? They’re both so young you don’t want either to be a #7. 

I dont get why anyone here is trying to trade a RD. Who do the Flames have to cover the 5/6 role and who is available as a UFA to play the position? Right now it works. 

In the end, the only D I see expendable is Kylington. But he is young enough to maintain the depth on D for the future.

When Giordano either retires or moves down the depth chart, Valamaki or Hanifin can fight for his spot on the top unit.

I just want to upgrade on Prout. 

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lots of interesting conversation today.

I wouldn’t look to trade Hanifin yet. Give him a couple more years before making a decision. In terms of his counting numbers they’ve improved every season and it’s looking like the same can be said for this season. 

I would also keep Hamonic and Brodie for next season. If Kylington is a #7 d/ in the A again it means you have tremendous depth at the position 

Also for anyone worried Gaudreau is gone as a UFA, maybe but if we are a really good team like we are this season it will be very hard for him to leave. If he plays his entire career here they’ll build a statue of him. On top of that, his contract expires when gio’s does. If he is a 90-100 point player the next 3 seasons, BT can add Gio’s 6.75 onto what Gaudreau is making currently, 13.5x8 would be hard to turn down... anyways that’s a long ways away

Hamonic/Brodie is draft table discussion, to be clear.

Both are in contract years next year. So it has to be considered imo.

We're unlikely re-signing both along with Gio, Hanifin salaries, Andersson Kyl coming off of ELCs at the same time.

Valimaki has the potential to barge right in, as early as next year, let alone another year. imho.

We'd be dealing from a strength, for the first time in forever.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Hamonic/Brodie is draft table discussion, to be clear.

Both are in contract years next year. So it has to be considered imo.

We're unlikely re-signing both along with Gio, Hanifin salaries, Andersson Kyl coming off of ELCs at the same time.

Valimaki has the potential to barge right in, as early as next year, let alone another year. imho.

We'd be dealing from a strength, for the first time in forever.

I just don’t see justification to trade players from the RD side. History has shown that it is difficult to acquire quality Right Side D.

in other words, the LD is our position of strength not the RD.