The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

We seem to be inventing problems for a first round exit. Mony has been one of the team's best scorers, but now he doesn't play "heavy" enough.

He shouldn't have to. Heavy is bottom 6 guys and our depth, although skilled, isn't heavy.

At the start of the year, everyone seemed to want 4 scoring lines and that seems to be how the team was built.

I beg everyone remember, this was our first kick at the cat.

We don't need to go crazy moving a bunch of pieces imo.

Stay the course and don't over react. It's disappointing, but if we're being honest, were we ready to kick aphids in the playoffs? Not yet.

Take your beating, move on with the experience.

Most champ teams go through it.

• Like 3

Ok, I have a few opinions. I do think we as a whole played soft. We didn't need to be hitting like we were trying to kill them but more contact helps to disrupt play. Most of the games we allowed the Avs way to much room on there entries. If we had closed the gaps sooner and just created some contact they would of had to adjust but we as a team just backed into our zone and let them set up. They where very good on the rush. Johnny did play scared, if he had the puck and he even thought he was getting hit he got rid of it.

Brodie was noticeably bad in three games and nothing to write home about in the other two games.

Johnny would not take a hit to make a single play.

Chucky was not drawing penalties or being his normal self.

Neal may have a better year next season, but if it doesn't cost us to much and someone wants him let him go.

Brodie should be moved for cap space our forward depth. A solid checking winger.

Rittich should get the lump of starts next year and Smith as the back up is good for one year at the old guy discount.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We seem to be inventing problems for a first round exit. Mony has been one of the team's best scorers, but now he doesn't play "heavy" enough.

He shouldn't have to. Heavy is bottom 6 guys and our depth, although skilled, isn't heavy.

At the start of the year, everyone seemed to want 4 scoring lines and that seems to be how the team was built.

Stay the course and don't over react. It's disappointing, but if we're being honest, were we ready to kick aphids in the playoffs? Not yet.

Except for most of our core players this was their 3rd time into the playoffs, even Conroy was on the morning show the other day saying that saying these guys are young and just need experience doesn't fly, because they have been through it before.

Monahan, Tkachuk and Backlund have all been through it before, it wasn't their first time in the playoffs.

Again I have to ask why weren't they ready?

My opinion is that they thought if they kept playing the way they did in the regular season that they would win the series.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

So Monahan is soft, but if he’s still competing he’s still soft. 

Thing is, I do think the Avs played a bit heavier. Not necessarily hitting. Maybe more hooking, guys climbing on the Flames’ backs and getting into their skating lines.  We do that with our small team and it doesn’t weigh down on them as much as it did for us.

the Flames looked shocked if that could be considered scared, and in awe of them. 

Not sure I even agree with that assessment. COL came to play, no denying that and all of sudden we became reactionary to their game instead of playing ours. Like Giordano said "we gave them to much respect ". I said all season if BP didn't get our middle 6 forward group fixed it would catch up with us eventually and it did. Monahan is what he is and he isn't good along the boards, he isn't a fantastic skater but e finds the open ice to be an opportunistic scorer. I would switch him out to play LW because he doesn't have the speed to play C and be effective defensively. The other thing that killed us and everyone isn't mentioning at all is all our defensemen made way to many mistakes and the inexperience showed through with Andersson and Hanifin. I actually thought Valimaki held his own quite well. Hey what can you say COL came to play and our team didn't match their intensity level.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Not sure I even agree with that assessment. COL came to play, no denying that and all of sudden we became reactionary to their game instead of playing ours. Like Giordano said "we gave them to much respect ". I said all season if BP didn't get our middle 6 forward group fixed it would catch up with us eventually and it did. Monahan is what he is and he isn't good along the boards, he isn't a fantastic skater but e finds the open ice to be an opportunistic scorer. I would switch him out to play LW because he doesn't have the speed to play C and be effective defensively. The other thing that killed us and everyone isn't mentioning at all is all our defensemen made way to many mistakes and the inexperience showed through with Andersson and Hanifin. I actually thought Valimaki held his own quite well. Hey what can you say COL came to play and our team didn't match their intensity level.

We all see things our own way. I agree with what you said though too, and just saying there was just a bit more to it. 

When we were killing teams 5-2 6-2 etc i was saying the same thing. Point were coming from 5 players. 

Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Bennett, Tkachuk, Neal, Frolik, Brodie, and Giordano have all played some playoff games in previous years so you can’t chalk it up to experience.

19 year olds on other teams are outplaying what our core players have done. 

I am with you on pros shouldnt be scared but our team fears star elite players. They watch them a lot. I don’t know if that’s a strategy to contain them which ends up putting us flat footed, but they sure don’t attack out of fear of looking dumb, getting walked around. 

Maybe heavy Art is the wrong word to use. I know it’s not about hitting. Our smaller players did a lot of that pause Benny and Hathaway. 

I honestly think guys guys were thinking offensive too often and when the D looked to make plays nobody was there. I saw very little puck support. Even when the C had a puck he’d pass it back to where our D should’ve been and no one there. A lot went wrong and you’re right, the middle part of the lineup needs work or it renders the top line ineffective.

Pertinent info for anyone thinking we should offer sheet someone this summer, or worried about losing Tkachuk to an offer sheet.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Pertinent info for anyone thinking we should offer sheet someone this summer, or worried about losing Tkachuk to an offer sheet.

This is the first time I've ever heard of dividing by 5.  So even a 7-year offer is divided by 5?  What?

I would love to see BT throw 4.20x5 Kapanen. Bit of an overpay but he will be worth it. For only a 2nd rounder it’s worth a shot IMO

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of dividing by 5.  So even a 7-year offer is divided by 5?  What?

SInce the new CBA.

It's a big reason you never see OS much.

It's tough for a team to use the OS unless they go long term, which screws them up in the AAV an return.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Except for most of our core players this was their 3rd time into the playoffs, even Conroy was on the morning show the other day saying that saying these guys are young and just need experience doesn't fly, because they have been through it before.

Monahan, Tkachuk and Backlund have all been through it before, it wasn't their first time in the playoffs.

My opinion is that they thought if they kept playing the way they did in the regular season that they would win the series.

well I have a different slant on the reason they played like they did.. I've seen it before.. I could be way out of line but... To me.. it appeared the core players read too many headlines and over valued their contributions to the team.. It seemed they were playing not to get hurt cause if they got injured, they were not replaceable..and the team wouldn't go as far as if they were on the ice everyday.. Maybe next year, they will have more confidence in the team as a whole and go hell bent for leather every game .. damn the personal consequences

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I listened as well and when Boomer floated the question about maybe they try again with the same group, Conroy quickly shut it down. Maybe reading too much into things but given he mentioned that they aren’t only looking at this as 5 games, but 2 and in some case 3 playoff runs for the core, I wonder if maybe they look to do something big if the opportunity presents itself

It would be nice if we could find a way to sign Ville Leskinen. Just from this highlight package he reminds me of Lindholm offensively. I don't think he will be able to put up the same point as Lindholm, he could be an option for some secondary scoring.

Conroy mentioned that they have their eyes on a few guys, but they will probably wait till after the World Championships announce any signings or find out if they are able to sign some guys.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

It would be nice if we could find a way to sign Ville Leskinen. Just from this highlight package he reminds me of Lindholm offensively. I don't think he will be able to put up the same point as Lindholm, he could be an option for some secondary scoring.

Conroy mentioned that they have their eyes on a few guys, but they will probably wait till after the World Championships announce any signings or find out if they are able to sign some guys.

He looks so skinny.  He's going to have to bulk up if he is going to have success in the NHL.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Although you’ve given the typical, standard answer..... I guess Carolina and the Vegas Golden Knights must not have read that book?

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He looks so skinny.  He's going to have to bulk up if he is going to have success in the NHL.

Hmmmm...... Pettersson?

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just offseason chatter now.

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We all see things our own way. I agree with what you said though too, and just saying there was just a bit more to it. 

When we were killing teams 5-2 6-2 etc i was saying the same thing. Point were coming from 5 players. 

Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Bennett, Tkachuk, Neal, Frolik, Brodie, and Giordano have all played some playoff games in previous years so you can’t chalk it up to experience.

19 year olds on other teams are outplaying what our core players have done. 

I am with you on pros shouldnt be scared but our team fears star elite players. They watch them a lot. I don’t know if that’s a strategy to contain them which ends up putting us flat footed, but they sure don’t attack out of fear of looking dumb, getting walked around. 

Maybe heavy Art is the wrong word to use. I know it’s not about hitting. Our smaller players did a lot of that pause Benny and Hathaway. 

I honestly think guys guys were thinking offensive too often and when the D looked to make plays nobody was there. I saw very little puck support. Even when the C had a puck he’d pass it back to where our D should’ve been and no one there. A lot went wrong and you’re right, the middle part of the lineup needs work or it renders the top line ineffective.

Honestly I didn't like how the team played from the AS break onward and the playoff demise was inevitable. I am baffled how a line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm could go from unstoppable to disfunctional. If you want to stop speed you either have to match that speed or slow it down by hitting people and we did neither. In the end we got away from what made us successful earlier which was everyone playing a solid 200' game. Management and players need to ask themselves the hard questions and get them addressed.

BTW McKinnon blows by a lot of people LOL

I also know what you are saying about the "heavy" play, we don't win a lot of puck battles in either end. This is why I keep saying we need better overall size, speed and compete from our forwards especially. As I have said if you keep Tkachuk, Monahan or even Neal you have to have two really good skaters with each of them to insure they can do the job defensively. You also need the complimenting ingredients of playmaker, checker and sniper for these lines.

6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Petterson got injured and knocked around alot this year. Showed in his point production as the season went on.

Pettersson needs to be more like Gretzky and dodge contact wherever possible. Trading for Lucic might actually be a smart move for VAN. Eriksson for Lucic could work for both teams.

59 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Pettersson needs to be more like Gretzky and dodge contact wherever possible. Trading for Lucic might actually be a smart move for VAN. Eriksson for Lucic could work for both teams.

With the faster game now I don't think even the great one would be as untouchable as he was then.

Granted Petterson was the youngest in the league for a while, he looks like he's 12, but some off season work and the filling out with age will help. But ya the Nucks get rid of their patrolmen and thats's what happens.

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

With the faster game now I don't think even the great one would be as untouchable as he was then.

Granted Petterson was the youngest in the league for a while, he looks like he's 12, but some off season work and the filling out with age will help. But ya the Nucks get rid of their patrolmen and thats's what happens.

I really could care less about EDM or VAN but that Pettersson kid is very talented.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He is listed at 6' 185lbs, so somewhere between Lindholm and Mangiapane. 

6 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Although you’ve given the typical, standard answer..... I guess Carolina and the Vegas Golden Knights must not have read that book?

Patience is anything but typical, standard from what I've been reading.

Neither the Canes or Golden Showers have won a cup recently.

All sorts of things this playoffs.

Pens swept, TB swept, Isles swept, Flames done in 5 isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.

Conference finals could be all wildcard teams.

It's all about compete levels imo. The top regular season teams just can't match the desperation of lower seeds that very few gave a chance.

Everyone tapped TB for the Cup, and nobody but nobody saw CBJ completely dominating them in the 1st round.

Where that leaves us, I'd say is too early to see.

Copying a Cup-winning team isn't a formula, it's a reaction.

The Canes are doing it with D and depth.

I think we're close.

Valimaki and Kyl are enroute fast. Our D is only going to get better.

Mangia really getting used to the NHL. Younger faster will be upon us soon imho.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Pens swept, TB swept, Isles swept, Flames done in 5 isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.

It's all about compete levels imo. The top regular season teams just can't match the desperation of lower seeds that very few gave a chance.

Everyone tapped TB for the Cup, and nobody but nobody saw CBJ completely dominating them in the 1st round.

I think we're close.

Mangia really getting used to the NHL. Younger faster will be upon us soon imho.

I think you’re right and what I see out of the team is in the first part of your post, it’s the willingness to compete. 

I hope that the seemingly unwillingness to compete among our best players isn’t a norm. A part of me feels like it could be, but we can always try to get a better goalie.

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think we're close.

A lot can change from the start of a season to the end of one. You think you have a well oiled machine like TB and you are out. CBJ was good but then made the decision to keep Bobrowsky and Panarin plus add Dzingel and Duchene, quite the vote of confidence there. In our case we got out of the chute ok and got strong with great results up to the AS break, after that we managed our share of wins but were not playing well. The big plus for us IMO is that more of our youth gained some valuable experience and our core should have learned a valuable lesson as well. I still think we need some changes not status quo, as there was some serious weaknesses exposed coming down the stretch into the playoffs.

• Like 1