The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

22 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I wonder if these hockey bloggers make any money? Considering all of JTechs links are basically rumors of ideas that have been circulating for weeks already.

I'm going to start a blog and cash in. Look forward to unsubstantiatedNHLrumors.com (no link........yet).

I think the money is in the ads. If they get ads on their blogs it earns them more. With more visitors etc. 

I am guessing it is like youtube. You get enough views and once it gets over a threshold of viewers, they start making money off of the amount of views due to probably advertising.

29 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I having a hard time understanding something. Why does it seem that even with the season the Flames have had so far that everyone still thinks we need to make a major move at the deadline. Yes I'm in the camp of not needing to acquire anything substantial, maybe 4th line grit and I understand BT is known for major deals. But considering last year the teams play went south really bad right after the 5 day break, I would wait until closer to the deadline to see how the team deals with it this year. It's a different team from last year and hopefully they can continue as before.

To be fair, they are saying the same thing about Tampa who are clearly the best team in the league.

• Like 2

For me, I’m looking at 2 players to target. I originally was eye balling Brassard, but I’ve shifted my focus to one of Staal or Schenn. Having either one of these players slot in on line 3 would push the needle significantly for us, and I don’t think the ask would be extremely high for either of them (read: I don’t believe a 1st pick would have to be part of the deal). 

Staal is on an expiring contract. Schenn has one more year left and is having a down year statistically - however, he is still generating assists for his line mates. Having either one playing with Neal would significantly enhance our forward depth. 

I’d prefer Schenn - I like his compete and fiery attitude, and I’d be comfortable with BT figuring out the cap situation in the offseason. If the plan for fitting everyone under the cap is a concern in the off-season, then look at Staal. 

26 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

For me, I’m looking at 2 players to target. I originally was eye balling Brassard, but I’ve shifted my focus to one of Staal or Schenn. Having either one of these players slot in on line 3 would push the needle significantly for us, and I don’t think the ask would be extremely high for either of them (read: I don’t believe a 1st pick would have to be part of the deal). 

Staal is on an expiring contract. Schenn has one more year left and is having a down year statistically - however, he is still generating assists for his line mates. Having either one playing with Neal would significantly enhance our forward depth. 

I’d prefer Schenn - I like his compete and fiery attitude, and I’d be comfortable with BT figuring out the cap situation in the offseason. If the plan for fitting everyone under the cap is a concern in the off-season, then look at Staal. 

I see Tkachuk signing at about 7-7.5, or at least it is the hope, and me counting on BT working his in-house signing magic.

i kind of wish the Flames didn’t sign Ryan. He seems like a slight upgrade on Stajan, but I guess the faceoff ability really matters. But what I mean is that 3M per would be handy in the future. 

Neal, I get why and is possibly salvaged. Like you said, if a C that can get assists comes in, maybe it gets him going.

a lot to think about. Or not a lot, but a few minor adds.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I wonder if these hockey bloggers make any money? Considering all of JTechs links are basically rumors of ideas that have been circulating for weeks already.

I'm going to start a blog and cash in. Look forward to unsubstantiatedNHLrumors.com (no link........yet).

To be fair, JTECH is simply adding links that defer to the most respected reporters like LeBrun and Friedman.

Like cross mentioned, LeBrun is plugged in. He's also very balanced and protects his rep well.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I see Tkachuk signing at about 7-7.5, or at least it is the hope, and me counting on BT working his in-house signing magic.

i kind of wish the Flames didn’t sign Ryan. He seems like a slight upgrade on Stajan, but I guess the faceoff ability really matters. But what I mean is that 3M per would be handy in the future. 

Neal, I get why and is possibly salvaged. Like you said, if a C that can get assists comes in, maybe it gets him going.

If they give Tkachuk the same amount of cap percentage as Gaudreau (9.25%), he would be at $7.6775/year. At 8 years its probably a good deal, any less we might lose some years on. That being said, you cant count out BT, and if this comes in close to $7MM/year we are in good shape.

Maybe even good enough to sign stone, lol. I'm gonna beat that horse till it dies.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Bring in a $5-mil guy to get another $5-mil guy going.  Geez.  Cut bait with Neal already.  

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

This is where my head is at as well. I appreciate the faceoff ability but to be locked in for 3 years with the soft play in other facets of his game... as for Tkachuk, there may be a changing of the guard with signings. Starting to look like max term contracts may be going the way of the dodo. If $7mil is the target, I trust BT will negotiate a term that works. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Bring in a $5-mil guy to get another $5-mil guy going.  Geez.  Cut bait with Neal already.  

I hear you people. I get it. Im very black and white when it comes to Neal as well. Either trade him now for a better fit, or bring in another player to compliment his game. However...

I used to believe in “complete players” that play a 200’ game and are good at almost every metric. Unfortunately, no one will ever ice a team 3 lines deep of complete players. Thus, my view is evolving and I am now starting to believe in icing players who specialize in something (Neal: goal scoring) and bringing in other players that compliment the style of play (Schenn: setup man). 

For example, take a look at our top line. What did Lindholm do in Carolina? What’s he doing now? Alternatively, Is there a coincidence that our top line isn’t being scored on at the same rate since Lindholm joined the fold? Sure, we can point to JG’s newly found backchecking efforts, but I’d argue that those players have added something to each other’s game. And right now, Neal doesn’t have complimentary players for his game. We’ve got our top line. We’ve got 3M. Let’s get something better going on line 3. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What would be ideal is using Neal in a trade to get Schenn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't really look at it at that. I look at it that right now probably the most under performing line on the Flames is the 3rd line mostly because of center play IMO. An upgrade at 3rd line center make that whole line better and as a by product Neal. Could put Bennett in that conversation too. 

Probably need to realize Neal isn't going anywhere. To the Flames benefit to get that 3rd line going and that depth, not just to get Neal going. 

• Like 2

If we are looking at acquiring Ferland or a Simmonds, I am wondering if going after Kreider makes more sense. The acquisition cost would probably be the same but Kreider comes with an extra year. Kreider also is a better goal scorer. The one thing that Ferland and Simmonds give you is a RW, I am not sure if Kreider can play the other side or not.

15 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

What would be ideal is using Neal in a trade to get Schenn.

The talking heads suggest you could get Schenn for less, so that would be an overpayment.

Bennett-Schenn-Neal could be a very dangerous third line (who go up against weaker defense pairings), and, if you’re still inclined to trade him, this lineup could increase Neal’s trade value come the summer when 30 teams have cap flexibility. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If we are looking at acquiring Ferland or a Simmonds, I am wondering if going after Kreider makes more sense. The acquisition cost would probably be the same but Kreider comes with an extra year. Kreider also is a better goal scorer. The one thing that Ferland and Simmonds give you is a RW, I am not sure if Kreider can play the other side or not.

I don't agree Kreider is a better fit. I would say Simmonds personally. Of the 3, Simmonds is the "battle down low" best fit imho.

I think we're hard to play against due to the offensive pressure and he fits that best.

But all of these names are good and well, but what are we willing to part with?

As a "new" team to the top of the charts, I'm equally fine doing nothing and learning this from within.

We could get Crosby rn and still lose, for perspective.

Lots of things look great on paper, but how does it balance out? What do we lose?

I'm not spending a 1st personally. Why? I'm new to being a top team, but I'm just starting.

BT is entering maturity, Burke is credited, seems perfect.

IF Rittich keeps it up. Too funny, we gave G away to vets, no luck.

End up with the guy we gave little chance. The guy that had to earn it.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I would go for Schenn, what would the cost be becomes the question ?

This is not something I’m well-versed on. Having read that article on TSN, it sounds like it wouldn’t cost us our first. If it wouldn’t cost us our first, I think that implies it wouldn’t cost us Bennett or Jankowski. Having said that, do they have an appetite for Ryan and/or Czarnik? Would a prospect do it and a later round pick? Maybe just a 2nd rounder in 2020 (since we don’t have one this year)? 

I know some on here can calculate trade value, so I open the question to them as well. Please chime in!

I like that Schenn has another year on his deal. Gives us center depth for this year and next while our cup window is open. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't really look at it at that. I look at it that right now probably the most under performing line on the Flames is the 3rd line mostly because of center play IMO. An upgrade at 3rd line center make that whole line better and as a by product Neal. Could put Bennett in that conversation too. 

Probably need to realize Neal isn't going anywhere. To the Flames benefit to get that 3rd line going and that depth, not just to get Neal going. 

I still really like Kevin Hayes for that third line center spot between Neal and Bennett. I think that line would give teams fits and be the depth we need in the playoffs. Not sure what it would take to get him as a rental though. 

3 hours ago, lou44291 said:

The talking heads suggest you could get Schenn for less, so that would be an overpayment.

Bennett-Schenn-Neal could be a very dangerous third line (who go up against weaker defense pairings), and, if you’re still inclined to trade him, this lineup could increase Neal’s trade value come the summer when 30 teams have cap flexibility. :ph34r:

Because what's better than two under acheivers on one line is THREE under acheivers on one line.  Somehow, Schenn can't score with top 6 minutes and top 6 linemates like Tarasenko but once put with Neal, then wow, watch out?

While Schenn may be having a down season, doubt the Blues move him as they are in the playoff race again.

Also he’s coming off a 70 point season last year, worth keeping in mind that thus far Monahan hasn’t even hit 70 points in a season (although he will this year). Price won’t be that cheap to acquire 

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Because what's better than two under acheivers on one line is THREE under acheivers on one line.  Somehow, Schenn can't score with top 6 minutes and top 6 linemates like Tarasenko but once put with Neal, then wow, watch out?

Playing against 2nd/3rd pairing D? Maybe! ;) 

Well, we’re all just speculating here peeps. Trying to improve the team while being cost conscious at the same time. It seems like most on here are averse to trading our first rounder, so I’ve been using that as a guide. Where do you see our area of need? Who would you trade for and at what cost? 

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

To be fair, JTECH is simply adding links that defer to the most respected reporters like LeBrun and Friedman.

Like cross mentioned, LeBrun is plugged in. He's also very balanced and protects his rep well.

Oh I'm not questioning the validity of the sources, it's just there seems to be so many blogs out there that seem to parrot each other when a reliable source says something. I guess thats alot of what the internet is.

• Like 1

I was listening to an interview with Derek Wills and he said that he was talking to a few players and they feel like they are in a great position to go for it this year and that you can't know what will happen next year.

Take from that what you will, but to me it sounds like a team that would welcome some help. 

I also wonder about a guy like Giordano, he probably knows that you only get so many chances and this might be his best chance at a Cup. I am guessing his teammates would probably love to get one for the captain as well.

RANGERS

James Neal

Derek Ryan

Dillion Dube

Dalton Prout

2019 1st rnd pick

2020 1st rnd pick

2019 5th rd pick

FLAMES

Kevin Hayes

Mika Zibanejad 

Anthony Deangleo

7 hours ago, TheBurn said:

Mika Zibanejad 

If Sean Couturier is too expensive, then I would check into Zibanejad.  He just scored a hat trick yesterday.