The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hoffman is a guy we should target.  Not sure of the asking price, but it should be far less than Stone or Panarin.

The guy just scores.  We've been looking for that for some time.

Nothing against Frolik.  He's very good away from the puck, just not so much with it.

We could start with Czarnik, who could do well there.

Add to it with a pick and prospect.

I agree Hoffman will be cheap but probably not Czarnik cheap.  Probably will cost Mangiapane or Dube.  It would be good if it costs Frolik + 3rd.

Anaheim and LA are going to be very interesting teams at the deadline. Both are pretty clearly sellers at this point. The thing is both teams are tied to some older players, Anaheim has Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler. LA has Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick. Something isn't quite right with either mix, I am guessing both teams are going to be looking to rid themselves of salary and try to figure out what is going on with their teams.

I was a bit confused by the news that Murray had appointed himself as the interim head coach in Anaheim, but then I realized that he is probably just trying to get more info on what is wrong with his dressing room 

33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Anaheim and LA are going to be very interesting teams at the deadline. Both are pretty clearly sellers at this point. The thing is both teams are tied to some older players, Anaheim has Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler. LA has Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick. Something isn't quite right with either mix, I am guessing both teams are going to be looking to rid themselves of salary and try to figure out what is going on with their teams.

I was a bit confused by the news that Murray had appointed himself as the interim head coach in Anaheim, but then I realized that he is probably just trying to get more info on what is wrong with his dressing room 

It's interesting to see what these teams do with yesterday's Superstars.  I would even put Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook as interesting pieces.  Will they retain cap to move on from them?  They need to rebuild but can't if they cannot get rid of these players.

I know you can't target guys just for the shootout, but I was looking at Zuccarello and he is 16 for 31 in the last 5 seasons. I think Zuccarello fits other needs as well, but adding a guy who can score in shootout can't hurt. Have to make sure we get as many points as we can down the stretch.

I would much rather be in a position to play a wildcard team like Minnesota than San Jose or Vegas in the 1st round.

• Like 2

Rittich has a .905 save% in his last 15 starts. Have to wonder if goaltending becomes a bigger area of concern at the deadline. 

Maybe Jimmy Howard becomes the number 1 target at the deadline. I can't see there being too many teams in the running for his services so that might keep the price a bit lower. 

Another guy that might be worth taking a look at is Anders Nilsson, he just doesn't have the same pedigree of a Howard.

Hopefully Holland extends Howard before tdl.

I think he's one of the more dangerous players out there.

I would just as soon Detroit lock him up for 2 more.

Get him out of play. He worries me in who could get him.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Hopefully Holland extends Howard before tdl.

I think he's one of the more dangerous players out there.

I would just as soon Detroit lock him up for 2 more.

Get him out of play. He worries me in who could get him.

Getting Howard signed is probably what's best for Detroit, I guess it comes down to whether he wants to stay in Detroit through their rebuild.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Getting Howard signed is probably what's best for Detroit, I guess it comes down to whether he wants to stay in Detroit through their rebuild.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't wanna stay in Detroit.

Rent and Detroit re-sign I'd be good with.

For us. I honestly don't want him elsewhere.

I've seen him live in the playoffs a few times.

This is no laughing matter.

He's exceptional. imo

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's exceptional. imo

Oh yeah I think he has had a very good year and could be very good for us. 

It's not a knock on Rittich, he is still learning, but you only get so many chances at the Cup and this might be our best chance, and I think goaltending is too important of a position and we need more certainty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Oh yeah I think he has had a very good year and could be very good for us. 

It's not a knock on Rittich, he is still learning, but you only get so many chances at the Cup and this might be our best chance, and I think goaltending is too important of a position and we need more certainty.

I've never been for this idea before, but I'm wearing down. lol

Smith would have to be moved...

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've never been for this idea before, but I'm wearing down. lol

Smith would have to be moved...

I don;t see Smith as being much help from here on in.

SJS - eek

PITTS - help me

NAS - yikes

STL - water, water

COL - please score 5

PHI, VAN, DET - 4 goals anyone?

Rittich has a 5 spot and a few 4 spots, but mostly 3 or less.  We can win those.  Nice to have a backup we can count on.  Not just for B2B games, but to give Rittich a break if he has an off game.  He's been so consistent this season, which is a little unusual considering his previous records.  He needs help.  He's feeling more pressure than before because the team is letting him down more.  Last night should have been a 6-3 blowout, not tied going into OT.

Maybe if BT is not sold on Smith, Ryan Miller could be an option if he gets healthy in time. Proven track record in the playoffs and has been really good when healthy. I get he has trade protection as he has chose to live in So-Cal for family reasons, but father time is ticking and as a goalie who's done it all he's still missing that crown jewel, Lord Stanley. Wouldn't get much better of an opportunity than here to not only chase it, but to potentially play a big role in a run.

Smith also has trade protection, an 8 team no trade list to be exact, very little chance IMO that Anaheim is a market on that no trade list.

Maybe Smith and a couple late round picks for Miller if healthy and Del Zotto. Solves your backup G and LHD holes

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe if BT is not sold on Smith, Ryan Miller could be an option if he gets healthy in time. Proven track record in the playoffs and has been really good when healthy. I get he has trade protection as he has chose to live in So-Cal for family reasons, but father time is ticking and as a goalie who's done it all he's still missing that crown jewel, Lord Stanley. Wouldn't get much better of an opportunity than here to not only chase it, but to potentially play a big role in a run.

Smith also has trade protection, an 8 team no trade list to be exact, very little chance IMO that Anaheim is a market on that no trade list.

Maybe Smith and a couple late round picks for Miller if healthy and Del Zotto. Solves your backup G and LHD holes

I was thinking about Miller too, but he is coming off a serious MCL injury and hasn't played since December. I'd just be worried about how he would hold up coming off such a serious injury at his age.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was thinking about Miller too, but he is coming off a serious MCL injury and hasn't played since December. I'd just be worried about how he would hold up coming off such a serious injury at his age.

Yeah I'm not even sure if he would be healthy in 2 weeks. I have read that he's been skating, so there's a chance he could be back. The scary thing is the goalie trade market, is very thin. Probably most likely Smith sticks around

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Rittich has a .905 save% in his last 15 starts. Have to wonder if goaltending becomes a bigger area of concern at the deadline. 

Maybe Jimmy Howard becomes the number 1 target at the deadline. I can't see there being too many teams in the running for his services so that might keep the price a bit lower. 

Another guy that might be worth taking a look at is Anders Nilsson, he just doesn't have the same pedigree of a Howard.

But how much is Howard?  A 1st rounder?  For a back-up?  Man, if we trade a 1st, then it better be a 1st liner or top pairing D.  

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But how much is Howard?  A 1st rounder?  For a back-up?  Man, if we trade a 1st, then it better be a 1st liner or top pairing D.  

I doubt he costs that much. We are really the only team that's looking for a goalie at the deadline, so that will bring down the cost.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Those teams are stuck with those players and it looks good on them.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I'm actually more concerned about how the whole team is playing right now which isn't very good. If we stall out I believe it will be BP's inability to get effective forward lines in place past the top line. If we don't have the right players for the proper chemistries then BT better address the situations. I don't think Goaltending is the major issue. The whole team needs to tighten up defensively.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's exceptional. imo

Unfortunately as a city Detroit is no longer a desired destination for pro athletes.

45 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Unfortunately as a city Detroit is no longer a desired destination for pro athletes.

True but 10 + years ago Detroit looked like a war zone in a 3rd world country. The core land was cheap and has been bought up by big companies. This was all fenced off and cleared and you are starting to see the downtown core being developed. I was there 15 years ago and then last year and saw a huge upgrade. Ya it might take 10 + more years to become attractive but it is definitely on the upswing.

Two weeks before TDL.  

Apparently, GMs have given OTT until Wednesday to give them an answer on Duchene.  So I think by as early as Wednesday or Thursday, one big name will move.  Maybe OTT already has offers on the table and GMs will pull the offer if they don't get an answer.  Meaning, maybe the offer goes to CBJ for Panarin.  Maybe FLA moves Hoffman.  

But I think Flames, SJ, WPG, and NSH are all watching one another.  They all want to see what one another will do.

TSN has added Huberdeau to "Trade Bait" list as they have interest in Panarin and Bob.  

He's on a very reasonable contract similar to Lindholm's.

Sure, he another LHS C/LW, but would be an upgrade on Bennett.

They wouldn't want to take back salary.

Just curious what people think FLA would get back on a trade.

EDIT - should probably forget about this, since they would need Huberdeau to make a deal with CBJ.  If neither Bob nor Panarin become available, then FLA might want to trade to clear up cap to sign as FA's.  

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The whole team needs to tighten up defensively.

I agree, hard to win when you give up 3 or more a night. The commitment to team defence needs to be better. Won’t win many playoff games when you need to score 4 to win.

Not sure how many football fans we have out there but the Flames remind me of the Kansas City Chiefs. Plenty of offence but can we play the defence required to go far in the playoffs? Remains to be seen...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

True but 10 + years ago Detroit looked like a war zone in a 3rd world country. The core land was cheap and has been bought up by big companies. This was all fenced off and cleared and you are starting to see the downtown core being developed. I was there 15 years ago and then last year and saw a huge upgrade. Ya it might take 10 + more years to become attractive but it is definitely on the upswing.

I've never been to Detroit but with General Motors slashing jobs and restructuring, this doesn't bode well for Detroit's economic prospects.  

And didn't Detroit declare bankruptcy?  How does that work when a city declares bankruptcy?  What happens then?

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree, hard to win when you give up 3 or more a night. The commitment to team defence needs to be better. Won’t win many playoff games when you need to score 4 to win.

Not sure how many football fans we have out there but the Flames remind me of the Kansas City Chiefs. Plenty of offence but can we play the defence required to go far in the playoffs? Remains to be seen...

I think it's some players having off nights.  Brodie has been hit or miss lately.  He follows up a great game with one like he had in Vancouver.  Just okay, punctuated with some defensive gaffs.  At times, it appears they become too impatient and rush when they should back off.  Brodie or Gio or Hanifin deep in the O-zone is fine, but they aren't always the best use of a shift.  

I like the way Ras plays it.  He pinches when he has a 60/40 chance of being able to hold it in.  The rest of the players are aware and ready to get back.  Kylington is capable of getting back on time and he's not a pushover.  Hanifin plays a riskier game, and usually blows it at the line.  That leaves Hammer and the goalie out to dry.  Yes, a forward needs to cover, but Hanifin isn't really pinching in those cases.

A good practice will sort out some of this, especially having the extra day.  An inconsistent schedule at home can throw a wrench into things.