The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I would pass if we have to give up Mangiapane.  He's on the verge of something like Frank Vatrano, Jesper Bratt, with a sprinkle of Marchessault.  You need these bottom 6 guys who can pop in 20-goals or 40-points and costs you under $1.5-mil.

I would trade Frolik or Czarnik + Neal for Wennberg all day long.  

You have Dube that will be every as bit as good as Mangiapane or better. You would never be a good trader.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You have Dube that will be every as bit as good as Mangiapane or better. You would never be a good trader.

Dube has no finish.  Good playmaker though.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dube has no finish.  Good playmaker though.

What are you basing that on ? LOL

37 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What are you basing that on ? LOL

Dube carries the puck well and has good speed, acceleration, and agility,... Just hasn't shown a good shot.  He gets chances but hasn't been able to bury it.  He can develop it, yes.  But Mangiapane already has it. 

I would say Dube plays more like a Center and Mangiapane plays more like a winger.

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Listen, we all know Neal had a terrible season but his track record speaks for itself and GMs around the League know his value. regardless of what you think or other naysayers Neal's experience, leadership and abilities have value. How Peter's chose to use him here led to how the results turned out, give Neal different circumstances and you likely get a much better result, yes even at the ancient age of 32. Think what you want I think you will be WRONG.

GM's around the league do know his value and there is a reason why he signed here, it's because we were the only team willing to give him term.

You keep clinging to this idea that he wasn't used properly, if you can't skate then it doesn't matter who you play with, you won't be able to produce.

Neal is one of the worst skaters I have seen in the NHL.

It's the same thing that is happening with Lucic in Edmonton, age and wear and tear catch up to guys and their abilities goes with it.

He has had a good career, and has put up good numbers, but that doesn't mean he will always be able to keep putting up those numbers.

If it was as easy as just not being used properly then I would agree with you, but it isn't, if you watched the games, you would clearly see a guy who has lost a step and whose skills are deteriorating. The whole league saw it.

No GM is taking a $23m chance on 32 year old player, hoping that he will regain his abilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

GM's around the league do know his value and there is a reason why he signed here, it's because we were the only team willing to give him term.

You keep clinging to this idea that he wasn't used properly, if you can't skate then it doesn't matter who you play with, you won't be able to produce.

It's the same thing that is happening with Lucic in Edmonton, age and wear and tear catch up to guys and their abilities goes with it.

He has had a good career, and has put up good numbers, but that doesn't mean he will always be able to keep putting up those numbers.

If it was as easy as just not being used properly then I would agree with you, but it isn't, if you watched the games, you would clearly see a guy who has lost a step and whose skills are deteriorating. The whole league saw it.

No GM is taking a $23m chance on 32 year old player, hoping that he will regain his abilities.

Unfortunately Jtech everything you posted about Neal is Correct. Might have to teach him to fight.

5 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Unfortunately Jtech everything you posted about Neal is Correct. Might have to teach him to fight.

I think at this point our best bet is to hope that he really pushes himself this off season and comes back re-focused and re-energized.

Ya man.  What happened?  He wasn't this slow just one year ago.  He hit the wall that hard?

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  What happened?  He wasn't this slow just one year ago.  He hit the wall that hard?

I mean he was never a great skater, he has always been in that Tkachuk, Monahan range as far as skating ability. The thing that was almost as troubling was watching him not be able to handle the puck, it seemed like when he did get opportunities he couldn't control the puck and get his shot off. 

I have seen the legs go that quickly, but I don't know if I have ever seen the hands disappear so quickly.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I mean he was never a great skater, he has always been in that Tkachuk, Monahan range as far as skating ability. The thing that was almost as troubling was watching him not be able to handle the puck, it seemed like when he did get opportunities he couldn't control the puck and get his shot off. 

I have seen the legs go that quickly, but I don't know if I have ever seen the hands disappear so quickly.

which is why.. if I were setting the lines.. Monahan. tkachuk  and neal would all be together on one line and left together to develop chemistry.. They are all smart players.. just not quick of foot.. But... They all play at the same level and speed so it may work just as well. that would leave Jonny /lindy and a new top 2 center as the other offensive line.. Bennett/dube and hathaway would make a great third line, leaving Backlund,brodie and Jankowski frolik and stone as trading chips for  a top line center and a solid veteran d man to play with valimaki. and

draft picks

. Mc Illeney would be my pick to sub off rittich.. our new Reggie Lemelin lol

9 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I agree with your assessment of Bennett Cross, so my question is: What are we not seeing that the coaches are seeing to keep him from playing that top 6 role?

A lot of it is just the line up. He's the 3rd best LW on the team and for the most part last season there wasn't a problem in the top 6 from a RW spot. Playoffs exposed something

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

which is why.. if I were setting the lines.. Monahan. tkachuk  and neal would all be together on one line and left together to develop chemistry.. They are all smart players.. just not quick of foot.. But... They all play at the same level and speed so it may work just as well. that would leave Jonny /lindy and a new top 2 center as the other offensive line.. Bennett/dube and hathaway would make a great third line, leaving Backlund,brodie and Jankowski frolik and stone as trading chips for  a top line center and a solid veteran d man to play with valimaki. and

draft picks

. Mc Illeney would be my pick to sub off rittich.. our new Reggie Lemelin lol

That line would get exposed defensively and they would have a hard time gaining the offensive Blueline as non of them are great at carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

which is why.. if I were setting the lines.. Monahan. tkachuk  and neal would all be together on one line and left together to develop chemistry.. They are all smart players.. just not quick of foot.. But... They all play at the same level and speed so it may work just as well. 

I get what you are saying but 3 guys with average speed is not a good idea.  

Some of the greatest lines in recent NHL history consisted of one offensive speedster, one power forward, one two-way player.  They can play any style against any opponent.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

What an AHL superstar.

Finishing ability like that doesn't tend to disappear.

Mangiapane struggled as much as Dube to score early in his career too. It's been 25 games....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Finishing ability like that doesn't tend to disappear.

Mangiapane struggled as much as Dube to score early in his career too. It's been 25 games....

In terms of finishing, Mangiapane has outscored Dube at every level of hockey.  

I know it's 25 games but just saying, Dube has looked like a Backlund, controls a game with his two-way play and if only he had better finish, could be a 40-goal scorer.

25-games, he could've had 10-goals with the amount of grade A chances he squandered.  Dube clearly has a better overall game and has a bigger impact on a game than Mangiapane, who if he's not scoring then he's not doing much else.  So I'm just saying, Dube is more a Center while Mangiapane is a winger.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

In terms of finishing, Mangiapane has outscored Dube at every level of hockey.  

I know it's 25 games but just saying, Dube has looked like a Backlund, controls a game with his two-way play and if only he had better finish, could be a 40-goal scorer.

25-games, he could've had 10-goals with the amount of grade A chances he squandered.  Dube clearly has a better overall game and has a bigger impact on a game than Mangiapane, who if he's not scoring then he's not doing much else.  So I'm just saying, Dube is more a Center while Mangiapane is a winger.

Theyre both small and skilled. We have a lot of that. We seem to be getting smaller too with recent signings. Soon to be the softest team in the league. We can hit all we want as Mang is feisty, but those hits do nothing as they just bounce off bigger guys. Dubé is the same. 

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I get what you are saying but 3 guys with average speed is not a good idea.  

Some of the greatest lines in recent NHL history consisted of one offensive speedster, one power forward, one two-way player.  They can play any style against any opponent.

we don't have the right mix of players to set up that kind of team and since we just rebuilt the team.. I can't see another tear down in this administration any time soon

Alright let's have some fun.

To Philadelphia:

Sean Monahan

T.J. Brodie

To Calgary:

Nolan Patrick

Travis Konecny

Radko Gudas

The mandate in Philly is to win now, this move helps them in the now. Monahan helps their offense, and I think he is a guy that would thrive in the East. Brodie gives them a bit more experience in the back end.

This move helps change our culture a bit, gives some depth up front. Patrick showed signs at the end of the season of breaking out. Konecny is a reliable top 6 RW that plays with an edge. Gudas is mostly thrown in for cap reasons, but despite his reputation he actually can play and gives us that needed edge from the back end. This move also frees up a lot of cap space. I am thinking that they may have to add a pick to even it out, but I guess it depends on how much value Patrick still holds. This move also would give us two RHS's for the top 6.

This move would be risky for us, because the gamble is that Patrick can step up his game and be a top line center. 

This offseason has been way too long already.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

That line would get exposed defensively and they would have a hard time gaining the offensive Blueline as non of them are great at carrying the puck through the neutral zone.

right.. So they fire it in and go get it instead of playing ..... carry puck to the offensive red line.. stop.. pass back to  defence.. wait there.. and then follow the play .. Our team only has defenseman carry the puck into offensive zone and I hate that.. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Theyre both small and skilled. We have a lot of that. We seem to be getting smaller too with recent signings. Soon to be the softest team in the league. We can hit all we want as Mang is feisty, but those hits do nothing as they just bounce off bigger guys. Dubé is the same. 

Both players are fearless, but Mangiapane also fights for the pucks in tough areas.  If Gaudreau was that way, we would be unstoppable.

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk can't skate and he did well playing with better players so I think its you that has it wrong about is playing ability. You are correct about one thing, he did come here do to an added year of term. If you don't think who a player plays with should make a difference I don't know what to say. Neal is a better skater than Tkachuk so let's keep him and play him with Gaudreau LW and Lindholm C, then see how useless he is with them. Quit coming off like you are the only one who has the answer. You don't like what I have to say don't reply on my posts, whether you are right or I am right doesn't really matter now does it ?

Alright let's have some fun.

To Philadelphia:

Sean Monahan

T.J. Brodie

To Calgary:

Nolan Patrick

Travis Konecny

Radko Gudas

The mandate in Philly is to win now, this move helps them in the now. Monahan helps their offense, and I think he is a guy that would thrive in the East. Brodie gives them a bit more experience in the back end.

This move helps change our culture a bit, gives some depth up front. Patrick showed signs at the end of the season of breaking out. Konecny is a reliable top 6 RW that plays with an edge. Gudas is mostly thrown in for cap reasons, but despite his reputation he actually can play and gives us that needed edge from the back end. This move also frees up a lot of cap space. I am thinking that they may have to add a pick to even it out, but I guess it depends on how much value Patrick still holds. This move also would give us two RHS's for the top 6.

This move would be risky for us, because the gamble is that Patrick can step up his game and be a top line center. 

This offseason has been way too long already.

The mandate in Calgary isn't "win mode now" ? here is one you should like, let's get rid of our worst skater Tkachuk to TOR for Matthews. He gives a true #1 C and we can shift Monahan to 2nd line LW as the better skater and sniper. Then we don't have to deal with PHI.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Smaller players are always going to only be effective with open ice to work with especially in the NHL. They can be as fearless as they want but as you say they bounce off or get bounce off the puck easily along the boards. You only want so many on your team especially as Wingers IMO and Gaudreau is enough IMO for us. Dube is at least someone that can and should play C eventually for us so I would be keeping him to replace such players as Backlund and Ryan down the road.