The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

19 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I don’t get the fascination for Hall.  He’s pretty similar to Johnny, more injury prone, really only has one outstanding season, very little playoff experience, and is UFA after next season.  Why would we do that swap?

It's the intangibles for me .

He has the same skillset..but can make his own space .. johnny overcomes his size in so many ways , but hes too easily neutralized because of it 

I'm 99% certain Johnny's next contract will not be with us ..he will get a long term big money deal from a team that I don't think should be us 

Both players go home .. I think we'd get a better extension on Hall due to the home factor 

One suggestion I read that might make some sense, is a Neal for Okposo deal. Both could use a change in scenery, both deals are pretty similar, might make some sense.

I have also read speculation about a Neal for Kessel deal. Though we would have to add pretty significantly to make that work.

Neal has not added one on ice contribution this whole year. If we could get a 7th, 6th, or 5th round pick for him I would be all over it. But I just don't see anyone taking his salary and play this next season. We would need to find a team that would give up equal or more salary on a player that is struggling on their team to get a trade. One player that I could see trading for that and would make our power play better would be Kovalchuk from LA. Nearly a wash in salary but 2 less years and after next year he would have only 1 year left on his contract and we could definitely get something for him at the TDL. Not big on the player but for the 6 mil we have to spend we could at least get some useful minutes out of him.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

It's the intangibles for me .

He has the same skillset..but can make his own space .. johnny overcomes his size in so many ways , but hes too easily neutralized because of it 

I'm 99% certain Johnny's next contract will not be with us ..he will get a long term big money deal from a team that I don't think should be us 

Both players go home .. I think we'd get a better extension on Hall due to the home factor 

I wouldn't bank on a home town discount with a player like that in these days, I wouldn't consider Tavares deal with the Leafs a discount, plus Hall left here when he was like 12, and may enjoy living out of the spotlight after his Edmonton experience.  I'm with you on the player being an upgrade if healthy, but I wouldn't expect anything cheap on the contract front.

I think Neal for Okposo might work, we might have to add something to it like maybe Jankowski. Okposo is a better fit on the 3rd line than Neal. Botterill would be familiar with Neal from their days in Pittsburgh. It's probably still a long shot, but any trade involving Neal will be.

I hope we are in on Ville Leskinen, I was hoping we would sign him last year, but it sounds like he might be coming to North America this season. 25 years old, 6'1", RHS, can play both wings, he is quick, he lead the Finnish Liiga in scoring and was 2nd in goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I hope we are in on Ville Leskinen, I was hoping we would sign him last year, but it sounds like he might be coming to North America this season. 25 years old, 6'1", RHS, can play both wings, he is quick, he lead the Finnish Liiga in scoring and was 2nd in goals.

We haven't had much luck getting top players from overseas.

Top offensive players that is.

Any rumours as to where he is headed?

23 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Neal has not added one on ice contribution this whole year. If we could get a 7th, 6th, or 5th round pick for him I would be all over it. But I just don't see anyone taking his salary and play this next season. We would need to find a team that would give up equal or more salary on a player that is struggling on their team to get a trade. One player that I could see trading for that and would make our power play better would be Kovalchuk from LA. Nearly a wash in salary but 2 less years and after next year he would have only 1 year left on his contract and we could definitely get something for him at the TDL. Not big on the player but for the 6 mil we have to spend we could at least get some useful minutes out of him.

Let's use this offseason to get younger and faster, Kovalchuk is not our answer. As far as your "feelings" about Neal there are other GMs that know what he brings to the table in the right situation. Peters didn't use him properly and maybe like you he didn't like him but that doesn't make him a useless player on another team in a different situation.

Some interesting quotes from Frolik. Everyone else is saying that they just need to learn from it, but they should just bring back the same players.

Have to wonder if Frolik is going to be traded, hate to speculate, especially when I haven't heard the interview, but it sure sounds like he wouldn't mind being traded.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Some interesting quotes from Frolik. Everyone else is saying that they just need to learn from it, but they should just bring back the same players.

Have to wonder if Frolik is going to be traded, hate to speculate, especially when I haven't heard the interview, but it sure sounds like he wouldn't mind being traded.

I can understand these comments and sentiments coming from Frolik.

Definitely the words of a man who knows he isn't going to be back next year.

I'm not saying he is wrong, but I don't think you say that if your thinking you will return. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ironically, Frolik needs to be meaner and harder to play against.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Let's use this offseason to get younger and faster, Kovalchuk is not our answer.

Agreed but getting rid of Neal is our answer.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

As far as your "feelings" about Neal there are other GMs that know what he brings to the table in the right situation.

I really hope all the GM's are in on Neal except ours again

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Peters didn't use him properly and maybe like you he didn't like him but that doesn't make him a useless player on another team in a different situation.

Peters tried him in every situation without success.

Neal and his salary needs to be gone. You just had to watch his play this year I'm sure his play wouldn't crack the top line in Stockton.

( Mac Did Neal give you a signed puck or something)

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Neal and his salary needs to be gone. You just had to watch his play this year I'm sure his play wouldn't crack the top line in Stockton.

Actually Neal is one of my favorite players (sorry never got a puck). You say he was tried everywhere but I beg to differ any of those trials were very small trials. I have said this before and understand Peter's reasoning in using Lindholm to compensate for Monahan coming off all his surgeries and help in the face off circle. Hey it worked and worked very well but I would also say if Neal was on that top line from the outset his play and numbers would have been the same as what they always have been or better. Now that I have seen certain tendencies from Peters I no longer think Neal will ever be a fit here so trade him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I gotta say I'm with Mac on this.. except I dont think hes as tradeable unless we give up salary or sweeteners and If I were BT Id be unwilling to do that 

I would put a bulk of the blame on the team and coach here

Neal is not Brouwer.. hes not a player who had a good year , and got paid for it . you don't forget that over 1 summer 

But the backlash was that they expected him to just " work himself out of it ".. there should have been more effort made to helping him work out of it 

- put him on the top line when games are in hand 

- ditto more prominent role on the 1st power play 

I disagree that Peters put him in good situations 

- I saw him on the PP many times where the puck never got anywhere near his position , he'd be in the middle and the play went around the perimeter

- Neal is a shooter .. he needs to be given the puck . his job is to be where the pass is going to be given to him..   Jankowski, his center for most of the year , is also a shooter 

we also finished 2nd in the league with him on the roster , we have the luxury of being able to work with him more 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I gotta say I'm with Mac on this.. except I dont think hes as tradeable unless we give up salary or sweeteners and If I were BT Id be unwilling to do that 

I would put a bulk of the blame on the team and coach here

Neal is not Brouwer.. hes not a player who had a good year , and got paid for it . you don't forget that over 1 summer 

But the backlash was that they expected him to just " work himself out of it ".. there should have been more effort made to helping him work out of it 

- put him on the top line when games are in hand 

- ditto more prominent role on the 1st power play 

I disagree that Peters put him in good situations 

- I saw him on the PP many times where the puck never got anywhere near his position , he'd be in the middle and the play went around the perimeter

- Neal is a shooter .. he needs to be given the puck . his job is to be where the pass is going to be given to him..   Jankowski, his center for most of the year , is also a shooter 

we also finished 2nd in the league with him on the roster , we have the luxury of being able to work with him more 

Sorry Phoenix, put a sweetener with him and move him. I will guess he like Frolik is soar on staying with the Flames and Peters.

• Like 1

I have not visited this thread in over a year, lucky you guys ;)

Did a quick search in this thread for "Jack Hughes".

Got no result.

Please tell me the search feature is broken?

That or maybe most of us already understand there is no realistic way to trade for Jack Hughes so what is the point?

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Sorry Phoenix, put a sweetener with him and move him. I will guess he like Frolik is soar on staying with the Flames and Peters.

we only have 5 picks this year .. no 2nd , and the NYI 4th,not even our own 

we are already eating $1.5M of Brouwer for 3 years ..

A buyout costs you 1.9 for 8 years 

what sweetener are you adding ?

id be more inclined to build his value up for the Seattle expansion draft 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I have not visited this thread in over a year, lucky you guys ;)

Did a quick search in this thread for "Jack Hughes".

Got no result.

Please tell me the search feature is broken?

Cuz if Im making a trade offer to New jersey that has some realistic chances , I'm offering Johnny for Hall

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Cuz if Im making a trade offer to New jersey that has some realistic chances , I'm offering Johnny for Hall

Jack Hughes a long shot after April 9th, for sure.    But it Never got brought up?

my 2nd choice would be Pavel Zacha on that team

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we only have 5 picks this year .. no 2nd , and the NYI 4th,not even our own 

we are already eating $1.5M of Brouwer for 3 years ..

A buyout costs you 1.9 for 8 years 

what sweetener are you adding ?

id be more inclined to build his value up for the Seattle expansion draft 

Mangiapane maybe

26 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Jack Hughes a long shot after April 9th, for sure.    But it Never got brought up?

my 2nd choice would be Pavel Zacha on that team

When was the last time a 1st overall pick was traded?

2003 is the answer. No team has traded the 1st overall pick in 15 years, doubt it is happening any time soon. 

That's why Jack Hughes name has never came up in The Realistic Trade forum.

Also to be fair I did mention trading Monahan and our 26th overall to the Rangers for 2nd overall and taking Kaapo Kakko, who I think is going to be very good. He broke Barkov's record for goals by player before his draft in the Finnish Liiga. If he could end up being anywhere near as good as Barkov I would be pumped to get him.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

When was the last time a 1st overall pick was traded?

2003 is the answer. No team has traded the 1st overall pick in 15 years, doubt it is happening any time soon. 

That's why Jack Hughes name has never came up in The Realistic Trade forum.

Also to be fair I did mention trading Monahan and our 26th overall to the Rangers for 2nd overall and taking Kaapo Kakko, who I think is going to be very good. He broke Barkov's record for goals by player before his draft in the Finnish Liiga. If he could end up being anywhere near as good as Barkov I would be pumped to get him.

And worth pointing out that in 2003 the Canes traded down 2 spots out of that 1st overall.