The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Maybe BT should opt for a cost certain situation by trading Tkachuk LW for Nylander RW. Throw in Dube and go for Kapanen with him. We get two excellent skaters with skilled talents to shore up our RW for years.

A line of Gaudreau, Lindholm, Nylander would be awesome and likely more of what BP would like to see.

If a deal could be had of Neal for Wennberg with CBJ we could have a 2nd line of Monahan, Wennberg, Kapanen.

Sign Connolly RW as a UFA for our 3rd line so we have Bennett LW, Backlund C, Connolly RW

Keep our 4th line of Mangiapane LW, Ryan C, Hathaway RW

Re-sign all of Quine, Rychel and Lazar

Trade away Tkachuk, Neal, Frolik, Dube, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone

May seem drastic but however the changes may be closer to what BP wants as a team.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:35 PM, MAC331 said:

I struggle with the shifting around of talent to get the right chemistry mix. Gaudreau has a high compete level that some don't notice but I think we all wish Monahan was more like Bennett with his play. I differ a bit from your thoughts because I would rather see Monahan pushed over to LW on a 2nd line and a better C. I like Lindholm on RW. I believe Monahan on LW could be more of a Laine sniper for us. What are your thoughts about this Wennberg C from CBJ if we could get him for Neal.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk

Monahan, Wennberg, Lindholm ( two Swedes together)

I do agree with the getting bigger, faster and more talented. We definitely need some tougher to play against defensemen.

But yet you wish to put Bennett back to center after a 2 year absence. Wennberg to me is like the Lazar situation its a gamble, but if they take Neal back for sure. I get what your saying though. We seem to keep trying to arrange the chairs on the Titanic in hope to avoid disaster. For me a better faster 4th line, move Ryan up to the 3rd as center. Unless Mags is going to be your new top 6 winger he is moved. Brodie, Frohlick will and should be moved for parts or picks. Does a dzingel fit as a 3rd line RW, we need to get a top 6 right wing. The insertion of LIndholm did wonders for the top line and he is transferable to a second line center. If and I mean if we arrange the roster to reflect this that means there is no need for Backs.  That said what does Backs, Brodie, Janko and  Frohlick bring us back in a trade? 

14 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

But yet you wish to put Bennett back to center after a 2 year absence. Wennberg to me is like the Lazar situation its a gamble, but if they take Neal back for sure. I get what your saying though. We seem to keep trying to arrange the chairs on the Titanic in hope to avoid disaster. For me a better faster 4th line, move Ryan up to the 3rd as center. Unless Mags is going to be your new top 6 winger he is moved. Brodie, Frohlick will and should be moved for parts or picks. Does a dzingel fit as a 3rd line RW, we need to get a top 6 right wing. The insertion of LIndholm did wonders for the top line and he is transferable to a second line center. If and I mean if we arrange the roster to reflect this that means there is no need for Backs.  That said what does Backs, Brodie, Janko and  Frohlick bring us back in a trade? 

What about:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Dzingel

Tkachuk, Backlund, Ryan

Bennett, Lindholm, Czarnik 

Mangiapane/Quine, Dube, Hathaway

Strictly shelter the 1st line.

the middle 6 can play the other minutes against the other teams top units and that way Backlund can share the load as a shutdown C. We know he can’t handle extra minutes and still be affective. 

I still like Backs and think what he does is hard to replace. I think it’s akin to losing Giordano. It leaves a big hole on defending top players.

16 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I know I go back and forth on Bennett and to be honest I agree with you with him as a 3rd line LW. The other good thing with Bennett and I like to see this in all 3rd line players, they can play up as needed throughout the season. If the Wennberg deal is there involving Neal take it and run IMO. Dzingel is another LW/C I don't think he has played much if any RW plus I think he could be a very good 2nd line LW, move Tkachuk to RW top line with Gaudreau and Lindholm. If they got Wennberg maybe then you trade Backlund which should bode well with a good return. Brodie's value is all over the map, Frolik should be a couple of 2nds and Jankowski maybe a 2nd and 3rd ????? not sure.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What about:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Dzingel

Tkachuk, Backlund, Ryan

Bennett, Lindholm, Czarnik 

Mangiapane/Quine, Dube, Hathaway

Strictly shelter the 1st line.

the middle 6 can play the other minutes against the other teams top units and that way Backlund can share the load as a shutdown C. We know he can’t handle extra minutes and still be affective. 

I still like Backs and think what he does is hard to replace. I think it’s akin to losing Giordano. It leaves a big hole on defending top players.

I know Backlund does a lot for us but I'm growing tired on him, keep expecting more. A change might not hurt us as much as we think it will. Just tying some of the conversation together using a few trades and UFA moves we could be a better team.

Hpothetical yet but Brodie to TOR for Kapanen

Neal to CBJ for Wennberg

Sign UFAs Dzingel and Connolly

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Dzingel, Monahan, Kapanen

Bennett, Wennberg, Connolly

Mangiapane, Ryan, Hathaway

13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I would prefer trading one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk to get a #1 RHS C.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would prefer trading one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk to get a #1 RHS C.

Gaudreau and Monahan are not what's wrong with the lineup.

Tkachuk is playing a defensive role, except for PP time.

Where the lineup fails to deliver is scoring from the 3rd line and more offense from the 2nd line 5v5.

That and inconsistent PP results and play.

I'm not going to sit here and state that the 2nd and 3rd lines are the reason we lost in the playoffs.

There are many reasons for that.

Regular season, we had two lines that didn't score at a rate consistent with their minutes.

We have two C's that don't generate enough offense.  The #4 is as good as the typical #4C.

Good teams have a #1 and #2 C that are a one-two punch.

You shut one down the other takes over.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I would’ve gone after Bozak over Neal. Better bang for the buck. 

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Gaudreau and Monahan are not what's wrong with the lineup.

Tkachuk is playing a defensive role, except for PP time.

Where the lineup fails to deliver is scoring from the 3rd line and more offense from the 2nd line 5v5.

That and inconsistent PP results and play.

I'm not going to sit here and state that the 2nd and 3rd lines are the reason we lost in the playoffs.

There are many reasons for that.

Regular season, we had two lines that didn't score at a rate consistent with their minutes.

We have two C's that don't generate enough offense.  The #4 is as good as the typical #4C.

Good teams have a #1 and #2 C that are a one-two punch.

You shut one down the other takes over.

Actually what I wanted to say was, we have options on LW. Mangiapane looks primed for a 40-point season and can play 2nd line LW.  Janko looks like he should move to LW and snipe from there.  He's not a good enough Center.   Then you've got Bennett who I feel can also move into a 2nd line LW role.  Between these 3 players, we can fill the void left by either Gaudreau or Tkachuk and they should bring a big name RHS C for us.

Not to mention, Monahan on LW should be considered as well.  Meaning, we could afford to trade both Gaudreau AND Tkachuk for a big name RHS C and another big name RHS RW.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Actually what I wanted to say was, we have options on LW. Mangiapane looks primed for a 40-point season and can play 2nd line LW.  Janko looks like he should move to LW and snipe from there.  He's not a good enough Center.   Then you've got Bennett who I feel can also move into a 2nd line LW role.  Between these 3 players, we can fill the void left by either Gaudreau or Tkachuk and they should bring a big name RHS C for us.

Not to mention, Monahan on LW should be considered as well.  Meaning, we could afford to trade both Gaudreau AND Tkachuk for a big name RHS C and another big name RHS RW.

You know that chances of this happening is zero so why persist.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Because we have 4 months to kill.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Because we have 4 months to kill.

It would be good to see "realistic" put back into some of the thinking here.

• Like 1

Just now, MAC331 said:

It would be good to see "realistic" put back into some of the thinking here.

It's more fun to torture you though.

Muahahaha... *Dies*

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Anyone is tradeable.  Who do you have in mind bringing in?

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It is also interesting to assess various players by considering how difficult it would be to replace them, and what the cost would be. These days, winning seems much more random than in the past, and any slight advantage has to be taken seriously. I doubt that we will trade Chucky. I do think that we will trade Johnny before his contract is up. But, what do I know? I have a Phaneuf jersey in my closet. :(

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

It is also interesting to assess various players by considering how difficult it would be to replace them, and what the cost would be. These days, winning seems much more random than in the past, and any slight advantage has to be taken seriously. I doubt that we will trade Chucky. I do think that we will trade Johnny before his contract is up. But, what do I know? I have a Phaneuf jersey in my closet. :(

Phaneuf was a great prospect but he felt he didn’t need to develop anymore, so he plateaued very early. I seem to remember him thinking he didn’t need to work on his game and that the Flames should be happy with what he was.

early talent and no drive.

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

In case you haven't been following, I've been wondering if Gaudreau for Marner makes sense for both teams.  Some mentioned Gaudreau + Brodie for Marner would be most realistic and I tend to agree.

I wondered if Monahan for Brady Tkachuk is possible.  Brady looked good cheering for the Flames in the dome.  We need to get him here with his brother. Monahan gives the Sens contract stability, proven scoring, and captain material for their rebuild.  The Flames get a Center who is younger, more dynamic and gritty. Perhaps not as great a shot/finish but definitely a better driver of play.

I'm also interested in targeting Nolan Patrick.  I think it's a buy low opportunity like Lindholm... It's going to cost a lot though.  Perhaps Monahan but I hope Giordano.  Patrick flashes signs of a young Mark Scheifele.  

I don't think we should look at any of Malkin, or the last generation stars.  Let's stick to younger and more potential.

12 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Gaudreau and Neal

to NJD

for

1st OA Pick and 2nd rnd pick.

Flames 1st 26OA and NJD 2nd Rnd traded for an impact winger/s

Mangiapane Hughes Hathaway would be a lethal 3rd line

https://www.tsn.ca/kessel-tops-first-tsn-trade-bait-board-of-the-spring-1.1307202

Not surprising to see Frolik on the trade bait board, but I am a little surprised to see Hamonic over Brodie.

I wonder what kind of sweetener, do we need to add to do a Neal for Turris swap.

Nashville is familiar with Neal so they would know what to expect and how he would fit in. They also get the player with less term.

Turris hasn't worked out as well as hoped in Nashville, and he has 5 more years under contract. He would give us a RHS C who would slot nicely on the 2nd line.

Does a 3rd sound about right as a sweetener?

14 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

LOL thx for that morning chuckle. No I don't see BT or BP thinking we need to rip apart the core but rather how to get it better complimented.

I think in any offseason you need to fix your perceived weaknesses and there are only so many ways to achieve this end.

WEAKNESS: Neal, Jankowski, Brodie, Stone and GOAL now.
QUALITY TRADE CHIPS: Brodie, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Mangiapane and Czarnik

Let's say all these players are gone and this is our starting set up.

Gaudreau, Monahan, ????????

Tkachuk, Lindholm, ?????????

Bennett, Ryan, ???????

????????, Dube, ????????
Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, ????????

Rittich, ??????????

Trade and add UFAs from here for 2019/20

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/kessel-tops-first-tsn-trade-bait-board-of-the-spring-1.1307202

Not surprising to see Frolik on the trade bait board, but I am a little surprised to see Hamonic over Brodie.

I wonder what kind of sweetener, do we need to add to do a Neal for Turris swap.

Nashville is familiar with Neal so they would know what to expect and how he would fit in. They also get the player with less term.

Turris hasn't worked out as well as hoped in Nashville, and he has 5 more years under contract. He would give us a RHS C who would slot nicely on the 2nd line.

Where are you seeing Hamonic over Brodie on that site??

Anyways, Frolik is a no brainer.  I think lots of teams would be interested.  Consider it's a one year commitment before Frolik turns UFA, it's low risk high reward for whoever gets him.  But don't expect a great return.  A prospect who has Frolik's ceiling is what we can expect... so something like a projected 2/3rd line complementary RW.

Kessel would be a crazy add for the Flames.  When Kessel was on his way out of Toronto years ago, i suggested we go get him.  I was met with tremendous backlash on the boards because everyone said he would be the superstar here and he doesn't handle being that that well.  Fast forward a few years, the Flames now have Gaudreau, Giordano, Tkachuk, and Monahan to shield Kessel from the media and let him do his thing (granted, assuming one of them aren't traded for Kessel in the first place).  I think Kessel would do well here.  RHS RW, PPG, fast, Conn Smythe compete level.

I wonder what it would take though.  With Crosby and Malkin, the Pens likely want to win now.  Kessel has a modified NMC where he submits an 8 team okay list.  I'm not parting with Lindholm because we need more RHS RW, not swap one for one.  I'm not sure if Pens will settle for a bunch of mid-tier guys highlighted by Backlund+Brodie.  Seems too little.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I don't like Turris but this is a good suggestion.  Maybe Nashville feels they can work with Neal and find him a role that will allow him to succeed.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Where are you seeing Hamonic over Brodie on that site??

Anyways, Frolik is a no brainer.  I think lots of teams would be interested.  Consider it's a one year commitment before Frolik turns UFA, it's low risk high reward for whoever gets him.  But don't expect a great return.  A prospect who has Frolik's ceiling is what we can expect... so something like a projected 2/3rd line complementary RW.

Kessel would be a crazy add for the Flames.  When Kessel was on his way out of Toronto years ago, i suggested we go get him.  I was met with tremendous backlash on the boards because everyone said he would be the superstar here and he doesn't handle being that that well.  Fast forward a few years, the Flames now have Gaudreau, Giordano, Tkachuk, and Monahan to shield Kessel from the media and let him do his thing (granted, assuming one of them aren't traded for Kessel in the first place).  I think Kessel would do well here.  RHS RW, PPG, fast, Conn Smythe compete level.

I wonder what it would take though.  With Crosby and Malkin, the Pens likely want to win now.  Kessel has a modified NMC where he submits an 8 team okay list.  I'm not parting with Lindholm because we need more RHS RW, not swap one for one.  I'm not sure if Pens will settle for a bunch of mid-tier guys highlighted by Backlund+Brodie.  Seems too little.

Hamonic is number 11 on their list and Brodie isn't on it.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't like Turris but this is a good suggestion.  Maybe Nashville feels they can work with Neal and find him a role that will allow him to succeed.

Turris isn't perfect, but we aren't going to get perfect in return for Neal.

Turris is similar to Backlund in some ways, not as good defensively but better offensively. 

Turris could push Backlund down to the 3rd line and into an even more defensive role. 

Turris can play 2nd line and be used in more offensive situations.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Turris-Mangipane

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

Just gives the lines a little more balance.

TRADE THOUGHTS

Backlund to WAS for Lars Eller C and a 2nd rounder

Neal plus a 2nd to either CBJ for Wennberg C/LW or to NJD for 2-2nd rounders

Frolik to CHI for a 2nd

Brodie to either MON or OTT for a 1st and 2-2nd rounders (going on others thinking that he as this kind of value)

Czarnik to NAS for Sissons RW

Mangiapane and our 2019-1st for Kapanen RW

I will put some of the players possibly coming in on trades in the ROSTER BUILD thread