The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

16 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Ya I could see them keeping Neal and getting rid of Frolik and Hathaway ( the 2 hardest working fore checkers on our team).

15 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I would still like to offload Neal somewhere, and my worry is that as hard as he might be to move this offseason, it might be impossible by this time next season if he repeats.  I think he still has value to certain teams, and you could chalk his performance up to an off year.  A team can do well with a couple poor skaters on it, but we just have too many of those guys to accommodate Neal in the way he needs.  (If we were to keep him, he'd probably be best suited to playing with Backlund and Frolik, as those two guys are pretty good at slowing the pace down.  That's why Tkachuk has worked so well there in the past, and why moving Tkachuk up to the first line might not yield the results we might hope for.)

I think there would be a taker for Neal @ 4 million per, so retaining a bit on him would allow us to get a mid round pick back and free up some valuable cap space.

I believe Frolik is as good as gone, Hathaway will depend on the resign price

I still feel the answer will lie in the linemates. I saw mention of Haula, already good chemistry and Vegas might be motivated to move him..they need some room with the cap now 

In house even,  a line of Tkachuk Monahan and Neal could make sense , freeing up Lindholm to center the top line with Bennett on the wing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I believe Frolik is as good as gone, Hathaway will depend on the resign price

I still feel the answer will lie in the linemates. I saw mention of Haula, already good chemistry and Vegas might be motivated to move him..they need some room with the cap now 

In house even,  a line of Tkachuk Monahan and Neal could make sense , freeing up Lindholm to center the top line with Bennett on the wing

You are kidding right ? I would never want to see those 3 as a line, 3 of your slowest skaters together.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I just don't think you are getting any of those players at a discount. 

Part of my premise of going after Turris is that we can move Neal as part of the deal.

Have to give to get, otherwise you get a Brouwer in return.

Nashville is going to have to make decisions.

Signing Simmonds?

Re-signing McLeod, Sissons and Grimaldi?

Do they want to spend to the cap?

CBJ would like to sign the guys they spent a ton on already.

Maybe Panarin doesn't re-sign, but they need space to do that and Duchene.

Just now, MAC331 said:

You are kidding right ? I would never want to see those 3 as a line, 3 of your slowest skaters together.

Thats actually the idea.. 2/3 are also extremely effective puck holders.. slow the play down when needed and still maintain the attack 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Thats actually the idea.. 2/3 are also extremely effective puck holders.. slow the play down when needed and still maintain the attack 

Yeah sorry but that doesn't reflect what Peters is wanting at all nor would I want to see it. I think there are better ways to go.

This might be the basis for a trade with STL. Brodie, Jankowski and Mangiapane for Braydon Schenn, Jake Allen and a 2nd.to CGY.

Which legit top 6 centres could be available this summer?

Kadri- Leafs probably want Hamonic. Doubt BT would do it, if they had any interest in Brodie and Jankowski for Kadri I would do it although that seems unlikely

Trochek- he shouldn’t be available but FLA is so clueless at times. Lose Marchessaukt and Smith to keep Pysk... I would be ok with giving up lots for Trochek

Karlsson- unlikely, but with arb rights maybe VGK will move him if they can’t get a long term deal done. Great PKer, fast and scores

Johnson- has trade protection and doubt he wants to leave TB, but CGY is close to home in Spokane. Surely he knows Doc and played for Peters.

18 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

At this stage in Neal's career he's probably suited for the eastern conference where skating isn't as big of deal as the west. East is more strength and aggressiveness. If BT could add Kadri and Zibinajad without losing Any of the core that would be ideal I think. Maybe, our first rounder and O. Kylington for Kadri. ZBJ for Dube, Vallimaki, and Stone. TJ Brodie for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kadri and ZBJ would add a huge amount of grit to the line up. Flames have 15 mil in cap space. Kadri and ZBJ add 8.5mil. TJ as a salary dump minuses 4 mil Leaves 10.5 mil. Chucky gets 7 mil. Bennet gets 2 mil. Only important rfa left is Rittich. Sorry, guys I think my math is off a bit on this one.  

Sorry fan... I’m not sure how much eastern conference hockey you watch, but the east is more open and high flying than the west. The east has a lot of river hockey going on with the speed and openness of the game. 

Kadri? yikes. Living in Toronto I’ve got a very good handle on the player. Not what we want or need. Ever. Kadri is like “Phaneuf of the East” - Watching some highlights now and then you’d think he’s so intense and such a difference maker. He’s not on both counts, and won’t help us enough where we need help the most - the playoffs. Hard pass on him. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

At this stage in Neal's career he's probably suited for the eastern conference where skating isn't as big of deal as the west. East is more strength and aggressiveness. If BT could add Kadri and Zibinajad without losing Any of the core that would be ideal I think. Maybe, our first rounder and O. Kylington for Kadri. ZBJ for Dube, Vallimaki, and Stone. TJ Brodie for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kadri and ZBJ would add a huge amount of grit to the line up. Flames have 15 mil in cap space. Kadri and ZBJ add 8.5mil. TJ as a salary dump minuses 4 mil Leaves 10.5 mil. Chucky gets 7 mil. Bennet gets 2 mil. Only important rfa left is Rittich. Sorry, guys I think my math is off a bit on this one.  

I don’t mind either ZBJ or Kadri but what you are willing to give up for them is beyond ludicrous.  Glad you are not the GM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Sorry fan... I’m not sure how much eastern conference hockey you watch, but the east is more open and high flying than the west. The east has a lot of river hockey going on with the speed and openness of the game. 

Kadri? yikes. Living in Toronto I’ve got a very good handle on the player. Not what we want or need. Ever. Kadri is like “Phaneuf of the East” - Watching some highlights now and then you’d think he’s so intense and such a difference maker. He’s not on both counts, and won’t help us enough where we need help the most - the playoffs. Hard pass on him. 

Thanks.  After reading this, i don't want Kadri either.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Which legit top 6 centres could be available this summer?

Kadri- Leafs probably want Hamonic. Doubt BT would do it, if they had any interest in Brodie and Jankowski for Kadri I would do it although that seems unlikely

Trochek- he shouldn’t be available but FLA is so clueless at times. Lose Marchessaukt and Smith to keep Pysk... I would be ok with giving up lots for Trochek

Karlsson- unlikely, but with arb rights maybe VGK will move him if they can’t get a long term deal done. Great PKer, fast and scores

Johnson- has trade protection and doubt he wants to leave TB, but CGY is close to home in Spokane. Surely he knows Doc and played for Peters.

I think we need a C that's not obviously available.  

Getting Brady Tkachuk would be awesome.  He's a half Flames fan already as we've seen during the Flames/Avs series.  I'm not sure what it would take... probably Monahan straight up.  I'm interested.  I would only talk Gaudreau though if more is coming back.  I'm not sure if they would want a Giordano as they are rebuilding and won't be competitive for another 2 years at least.

RNH for the right price, i'd do.

Nylander is interesting because he and the Leafs mutually destroyed one another in contract talks this season.  The Leafs basically caved last minute and Nylander had an off-year.  That said, he's talented and i think could fit the bill for our 2nd line C.  RHS C/RW.  Not sure what it would take but if i was the Leafs, i would ask for a RHS RD... which we can't really afford to give up.  Maybe they have pressure to win now and want Giordano?  I can't imagine Backlund as a centerpiece would get it done.

And as i've already mentioned elsewhere, Nolan Patrick.  He's not trending well offensively and this could be a buy-low opportunity.  Yes, "low" relatively speaking.  RHS C/RW who "may" emerge as our 2nd line C as soon as next season.  He could potentially play top line RW to free up Lindholm to play elsewhere.  We simply need more RHS in our forward group.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think we need a C that's not obviously available.  

Getting Brady Tkachuk would be awesome.  He's a half Flames fan already as we've seen during the Flames/Avs series.  I'm not sure what it would take... probably Monahan straight up.  I'm interested.  I would only talk Gaudreau though if more is coming back.  I'm not sure if they would want a Giordano as they are rebuilding and won't be competitive for another 2 years at least.

RNH for the right price, i'd do.

Nylander is interesting because he and the Leafs mutually destroyed one another in contract talks this season.  The Leafs basically caved last minute and Nylander had an off-year.  That said, he's talented and i think could fit the bill for our 2nd line C.  RHS C/RW.  Not sure what it would take but if i was the Leafs, i would ask for a RHS RD... which we can't really afford to give up.  Maybe they have pressure to win now and want Giordano?  I can't imagine Backlund as a centerpiece would get it done.

And as i've already mentioned elsewhere, Nolan Patrick.  He's not trending well offensively and this could be a buy-low opportunity.  Yes, "low" relatively speaking.  RHS C/RW who "may" emerge as our 2nd line C as soon as next season.  He could potentially play top line RW to free up Lindholm to play elsewhere.  We simply need more RHS in our forward group.

Agree with your ideas and thinking.  The thing about these playoffs and major upsets as well as former champs heading south quickly (e.g. LAK, ANA, PP...), there COULD be massive trading of key people come the draft and free agency.  Looking at the 1st round results it is not clear at all what wins (in terms of team structure) and many teams may be more willing to trade a key guy, like Flames with Monahan or Gaudreau or Gio, for a perceived small incremental playoff advantage or to retool on the fly.  

With the Flames you can very certainly make the case for Monahan and Gaudreau, though personally I'd focus on beefing up the second line and making a 1st line out of Gaudreau and 2/3 of Bennett/Lindholm/Dube.  With guys like Pospisil, Tuulola, Ruzika, Zavgorodniy, Dube, Kylington, Valimaki, Joly and Petterson, plus others waiting in the wings or at most 2 years out its easy to imagine the Flames being even stronger a couple years from now.  Of course, our core is all pretty young so riding Monahan et al out might make sense?  So again, it is not at all clear which way the Flames are headed, much less 10-12 other teams with similar results out there.

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Agree with your ideas and thinking.  The thing about these playoffs and major upsets as well as former champs heading south quickly (e.g. LAK, ANA, PP...), there COULD be massive trading of key people come the draft and free agency.  Looking at the 1st round results it is not clear at all what wins (in terms of team structure) and many teams may be more willing to trade a key guy, like Flames with Monahan or Gaudreau or Gio, for a perceived small incremental playoff advantage or to retool on the fly.  

With the Flames you can very certainly make the case for Monahan and Gaudreau, though personally I'd focus on beefing up the second line and making a 1st line out of Gaudreau and 2/3 of Bennett/Lindholm/Dube.  With guys like Pospisil, Tuulola, Ruzika, Zavgorodniy, Dube, Kylington, Valimaki, Joly and Petterson, plus others waiting in the wings or at most 2 years out its easy to imagine the Flames being even stronger a couple years from now.  Of course, our core is all pretty young so riding Monahan et al out might make sense?  So again, it is not at all clear which way the Flames are headed, much less 10-12 other teams with similar results out there.

I believe a lot will evolve around who BT is going to actively try and trade. In no way will he be trading Gaudreau, Monahan or Giordano and people need to get off that thinking.

BP and BT now having a year together need to put their heads together and determine the changes that need to happen in order to get BP closer to the team he wants to ice.

31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I believe a lot will evolve around who BT is going to actively try and trade. In no way will he be trading Gaudreau, Monahan or Giordano and people need to get off that thinking.

BP and BT now having a year together need to put their heads together and determine the changes that need to happen in order to get BP closer to the team he wants to ice.

I've learned there is no such thing as never .

Pretty sure if you scoured this thread from this time last year..you'd find numerous references to " no way they trade Hamilton" 😎

• Like 1

The more I think about it , there is another player I'd take a serious run at if I'm BT

Auston Matthews

If you break it down , it makes a ton of sense from Toronto's perspective

- you have to sign Marner to likely another 10+M, that's 3 players over 10M

- They already have no money to improve their D

- You already have a disgruntled player - its Hall/ McDavid all over again .. 2 alpha dogs where only one can exist - when they make Tavares captain its only going to get worse 

- his contract reeks of , when its up , I'm outta here . he wants to be where he can be the guy , which he thought he was until they shelled out for JT

Calgary 

He'd be immediately the #1 center - push Mony to 2, Backs to 3

Id Start with Johnny , Jankowski and TJ.. pretty much 3 players with the same contract hit as 1

I dont think its unrealistic .. if Dubas is as smart as they say he'd see the value 

• Like 1

I think if we want to get anywhere, we have to consider moving Backlund out.

Would be hard to replace that skillset, but we will be losing Frolik anyway.

3M will not be a thing anymore, and Frolik got the least credit for their game.

Tkachuk could have another gear, and if he works on his skating could be as good as Johnny.

42 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The more I think about it , there is another player I'd take a serious run at if I'm BT

Auston Matthews

- You already have a disgruntled player - its Hall/ McDavid all over again .. 2 alpha dogs where only one can exist - when they make Tavares captain its only going to get worse 

- his contract reeks of , when its up , I'm outta here . he wants to be where he can be the guy , which he thought he was until they shelled out for JT

Calgary 

Id Start with Johnny , Jankowski and TJ.. pretty much 3 players with the same contract hit as 1

I dont think its unrealistic .. if Dubas is as smart as they say he'd see the value 

Marner is a more realistic target.  Unsigned, carries less value than Matthews, plays mostly on the wing I believe.  Probably still need to start with Johnny and TJ as going the other way.

Or we could look to Nylander.  Burned relationships plus down year could equal a reasonable ask.  Maybe Backlund + Brodie.  Would need to move Lindholm back to center, but a line of Johnny-Mony-Nylander or Tkachuk-Lindholm-Nylander could be pretty good.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Auston Matthews

Calgary 

My biggest concern would be Matthews injury history. In the last 2 seasons he's missed:  6 games concussion, 20 games shoulder,  14 games another shoulder. 11+ mil for that isn't worth it IMHO.

13 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Marner is a more realistic target.  Unsigned, carries less value than Matthews, plays mostly on the wing I believe.  Probably still need to start with Johnny and TJ as going the other way.

Or we could look to Nylander.  Burned relationships plus down year could equal a reasonable ask.  Maybe Backlund + Brodie.  Would need to move Lindholm back to center, but a line of Johnny-Mony-Nylander or Tkachuk-Lindholm-Nylander could be pretty good.

see, and I think Marner is way more untouchable to them. In a perfect world , they keep them all.. but this is a chemistry issue on their part. Just like us trading Dougie 

I'll go so far as to say they will not win a cup with both of them (TJ/Matthews) on the roster .. you can say all the right things , check your ego at the door.. but its obvious in so many ways .. he is not happy .. and if they are also committed to Babcock, there's another strike 

for me , Backlund is untouchable ..nobody on this team comes close to filling his role,  but he needs to be usurped to the 3rd center .. focus primarily on shut down , expecting the 2nd line to shut down and score.. in many ways negates our top 2 lines 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

see, and I think Marner is way more untouchable to them. In a perfect world , they keep them all.. but this is a chemistry issue on their part. Just like us trading Dougie 

I'll go so far as to say they will not win a cup with both of them (TJ/Matthews) on the roster .. you can say all the right things , check your ego at the door.. but its obvious in so many ways .. he is not happy .. and if they are also committed to Babcock, there's another strike 

for me , Backlund is untouchable ..nobody on this team comes close to filling his role,  but he needs to be usurped to the 3rd center .. focus primarily on shut down , expecting the 2nd line to shut down and score.. in many ways negates our top 2 lines 

I agree, Marner has become the backbone of that team, I think he is the last player they look to move.

I think Babcock has worn out his welcome in Toronto. Most media and fans want him gone, and the Dubas doesn't get along with Babcock either. I am guessing he gets one more season and then Dubas pulls the plug and brings in his guy.

I've learned there is no such thing as never .

Pretty sure if you scoured this thread from this time last year..you'd find numerous references to " no way they trade Hamilton" 😎

Agreed man.

I get what MAC is saying and certainly trading Giordano, Gaudreau, and Monahan is highly highly unlikely but this message board has plenty of room for everyone to voice what they feel "should" happen.  Otherwise, why have a message board if we only discuss what we think "will" happen?

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Re bolded - I get the love for him, but he did less in the playoff this year than JH.  His entire responsibility was to slow down and stop the top line.  In 3 home games he failed.  Sure, you could move him to the 3rd line, but without Tkachuk that might be tough for him to achieve success.

I would prefer to upgrade to a scoring C that has defensive awareness.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed man.

I get what MAC is saying and certainly trading Giordano, Gaudreau, and Monahan is highly highly unlikely but this message board has plenty of room for everyone to voice what they feel "should" happen.  Otherwise, why have a message board if we only discuss what we think "will" happen?

For some reason, I think something happened the end of the year.  Something about team bonding or exit interviews.  I believe the latter may have been more the reason.

If Gio says you are not listening, then you are gone.  If BT believes you are only playing for the fun/money, then he wants to change that.

Seriously, BT had his eyes on Lindy from day 1.  We got Monahan, and getting a Swede that was as good as Backlund on a bad team seemed like a target to go all-in on.  

We downgraded the D to a younger guy that may still have 1/2 capability.  Nobody is sure on that.  We gave up an often-injured Ferland in the deal.

Lindholm for Dougie?

Closer to value by itself.

Leafs would have offered Nylander.

Hanifin for Ferland?

Better value in cost-certainty and injury history.

Fox?

Nopbody is sure where he signs.

Most likely NY.

Brooks seems to think so.

Auston Matthews

Calgary 

Very interesting.

The Leafs have so many RHS C/RW and no star LW that Gaudreau makes a lot of sense for them.

Marner is a star.  He can carry the puck through the neutral zone and dish off with high IQ.  He creates chances out of nothing.  He can carry his own line as a C.

JT can also do it all by himself and carry a line as a C.

Matthews could bring the Leafs a LW and a RD.

BUT, if I was the Leafs, I would ask for Tkachuk to reunite him with Marner.  There is a history of proven success together and Tkachuk gives them the grit they've been accused of lacking.

Tkachuk for Matthews is a great trade for us.  There are very few players I would trade Tkachuk for but Matthews would do it for me.