The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

So not to get too far ahead here, because we have a long playoff drive still to comebut there are rumours out of Toronto that Kadri could be available in the off season. 

I think he would be a great fit as our 2nd line C. 

Toronto is in need of RHS D, so I wonder if Hamonic and Jankowski would get the job done? Probably not with Dubas as he is heavy into analytics. Maybe something other than Jankowski.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Kadri-Frolik

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

That center depth looks much better.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

but there are rumours out of Toronto that Kadri could be available in the off season. 

I hope there is rumors out of Calgary that Neal is available in the off season. Add Brodie to the list and we have money to add someone.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So not to get too far ahead here, because we have a long playoff drive still to comebut there are rumours out of Toronto that Kadri could be available in the off season. 

Toronto is in need of RHS D, so I wonder if Hamonic and Jankowski would get the job done? Probably not with Dubas as he is heavy into analytics. Maybe something other than Jankowski.

Tkachuk-Kadri-Frolik

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Kadri and Giordano has a thing going so, maybe not the best idea from a locker room atmosphere stand point. 

But it would be great to add Kadri.  

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Kadri-Frolik

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

As far as what it would take, Brodie is the kind of player they would love.

Puck mover.

Strong skater.

They have Muzzin so don;t really need Hamonic.

Janko and Brodie would probably do it.

As far as whould we make that trade?

Good question.

We have the Ghost of Wideman bringing the penalties.

Add that to Kadri's history and we would lose him at least once per season.

The other side of the argument is he is a good player with grit.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Puck mover.

Strong skater.

Good question.

Well, the leafs will have to let Gardiner go because of cap reasons so i don't think they can take on Brodie.  They need a $1-mil guy with decent upside.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Kadri-Frolik

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

If you keep Neal on the 3rd line as a GM you should trade him. Frolik is likely good as gone. They have to improve RW on the 2nd line for more offense. Kadri wouldn't be my target from the Leafs, I would go for either Nylander or Kapanen. BT and BP will have a lot to consider this offseason to fix the 2nd and 3rd lines.

As much as most fans I know dislike Brodie's play, I could see them keeping him and playing him 3rd pairing with Valimaki. The tough decision will be how to choose between Kylington, Prout and Fantenberg. Stone is gone one way or another.

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If you keep Neal on the 3rd line as a GM you should trade him. Frolik is likely good as gone. They have to improve RW on the 2nd line for more offense. Kadri wouldn't be my target from the Leafs, I would go for either Nylander or Kapanen. BT and BP will have a lot to consider this offseason to fix the 2nd and 3rd lines.

As much as most fans I know dislike Brodie's play, I could see them keeping him and playing him 3rd pairing with Valimaki. The tough decision will be how to choose between Kylington, Prout and Fantenberg. Stone is gone one way or another.

Or improve the first line RW and move Lindholm down.

Hard pass on Kadri.  No discipline and is too small for the role he tries to play.  I haven't been a fan since he cost Canada a gold in the World Jr.  Championships.  

BT is gonna have to take a long look at the roster this summer. Can they win in the playoffs with a team build around Gaudreau and Monahan? I wanted to believe they could for the longest time but now I’m not sure anymore

59 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BT is gonna have to take a long look at the roster this summer. Can they win in the playoffs with a team build around Gaudreau and Monahan? I wanted to believe they could for the longest time but now I’m not sure anymore

I like this team and a lot of the players on it, I am concerned about the roster construction though. I just don't think there is enough team speed with Monahan, Tkachuk and Neal in our top 9 we have 3 of the slowest skaters in the game. We are also seeing some of our smaller forwards struggle against the bigger defense of the Avs.

I think speed and size is still the mandate for Treliving in the off season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Puck mover.

Strong skater.

Good question.

Kadri is no answer for us. He is another over paid Backlund and a punk, no thanks. I don't think we have anything TOR would be looking for as parts.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Or improve the first line RW and move Lindholm down.

I'm not sure if I would deploy Lindholm any different unless we can land an upgrade for Gaudreau and Monahan on RW. The forwards I would look to trade are Neal, Frolik, Jankowski and Czarnick. On defense trade Stone, Brodie and Kylington.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I like this team and a lot of the players on it, I am concerned about the roster construction though. I just don't think there is enough team speed with Monahan, Tkachuk and Neal in our top 9 we have 3 of the slowest skaters in the game. We are also seeing some of our smaller forwards struggle against the bigger defense of the Avs.

I think speed and size is still the mandate for Treliving in the off season.

I agree. We can't or won't do much about Monahan or Tkachuk but Neal is wide open to trade. CBJ may be a good fit for Neal as they will lose some firepower this offseason. Monahan and Tkachuk have to be complimented with good talented skaters in order to make up for their deficiencies. On the size question I think a team can have one or two smaller forwards which we do but even look at the troubles Gaudreau faces when the going gets tough, he gets intimidated. I think BT needs a solid plan for gradual elimination of or aging players starting with Neal, Frolik and Brodie this offseason. Backlund, Hamonic and Ryan the following offseason.

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The forwards I would look to trade are Neal, Frolik, Jankowski and Czarnick. On defense trade Stone, Brodie and Kylington.

Frolik is a player I would keep. He is the energy of the 3m line and is nearly always the first on the fore check. Neal for sure and Jankowski (unless Janks takes a hometown deal).

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree. We can't or won't do much about Monahan or Tkachuk but Neal is wide open to trade. CBJ may be a good fit for Neal as they will lose some firepower this offseason. Monahan and Tkachuk have to be complimented with good talented skaters in order to make up for their deficiencies. On the size question I think a team can have one or two smaller forwards which we do but even look at the troubles Gaudreau faces when the going gets tough, he gets intimidated. I think BT needs a solid plan for gradual elimination of or aging players starting with Neal, Frolik and Brodie this offseason. Backlund, Hamonic and Ryan the following offseason.

If you can trade Neal, go for it, I just don't think there will be any takers. 4 more years at $5.75m is going to scare away a lot of people, especially for a guy who scored 7 goals this year. I think if we wanted to trade him we would have to sweeten the deal by throwing in our 1st.

UnfortunatelyI think we are stuck with Neal and just have to hope he goes hard on his off season training and regains some of his scoring touch.

6 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Frolik is a player I would keep. He is the energy of the 3m line and is nearly always the first on the fore check. Neal for sure and Jankowski (unless Janks takes a hometown deal).

I know what you are saying with Frolik however he has value within a trade. If we are talking a 3rd line RW it would be good to get some with a bit more size, speed and talent for 3.5M. Personally I like Kapanen out of TOR if we could get him. Also we need draft picks and Frolik should get us a couple of 2nd rounders or at least a 2nd and 3rd.

Ideally my 3rd line next season would be Dzingel LW, Backlund C, Kapanen RW.

I like Jankowski, but I like Ryan and Dube better for our C position going forward and again we should be able to get something good in return for Jankowski.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If you can trade Neal, go for it, I just don't think there will be any takers. 4 more years at $5.75m is going to scare away a lot of people, especially for a guy who scored 7 goals this year. I think if we wanted to trade him we would have to sweeten the deal by throwing in our 1st.

UnfortunatelyI think we are stuck with Neal and just have to hope he goes hard on his off season training and regains some of his scoring touch.

I don't think so, real hockey people will see how he was not used properly here and know full well what he can bring to a team. Simply looking at his season here and saying is not tradeable is incorrect. Even if we didn't trade him I think a line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal would put up some numbers for us. I just don't see the willingness from BP to make such a change.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think so, real hockey people will see how he was not used properly here and know full well what he can bring to a team. Simply looking at his season here and saying is not tradeable is incorrect. Even if we didn't trade him I think a line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal would put up some numbers for us. I just don't see the willingness from BP to make such a change.

I think you are seeing something that nobody else is seeing. Neal's linemates weren't the issue this season. Neal's complete lack of skating ability combined with the fact that his hands and shot seem to have left him make for bad season regardless of who his linemates are. Neal might be the slowest and worst skater in the NHL right now, I can't think of anyone worse. When he does get the puck he can't seem to hold onto it, he has next to no puck control. 

I am sorry but with that term and dollar amount combined with his deteriorating skills, make Neal about as untradeable a player as there is in the NHL. I think the Oilers would have an easier time moving Lucic than we would have at trading Neal.

So after these playoffs, is anyone going to be surprised if Smith is brought back next season?

I am not sure we have a ton of options, so I am not going to be upset, as long as it's a 1 year deal for under $3m.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So after these playoffs, is anyone going to be surprised if Smith is brought back next season?

I am not sure we have a ton of options, so I am not going to be upset, as long as it's a 1 year deal for under $3m.

I get what you are saying but I expect impact moves if we get upset first round.  Like, we going after Bobrovsky this summer.

54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think you are seeing something that nobody else is seeing. Neal's linemates weren't the issue this season. Neal's complete lack of skating ability combined with the fact that his hands and shot seem to have left him make for bad season regardless of who his linemates are. Neal might be the slowest and worst skater in the NHL right now, I can't think of anyone worse. When he does get the puck he can't seem to hold onto it, he has next to no puck control. 

I am sorry but with that term and dollar amount combined with his deteriorating skills, make Neal about as untradeable a player as there is in the NHL. I think the Oilers would have an easier time moving Lucic than we would have at trading Neal.

I absolutely see things others don't because I have actually coached sport talents. His line mates definitely have been the issue and if you can't identify that I would question your ability to assess the situation. Your fall back for every thing is skating ability, well Neal skates just fine and with experience knows where and how to be successful given others are not identical linemates. Check his history and the lines he played on and you might be able see what I mean.

Yeah you can have your narrow minded opinion as always here.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He won't be back

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I get what you are saying but I expect impact moves if we get upset first round.  Like, we going after Bobrovsky this summer.

They won't sign Bobrowsky, get real.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I absolutely see things others don't because I have actually coached sport talents. His line mates definitely have been the issue and if you can't identify that I would question your ability to assess the situation. Your fall back for every thing is skating ability, well Neal skates just fine and with experience knows where and how to be successful given others are not identical linemates. Check his history and the lines he played on and you might be able see what I mean.

Yeah you can have your narrow minded opinion as always here.

Just for pure curiousity, what sport talents have you coached, honest question. 

If you have watched any of Neal's games this year you can see that his skills are deteriorating. It's obvious to anyone watching him play.

I have been advocating all season that Neal was going to show up when the games matter most, but that hasn't happened, putting him with Gaudreau isn't going to change his results. 

And now I am reminded of why I have you on my ignored list.