The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Most realistic target for a 3rd line C could be Haula. Vegas will need to trim cap, Haula likely won't cost much as he has essentially missed this entire season. He was also Neal's C in Vegas which could help your 5.75 investment

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Some interesting quotes from Frolik. Everyone else is saying that they just need to learn from it, but they should just bring back the same players.

Have to wonder if Frolik is going to be traded, hate to speculate, especially when I haven't heard the interview, but it sure sounds like he wouldn't mind being traded.

Agree 100% and have also said as much.  Answering politically correct is the best practice for those with no balls or back bone,Props on the man, whether he comes back or not at least you have the TRUTH. The man has won a cup been through the trenches played the series and watched first hand the Hash Rate whooping we just received. Respected him before as a player and that has enhanced with his answer. Frohlick gave you a solid effort every night, we have to many passengers. 

Hopefully these questions were asked at the player meetings in the room. Our GM has done a well so far, but really when players and arm chair GMs like myself and others on this board can agree with this view, your GM can not be blind to it as well, Truculence# 

• Like 3

Yelesin is a 5'11" RHS D. 10 points in 55 games in the KHL this season

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

When was the last time a 1st overall pick was traded?

2003 is the answer. No team has traded the 1st overall pick in 15 years, doubt it is happening any time soon. 

That's why Jack Hughes name has never came up in The Realistic Trade forum.

Also to be fair I did mention trading Monahan and our 26th overall to the Rangers for 2nd overall and taking Kaapo Kakko, who I think is going to be very good. He broke Barkov's record for goals by player before his draft in the Finnish Liiga. If he could end up being anywhere near as good as Barkov I would be pumped to get him.

Point was more than with a lottery draft, you can at least try.   Lottery picks are traded every single year.

What was the last time the Flames won the cup?    And we still believe.   15 years is nothing lol.

I agree with and support your suggestion of Kaapo Kakko.   And I am quite certain it fell on deaf ears.     We need a lot more of that.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Some interesting quotes from Frolik. Everyone else is saying that they just need to learn from it, but they should just bring back the same players.

Have to wonder if Frolik is going to be traded, hate to speculate, especially when I haven't heard the interview, but it sure sounds like he wouldn't mind being traded.

I think this is what the ones here that say it when we say we need to add more toughness. It’s a certain type of toughness. 

He tried hard hard most of the time and as we know with some players, being the only one trying can tend to look meaningless... Bennett... 

not saying that frolik was 100% all of the time, but if everyone had his drive things could look different.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Point was more than with a lottery draft, you can at least try.   Lottery picks are traded every single year.

What was the last time the Flames won the cup?    And we still believe.   15 years is nothing lol.

I agree with and support your suggestion of Kaapo Kakko.   And I am quite certain it fell on deaf ears.     We need a lot more of that.

I believe that is a decreasing trend.  Only lottery pick in play this years through trade was Ottawa's which they had the option last year.  I believe all firsts traded this year had some type of protection, even Winnipeg who was almost guaranteed to make the playoffs put a top 3 protection in the Hayes trade.  

13 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I believe that is a decreasing trend.  Only lottery pick in play this years through trade was Ottawa's which they had the option last year.  I believe all firsts traded this year had some type of protection, even Winnipeg who was almost guaranteed to make the playoffs put a top 3 protection in the Hayes trade.  

I will agree with you there.    I've often wished we'd acquire more future picks from aging, over-confident teams.   like 2-3 years out.   before they even become lottery picks.

You would win those trades more times than not.  Not because the GMs woudln't figure out your trick, but because most of them have short term priorities.

The first one or two of those trades would be hard to explain to fans.    But as they start to mature you'd have few complaints.   

It can't be That impossible, because, well...we've given ours up...

Don't know if NYR would move him but any interest in Georgiev? They have Lundqvist locked up and Shestorkin coming over soon, there's no real future for him in NYR especially with expansion looming.

I would start with Kylington although it may take more. NYR does very well in churning out backups to become starters, Talbot and Raanta being the most recent. 

We need two quality goalies to have a playoff team and Georgiev and Rittich would both push one another for starts every night.

I wonder if we could buy low on Kyle Turris. He had a down year in Nashville and has 5 more years at $6m. He is a RHS C, that would slot fairly nicely on the 2nd line.

The contract gives me pause, and the fact that he is coming off a down year is also concerning. 

I wonder if there would be a way to work a Neal for Turris deal. They are familiar with Neal. We would have to add, but it might be worth looking at.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if we could buy low on Kyle Turris. He had a down year in Nashville and has 5 more years at $6m. He is a RHS C, that would slot fairly nicely on the 2nd line.

The contract gives me pause, and the fact that he is coming off a down year is also concerning. 

I wonder if there would be a way to work a Neal for Turris deal. They are familiar with Neal. We would have to add, but it might be worth looking at.

Sadly that sound way too much like a classic Flames reclamation project.

I wonder if maybe NJ would have interest in Neal.  They have tons of cap space, and have a hard time scoring goals.  They also have a young team, so they might see some value in adding a guy like Neal, assuming they think they can rehabilitate him.  Wouldn’t need anything back in return, so any kind of draft pick would be a bonus.

12 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I wonder if maybe NJ would have interest in Neal.  They have tons of cap space, and have a hard time scoring goals.  They also have a young team, so they might see some value in adding a guy like Neal, assuming they think they can rehabilitate him.  Wouldn’t need anything back in return, so any kind of draft pick would be a bonus.

I doubt they would unless you’re talking Schneider for Neal

Yeah they have space, but if they re-sign Hall there’s another 5 or 6 added on to his contract, gotta pay Hischier too and at some point Hughes/Kaako

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Hall isn’t worth 10 million plus.

Unfortunately if Eichel is, Hall can make a strong case 

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I doubt they would unless you’re talking Schneider for Neal

Agreed.  Schneider is not a contract anyone would want.  At his age and with all his injuries, Schneider is at best a backup the rest of his career.

At this stage in Neal's career he's probably suited for the eastern conference where skating isn't as big of deal as the west. East is more strength and aggressiveness. If BT could add Kadri and Zibinajad without losing Any of the core that would be ideal I think. Maybe, our first rounder and O. Kylington for Kadri. ZBJ for Dube, Vallimaki, and Stone. TJ Brodie for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kadri and ZBJ would add a huge amount of grit to the line up. Flames have 15 mil in cap space. Kadri and ZBJ add 8.5mil. TJ as a salary dump minuses 4 mil Leaves 10.5 mil. Chucky gets 7 mil. Bennet gets 2 mil. Only important rfa left is Rittich. Sorry, guys I think my math is off a bit on this one.  

54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So, you are suggesting a guy who does not score in the playoffs?

That combined with number lower than Backlund?
I like the way he played before he went to Nashville, but he hasn't been much there since.

Of all the players on that team, why Turris?

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, you are suggesting a guy who does not score in the playoffs?

That combined with number lower than Backlund?
I like the way he played before he went to Nashville, but he hasn't been much there since.

Of all the players on that team, why Turris?

I think a 2nd line center is probably one our biggest holes right now. I also saw an article suggesting that Nashville wasn't super happy with Turris or how their offense has turned out this year.

I just thought there might be an opportunity to buy low on Turris.

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎22 at 7:15 PM, robrob74 said:

I think this is what the ones here that say it when we say we need to add more toughness. It’s a certain type of toughness. 

He tried hard hard most of the time and as we know with some players, being the only one trying can tend to look meaningless... Bennett... 

not saying that frolik was 100% all of the time, but if everyone had his drive things could look different.

Here is my take in regards to Frolik and the thinking around our 2nd line. Peters wanted and needed more offense from somewhere but realized you need to have a good skater or two with Tkachuk because he is a terrible skater. He tried Backlund, Neal, Frolik, Czarnik all with limited success. He even risked moving Lindholm off the 1st line which IMO messed them up. The real error in all of this was trying to get more out of Backlund which just isn't there IMO or Frolik. Both steady players but more with an eye for defense than being dynamite scorers. All of this resulted with an ineffective 3rd line with no chemistry involving Bennett, Jankowski and Neal. This is why our 4th line looked like our best line towards the end of the season.

7 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

At this stage in Neal's career he's probably suited for the eastern conference where skating isn't as big of deal as the west. East is more strength and aggressiveness. If BT could add Kadri and Zibinajad without losing Any of the core that would be ideal I think. Maybe, our first rounder and O. Kylington for Kadri. ZBJ for Dube, Vallimaki, and Stone. TJ Brodie for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kadri and ZBJ would add a huge amount of grit to the line up. Flames have 15 mil in cap space. Kadri and ZBJ add 8.5mil. TJ as a salary dump minuses 4 mil Leaves 10.5 mil. Chucky gets 7 mil. Bennet gets 2 mil. Only important rfa left is Rittich. Sorry, guys I think my math is off a bit on this one.  

Forget your math, this is where you went wrong "ZBJ for Dube, Valimaki and Stone".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think a 2nd line center is probably one our biggest holes right now. I also saw an article suggesting that Nashville wasn't super happy with Turris or how their offense has turned out this year.

I just thought there might be an opportunity to buy low on Turris.

I agree with the premise.  Just not the target.

It's a risky project.

Let's see who becomes available out of the playoff early exit teams.

From Nashville, I would look at these players first if available: RJ (retained salary), Smith, Granlund, Jarnkroc.

From CBJ, I would like to see if they want to trade Anderson, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner in trying to keep the big three (Bread, Duche, Dzing).

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I agree with the premise.  Just not the target.

It's a risky project.

Let's see who becomes available out of the playoff early exit teams.

From Nashville, I would look at these players first if available: RJ (retained salary), Smith, Granlund, Jarnkroc.

From CBJ, I would like to see if they want to trade Anderson, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner in trying to keep the big three (Bread, Duche, Dzing).

I just don't think you are getting any of those players at a discount. 

Part of my premise of going after Turris is that we can move Neal as part of the deal.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I just don't think you are getting any of those players at a discount. 

Part of my premise of going after Turris is that we can move Neal as part of the deal.

Get where you're coming from..   tho based on Neal's comments and those of BT and BP , don't see a trade coming for Neal. He didn't sound like a guy who's asked for a trade, and the other 2 sounded like next season he'll be there 

On the flip side ..Florida expects to be active , if they intended to open up the bank for Bob and Panarin like we keep hearing..there may be some salary there to pick up.. I still wouldn't mind getting Hoffman 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

tho based on Neal's comments and those of BT and BP , don't see a trade coming for Neal. He didn't sound like a guy who's asked for a trade, and the other 2 sounded like next season he'll be there

Ya I could see them keeping Neal and getting rid of Frolik and Hathaway ( the 2 hardest working fore checkers on our team).

I would still like to offload Neal somewhere, and my worry is that as hard as he might be to move this offseason, it might be impossible by this time next season if he repeats.  I think he still has value to certain teams, and you could chalk his performance up to an off year.  A team can do well with a couple poor skaters on it, but we just have too many of those guys to accommodate Neal in the way he needs.  (If we were to keep him, he'd probably be best suited to playing with Backlund and Frolik, as those two guys are pretty good at slowing the pace down.  That's why Tkachuk has worked so well there in the past, and why moving Tkachuk up to the first line might not yield the results we might hope for.)

I think there would be a taker for Neal @ 4 million per, so retaining a bit on him would allow us to get a mid round pick back and free up some valuable cap space.

• Like 1