The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I’m not worried about this upcoming TDL, I’m confident enough in BT to make the smart play at this point in the season. We’ve already given up a lot to get here so we still have to remain active on the draft front. However we are in a very unique position right now sitting in 2nd overall. Do we go all in at TDL and not take this season for granted?...or do we still need to play this out and see if we are for real with our future still in mind?

Does a 2019 1st, 2020 2nd and Bennett get Couturier? Is that even a move we would want to make. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Couturier-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

That looks like a pretty deadly group of forwards for the next few years.

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does a 2019 1st, 2020 2nd and Bennett get Couturier? Is that even a move we would want to make. 

Tkachuk-Couturier-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

I would think Philly would want a similar return to that of the Schenn to STL deal. 2 1sts and a roster player at minimum would be my guess

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Couturier-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

Look how far the expectations of Bennett has fallen, in a season where he is playing decent and better than the last. Just months ago many were steadfast that all Bennett lacked was good line mates and he is destined to be #1 center, just give him a fighting chance.  Now we are suggesting to package him out with a 1st plus a 2nd round pick for a #2 center from PHI. I wouldn't do that deal and I'm waiting impatiently to see what Bennett brings to this team come post season.

46 minutes ago, rickross said:

I’m not worried about this upcoming TDL, I’m confident enough in BT to make the smart play at this point in the season. We’ve already given up a lot to get here so we still have to remain active on the draft front. However we are in a very unique position right now sitting in 2nd overall. Do we go all in at TDL and not take this season for granted?...or do we still need to play this out and see if we are for real with our future still in mind?

I think we are all in, is this not why you build your roster at the beginning of the season. Where do you see a weakness with this team ? I would say you only add if you believe you have certain positions that will fail you in the challenge.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If the team is going to be upset by bringing in a player or two then they probably aren't championship material. You have to be much stronger mentally than that. 

I am not saying they have to bring someone in and I am not saying that chemistry isn't important, but almost every Stanley Cup winner in the last 15 years has added someone at the deadline.

Are the players going to stop playing because we brought in an upgrade on a Mangiapane or Kylington for the 4th line or 3rd pairings, if they do we have bigger problems.

Bringing in a Hagelin or Bouwmeester to fill some depth spots could be seen as management believing in the group and giving them a better chance at winning.

Get friggin real, seriously do you know anything about team chemistry, I would say you don't. Who did WAS add, who did VEG add last season ? If you are worrying about changing up Mangiapane and Kylington you are lost. I said I could get behind Hagelin because LW 4th line has been a revolving door and he would be way better than Quine. I wouldn't pay through the nose for him as a rental when I could pick him up as a UFA. As far as our defensemen go I worry about Brodie more than Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington but I wouldn't change Brodie. Put some faith in the team in front of you for a change.

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Couturier-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

Ignoring the Bennett perspective for a moment, why the heck would Philly trade a player like that?

If a couple of picks and Bennett gets you a guy with FO% this year of 57% and just coming off a 70 point season, I am all for it.

Not complaining about Bennett, but isn;t that the type of player we were hoping to get when we drafted him?

Sure, expectations have changed, but that is one heck of a player we would be getting IMHO.

Fact that he's signed for 3 more seasons at 4.3m....

He's also a big time playoff player....

Dream on, but I like the concept.

7 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Look how far the expectations of Bennett has fallen, in a season where he is playing decent and better than the last. Just months ago many were steadfast that all Bennett lacked was good line mates and he is destined to be #1 center, just give him a fighting chance.  Now we are suggesting to package him out with a 1st plus a 2nd round pick for a #2 center from PHI. I wouldn't do that deal and I'm waiting impatiently to see what Bennett brings to this team come post season.

Couturier is a #1 center and one of the best two way players in the league. He had 31 goals and 76 points last season and is on pace for 32 goals and 66 points this year. 

I like Bennett a lot but he isn't a top 6 player in this league and I don't think he will become one. What he is is a real good physical 3rd line player that can play all 3 forward positions. You have to give to get. I don't want to give up Bennett, but if I am getting a star player like Couturier in return I do that deal 

Couturier also has 3 more years $4.3m, that contract comes with a ton of value.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ignoring the Bennett perspective for a moment, why the heck would Philly trade a player like that?

If a couple of picks and Bennett gets you a guy with FO% this year of 57% and just coming off a 70 point season, I am all for it.

Not complaining about Bennett, but isn;t that the type of player we were hoping to get when we drafted him?

Sure, expectations have changed, but that is one heck of a player we would be getting IMHO.

Fact that he's signed for 3 more seasons at 4.3m....

He's also a big time playoff player....

Dream on, but I like the concept.

You are most likely right. I guess we just have to think what it would take for us to trade Monahan and that's what it would cost to get Couturier.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Get friggin real, seriously do you know anything about team chemistry, I would say you don't. Who did WAS add, who did VEG add last season ? If you are worrying about changing up Mangiapane and Kylington you are lost. I said I could get behind Hagelin because LW 4th line has been a revolving door and he would be way better than Quine. I wouldn't pay through the nose for him as a rental when I could pick him up as a UFA. As far as our defensemen go I worry about Brodie more than Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington but I wouldn't change Brodie. Put some faith in the team in front of you for a change.

lol you are hilarious.

Washington got Jakub Jerabek and Michal Kempny. Kempny played a big role on their blueline, even though they had Madison Bowey who was a highly thought of rookie who played 51 games in the regular season. Too bad they didn't win the Cup though...

Vegas picked up Tomas Tatar and Ryan Reaves at the deadline.

The year before that Pittsburgh picked up Ron Hainsey at the deadline. The deadline before that they picked up Justin Schultz.

In 2015 Chicago brought in Vermette, Timonen, and Desjardins.

In 2014 LA picked up Gaborik and McNabb.

Tell me when to stop...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

You are most likely right. I guess we just have to think what it would take for us to trade Monahan and that's what it would cost to get Couturier.

I wish you were right.  I would imagine FF52 would laugh at you for the suggestion, but I keep an open mind.  If there was some talk of him being shopped, I would go hard after him.  Just don't know what the price is with Hextal gone and no Chia there.  What Duchene went for would be a good comp, yet Duchene wasn't even as good IMHO.

If we are looking at available players, I would imagine the list might include:

Stone (truly expensive and a tough re-sign)

Duchene (better than Bennett but not worth paying a crazy rental fee unless you are sure he will re-sign for similar money)

Hayes (why would he re-sign here)

Panarin (crazy expensive to trade for, but it seems like CBJ may not get a chance to re-sign him before the summer)

Toffoli (not having much success)

Silfverberg (good choice, but only available to us if ANA is out of playoff picture)

Puljujarvi (I would trade for him and keep him in the AHL as long as possible; he needs to grow into the NA game)

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Just months ago many were steadfast that all Bennett lacked was good line mates and he is destined to be #1 center, just give him a fighting chance.  

"Months ago"?!  You means "years ago".

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

"Months ago"?!  You means "years ago".

Has it been years already? Wouldn't surprise me with the grey in my...…... 

Seemed like just yesterday you were in favour of Bennett carrying the puck into the Ozone on the PP instead of JHG. 

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

Seemed like just yesterday you were in favour of Bennett carrying the puck into the Ozone on the PP instead of JHG. 

That was last year bro.  And I don't mean 4 weeks ago.

Bennett is developing into something like the next Nick Foligno type of depth leader.  He will be useful in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Show some respect, just a little snow on the roof drifting onto the fences. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bennett is developing into something like the next Nick Foligno type of depth leader.  He will be useful in the playoffs.

He's already bordering Foligno, too early to call imo.

Like Couturier.:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's not a bad comparison there, if Bennett turns into a Nick Foligno we have a keeper. 

I'm all for getting Stone if we plan to re-sign him long term (even medium term).  If we are clearly renting then it doesn't make sense.  It's smarter to try and sign him this summer along with everybody else.

Which means, as part of the trade, the Sens will have to take on Frolik and his salary.  Which also makes sens if Stone takes Frolik's spot alongside Tkachuk - Backlund.

1st + Frolik + prospect (which I think has to be Dube, not our D because all our D are on our current roster.  We would want to trade someone not on our current roster).

But we have to extend Stone for at least 3 years to make this trade worth it.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's already bordering Foligno, too early to call imo.

Like Couturier.:ph34r:

Ya but no way Philly trades Couturier for Bennett.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

For those who feel that the Flames should stand Pat, I 100% understand that line of thinking and I can't say that it's wrong. That being said I was listening to the Spitting Chicklets podcast yesterday and they were interviewing Ray Bourque and they were talking about his days with the Bruins and he sounded almost bitter that management didn't do more to help the team's win by bringing in players. He said that there were a few years where he felt they were a player or two away from going all the way and management didn't help them out.

I don't recall the Ray Bourque Bruins being #1 seed in their conference going into the playoffs.  The Lemeuix - Jagr Penguins dominated for so long.  Ray Bourque had reason to complain.  At present time, we don't have that same problem.  We are the #1 seed.  We are the team everybody is wondering how to beat.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't recall the Ray Bourque Bruins being #1 seed in their conference going into the playoffs.  The Lemeuix - Jagr Penguins dominated for so long.  Ray Bourque had reason to complain.  At present time, we don't have that same problem.  We are the #1 seed.  We are the team everybody is wondering how to beat.

Bourque missed the playoffs twice in his 100 year career. In his mind his team may of been a player or two away from going all the way somewhere along the line.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya but no way Philly trades Couturier for Bennett.

Right.

I just meant Couturier took awhile.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

lol you are hilarious.

Washington got Jakub Jerabek and Michal Kempny. Kempny played a big role on their blueline, even though they had Madison Bowey who was a highly thought of rookie who played 51 games in the regular season. Too bad they didn't win the Cup though...

The year before that Pittsburgh picked up Ron Hainsey at the deadline. The deadline before that they picked up Justin Schultz.

Tell me when to stop...

TDL deals have worked in the past and we shouldn't shy away from it if the right deal landed on our lap.  In '04, I believe we traded for Chris Simon at the deadline and it paid huge dividends.

No matter what we do, I'd like to see us manage our roster for a 4 to 5 year Cup window.  This means we should keep our picks as they will help in year 4 and 5.  We should hang onto Dube if we can.  

We aren't in an "all-in" situation.  Our core is young signed long term to a fair deal. And Giordano is still elite.

In comparison, a team like the Sharks might want to go all in because of aging vets and Karlsson may leave them this summer.

The Leafs are going all in because of pending cap issues next season.

The Jets may want to go all in this year because they have big name free agents this summer that they will lose one or two of.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

lol you are hilarious.

Tell me when to stop...

I do agree we need to add, but not a top 6 forward. We have a solid top 6 roster with forwards but lack depth scoring. As for trading Benny would we not be looking to trade for a guy like this. Guys of interest Nyquist, Ferland or Dizingel. Ferly we know what we get out of the 3 Nyquist brings an element that fits our style. Mcquiad would be my choice on D.