The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I think that was before he signed his new contract. Backlund isn't going anywhere.

Backlund is one of the league's premier defensive centers but his role should be as the third line center with dennett.. who will never be a top 6 player.. on his left wing... Not a offensive center and don't play him on his off wing!!.. Frolik or Neal are both 3rd line right wingers and . I'd rather see Frolik stay on that line and dump Neal's contract.. Gaudreau /Monahan/tkachuk and Lindholm are  our 4 current top 6 players and that's where this team needs upgrading.. Hathaway/Mangiapane and Ryan are the best 4th line in the league .. Keep them as they are.. Dube needs to be promoted to 13th forward so he can take over Backlund's spot after next year... We cannot continue to rip apart our team every year but in all honesty.. we are still missing a top 6 right winger and a Top 6 center.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-penguins-big-decisions-include-malkin/

Thought 14 is dedicated to the Flames. Brief synopsis for those that don't want to read through;

-Yelesin from the KHL has been signed although not announced

-Team weighing if they should extend Smith or not

-Flames will not trade assets just to get rid of Neal, they will give him a shot at a bounce back season

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Marleau has a NMC and I don't think there is any desire for him to move. They move Kadri and they get very soft.

LOL you don't actually think Dubas is going to fire Babcock the best coach in the NHL do you ? Dubas's boss is pretty good friends with Babcock so I don't think so.

I think they would move Kapanen, may not want to but likely need to and BT should be in on him. Offer them our 1st and Mangiapane so they don't face an real money concerns. BT can trade Brodie to OTT or MON for draft picks as far as I'm concerned.

Babcock hasn't been out of the 2nd round in 10 years, with some pretty good teams. He is really overrated as a coach.

After they were knocked out this year, he blamed management and the players, he didn't take any blame himself. Even though he only played Matthews 18mins and had Marleau out on a late PP over Matthews in game 7.

I think they keep him around, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season to go on deep playoff run.

Dubas and Babcock have been butting heads over roster decisions. Babcock didn't want Sparks as the backup and Dubas did. Babcock wasn't happy that they brought in Muzzin. Babcock wanted a bigger 4th line, Dubas wanted a quicker skilled 4th line.

If Babcock didn't have his reputation and his albatross of a contract, I would guess that he would have been gone after the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-penguins-big-decisions-include-malkin/

Thought 14 is dedicated to the Flames. Brief synopsis for those that don't want to read through;

-Flames will not trade assets just to get rid of Neal, they will give him a shot at a bounce back season

From the clips I was able to find Yelesin plays with a real edge, sometimes going over the edge.

He also won the hardest shot at the KHL All-star game with 102mph shot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

While most on here want no part of this I could see BT going after a player like Kadri.

Im not a huge fan of him and I think he has a history of being an idiot on the ice, but he’s a really good player and an agitator.

There seems to be a sentiment that the Flames aren’t mean enough and too easy to play against. Kadri helps to address that.

If you could get him and keep Andersson or Hamonic then go for it IMO

I would take him in a heartbeat 

Wasn't hard to tell that when Tkachuk had his last suspension , he was read the riot act.. we love what you do , but be smart . Dont spear from the bench, but we support you ..  Kadri needs that as well

There aren't many smart people who would not take Brad Marchand in a heartbeat, but this guy makes just as many , probably bigger bonehead mistakes 

You cant teach compete level.. and say what you want about the guy , he has a high compete level.. he has offensive skills too.. Just as many as Tkachuk IMO

If Toronto wants to Blame Kadri for their exit , I'll happily pay low to get him 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would take him in a heartbeat 

Wasn't hard to tell that when Tkachuk had his last suspension , he was read the riot act.. we love what you do , but be smart . Dont spear from the bench, but we support you ..  Kadri needs that as well

There aren't many smart people who would not take Brad Marchand in a heartbeat, but this guy makes just as many , probably bigger bonehead mistakes 

You cant teach compete level.. and say what you want about the guy , he has a high compete level.. he has offensive skills too.. Just as many as Tkachuk IMO

If Toronto wants to Blame Kadri for their exit , I'll happily pay low to get him 

I would take Kadri 100%. I would rather reign a guy in versus having to constantly pushing him to get going.

Kadri is a legit 2nd line center and give us much better depth down the middle.

I get that his antics rub people the wrong way, but they way most feel about Kadri is the same way the rest of the league feels about Tkachuk. I would rather have a bunch of players the league hates and hates to play against than have a bunch of guys that everybody loves.

I would bring Kadri in just for the way he gets under McDavid's skin, Kadri drives that guy crazy.

Another guy from Toronto to keep an eye on is Connor Brown. They have been playing him in a bottom 6 role, but I think he could easily fit in our top 9. He has a $2.1m cap hit next season.

What about Kadri and Brown for our 1st and Jankowski. 

If they want to keep all of Johnsson, Kapanen and Marner, they are going to be looking for trades where they don't take much salary back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Babcock hasn't been out of the 2nd round in 10 years, with some pretty good teams. He is really overrated as a coach.

After they were knocked out this year, he blamed management and the players, he didn't take any blame himself. Even though he only played Matthews 18mins and had Marleau out on a late PP over Matthews in game 7.

I think they keep him around, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season to go on deep playoff run.

Dubas and Babcock have been butting heads over roster decisions. Babcock didn't want Sparks as the backup and Dubas did. Babcock wasn't happy that they brought in Muzzin. Babcock wanted a bigger 4th line, Dubas wanted a quicker skilled 4th line.

If Babcock didn't have his reputation and his albatross of a contract, I would guess that he would have been gone after the playoffs.

Glad you think so but if he is overrated so is every other Coach in the NHL.

I view TOR very much like the Flames, not quite there yet. They have been assembling talent and working towards the right mix so hanging the coaches every time they don't advance is frankly stupid I don't think either Babcock or Dubas are stupid people. Listening to everything the Toronto media has to say about their sports teams is also stupid.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So YES This shows to me BT is actively looking to trade Neal; this " they will give him a shot at a bounce back season" is a commonly used tactic in negotiations and This "Flames will not trade assets just to get rid of Neal" is just setting the parameters of a deal. GO BT GO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

So YES This shows to me BT is actively looking to trade Neal; this " they will give him a shot at a bounce back season" is a commonly used tactic in negotiations and This "Flames will not trade assets just to get rid of Neal" is just setting the parameters of a deal. GO BT GO

Exactly bro.  

Way to read between the lines.  Someone wants to buy low AND steal a first rounder from us.  BT holding strong.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Another guy from Toronto to keep an eye on is Connor Brown. They have been playing him in a bottom 6 role, but I think he could easily fit in our top 9. He has a $2.1m cap hit next season.

If they want to keep all of Johnsson, Kapanen and Marner, they are going to be looking for trades where they don't take much salary back.

I like Connor Brown.  One of those guys packed with energy and enthusiasm every shift.  Good wheels.  Willing to hit.  Sneaky scorer.

I'm just not sure where he plays.  Logically, it's in Neal's spot but it's unlikely we can trade Neal.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I like Connor Brown.  One of those guys packed with energy and enthusiasm every shift.  Good wheels.  Willing to hit.  Sneaky scorer.

I'm just not sure where he plays.  Logically, it's in Neal's spot but it's unlikely we can trade Neal.

I was thinking in place of Frolik, who is most likely on the way out.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BT sure isn't going to throw in our 2019 1st and Dube in order to move Neal but I wouldn't rule out another asset being involved if such a deal presents itself.

I wouldn't throw the Smith option away until you know another option is possible.

Yelesin is a good signing for us.

I would take Kadri 100%. I would rather reign a guy in versus having to constantly pushing him to get going.

Kadri is a legit 2nd line center and give us much better depth down the middle.

I get that his antics rub people the wrong way, but they way most feel about Kadri is the same way the rest of the league feels about Tkachuk. I would rather have a bunch of players the league hates and hates to play against than have a bunch of guys that everybody loves.

I would bring Kadri in just for the way he gets under McDavid's skin, Kadri drives that guy crazy.

Kadri is basically Backlund will a high stupidity factor, not a legit 2nd line C.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was thinking in place of Frolik, who is most likely on the way out.

Still like your Connolly RW idea as a UFA no trade involved. Trade Frolik for picks.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Still like your Connolly RW idea as a UFA no trade involved. Trade Frolik for picks.

I like Connolly too, I just have a feeling Washington is going to try and keep him. The other issue is how much is he worth on the open market. I wouldn't be surprised if he got north of $3m, at which point I think he would be too expensive for us. 

If we can get him for under $3m, I am interested.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think many people are underestimating Neal's value as a leader for any team. This was one of the only down production seasons in his career but you heard all our players compliment him on what he provides with experience. This down season had a lot to do with placing him on a dud of a line for any production. BT should have his eye on CBJ because they could use a sniper come next season and Neal may be Torts type of player.

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Kadri is basically Backlund will a high stupidity factor, not a legit 2nd line C.

Kadri put up back to back 30 goal seasons. Just because you don't like him or his antics doesn't mean he isn't a very good player.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I like Connolly too, I just have a feeling Washington is going to try and keep him. The other issue is how much is he worth on the open market. I wouldn't be surprised if he got north of $3m, at which point I think he would be too expensive for us. 

If we can get him for under $3m, I am interested.

I would go 3.5M same as Ryan.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Kadri put up back to back 30 goal seasons. Just because you don't like him or his antics doesn't mean he isn't a very good player.

Let's quit here, you are correct I don't like him and hope he is never a Flame. For the record I don't like half the crap Tkachuk does either. Merchant is a punk and I would kick him out of the League with all the crap he pulls. At some point guys like this have to realize its a privilege to play hockey at the NHL level and be paid the kind of money they receive. You want antics and people slamming each other there is always Pro-Wrestling for you. LOL

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I would try for sure but I would think it's not enough.  The Leafs can just re-sign Gardiner if they want a "Brodie".  I don't think Gardiner is expensive to sign.  Plus, they like Kapanen's progression.

I'm sure the D they want is Hamonic.  RHS RD but if they asking Hamonic, then we should ask for Nylander.  And then we better have a backup plan for a RD shut down guy.  

I would never take Nylander as I think he disappears once the going gets tough.  Kapanen is a far better all-around player, with upside.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JTech780 said:

From the clips I was able to find Yelesin plays with a real edge, sometimes going over the edge.

He also won the hardest shot at the KHL All-star game with 102mph shot.

See this shot.....

I think that is a trade that BT would make, since Janko was not one of his picks.  

For the record, I think Kadri and Tkachuk are both the same type of player.

They play close to the edge.

You need to be sure that he would listen to Gio, though.

If we had Kadri as the #2C, then Backlund's role would be less relied upon.  You can chose to have Kadri cover half those tough minutes.

Then you can fit Neal in with either Backlund or Kadri, depending on what you want to see.

Not that I am down on Janko, but his game hasn't changed much in the last two years.

Not sure what he is or what he will be, because you don't see any different looks.

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would go 3.5M same as Ryan.

We just have to be careful not to over pay our bottom 6, that's where we will ourselves into cap trouble.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We just have to be careful not to over pay our bottom 6, that's where we will ourselves into cap trouble.

Agree but being honest I would look to trade Backlund after the 2019-20 season and move in either Dube or Ryan on the 3rd line.

lou44291 warned us about Kadri...

On 4/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, lou44291 said:

Kadri? yikes. Living in Toronto I’ve got a very good handle on the player. Not what we want or need. Ever. Kadri is like “Phaneuf of the East” - Watching some highlights now and then you’d think he’s so intense and such a difference maker. He’s not on both counts, and won’t help us enough where we need help the most - the playoffs. Hard pass on him.