The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

No one jumps to mind but we never know whose available. The upside for the Flames is they have pieces to deal and I think they could get teams to listen on players that maybe we aren't thinking should be available. 

Haven't watched Zucker enough.

Is he a defensive player or is he fast.

I know what his stats look like, just not enough about the player.

Hall would be a good player to target...Maybe....

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

No one jumps to mind but we never know whose available. The upside for the Flames is they have pieces to deal and I think they could get teams to listen on players that maybe we aren't thinking should be available. 

I think next season would be the time to try Bennett back at C. Just spitballing but if they were to deal Neal would it worth trying Monahan on RW along with Gaudreau and Bennett. Maybe if Monahan isn't up to the task at C you still have is sniper abilities top line. Move Lindholm into C a line with Tkachuk.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So much "next season" talk.  Let's talk about next game?

I would say this comes from the disappointing play from most of our beloved players. We have a good team but far from a great team and as far as our record goes a lot of teams in the WC had a season of struggles. We did not play real great from the AS break forward while others got better. COL is one of those teams and are proving not to be a one line team. Speed has always given us trouble and COL has noticed they can take it to us. Last game was ours right up until the end so there is hope we can turn this around.

Go FLAMES Go

• Like 1

Could we perhaps target Columbus?  They are losing a lot of pieces to free agency at season't end, so how about something like:

Monahan + Neal + 1st (CLB has no 1st this year) for Dubios + 3rd?  Okay if we need to retain salary on Neal.  (This is a hard sell, but I can dream).

Could then turn to TO and target Kapanen.  Maybe Brodie would do, as TO needs a puck moving defender.  Could add Jankowski.

Big crop of UFA forwards this year, so prices could be lower.  Target someone in the middle, like Marcus Johansen, or even Ferland.

Gaudreau-Dubois-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Johansen-Kapanen

Mangiapagne-Ryan-Dube/Hathaway

Gio-Anderson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Fantenberg 

16 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Could we perhaps target Columbus?  They are losing a lot of pieces to free agency at season't end, so how about something like:

Monahan + Neal + 1st (CLB has no 1st this year) for Dubios + 3rd?  Okay if we need to retain salary on Neal.  (This is a hard sell, but I can dream).

Could then turn to TO and target Kapanen.  Maybe Brodie would do, as TO needs a puck moving defender.  Could add Jankowski.

Big crop of UFA forwards this year, so prices could be lower.  Target someone in the middle, like Marcus Johansen, or even Ferland.

Gaudreau-Dubois-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Johansen-Kapanen

Mangiapagne-Ryan-Dube/Hathaway

Gio-Anderson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Fantenberg 

Columbus has a lot of bad contracts such as Foligno and Dubinsky, they won’t want Neal and they also won’t move Dubois as he is their #1C they have been searching for since trading Johansen. Worth remembering also they passed on tkachuk because they think so highly of Dubois.

Kapanen is a realistic target though to acquire this summer

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I absolutely see things others don't because I have actually coached sport talents. His line mates definitely have been the issue and if you can't identify that I would question your ability to assess the situation. Your fall back for every thing is skating ability, well Neal skates just fine and with experience knows where and how to be successful given others are not identical linemates. Check his history and the lines he played on and you might be able see what I mean.

Yeah you can have your narrow minded opinion as always here.

I think you may have coached me at some point.  

10 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I think you may have coached me at some point.  

Nope don't think so I would remember the name stubblejumper.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

For me the only part of the roster that as been exposed in this series is the Flames depth at center, especially with Monahan struggling. Untill proven wrong i'm going to give Monahan a break as I truly believe there is something going on there. He's just simply too good for his game to have plummeted like it has. But behind him you have Backlund (who I still love and think is underrated by so many here) but he's had an inconsistent series, Jankowski is not an NHL center and Ryan is good but not something you want playing more than 3rd/4th line minutes.

Also the key problem with all of those guys is they don't really drive play or distribute the puck particularly well which is a big reason why I think the Flames get inconsistent offense from their bottom 3 lines. For me they need to swing a big trade and find a center whose got speed, can put up some offense and would be an option on the top line if MOnahan struggles. It's gonna cost, but I really think they should aim high and go for it because it's the biggest piece holding them back IMO. 

I was unpopular earlier this year for saying that this team needs a first line centre to be a contender.  The Flames proved me very wrong during the regular season, but the playoffs are showing that I wasn't way out in left field.   

I think they need a number 1 centre or a top end two way centre for the second number line next year.  That would bump Backlund to the third line where he would be a really strong player.  

• Like 1

So here's a question. 

With how good we all believe Valimaki is and is going to be, and already having Giordano. Does Hanifin kind of become the odd man out and a potential trade chip in the off season?

My only hesitation is that I am not sure I want to throw Valimaki right into a top 4 role this early. I would rather that he take that top 4 spot from Hanifin through his gameplay.

That being said Hanifin could be a big piece in acquiring a 2nd line center.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

With how good we all believe Valimaki is and is going to be, and already having Giordano. Does Hanifin kind of become the odd man out and a potential trade chip in the off season?

My only hesitation is that I am not sure I want to throw Valimaki right into a top 4 role this early. I would rather that he take that top 4 spot from Hanifin through his gameplay.

We thinking alike a lot lately.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

I honestly think it’d be smarter to trade Backlund for another 2nd line C, or winger. Technically we could just move Lindholm to C on the 2nd line and go after a top 6 right winger. Part of my thinking is Hanifin is a 22 yr old D man, still upside there. We’ve spent enough acquiring D men. Backs has likely hit his ceiling here, he’s 30 so his value is on that diminishing scale

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

I’d trade Brodie first to be honest.  Only one more year on his deal, same as Hamonic, and we probably can’t/shouldn’t keep both of them.  Sure, you won’t get as much for Brodie, but he is more expendable.  Plus, Ras seems to be a solid fit with Gio in the limited showings we have seen.

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

The part about Hanifin that bothers me is that we have him as a 2nd pairing guy.

He has only been that because he meshes best with Hammer.  All other results are poor.

I would rather feed minutes equally to all three pairs and let the games decide who is top 4 that night.

Saying that, Brodie is the weak link with a lot of value.

Gio-Ras was okay, but speed was a bit of an issue.

Gio-Hammer would be the same issue.

So, we have to convert one of Kylington, Fanta, Valimaki or Hanifin to RD.

The suggestion to trade Backlund is somewhat based on playoffs and his frustrating ability to miss open nets or take costly penalties.

He doesn;t score like Nuge, but then again he's better defensively.

Expensive for a 3rd line C.

Janko doesn;t have the tools to push him down the depth chart either.

I guess the problem for me is the way we have the top 9 constructed.

All the scoring on the top line.

Our 2nd best player in a defensive role.

Our 2nd line playing defensively.

Little scoring from the 3rd line.

This isn;t a trade Neal thing for me.

He doesn;t mesh well with the style of play we've adopted for that line.

You spent the money on him, so get figure out how to use him properly.

Never see that line pass the puck and move it up the ice.

Expendables for me, or guys that have value in trade:

Janko, Brodie, Kylington, Czarnik, Frolik.

Maybe even Backlund if you get a player like Schenn in return.

Targets for me:

Zuccarello, Zucker, Hall, Panarin....

17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

No

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The part about Hanifin that bothers me is that we have him as a 2nd pairing guy.

He has only been that because he meshes best with Hammer.  All other results are poor.

I would rather feed minutes equally to all three pairs and let the games decide who is top 4 that night.

Saying that, Brodie is the weak link with a lot of value.

Gio-Ras was okay, but speed was a bit of an issue.

Gio-Hammer would be the same issue.

So, we have to convert one of Kylington, Fanta, Valimaki or Hanifin to RD.

The suggestion to trade Backlund is somewhat based on playoffs and his frustrating ability to miss open nets or take costly penalties.

He doesn;t score like Nuge, but then again he's better defensively.

Expensive for a 3rd line C.

Janko doesn;t have the tools to push him down the depth chart either.

I guess the problem for me is the way we have the top 9 constructed.

All the scoring on the top line.

Our 2nd best player in a defensive role.

Our 2nd line playing defensively.

Little scoring from the 3rd line.

This isn;t a trade Neal thing for me.

He doesn;t mesh well with the style of play we've adopted for that line.

You spent the money on him, so get figure out how to use him properly.

Never see that line pass the puck and move it up the ice.

Expendables for me, or guys that have value in trade:

Janko, Brodie, Kylington, Czarnik, Frolik.

Maybe even Backlund if you get a player like Schenn in return.

Targets for me:

Zuccarello, Zucker, Hall, Panarin....

Now that BT and BP have had a season of working together they can put their heads together on the type of team going forward.

Given what has gone on this season and pure observations. Neal is not or will he be a fit on a Peter's team. Frolik didnt appear to be one of Peter's favorites or how to best use him. Czarnik fast became a spare part. I think the hard debate will be what to do with Jankowski and Bennett positionally or whether to trade them. Ryan is obviously highly favored by Peters and he proved out to be valuable for us.

Defensively I think you have to consider the succession planning in order to replace Brodie, Hamonic and Giordano in that order. No I would not be trading away any of Kylington, Valimaki or Hanifin all who will improve with experience. I would be dumping Stone and Prout to keep Fantenberg.

I believe Smith will not be signed again so we will also be in the market for a Goalie with experience.

I don't particularily like Zuccarello or Zucker and don't believe Hall or Panarin will come our way.

I would be trading Brodie, Neal, Frolik, Jankowski and Czarnik for all the draft picks BT can get for them.

The 3 targets I would have are Mrazek G - UFA, Dzingel LW - UFA and Kapanen RW in a trade of our 1st in 2019

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Bennett, Kapanen

Dzingel, Backlund, Ryan

Mangiapane, Dube, Hathaway

DEFENSE
Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Fantenberg

Kylington

GOALIES
Mrazek, Rittich

This is what I would like to see them shoot for this offseason.

Interesting offseason ahead.. there will be changes.

My trade block would be;

Brodie- Andersson is already better and Brodie will now be a pending UFA

Frolik- doesn't really fit in this group. Jack of all trades, master of none type player

Jankowski- to me he's Colborne 2.0 he's got the size to be a force and yet he plays like Nathan Gerbe. Need an upgrade for your bottom 6C

I will not be at all surprised if we get a major deal this summer though. Others have mentioned this but Hall for Gaudreau. Hall is entering a contract year and NJ isn't an immediate contender, doubtful Hall wants to stay there when guys like Tavares and no Panarin will be testing the market. That being said I think we could sign him, I also think he is bitter about being traded from EDM and would love to burn them for 7 years. Another idea is Filip Forsberg for Gaudreau. Forsberg hasn't put up the points Johnny has but he can play the game anyway you want be it physical or skilled.

If you wanna talk Monahan trade, then Couturier or Zibanejad would be the return I would hope for

Let's get Brady Tkachuk. He looked good in a Flames t-shirt throughout the playoffs.  Scouts doubted his offensive ceiling at the NHL level.  He's proving them wrong and looks like he can be an 85-point player some day.

I'm okay with Gaudreau straight up.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If you wanna talk Monahan trade, then Couturier or Zibanejad would be the return I would hope for

Monahan for Couturier or Zibanejad is a no brainer when you consider the cap hits.  Therefore, there's no reason Philly or the Rangers would do it.  It's going to take much more.

Flyers have a young D, rumored to want a veteran presence to groom their young D,. Giordano would be perfect.  If not, then someone like Hamonic seems to fit their bill.  

The Rangers are rebuilding but Zibanejad is still young and cheap.  It's going to take a massive over payment.

Brodie needs to go.  Everyone knows that.  But lots of D via UFA this summer.  Karlsson, Myers, Gardiner, and Edler can be had without trading someone away.  I'm not certain we can get much.  Maybe a second rounder if we are really lucky, but more likely a third round pick.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Monahan for Couturier or Zibanejad is a no brainer when you consider the cap hits.  Therefore, there's no reason Philly or the Rangers would do it.  It's going to take much more.

Flyers have a young D, rumored to want a veteran presence to groom their young D,. Giordano would be perfect.  If not, then someone like Hamonic seems to fit their bill.  

The Rangers are rebuilding but Zibanejad is still young and cheap.  It's going to take a massive over payment.

You’re right but, you can argue Monahan is a better offensive player than those two.  Maybe we find someone that bites.

Anyway to win you need 2 #1 centres. Crosby/Malkin Kuznetsov/Backstrom. We don’t have that and they are really hard to acquire 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, JTech780 said:

So here's a question. 

i'd just as soon move Valamaki to play with Gio right away and keep anderson with fantenburg on the third line.. Gio's years are winding down and Brodie hopefully has played his last game here.. With Anderson on third pairing.. you can rotate his partner according to each team you play.. Say kylington for more speed.. Thus keeping Anderson active for Power play duty every game. I'm fine with the second pairing as it is as we have more issues at center to correct in the immediate future than we do on defence

I liked the Anderson/Valmaki combo and could easily see those 2 as our 1st line D in the forseeable future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

i'd just as soon move Valamaki to play with Gio right away and keep anderson with fantenburg on the third line.. Gio's years are winding down and Brodie hopefully has played his last game here.. With Anderson on third pairing.. you can rotate his partner according to each team you play.. Say kylington for more speed.. Thus keeping Anderson active for Power play duty every game. I'm fine with the second pairing as it is as we have more issues at center to correct in the immediate future than we do on defence

I hope Kylington has a big summer. I wish we played him to get a sense of the weight it takes to play. 

The Avs weren’t hard hitting, but they were strong, choppy with their sticks, played aggressive and leaned on us to slow our small guys down. There was very little space. On our PP it looked like there was no room at times. 

When we defended, we tried to get sticks on, but 180lb pressure on sticks does not feel like 220lb pressure. Then, guys like Monahan and Backlund are in position to back check, but they watch the puck and their assignments get missed. So no, I don’t think Monahan is very good at defending. He’s a great goal scorer and can win just over 50% of his draws but does nothing else.

When on thePK, it looks like little boys defending men out there. They play the passive box and watch. The Avs spread it out and even more room created for one timers. 

So so I hope Kylington can have a big summer, get bigger and meaner, like the way his cup winning buddy played, Oduya(?).

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I liked the Anderson/Valmaki combo and could easily see those 2 as our 1st line D in the forseeable future.

My hope is this playoff really pays off. Like the guys finally understand what it takes to win (in the playoffs). 

Some will say, the team knows because we won how many games and had these possession metrics and these many goals. But how often had this team actually played like a team? 

Guys had each other’s backs throughout the season, it bonded them. In the playoffs though, the Avs showed what playing for each other looks like, and the buy in, and the commitment to the details it takes to win.