Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

Just now, robrob74 said:

 

I just don’t see justification to trade players from the RD side. History has shown that it is difficult to acquire quality Right Side D.

 

in other words, the LD is our position of strength not the RD.

That's my thought too.

Or just play the contracts out?

Tough call.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's my thought too.

Or just play the contracts out?

Tough call.

 

It’s a fine line to go for picks or ride out contracts and lose someone. If they can add to a Cup chance then you’re trading them away for nothing due to their UFA rights for that chance to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone feeling like we could potentially part with our 1st or 2nd round picks come the TDL? BT ain’t shy we know that, if we’re thinking Cup or die now and the “right”deal is in place is it worth the futures ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, rickross said:

Anyone feeling like we could potentially part with our 1st or 2nd round picks come the TDL? BT ain’t shy we know that, if we’re thinking Cup or die now and the “right”deal is in place is it worth the futures ??

Most of us I'm sure.

We don't have a 2nd for this year..

Time's on our side rn. Should we do it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Keep the 1st round pick, we'll be fine without trading it.

I cant remember where I saw it but statistically the odds of getting a full time NHLer significantly drop off around the 20th overall pick, depending how deep the talent is. Considering were looking probably a late 20's or later pick with no 2nd rounder in an apparently deep draft, hang on to it unless theres an outlandish steal to be had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

In the end, the only D I see expendable is Kylington. But he is young enough to maintain the depth on D for the future.

 

When Giordano either retires or moves down the depth chart, Valamaki or Hanifin can fight for his spot on the top unit.

 

I just want to upgrade on Prout. 

 

I would generally agree Kylington is the most expendable but at the same time, would yield the lowest returns.  

 

Look at Hamilton getting traded.  He was not really expendable but boy we got a haul for him.  Hanifin could get similar returns.  He's a bigger name and more established than Kylington.  Meanwhile, we already have Hanifin's replacement in house.  We can address the need for a second line C or RW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

I would generally agree Kylington is the most expendable but at the same time, would yield the lowest returns.  

 

Look at Hamilton getting traded.  He was not really expendable but boy we got a haul for him.  Hanifin could get similar returns.  He's a bigger name and more established than Kylington.  Meanwhile, we already have Hanifin's replacement in house.  We can address the need for a second line C or RW.

You do know that Hanifin was the Key piece BT wanted in that deal ?(Burke stated on Hockey Central)..  Lindholm has blown the doors off expectations , proven by the fact that he even signed Neal to begin with .Why would he possibly be remotely touchable ?

Unless he suddenly decides to become addicted to Museums , Hanifin aint going anywhere for about 6 years 

again if I'm trading any of those D this offseason , it's still TJ , but for different reasons than last year  ,   

1- if he keeps up his pace, we wont want to pay him what he can get in UFA

2- its obvious he can only play with Gio.. so he's expendable since anybody plays well with Gio

 

I get you really don't really seem to like the guy, but c'mon he's not getting traded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I wish the Flames targeted in the summer was Bozak. My bet is a lot wouldn’t agree, but I just feel he’s an upgrade on ability over Ryan. But of course maybe a bit more salary. But then, if the Flames targeted him over Neal, maybe they get more for less(?).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

You do know that Hanifin was the Key piece BT wanted in that deal ?(Burke stated on Hockey Central)..  Lindholm has blown the doors off expectations , proven by the fact that he even signed Neal to begin with .Why would he possibly be remotely touchable ?

Unless he suddenly decides to become addicted to Museums , Hanifin aint going anywhere for about 6 years 

again if I'm trading any of those D this offseason , it's still TJ , but for different reasons than last year  ,   

1- if he keeps up his pace, we wont want to pay him what he can get in UFA

2- its obvious he can only play with Gio.. so he's expendable since anybody plays well with Gio

 

I get you really don't really seem to like the guy, but c'mon he's not getting traded 

 

It's very likely Hanifin doesn't get traded but I didn't realize we were trying to predict what BT would do.  I thought we were sharing ideas on how to improve the team further if we were in charge.

 

If you could trade from our strength to help in other areas, then TJ is still the guy you trade?  Just throw Hanifin to the RD side and it will just work because Giordano?  Or play Andersson top pairing leaving Hanifin-Hamonic together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Flames round table on 960 yesterday Wes Gilbertson mentioned the Flames had interest in Zuccarello last season and he expects they still do. Maybe Eklund was finally on to something. Guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

On the Flames round table on 960 yesterday Wes Gilbertson mentioned the Flames had interest in Zuccarello last season and he expects they still do. Maybe Eklund was finally on to something. Guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

A second or third line of Zuccarello-Bennett-Neil would be fantastic! 

Leave the 3M line intact.

We have no 2nd round pick this year so we would have to part with our 1st pick plus some.

Would the org want to part with another year of no futures?

 

Pinder suggested Nyquist yesterday as well.

Nyquist-Bennett-Neal might be better

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

A second or third line of Zuccarello-Bennett-Neil would be fantastic! 

Leave the 3M line intact.

We have no 2nd round pick this year so we would have to part with our 1st pick plus some.

Would the org want to part with another year of no futures?

 

Pinder suggested Nyquist yesterday as well.

Nyquist-Bennett-Neal might be better

 

 

For a 1st we better be getting a bigger return than a pending UFA in an off year.

TBH, there are only a select few I would give that up for.  Maybe have to add something but not for an aging UFA.

What dd Kane bring back last year?

A conditional 1st O'Regan (less than a p/gp 24 year old AHL player) and a conditional 4th.

That was for a prolific scorer with some sttitude problems, but was a target for us last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

For a 1st we better be getting a bigger return than a pending UFA in an off year.

TBH, there are only a select few I would give that up for.  Maybe have to add something but not for an aging UFA.

What dd Kane bring back last year?

A conditional 1st O'Regan (less than a p/gp 24 year old AHL player) and a conditional 4th.

That was for a prolific scorer with some sttitude problems, but was a target for us last year.

We can always hope for a better return but like I said, without a 2nd that means our 1st is in play if we want to add a high profile UFA.

I think we are only looking for a rental as we have no cap space next season beyond keeping the young guys we presently have.

Zuc or Nyq will cost us our 1st me thinks. No certainty how far that will take us in the post season.

We will pay dearly for that down the road, but it could take us to the promise land now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply amazes me the frenzy all these sportwriters attempt to create with these TDL dates. Zuccarrello over Ryan is he really that much better in helping us win a Cup ? BP had BT sign Ryan so does anyone really see BP abandoning his support of Ryan. NO. There have been a lot of positives emerge this season and I don't think you abandon those because we might have a better chance to win the SC. It is because of the total team effort that we are where we are now. I wouldn't bring in anyone or use up any draft picks, if anything BT might want to pick up a few. I would trade Czarnik if it would get us a 2nd or 3rd round for this coming draft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

For a 1st we better be getting a bigger return than a pending UFA in an off year.

 

Or at least the player coming back has to be a legit star player.  Like Duchene, Stone, etc.  Zuccarella and Nyqvist are second liners at best and trending down.  That should cost a 2nd round pick max, and most likely just a third.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Simply amazes me the frenzy all these sportwriters attempt to create with these TDL dates. Zuccarrello over Ryan is he really that much better in helping us win a Cup ? BP had BT sign Ryan so does anyone really see BP abandoning his support of Ryan. NO. There have been a lot of positives emerge this season and I don't think you abandon those because we might have a better chance to win the SC. It is because of the total team effort that we are where we are now. I wouldn't bring in anyone or use up any draft picks, if anything BT might want to pick up a few. I would trade Czarnik if it would get us a 2nd or 3rd round for this coming draft.

Are we better with Ryan on the 3rd line or 4th line heading into the playoffs?

Hey, I'm sceptical about adding as well especially when our 1st would be in play, just food for thought. 

 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Or at least the player coming back has to be a legit star player.  Like Duchene, Stone, etc.  Zuccarella and Nyqvist are second liners at best and trending down.  That should cost a 2nd round pick max, and most likely just a third.

I think I had Zuc or Nyq pencilled in on 2nd or 3rd line depending on how you number them.

Doubt we are getting Duchene or Stone for a late first rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Are we better with Ryan on the 3rd line or 4th line heading into the playoffs?

Hey, I'm sceptical about adding as well especially when our 1st would be in play, just food for thought. 

 

I think I had Zuc or Nyq pencilled in on 2nd or 3rd line depending on how you number them.

Doubt we are getting Duchene or Stone for a late first rounder.

I had no idea of Ryan before he came here and I now see him as that vanilla type player that doesn't wow you but he does a lot of things good. Also I saw a different side of him when he played between Bennett and Neal, very aggressive and confident . My hope is BP goes back to this line after the break and leaves them together. Jankowski is gaining experience and it won't hurt him playing on the 4th line with say Quine and Hathaway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

It's very likely Hanifin doesn't get traded but I didn't realize we were trying to predict what BT would do.  I thought we were sharing ideas on how to improve the team further if we were in charge.

 

If you could trade from our strength to help in other areas, then TJ is still the guy you trade?  Just throw Hanifin to the RD side and it will just work because Giordano?  Or play Andersson top pairing leaving Hanifin-Hamonic together?

i would absolutely move Andersson up , or pair him with Hanifin and move up Hamonic if we have to keep pairings together .

The problem in trading Hanifin , aside from the future potential , is the continuity..  with coming raises etc,  one of Hamonic or TJ likely has to go by end of next season , so this off season is the best return .  You trade Hanifin and that's likely 2 D you have to replace next season .

TJ as a UFA, the way hes playing again , is likely looking at the $6-7M range from somebody desperate for a puck moving dman .. you can get probably a 1st and a player/ prospect in return..,, keep the D progressing long term,  fill a need elsewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

i would absolutely move Andersson up , or pair him with Hanifin and move up Hamonic if we have to keep pairings together .

The problem in trading Hanifin , aside from the future potential , is the continuity..  with coming raises etc,  one of Hamonic or TJ likely has to go by end of next season , so this off season is the best return .  You trade Hanifin and that's likely 2 D you have to replace next season .

TJ as a UFA, the way hes playing again , is likely looking at the $6-7M range from somebody desperate for a puck moving dman .. you can get probably a 1st and a player/ prospect in return..,, keep the D progressing long term,  fill a need elsewhere 

I would be taking Brodie into next season and go from there with decisions that would involve him. I know we haven't won anything yet but I see this becoming a very tight group of players that plays for each other. This situation IMO is what wins championships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I would be taking Brodie into next season and go from there with decisions that would involve him. I know we haven't won anything yet but I see this becoming a very tight group of players that plays for each other. This situation IMO is what wins championships.

only problem with that , is the further you go into the season the less return and the bigger risk of upsetting the chemistry when you have to trade him at the deadline 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flames should not trade their first or lose a good prospect for a rental. I get and don't disagree that may be what it costs but it's not smart business to do that imo. 

 

Im firmly in the camp that the Flames should shop for depth only. Outside of 3rd line center I think the rest of the positions in the top 9 should be set and everyone given a chance to try and bring this thing home. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Outside of 3rd line center I think the rest of the positions in the top 9 should be set and everyone given a chance to try and bring this thing home. 

Yup.

Can't let doubt get in the way. The playoffs have new stories every year. Every kid's dream.

No one has a formula, it'll always be some magic needing to happen and it tends to come unexpectedly from what's perceived to be grunt work.

Hard to imagine the 1 team in the West and 2 in the NHL having much roster upset.

Why mess with what's working?

 

The "need a LSDman" rumour is old.

Were the talking heads trying to talk us into it?

A 6th dman?

That's an invention imo.

Someone said it and it became a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am of the thought that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. That being said , just because something isn't crying out as broken doesn't mean it is working well enough to be left untouched. If Calgary does anything prior to the deadline I can only see them adding to the fourth line. A heavy player with playoff experience. I know that the fourth line can be improved as we all do. Replacing Mangiapane with a player like Maroon could give us that physical edged with a player that can move up the line up in a case of injury. He would also add playoff experience. The cost for Maroon will not be high at all, a 3rd round pick at the highest and we would still have all of our existing pieces. 

 

The only real worry we as Flames fans should worry about is goalie depth. If one of the big clubs goalies get hurt what happens to our playoff run without a prove fall back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I am of the thought that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. That being said , just because something isn't crying out as broken doesn't mean it is working well enough to be left untouched. If Calgary does anything prior to the deadline I can only see them adding to the fourth line. A heavy player with playoff experience. I know that the fourth line can be improved as we all do. Replacing Mangiapane with a player like Maroon could give us that physical edged with a player that can move up the line up in a case of injury. He would also add playoff experience. The cost for Maroon will not be high at all, a 3rd round pick at the highest and we would still have all of our existing pieces. 

 

The only real worry we as Flames fans should worry about is goalie depth. If one of the big clubs goalies get hurt what happens to our playoff run without a prove fall back?

Google "Maroon signs with St. Louis".

He's not available.

 

As it sits, we're inventing goalie depth being a problem.

Every team that loses a goalie will have depth issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...