The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Since i mentioned Courturier, I will add that I agree I can't fathom why Philly would want to trade him as I consider him to have one of the best contracts in the league and he's an excellent player. But at the same time when your GM flat out says publicly that the only untouchable on your roster is Giroux it's going to create speculation and discussion. I'm not in favor of a big trade deadline move unless something falls in your lap and this is one of those situations. I would be willing to give up quite a big to get Couturier including guys like Bennett, Janko, Kylington, maybe even Rasmus Andersson. 

Unlikely to happen but Treliving should be making the calls. 

i'd be hesitant to get rid of Ras... what RS D do we have in the system to replace him?

2 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

i'd be hesitant to get rid of Ras... what RS D do we have in the system to replace him?

Completely agree. But that's how highly I think of Couturier and how much I think he would move the needle in making the Flames an elite team the next few years. Have to give to get. Wouldn't be my starting point but it's just something I would consider. 

Couturier would be freaking awesome, i agree... i'd be worried that our D would start looking like that dumpster fire up north though, lol.

56 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Don't stop because you seem to feed off this stuff. I disagree that those two put WAS over the top to win the SC. If I remember correctly Tatar was a dud for Vegas last season.

Hainsey won PIT the SC. I could sit here and refute everything you want to post but I have better things to do however I have a better understanding of where you deal from.

You asked who did Washington and Vegas add, I answered. I showed you that teams that win the Cup add all the time and it doesn't seem to upset their chemistry. 

I think we could use a couple of depth pieces and I think if Treliving does a thorough job as he usually does he can add with upsetting the team chemistry. I think in a 7 game series depth plays a huge role in winning and if the coach doesn't trust having rookies out on the ice at certain points in the game we will be behind the 8 ball in some regards.

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Oh definitely. I don’t see the Flames making that kind of deal. I am just adding to the conversation as I don’t see some of the combinations as doable and see the Flames having to add more in deals that some suggest. 

I also like the idea of the Flames keeping their 1st rounder. 

I think the Flames need a strong 2019 Draft to keep building up the system. Some of these trade ideas border on or are ridiculous .

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Since i mentioned Courturier, I will add that I agree I can't fathom why Philly would want to trade him as I consider him to have one of the best contracts in the league and he's an excellent player. But at the same time when your GM flat out says publicly that the only untouchable on your roster is Giroux it's going to create speculation and discussion. I'm not in favor of a big trade deadline move unless something falls in your lap and this is one of those situations. I would be willing to give up quite a big to get Couturier including guys like Bennett, Janko, Kylington, maybe even Rasmus Andersson. 

Unlikely to happen but Treliving should be making the calls. 

If Couturier and Stone costs the same to acquire, then I would go with Couturier 10 times out of 10.  

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

You asked who did Washington and Vegas add, I answered. I showed you that teams that win the Cup add all the time and it doesn't seem to upset their chemistry. 

I think we could use a couple of depth pieces and I think if Treliving does a thorough job as he usually does he can add with upsetting the team chemistry. I think in a 7 game series depth plays a huge role in winning and if the coach doesn't trust having rookies out on the ice at certain points in the game we will be behind the 8 ball in some regards.

I gave you my thoughts and back your idea of getting Hagelin if the price is right. Maybe start with Czarnik and a 3rd.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If Couturier and Stone costs the same to acquire, then I would go with Couturier 10 times out of 10.  

I think the cost would be a fair bit higher on Couturier as he's signed, not a pending UFA, and signed to such a great deal.

But I think he could move the needle for the Flames more than Stone and Stone is too difficult to keep here long term IMO. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think the cost would be a fair bit higher on Couturier as he's signed, not a pending UFA, and signed to such a great deal.

But I think he could move the needle for the Flames more than Stone and Stone is too difficult to keep here long term IMO. 

True.  Couturier is more valuable due to his solid contract.  It will probably start with Hanifin.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I gave you my thoughts and back your idea of getting Hagelin if the price is right. Maybe start with Czarnik and a 3rd.

I think we can get Hagelin cheaper than that, but maybe I am wrong. I think maybe just the 3rd.

• Like 1

Personally I don’t want anything to do with hagelin. He’s got some speed but outside of that I don’t think he moves the needle much. It’s maybe a marginal improvement. We should target someone who would project to make a more significant improvement to our bottom 6. Depth scoring for instance. 

• Like 3

Lebrun really seems to think Treliving wants Ferland back, I doubt it. From a CAR standpoint, it's not a great look for them to give him back to us given how the deal has panned out. Also last week on the Fan, Burke mentioned that they were ready to move Ferland given how inconsistent he is, only scored twice in the last 30 some games last season. He also mentioned they grew tired of not being able to get him to bring his "A" game all the time. Seems like an unlikely move

Wonder what value Frolik has on the market, could potentiallypackage him with Czarnik/Stone for a some quality pieces in return. I still think there’s use in Frolik and even Stone as a depth piece still holds value. 

21 minutes ago, rickross said:

Wonder what value Frolik has on the market, could potentiallypackage him with Czarnik/Stone for a some quality pieces in return. I still think there’s use in Frolik and even Stone as a depth piece still holds value. 

If we should find some success in this years playoffs I think Frolik and Stone will be contributing handsomely along the way.

28 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

If we should find some success in this years playoffs I think Frolik and Stone will be contributing handsomely along the way.

I still have a hard time seeing the value in stone, maybe a 7th d man in case one of the rookies starts falling to the pressure. I understand a veteran presence would help but he only has 6 playoff games in his career and unless he plays with alot more sandpaper and learns to hit the net with his shot, theres no real improvement to the d line.

30 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Frolik yes.

Stone, nah.

Stone will only be kept as a Black Ace.  Will get some reps before the playoffs.  That's about it.

BP is starting to use Ras on the 2nd PP unit and thinking about PK.

Frolik, on the other hand, has brought back the 3M line to being 2 way.

He's a better PK'er than Bennett and Hathaway.

Use him on top or 2nd PK unit, depending on how you want to deploy Backlund and Lindholm.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

That's very interesting. Lebrun has been pretty plugged into the Flames since Treliving took the job so I tend to really listen when he speaks on the Flames. 

• Like 1

Well this years tdl im not a fan of messing with the team chemistry it always seem to disrupt this team for some reason, but if the flames make any moves there are only 3 players on the trade bait board, I think they should even consider...

Stone RW Ott fits 1/2 RW if the opportunity is there it’s a no brainer 

Cici RD Ott which is the most interest they should have as Gio is getting older and we have some flexibility here with our young D 

Brovoski (sp?) G Cbl I think? More a insurance upgrade to Smith or support for Rittich

Thing is I’m not positive about what needs to be given up for any of those three...but if a move is to be done that’s  the rout I’d go if we were to buy....

the best thing they could do is look at moving out some of the players we got in the offseason as insurance to your core Neil, Ryan etc... they were good to bring in as our core had not exactly reached that next level, but they did so less may be more for this team opens up money for upcoming contacts and some ability to add in the off season or whatever 

should be interesting, but I do hope they don’t bring in guys around 30 or older totally NOT needed 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/jan-2019/flames-looking-to-add-before-deadline/

Another article suggesting we are looking at Ferland and Simmonds.

Apologies to the Ferland supporters here. I really hope that this is just another silly rumour. Ferland has some speed and a good set of hands. He is also capable of being a presence in the playoffs. The problem is that he does not show up often enough, so the talent is somewhat wasted. He is also no longer able to be the guy who stapled Bieksa into the boards with the concussion problem and all. I doubt Treliving would go this route. We will see.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/jan-2019/flames-looking-to-add-before-deadline/

Another article suggesting we are looking at Ferland and Simmonds.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-scouting-buf-dal-and-pit-tb-rangers-islanders-and-hurricanes/2019/01/31/

We had two scouts at the TB-PIT game last night. Brassard might be the one they are scouting, but I feel like he is going to cost a lot.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/31/friedman-on-rangers-trade-possibilities

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but Friedman saying we might be looking at Zuccarello. 

I having a hard time understanding something. Why does it seem that even with the season the Flames have had so far that everyone still thinks we need to make a major move at the deadline. Yes I'm in the camp of not needing to acquire anything substantial, maybe 4th line grit and I understand BT is known for major deals. But considering last year the teams play went south really bad right after the 5 day break, I would wait until closer to the deadline to see how the team deals with it this year. It's a different team from last year and hopefully they can continue as before.

• Like 1

I wonder if these hockey bloggers make any money? Considering all of JTechs links are basically rumors of ideas that have been circulating for weeks already.

I'm going to start a blog and cash in. Look forward to unsubstantiatedNHLrumors.com (no link........yet).

• Like 1