The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

A little surprised on Hamonic but not totally. I know most argue he played great last season but I don't share that view. i thought he was just ok in the regular season but I also thought he got really exposed in the playoffs and if I were the Flames i wouldn't be too eager to pour big $ into an extension right now. 

I'm not really a fan of the idea of acquiring Turris as to me it's looking like his offensive numbers were inflated due to him having to play so many situation on a bad Ottawa team. I'm not personally of the idea that he is a legit 2nd line center and when you combine that with the term he has remaining i thinking you are really setting yourself up for failure in a year or two. Be better off hoping Neal bounces back and using a buyout if he doesn't then acquiring Turris IMO. I'm not really for the bad contract for bad contract swap unless it's someone like Wennberg who is young and has more potential to bounce back, and even that idea i'm not a huge fan of. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

A little surprised on Hamonic but not totally. I know most argue he played great last season but I don't share that view. i thought he was just ok in the regular season but I also thought he got really exposed in the playoffs and if I were the Flames i wouldn't be too eager to pour big $ into an extension right now. 

I'm not surprised he's on the list.  I'm just surprised he's on the list ahead of Brodie.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Hamonic is number 11 on their list and Brodie isn't on it.

Thanks.  I need to get my eyes checked.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm not really a fan of the idea of acquiring Turris as to me it's looking like his offensive numbers were inflated due to him having to play so many situation on a bad Ottawa team. I'm not personally of the idea that he is a legit 2nd line center and when you combine that with the term he has remaining i thinking you are really setting yourself up for failure in a year or two. Be better off hoping Neal bounces back and using a buyout if he doesn't then acquiring Turris IMO. I'm not really for the bad contract for bad contract swap unless it's someone like Wennberg who is young and has more potential to bounce back, and even that idea i'm not a huge fan of. 

I think there are merits on trading Hamonic and keeping Brodie. If you trade Brodie then Andersson is getting pushed from the 3rd pairing to the 1st. If you trade Hamonic it allows you to keep Brodie on the top pairing and ease Andersson into increased minutes on the 2nd pairing.

I guess my thinking with Turris is that I have more faith that he will be able to skate and compete at an NHL level for the length of his contract than I do with Neal, as he wasn't even able to do it this season.

I would prefer Wennberg, but I have a hard time seeing them taking Neal in return without a bigger sweetener.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not surprised he's on the list.  I'm just surprised he's on the list ahead of Brodie.

I think that speaks more to league demand and expected return as opposed to desire to trade. 

I think there’s a relatively low chance Hamonic is traded. BT gave up essentially Noah Dobson for him. I can see him re-signing as early as this summer. He also brings an element to the Flames that no other D has. Brodie can be easily replaced in-house by a guy like Valimaki or Kylington. Guys like Hamonic are a needle-in-a-haystack these days 

It’s also written by Seravali who’s a total clown IMO

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think there’s a relatively low chance Hamonic is traded. BT gave up essentially Noah Dobson for him. I can see him re-signing as early as this summer. He also brings an element to the Flames that no other D has. Brodie can be easily replaced in-house by a guy like Valimaki or Kylington. Guys like Hamonic are a needle-in-a-haystack these days 

It’s also written by Seravali who’s a total clown IMO

It is quite conceivable that they don't trade either Brodie or Hamonic in order to give themselves the best chance to win a SC next season. Our defense by advanced experience alone should be better. I would match them up better using a veteran with the lesser experienced.

Giordano, Anderson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Brodie

Kylington

Make all the big money changes with the forward group by trading Backlund, Frolik, Neal, Mangiapane and Czarnick in order to sign Tkachuk and fill our needs with players to make less money than those leaving.

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think that speaks more to league demand and expected return as opposed to desire to trade. 

Fair enough.  Hamonic would bring in a good haul for us if we decided to trade him.  Which, we shouldn't. I believe his desire to sign here long term is good and we should be able to get him locked up on hometown discount.

Frolik is raising is trade value at the World Championships he is leading the tournament in scoring with 5 goals and 10 points in 5 games.

A minor trade target that I would like us to go after would be Julius Honka from Dallas. He is an RHS D, he is also an RFA this offseason. He is only 23, might be a nice upgrade on the 3rd pairing if we move one of Brodie or Hamonic.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

A minor trade target that I would like us to go after would be Julius Honka from Dallas. He is an RHS D, he is also an RFA this offseason. He is only 23, might be a nice upgrade on the 3rd pairing if we move one of Brodie or Hamonic.

I think we are stuck with Stone as 3rd pairing next season.  And I also want to bring back Prout for another year, or even two.  I think he's very serviceable as a 3rd pair and can be our enforcer.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think we are stuck with Stone as 3rd pairing next season.  And I also want to bring back Prout for another year, or even two.  I think he's very serviceable as a 3rd pair and can be our enforcer.

I think it is 50/50 that we keep Stone. I think it is just as likely that he is bought out.

Our team sure does a lot of buyouts. I get teams do it but we are perpetually having buyout money against the cap. 

How many any of us would give Stone his contract? Maybe one of us? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Our team sure does a lot of buyouts. I get teams do it but we are perpetually having buyout money against the cap. 

How many any of us would give Stone his contract? Maybe one of us? 

Yup.  Another option is of course not taking on the ridiculous contracts to begin with.   But I'm sure BT will do it again this summer and we'll all be impressed.  He needs one or two more totally ridiculous signings before he's completely screwed us over.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:50 PM, The_People1 said:

I had no issue with Prout as the year went along.

Stone is all but gone.

Oilers could use him.

Not that they have anything I would covet.

Doubt we can find a taker, unless it's for a lesser prospect or minor pick.

Or combined with Brodie if we take back a rich contract.

He will get bought out.

Low penalty for doing so.

18 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yup.  Another option is of course not taking on the ridiculous contracts to begin with.   But I'm sure BT will do it again this summer and we'll all be impressed.  He needs one or two more totally ridiculous signings before he's completely screwed us over.

The overpayments have been bad.

Neal is one that could have been worse.

Yup, worse.

BOS and EDM signed worse ones a couple of years ago.

These do balance out with the value ones signed internally.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Hanifin, Lindholm, Gio.

I am okay with paying market value for players that still have game.

No thanks to Karlsson.

Maybe to Duchene, Panarin, Skinner depending on price.

No to Hayes, Varly, Bob (unless it's <7m).

To Washington:

Michael Frolik

Mark Jankowski

2019 4th round pick

To Calgary:

Andre Burakovsky

Dmitri Jaskin

2019 2nd round pick

For Washington they get two guys under contract that can help them now. Frolik gives them some insurance if they lose Connolly to UFA. Jankowski gives them some extra center depth. They also move 2 RFA's with ARB rights.

Calgary gets younger and a bit cheaper. They also get bigger. Burakovsky brings a really intriguing blend of skill, size and speed. Jaskin is a big body with skill and can play in just about any situation.

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

To Washington:

Michael Frolik

Mark Jankowski

2019 4th round pick

To Calgary:

Andre Burakovsky

Dmitri Jaskin

2019 2nd round pick

For Washington they get two guys under contract that can help them now. Frolik gives them some insurance if they lose Connolly to UFA. Jankowski gives them some extra center depth. They also move 2 RFA's with ARB rights.

Calgary gets younger and a bit cheaper. They also get bigger. Burakovsky brings a really intriguing blend of skill, size and speed. Jaskin is a big body with skill and can play in just about any situation.

Why not go big with WAS ? Backlund C and Frolik LW for Holtby G and Ellers C. WAS likes their Russians, this allows them to go after Bobrovsky G. I don't see them giving up any of their youth. I hope BT goes after Connolly RW out of UFA. Good 3rd line Bennett, Ellers, Connolly. Holtby comes home to W Canada as our Goalie.

Frolik is absolutely tearing up the World Championships. I get that it’s the not the best competition, but 14 points in 7 games is phenomenal, also the only real talented player he’s playing with is Voracek.

I think this is a really good sign for the Flames as it will help them move Frolik. Not that it will make a huge difference but this helps his value, he’s shown he can still be a solid player

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Frolik is absolutely tearing up the World Championships. I get that it’s the not the best competition, but 14 points in 7 games is phenomenal, also the only real talented player he’s playing with is Voracek.

I think this is a really good sign for the Flames as it will help them move Frolik. Not that it will make a huge difference but this helps his value, he’s shown he can still be a solid player

Let's move Frolik to Philly to play with Voracek.

2nd round pick.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Let's move Frolik to Philly to play with Voracek.

2nd round pick.

I think if BT plays his cards right he cpilf go for a 2nd. Might seem high but the team acquiring him can always turn him into a 2nd at the deadline... I mean if Boyle is worth a 2nd..

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is he any good?

He is fast. He could end being another Carl Hagelin, or Matt Nieto type player.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is he any good?

Definitely a player of interest for us, hopefully Loob convinced him to sign with the Flames.