The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

My hope is this playoff really pays off. Like the guys finally understand what it takes to win (in the playoffs). 

Some will say, the team knows because we won how many games and had these possession metrics and these many goals. But how often had this team actually played like a team? 

Guys had each other’s backs throughout the season, it bonded them. In the playoffs though, the Avs showed what playing for each other looks like, and the buy in, and the commitment to the details it takes to win. 

Everyone should learn from losing and it should also build some hunger for winning. This team did almost everything right up to the AS break and played average hockey the rest of the way. Why was that would be the question I would pose to the players ? In this particular series we witnessed a lot of our flaws exposed and our best players were not our best players. They deserved what they got, eliminated.

Time to sell high.

Our team had a bunch of players who just had career years.

Maybe we can fool someone in to taking an 82 point monahan and get a legit star center to play with johnny.

or move johnny too. He might thrive in the east side playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Time to sell high.

Our team had a bunch of players who just had career years.

Maybe we can fool someone in to taking an 82 point monahan and get a legit star center to play with johnny.

or move johnny too. He might thrive in the east side playoffs.

Oh wow what a surprise, another fan knee jerk reaction. Let's trade Gaudreau for Stamkos while were at it.

I'm sure a lot of teams' fans are going through the exact same thing right now.

Trade everyone.

We are in the 1st year of being a contender.

The team skidded to a stop the end of the season and we wonder why we couldn;t beat the Avs?

Stubborn coach that did nothing to address the issues.

That's fine if you are winning to end the season.

We were not.

We have the backbone of a very good team.

We have some parts that can be changed out that could make us better.

Fixing the roster starts with fixing the lines.

Neal sucked, but there was little thought as to where he should play or the type of game he brings.

Use him with 2 players that can;t make decent passes.

Sit him in the elimination game, but don;t bother using the line.

If Backlund has value, trade him for a less defensive player and better offensive one.

If Janko can;t use his size, then trade him for a winger.

If Brodie refuses to shoot the puck for 3/4 of the season, trade him for a forward that can.

Frolik is not being used right, and if we don't have a 3M line, then we don;t need him.

I don;t care about truculence.  It's overrated.

Have that kind of player available for the playoffs, but don't think you can win regular season with them.

They are a tool you need when you need it.

Would not have helped against the Avs.

Would against the Sharks or Knights.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Oh wow what a surprise, another fan knee jerk reaction. Let's trade Gaudreau for Stamkos while were at it.

If you think monahan is anything more than a second line centre, you're sorely mistaken.

I'll also add tkachuk is too slow for this league while I'm "knee jerking."

I think we might need to take a long look at Matt Duchene as a UFA in the off season. The guy has the speed and skill that we require, he is great in the dot, and he had 7 points in a 4 game sweep of the Lightning. He is going to cost a lot to sign, but having him and Monahan as our 1/2 would really help our depth. We wouldn't need to give up any players, picks or prospects to get him.

• Like 1

Dallas; No way Dallas trades Seguin for JH, they already have Benn as LW. Maybe Monahan ++, so basically overpayment.

Anaheim; No to Getzlaf. Flat out no unless it’s for something cheap. He’s too old for a JH trade (33) and injuries are beginning to plague him.

New Jersey; I’m torn on Hall. I’d like to see him here, but I don’t think he’s ever played a full season due to injuries. I’d rather stick with JH here.

Tampa bay; Theres a slim possibility that maybe Tampa Bay might be willing to do something drastic to shake things up. JH for Stamkos? I’d love to see Point or Kucherov but I highly doubt they’re on the table, I think I might be okay with Stamkos which moves Mony down to our 2nd line, and Backs to our 3rd, which is where both belong. I’d probably move Tkatchuk up to 1st with him and then see who else meshes with him, maybe Neal if we can’t find any takers.

48 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

If you think monahan is anything more than a second line centre, you're sorely mistaken.

I'll also add tkachuk is too slow for this league while I'm "knee jerking."

I can see that you are knee jerking now.

• Like 1

I think everyone should take a week off and come back with their best trade propositions. LOL

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davis1891 said:

Dallas; No way Dallas trades Seguin for JH, they already have Benn as LW. Maybe Monahan ++, so basically overpayment.

Anaheim; No to Getzlaf. Flat out no unless it’s for something cheap. He’s too old for a JH trade (33) and injuries are beginning to plague him.

New Jersey; I’m torn on Hall. I’d like to see him here, but I don’t think he’s ever played a full season due to injuries. I’d rather stick with JH here.

Tampa bay; Theres a slim possibility that maybe Tampa Bay might be willing to do something drastic to shake things up. JH for Stamkos? I’d love to see Point or Kucherov but I highly doubt they’re on the table, I think I might be okay with Stamkos which moves Mony down to our 2nd line, and Backs to our 3rd, which is where both belong. I’d probably move Tkatchuk up to 1st with him and then see who else meshes with him, maybe Neal if we can’t find any takers.

Getzlaf intrigues me for a number of reasons ..

1st , he likely is a cap space candidate ..meaning he wont cost much and Anaheim will have to eat salary to do it .. or take back a bad contract as well, Id never suggest in a million years moving Johnny for him . Give them Frolik and they eat half his salary and I make that trade right now .. but Anaheim has to be motivated to move him .. if not , then dont bother 

2nd .. you want a center to teach the others what compete means ? He's your guy .. I may despise Anaheim but there is no end this guy wont go to to win 

3rd.. Anaheim has to shed salary and re-tool.. aint nobody taking Perry or Kessler even at half their salaries.. hes about the only moveable salary 

Tampa has to do something .. that will be an interesting one to watch .. only 7M free right now and Point is gonna take that himself 

I think it’s dangerous to trade Johnny. He’s the one that drives the offence. The only way you trade him is if you can get someone as dynamic who can drive offence. 

I dont see Monahan as the true 1C. If he could help drive play I could see it, but he doesn’t make Johnny better, Johnny makes him better. 

Moving Monahan to another line and getting a 1C, what will that do for Monahan’s 30+ goals? He won’t get to 30, but 20-25 could be nice from a 2nd line C?

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it’s dangerous to trade Johnny. He’s the one that drives the offence. The only way you trade him is if you can get someone as dynamic who can drive offence. 

I dont see Monahan as the true 1C. If he could help drive play I could see it, but he doesn’t make Johnny better, Johnny makes him better. 

Moving Monahan to another line and getting a 1C, what will that do for Monahan’s 30+ goals? He won’t get to 30, but 20-25 could be nice from a 2nd line C?

With a few bold moves of our current core positionally I wonder if we have a much better situation for all concerned.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk

Monahan, Schenn, Lindholm

Dzingel, Backlund, Kapanen

Bennett and Tkachuk should provide Gaudreau all the protection and freedom he needs to excel. Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk should be able to get Bennett back to being a points producer.

Monahan just doesn't cut it as a C but he could be an excellent Winger IMO. If you can get Schenn he is a tough C and a playmaker wile Lindholm is an overall great player.

Backlund with his experience with two speedsters like Dzingel and Kapanen should be an awesome line.

We have lots of Wingers that could go with Ryan to form a very good 4th line and depth.

Question becomes do we have the assets to get Schenn and Kapanen through trades and what is the price for Dzingel.

Would Brodie and Czarnik get us Schenn and Jake Allen G ?

Would our 2019 1st and Mangiapane get us Kapanen ?

Just a few thoughts.

I don’t get the fascination for Hall.  He’s pretty similar to Johnny, more injury prone, really only has one outstanding season, very little playoff experience, and is UFA after next season.  Why would we do that swap?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I don’t get the fascination for Hall.  He’s pretty similar to Johnny, more injury prone, really only has one outstanding season, very little playoff experience, and is UFA after next season.  Why would we do that swap?

Yeah I would pass on Hall. I don't think Hall makes us any better than Gaudreau and I don't think he makes others around him better the way Gaudreau does.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

My hope is this playoff really pays off. Like the guys finally understand what it takes to win (in the playoffs). 

Some will say, the team knows because we won how many games and had these possession metrics and these many goals. But how often had this team actually played like a team? 

Guys had each other’s backs throughout the season, it bonded them. In the playoffs though, the Avs showed what playing for each other looks like, and the buy in, and the commitment to the details it takes to win. 

we were a completely different team from the xmas break on..xmas break... week mandated by league and all star break all jammed together really affected the cohesiveness of the team and they never really played the same after that

• Like 1

Alright just for fun. What would take to get Jacob Trouba from the Jets? They are going to be up against the cap and Trouba and the Jets have had a tumultuous negotiation history. 

I wonder does one of Hanifin, Hamonic or Brodie work as a base for a trade. 

The other question is if we can get him in under the cap.

I think he would change the complexion of our blueline. 

I know the blueline is an area where we probably have the best depth, but I think we could use a change, and could probably use some size.

2 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

we were a completely different team from the xmas break on..xmas break... week mandated by league and all star break all jammed together really affected the cohesiveness of the team and they never really played the same after that

I agree! I think it would be good to possibly use that break to practice. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Alright just for fun. What would take to get Jacob Trouba from the Jets? They are going to be up against the cap and Trouba and the Jets have had a tumultuous negotiation history. 

I know the blueline is an area where we probably have the best depth, but I think we could use a change, and could probably use some size.

I think we have a decent blue line that is offensive. We have skilled D but at least two of the regulars have low hockey IQ defending.

Good defenders are Gio, Hammy(?), and Ras. Valamaki will be added there too.  Those that are skilled but low IQ Brodie, Kylington, Hanifin.

i would try Hanifin or Brodie for him? We could use a bit more mean in front of the net. We pay the price from other teams in their zone but we don’t make it hard for other team’s  forwards in front of our goalie enough. Hamonic has changed that a bit.

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Definitely a good idea.  We need a bigger, more physical D.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think we have a decent blue line that is offensive. We have skilled D but at least two of the regulars have low hockey IQ defending.

Good defenders are Gio, Hammy(?), and Ras. Valamaki will be added there too.  Those that are skilled but low IQ Brodie, Kylington, Hanifin.

i would try Hanifin or Brodie for him? We could use a bit more mean in front of the net. We pay the price from other teams in their zone but we don’t make it hard for other team’s  forwards in front of our goalie enough. Hamonic has changed that a bit.

Toronto will be laying in the lurch for Trouba and he is not a need for us.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I would like to know why some have such a low opinion on kylington.  What I have seen is a youngish skilled player with huge upside and a desire to learn.  A lot of the concerns that were observed were improved or Corrected in Stockton.  When called upon, he did exactly what was asked of him.  Did he make some mistakes and/or errors in judgement, but didn’t Ras have similar criticism in his first year?  I think so.  I think it would be a mistake to dismiss him so soon.  He will only get better, and as it stands, he already shows similar movement and skill set of a seasoned Brodie.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think we might need to take a long look at Matt Duchene as a UFA in the off season. The guy has the speed and skill that we require, he is great in the dot, and he had 7 points in a 4 game sweep of the Lightning. He is going to cost a lot to sign, but having him and Monahan as our 1/2 would really help our depth. We wouldn't need to give up any players, picks or prospects to get him.

So, you basically have to sign Duchene and trade Backlund.

Otherwise, why bother trying.

Him with Tkachuk....

14 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I would like to know why some have such a low opinion on kylington.  What I have seen is a youngish skilled player with huge upside and a desire to learn.  A lot of the concerns that were observed were improved or Corrected in Stockton.  When called upon, he did exactly what was asked of him.  Did he make some mistakes and/or errors in judgement, but didn’t Ras have similar criticism in his first year?  I think so.  I think it would be a mistake to dismiss him so soon.  He will only get better, and as it stands, he already shows similar movement and skill set of a seasoned Brodie.

I would agree.  I don't think Kylington was hurting the team at all this year and he's made huge strides on cutting down mistakes, to the point he's similar to the others.  His speed is a huge plus and puts him in a unique place.  I was even wondering about BP putting him on Mackinnon as a shadow this series but obviously there were next to no line-up changes so that extreme of an idea would not be happening.  

Duchene is doable at 8.5x7 for us, but it comes down to the old adage of “robbing Peter to pay Paul” would need to clear salary off the books, Brodie, Frolik and Stone. Would also need to have a few guys making close to league minimum in the bottom 6, same with the backup would need to be cheap if you are paying Rittich 3 a year 

How about trading Neal + 3rd to Carolina for the rights to Ferland? Carolina has tons of cap space and may think they can rehab Neal.  Ferly liked it here and may be open to returning, but even if not we would free up cap space.  (Although Ferland’s sandpaper could really help us).