The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

TML trades a 1st and 2-2nds.

LA trades a 5th after 7 years of service.

TML are better today, LA will be better down the road.

Good trade right now for both sides.

TML just added another $4M to their salary cap, will be interesting to see how they manage it come summer with the RFA extensions (or trades).

3 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

TML trades a 1st and 2-2nds.

LA trades a 5th after 7 years of service.

TML are better today, LA will be better down the road.

Good trade right now for both sides.

TML just added another $4M to their salary cap, will be interesting to see how they manage it come summer with the RFA extensions (or trades).

I think Muzzin effectively replaces Gardiner next season.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I think Muzzin effectively replaces Gardiner next season.

oh, well that is easy math then. 

One guy that hasn't really been brought up but could be a good depth player and shouldn't cost very much is Carl Hagelin. The guy has speed to burn, can kill penalties, can add offense, and has 121 games of playoff experience. He is a UFA at the end of the season, he can fit into the 4th line but play up the lineup if there are injuries.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One guy that hasn't really been brought up but could be a good depth player and shouldn't cost very much is Carl Hagelin. The guy has speed to burn, can kill penalties, can add offense, and has 121 games of playoff experience. He is a UFA at the end of the season, he can fit into the 4th line but play up the lineup if there are injuries.

I like Hagelin as a 4th liner, though he has struggled a bit this season. If it was something like a 5th round pick or a B-C level prospect I'd be okay with that.

Antoher guy that I have on my potential deadline list is Magnus Paajarvi from Ottawa. His stats this season don't wow anyone, he has been playing 4th line most of the season. Is a big guy with good reach and speed, plays PK and gives you depth scoring. Has also played well on the PK for team Sweden in the recent WC.

Would probably cost almost nothing, like a 6th or 7th rounder or a C-level prospect, so basically similar to the Chiasson trade we did with the Senators. Don't expect much, but might be a nice, cheap addition.

5 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

That sounded insane to me at first. However, I understand that this is a weak draft year, and I assume that Toronto will have a late pick. Muzzin is a known commodity.

And I have no idea about Grundstrom or Durzi.

By all accounts, this is one of the deepest draft years in recent memory.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:50 PM, conundrumed said:

Google "Maroon signs with St. Louis".

He's not available.

As it sits, we're inventing goalie depth being a problem.

Every team that loses a goalie will have depth issues.

Your point about the goalie is true , but my point is who do we have to call up that we can feel comfortable having back up in the playoffs? And as far as I know or can tell online Maroon is on an expiring contract right now.

12 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Your point about the goalie is true , but my point is who do we have to call up that we can feel comfortable having back up in the playoffs? And as far as I know or can tell online Maroon is on an expiring contract right now.

He's a UFA this summer but dont forget he's from the St.Louis area, and it was well known that he wanted to stay in the area. He's just finishing a full NTC portion on his contract. As of Feb 01 it becomes a modified 8 team NTC.

Just now, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

He's a UFA this summer but dont forget he's from the St.Louis area, and it was well known that he wanted to stay in the area. He's just finishing a full NTC on his contract. As of Feb 01 it becomes a modified 8 team NTC.

So with that said, do you for some reason believe that him coming to Calgary is out of the question? I understand the reasons why he took less money to be closer to his son, but if STL continues on the track they are on this season would it be hard to see him want a chance at a playoff run with a conference leader?

Also I don't mean to argue, he was just the first guy to come to mind as to fit and need for grit I feel we have in the bottom six. It could be another player like Boyle, or someone else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Addicted said:

Anyone willing to take a look at Kevin Hayes from the Rangers?  5.1 Mill cap hit on an expiring contract. Excellent passer and playmaker that can also put the puck in the net. Bump Janko to center the fourth line and our third line could be Bennett, Hayes, Neal. 

Likely worth our first?  

The idea is very tempting knowing that our first is going to be such a late pick. The only way I could see it as a good trade would be if NYR took back a Stone type contract and the pick was a second that changes to a first if Hayes resigns.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

So with that said, do you for some reason believe that him coming to Calgary is out of the question? I understand the reasons why he took less money to be closer to his son, but if STL continues on the track they are on this season would it be hard to see him want a chance at a playoff run with a conference leader?

Also I don't mean to argue, he was just the first guy to come to mind as to fit and need for grit I feel we have in the bottom six. It could be another player like Boyle, or someone else.

The problem is if you put him on the bottom six (4th line most likely) he'll be very limited in effectiveness. The heavier teams in the west (ANA, EDM) dont look like they'll be playing past April. I think as long as Mangiapane goes to the A and someone like Quine or Rychel comes up theyll make the 4th line a little bigger without sacrificing as much speed as you would with Maroon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The problem is if you put him on the bottom six (4th line most likely) he'll be very limited in effectiveness. The heavier teams in the west (ANA, EDM) dont look like they'll be playing past April. I think as long as Mangiapane goes to the A and someone like Quine or Rychel comes up theyll make the 4th line a little bigger without sacrificing as much speed as you would with Maroon.

For sure, I would rather see us use a guy like Quine instead of Mang. I was mentioning an addition of a physical guy because "I" feel that that is all we are lacking at certain times. I would be fine with using Quine on the 4th line, but having that physical guy if we end up needing him would be good. This addition wouldn't even need to play every game, he could be put it on a game by game basis when we feel he is needed.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Muzzin has been traded to the Leafs. Pretty good haul as well so while I don't think it ever made sense for the Flames, glad they avoided. 

The Leafs needed a RHS RD.  So, they got the wrong guy right?  And spent all their bullets in the process too.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Leafs needed a RHS RD.  So, they got the wrong guy right?  And spent all their bullets in the process too.

He can play both sides.  Will be on the top pair.

I wouldn't have paid that high a price, but why the heck didn't the Oilers?

He's exactly what they are missing.

1st + Puljujarvi or Yamamoto + Maximov.

Missed the boat.

Salary would be tough, but they could buy out Sekera.

Oh, and they would need to do some creative stuff this year unless they buy off the doctors and convince the league he can't play.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He can play both sides.  Will be on the top pair.

I wouldn't have paid that high a price, but why the heck didn't the Oilers?

He's exactly what they are missing.

1st + Puljujarvi or Yamamoto + Maximov.

Missed the boat.

Salary would be tough, but they could buy out Sekera.

Oh, and they would need to do some creative stuff this year unless they buy off the doctors and convince the league he can't play.

Hmm based on early reports, Morgan Reilly moves to the right side paired with Muzzin on top pairing.  Can't say thats ideal but we will have to see if it works.

The more I think about it, I am really thinking that we will see Bennett and Neal take another step in the playoffs and be really clutch for us. 

Bennett seems like a guy who needs and feeds off the emotion of a big game, whenever the temperature of the game heats up Bennett becomes what we all thought he was going to be.

Neal has been through the battles so many times he knows exactly what needs to be done in the playoffs.

Getting those two guys to step up and warriors will be like getting two top 9 players via a trade.

I really like the idea of getting Hagelin as there is more than one way to intimidate other teams. We aren't going to intimidate anyone with our toughness, but adding Hagelin we sure would be able to intimidate with our team speed.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The more I think about it, I am really thinking that we will see Bennett and Neal take another step in the playoffs and be really clutch for us. 

Bennett seems like a guy who needs and feeds off the emotion of a big game, whenever the temperature of the game heats up Bennett becomes what we all thought he was going to be.

Neal has been through the battles so many times he knows exactly what needs to be done in the playoffs.

Getting those two guys to step up and warriors will be like getting two top 9 players via a trade.

I really like the idea of getting Hagelin as there is more than one way to intimidate other teams. We aren't going to intimidate anyone with our toughness, but adding Hagelin we sure would be able to intimidate with our team speed.

Bennett is a very resilient player IMO. When we play poorly as a team, it is not unusual to see Bennett still grinding it out hard. That is an important characteristic not easily replicated. The Oilers really needed that quality again this year. 

I think we need to change our mindset. We had our blanks handed to us in that last Anaheim playoff series. We are faster skaters and are able to move the puck significantly faster when we want to. We can score this year, seemingly at will. My biggest fear quite frankly is that when the playoffs begin, the refs forget how to officiate. Johnny, if you are listening, you had better get those ginormic gloves back on come playoffs because I suspect that you are gonna face a few "Hacksaw Jim Duggans" soon.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett yes.

Neal, not so much.  He was invisible in the Cup Finals last year.  Vanished in the biggest games.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bennett yes.

Neal, not so much.  He was invisible in the Cup Finals last year.  Vanished in the biggest games.

So the other games that lead up to the SCF don’t matter? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Two players I would have my eye on as UFAs in the offseason would be Hagelin and Silfverberg but not now. Hagelin will not be cheap to obtain now and no way ANA deals us Silfverberg. Couple of fellow Swedes for Backlund next season.

44 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Bennett is a very resilient player IMO. When we play poorly as a team, it is not unusual to see Bennett still grinding it out hard. That is an important characteristic not easily replicated. The Oilers really needed that quality again this year. 

I think we need to change our mindset. We had our blanks handed to us in that last Anaheim playoff series. We are faster skaters and are able to move the puck significantly faster when we want to. We can score this year, seemingly at will. My biggest fear quite frankly is that when the playoffs begin, the refs forget how to officiate. Johnny, if you are listening, you had better get those ginormic gloves back on come playoffs because I suspect that you are gonna face a few "Hacksaw Jim Duggans" soon.

So we need to change our mindset why ? This is very much a different team than what we have put into the playoffs previously. ANA is not the same team either and are trading off players.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ideally yes it's a RS D but as we've discussed those are hard to acquire. There isn't a top 4 guy on the market right now and i've read that the asking price for other RS dmen, particularily the Carolina guys, is really high and the Leafs balked. Hard to know if this a right/wrong decision without knowing those prices, could be the right move if those prices are crazy. 

But also worth pointing out, all signs are Gardiner is going to walk as a UFA so Muzzin also helps replace him next year and I also don't think it's fair to say they spent all their bullets. Still a pretty deep organization with other assets to move. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I've never agreed with this narrative, i think it's wrong. Flames were the better team for most of that series and lost due to bad goaltending and a lack of scoring. 2 things that so far look very different on this club than that one. 

31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

So we need to change our mindset why ? This is very much a different team than what we have put into the playoffs previously. ANA is not the same team either and are trading off players.

I doubt anyone predicted that we would be this successful after last year. Some solid trades, player maturity, and a coaching change have made for a great year thus far. I think we need to appreciate what we have on the team already before making any trades. At times, it seems to me that people suggest trades and ignore what we already have in the works. I hope we don't trade our 1st unless the return is amazing.

11 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I doubt anyone predicted that we would be this successful after last year. Some solid trades, player maturity, and a coaching change have made for a great year thus far. I think we need to appreciate what we have on the team already before making any trades. At times, it seems to me that people suggest trades and ignore what we already have in the works. I hope we don't trade our 1st unless the return is amazing.

There will always be the Trademaniacs. LOL

Although if Hagelin is available from LAK I would rather we obtain him one of our foes. Plus we get a look at him for maybe next season.