The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

It's harder and harder to find that trade though, and that targeted guy living up to expectations. We expect lightning in a bottle addition, there is no deal that we can make real for Hudler/Russell/Wideman/Stajan combos, let alone dead weights, wink wink.

Maybe a Pominville and middling picks?

At what point should you keep gathering up 18yos and forget fleecing 29 other solid GMs?

Build your own stuff.

We're not at asset for asset cap mgmt atm, imho.

That has been a but frustrating it's still early but you'd like to see some...anyone out of our prospect pool make the jump. It would be great to be more self sufficient with the prospects a la Detroit model. Not expecting them all to work out but for years we kept hearing the hype around the Sieloffs, Wotherspoon's, Poiriers and so on. Some of the guys in our system are running out of time to make an impression

I'm not asking him to do that however he may play well enough with those two making that line productive. Same for any line you want players that compliment each other on the ice not just on paper.

That's the thing with Frolik is he has that potential to put up numbers, he does just about everything else right..the right line mates could really turn his contract into a steal.

I think the biggest thing we have to come to terms with is that our forward unit is fairly small. I think we can divide smaller forwards up:

Work well within their weight class:

Gaudreau(obvious), Frolik, Bennett

Debatable

Backlund, Granlund, Hudler

I think the biggest thing we have to come to terms with is that our forward unit is fairly small. I think we can divide smaller forwards up:

Work well within their weight class:

Gaudreau(obvious), Frolik, Bennett

Debatable

Backlund, Granlund, Hudler

What are you saying here ?

I think he is saying play Hudler and Gaudreau separate to even out the size of each line.

Ah OK. I don't disagree with trying to mix in some size for the top two lines but I would try this with healthy players.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik

Ferland, Bennett, Hudler

Then try these for the secondary 3rd and 4th lines.

Granlund, Backlund, Jooris

Colborne, Stajan, Jones  (with Bouma out)

Ah OK. I don't disagree with trying to mix in some size for the top two lines but I would try this with healthy players.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik

Ferland, Bennett, Hudler

Then try these for the secondary 3rd and 4th lines.

Granlund, Backlund, Jooris

Colborne, Stajan, Jones  (with Bouma out)

That is not a bad mix, but I have liked what I saw with Bennett and Frolik playing together.  Here's an alternative:

Ferland - Monahan - Hudler

Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik

I am suggesting that because I haven't seen much chemistry between Bennett and Hudler.  The 1st line becomes a scoring, forechecking line, while the 2nd is a potential monster scoring line with some defensive responsibility.  No slight to Johnny, but he and Monahan together are not that great in their own zone.

If you opt to keep Johnny/Mony together, then keep Fer-daddy up with them.  You can put Hudler on the Bennett's LW and Frolik on RW.

You're suggested 3rd and 4th lines are fine.  Colborne has shown he can play with Jones and Stajan.  Granlund on Backlund's LW would probably allow the Finn to get back his scoring touch.

Gonna toss this one out there for comments.  Cody Hodgson was waived by Nashville.  $1m salary expiring this summer.  Worth picking from the scrapheap or just lest him rot?  He hasn't done anything noteworthy, and I'm not a big fan of projects that have had a history of attitude problems.  He isn't that big but is a RHS.

Yea or Nay (or Nay, Nay).

That is not a bad mix, but I have liked what I saw with Bennett and Frolik playing together.  Here's an alternative:

Ferland - Monahan - Hudler

Gaudreau - Bennett - Frolik

I am suggesting that because I haven't seen much chemistry between Bennett and Hudler.  The 1st line becomes a scoring, forechecking line, while the 2nd is a potential monster scoring line with some defensive responsibility.  No slight to Johnny, but he and Monahan together are not that great in their own zone.

If you opt to keep Johnny/Mony together, then keep Fer-daddy up with them.  You can put Hudler on the Bennett's LW and Frolik on RW.

You're suggested 3rd and 4th lines are fine.  Colborne has shown he can play with Jones and Stajan.  Granlund on Backlund's LW would probably allow the Finn to get back his scoring touch.

I don't mind this either.

Gonna toss this one out there for comments. Cody Hodgson was waived by Nashville. $1m salary expiring this summer. Worth picking from the scrapheap or just lest him rot? He hasn't done anything noteworthy, and I'm not a big fan of projects that have had a history of attitude problems. He isn't that big but is a RHS.

It'd say Nay, he's failed to live up to expectations and has had many opportunities with many teams. If he couldn't succeed in Buffalo with a world of opportunity there, I'd say the writings on the wall. Id rather we call up someone from the AHL at this point before taking on another project like u mentioned.

Gonna toss this one out there for comments. Cody Hodgson was waived by Nashville. $1m salary expiring this summer. Worth picking from the scrapheap or just lest him rot? He hasn't done anything noteworthy, and I'm not a big fan of projects that have had a history of attitude problems. He isn't that big but is a RHS.

I'm not sure his skating is good enough to keep up with today's game.

Here is my wacky suggestion of the day:

Tyler Ennis.

It sounds like he might be available in Buffalo, he has a $4.6m cap hit for 3 more years. He is small and I know we want to get bigger, but he is super skilled. I see him as a Hudler replacement. He's 26 and can play all 3 positions.

I just don't know what he would cost to acquire. If he is available at the right price, is he worth taking on.

I'm not sure his skating is good enough to keep up with today's game.

Here is my wacky suggestion of the day:

Tyler Ennis.

It sounds like he might be available in Buffalo, he has a $4.6m cap hit for 3 more years. He is small and I know we want to get bigger, but he is super skilled. I see him as a Hudler replacement. He's 26 and can play all 3 positions.

I just don't know what he would cost to acquire. If he is available at the right price, is he worth taking on.

We will never beat the 3 California teams with Ennis as a top 6 player on this team.  I don't see him as a fit.

We will never beat the 3 California teams with Ennis as a top 6 player on this team. I don't see him as a fit.

I get what you are saying but each of the California teams has 3 years or less of top level play before their cores age out. I think the Calgary's, the Arizona's and maybe the Edmonton's will take over the division with speed and skill.

Gonna toss this one out there for comments.  Cody Hodgson was waived by Nashville.  $1m salary expiring this summer.  Worth picking from the scrapheap or just lest him rot?  He hasn't done anything noteworthy, and I'm not a big fan of projects that have had a history of attitude problems.  He isn't that big but is a RHS.

Pass. I don't see any value he can add and he doesn't play near what his talent level should. Nashville should have been his wakeup call and given it wasn't I see no reason to be the next team in line because if Nasvhille didn't straighten him out I don't think anyone can. 

We will never beat the 3 California teams with Ennis as a top 6 player on this team.  I don't see him as a fit.

I wouldn't go that far personally. Hawks arn't overly physcial, especially in their top 6 and they beat all those teams. A really skilled team IMO will beat a decently skilled team with size.

However with Ennis I would have only lukewarm interest. He isn't the ideal size I agree with that but I'm not sure he is skilled enough to warrant his contract and what it might cost to get him and at a 4.6 cap hit I don't think he is great value for that $. Not an ideal fit so would rather not give up good quality assets to get him. 

I wouldn't go that far personally. Hawks arn't overly physcial, especially in their top 6 and they beat all those teams. A really skilled team IMO will beat a decently skilled team with size.

However with Ennis I would have only lukewarm interest. He isn't the ideal size I agree with that but I'm not sure he is skilled enough to warrant his contract and what it might cost to get him and at a 4.6 cap hit I don't think he is great value for that $. Not an ideal fit so would rather not give up good quality assets to get him.

I don't think that is fair, I would consider him as skilled if not more skilled than Hudler. The point totals might not be there the last couple of years but look at the team he has been playing on, nobody is putting up points. Play him in Hudler's spot with Gaudreau and Monahan and he's a 60+ point player.

I don't think that is fair, I would consider him as skilled if not more skilled than Hudler. The point totals might not be there the last couple of years but look at the team he has been playing on, nobody is putting up points. Play him in Hudler's spot with Gaudreau and Monahan and he's a 60+ point player.

Hudler still put up points on a team that finished low enough to draft 4th overall. I don't know the player, so I am only commenting on how Hudler still played well on a team that wasn't winning.

I wonder what is wrong with Hudler this year. He is a different player.

You are a bigger fan of him then I am then. 

IMO, Ennis is a really good player on the rush and pretty good on the premiter but not someone who can score goals in alot of tough areas or routinely make plays out of nothing as he is not a top end passer or puck distributer. Solid player don't get me wrong and he would probably be similar to Hudler iMO althought I think Hudler is stronger so he can play in those tough areas. I would suspect Ennis to be a 20 goal and 50ish point guy for the Flames and at a cap hit of 4.6 for 3 more yeras and probably a decent asset to acquire its too rich for me, all things considered.

Where I would be tempted to agree with you is if the cost comes down. If Buffalo is looking to get out from that deal and the price is really cheap I would have more interest becuase for me its more a situation that for the cap hit and cost to acquire I don't think the player coming back is worth all of it so my opinion could change if the cost was really down or you could maybe get buffalo to eat some of the money. 

If the Flames were to go after Ennis i think it would be for the 2nd line not the 1st line. I think Johny and Mony need someone who can work the boards and dig pucks out on the forecheck. That's not really Ennis game. 

Hudler still put up points on a team that finished low enough to draft 4th overall. I don't know the player, so I am only commenting on how Hudler still played well on a team that wasn't winning.

I wonder what is wrong with Hudler this year. He is a different player.

Personally I think it was the hit he took from that LA game late last season. He has not been the same since.

I really hope it is something like a groin that never healed properly and is okay now.

or

Maybe the Flames lowballed him an offer, asked him to take a big discount or something. I don't think this is it, as Huds does not seem like that type, but you never know.

Personally I think it was the hit he took from that LA game late last season. He has not been the same since.

I really hope it is something like a groin that never healed properly and is okay now.

or

Maybe the Flames lowballed him an offer, asked him to take a big discount or something. I don't think this is it, as Huds does not seem like that type, but you never know.

There was a play during the playoffs that he came off the ice and could barely stand up.  Think it was against the Ducks.  I can;t remember the exact game, but remember thinking he was injured.  Think he finished the game though.  

There was a play during the playoffs that he came off the ice and could barely stand up.  Think it was against the Ducks.  I can;t remember the exact game, but remember thinking he was injured.  Think he finished the game though.  

I thought he had a pulled groin and depending on how severe those can hamper anyone for awhile.

I thought he had a pulled groin and depending on how severe those can hamper anyone for awhile.

Not wearing shoes on a slippery floor at the awards show might have made it worse. It's all fun and games until someone pulls a groin.

• Like 1

It seems that was game 1 against the Ducks, where he played only about 8 minutes.  He was not the same after that, considering that he had 2g, 2a in the game before, but was a shadow on his former self in the Ducks series.

• Like 1

I like Hudler away from Gaudreau. I think their creativity are needed on separate lines. It helps Bennett. 

Although, I wouldn't be against having Bennett and Gaudreau tried, and have Monahan play with Hudler again. 

Not wearing shoes on a slippery floor at the awards show might have made it worse. It's all fun and games until someone pulls a groin.

LOL good take.

I like Hudler away from Gaudreau. I think their creativity are needed on separate lines. It helps Bennett. 

Although, I wouldn't be against having Bennett and Gaudreau tried, and have Monahan play with Hudler again. 

We are all starting to sound like BH. LOL

I said this in the roster thread, I like the idea of putting Hudler, Bennett and Frolik together with Granlund going down on LW with Backlund. Whether they will do that who knows, they seem to be stick on Granlund being a C.

Ferland is having a riot on the top line and seems to be taking on a sense of responsibility.

LOL good take.

We are all starting to sound like BH. LOL

I said this in the roster thread, I like the idea of putting Hudler, Bennett and Frolik together with Granlund going down on LW with Backlund. Whether they will do that who knows, they seem to be stick on Granlund being a C.

Ferland is having a riot on the top line and seems to be taking on a sense of responsibility.

Like all of these ideas.  Ferland on the top lines getting better and better.  They all were flying last night and meshing well together as if they've been playing together for a while.

As a side note, I thought Corbin Knight looked pretty good last night, both on face-offs and general strong play.  Good for him.  I always liked what he did for the community during the floods and hope he is able to stick with the Panthers.