Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

Hopefully Nygard chooses us, not that it’s the end of the world... remember how excited we al got over Foo choosing us over the Oilers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going into the offseason, foo is an RFA. He never really worked out the way the Flames had hoped. 2 goals, 0 assists, +1 in 4 games with the Flames (2 seasons ago, nothing this past season). 37 goals, 40 assists, -13 in 129 games with Stockton. While he has been decent for Stockton, he has not pushed enough to make the big club. The Oilers have 8 F, 8 D and 1 G signed through next season and are already spending over 75 mil of their cap. They need to add at least 5 forwards and 1 G while losing 1 D. By sending waiver eligible Persson down, they gain another Mil. So with an upper limit of 83 mil, the Oilers need to sign or re-sign 6 players for under 9 mil. Chiasson put up 22 goals and 16 assists for 650k last season on RW. Other than him, their other RFA/UFA players Rieder 0 / 11, Khaira 3 / 15, Puljujarvi 4 / 5,  Rattie 4 / 7 put up half as many goals and slightly more than double the assists with all 4 of them combined. Kassian had more goals than the other 4 combined and he is their only listed RW signed for next season. Lucic is the only Exclusive LW. 

 

I see them, based on salary hit alone, using Koskinen as their starter G so they do not need to spend a ton on a backup though they might look to sign a vet UFA to a decent contract. Smith, Elliot, Johnson, Niemi and McElhinney come to mind as options for them to go after. Any of these options, other than McBackup would likely be 1.5 +.

 

This leaves them needing RW and LW players with little cap space to go out and get them.

 

We know that the Oilers had been interested in Foo. We could flip the rights to Foo (RW) and / or Lazar (C/RW) and / or Rychel (LW) to the Oilers for low picks. Flames do not currently have a 2nd or 6th round pick this draft, Oilers have both. We could also trade early negotiation with Smith for the 6th rounder?

 

While any of the players could take off for the Oilers, they are not currently players that seem to be in the long term plans for the team. They could also be duds for the Oilers and no loss at all for the Flames. As both Lazar and Foo did relatively well in the AHL, would the Oilers do RFA rights to both for a 2nd round pick? The Oilers need players to turn their team around or risk McDavid demanding a trade. While Foo and Lazar are not the full answer, they could be pieces the Oilers use as they are low cap hit. They could then trade rights to Puljujarvi for other pieces.

 

I know we don't like trading with the Oilers, but hey, getting picks this draft for extra pieces wouldn't be a bad move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any interest in Colin Miller from Vegas?

I keep seeing his name out there in the rumour mill.

 

He is a good skating RHS D with a bomb of a shot. He can play on the 2nd pair or bottom pairing. He is signed at $3.88m for 3 more years.

 

If we move Brodie or Hamonic and buy out Stone, Miller would fill in the gaps quite nicely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a top 9 C and a top 6 winger this summer. 

 

Who could be available via trade?

  • Kadri- I would love to add him, but he has some say in where he goes with an M-NTC
  • Zucker- I don't think BT revisits just because of how it leaked out, but maybe
  • Ehlers- his name has started to pop up. He addresses a weakness of organizational speed. Signed long term, but inconsistent
  • Panthers- they will move a player or two to cut cost. Guys on the Fan tossed Huberdeau out there. Would be very expensive. Would love to add Trochek
  • Toffoli- he's been out there a while, his value isn't super high. LA probably keeps him until the TDL in hopes of getting a 1st for him.
  • Lightning- they will likely look to move Miller, Johnson or Palat. Not a huge Palat fan, but would be fine with the first 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we need a top 9 C and a top 6 winger this summer. 

 

Who could be available via trade?

  • Kadri- I would love to add him, but he has some say in where he goes with an M-NTC
  • Zucker- I don't think BT revisits just because of how it leaked out, but maybe
  • Ehlers- his name has started to pop up. He addresses a weakness of organizational speed. Signed long term, but inconsistent
  • Panthers- they will move a player or two to cut cost. Guys on the Fan tossed Huberdeau out there. Would be very expensive. Would love to add Trochek
  • Toffoli- he's been out there a while, his value isn't super high. LA probably keeps him until the TDL in hopes of getting a 1st for him.
  • Lightning- they will likely look to move Miller, Johnson or Palat. Not a huge Palat fan, but would be fine with the first 2.

 

Marner?  I think he's more available than most think.  Yes, here we go again, Gaudreau (+Brodie).  It seems to be the logical fit for both teams.  

 

Honestly, if it costs Gaudreau + Hamonic, I would still do it (but no way Andersson).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we need a top 9 C and a top 6 winger this summer. 

 

Who could be available via trade?

  • Kadri- I would love to add him, but he has some say in where he goes with an M-NTC
  • Zucker- I don't think BT revisits just because of how it leaked out, but maybe
  • Ehlers- his name has started to pop up. He addresses a weakness of organizational speed. Signed long term, but inconsistent
  • Panthers- they will move a player or two to cut cost. Guys on the Fan tossed Huberdeau out there. Would be very expensive. Would love to add Trochek
  • Toffoli- he's been out there a while, his value isn't super high. LA probably keeps him until the TDL in hopes of getting a 1st for him.
  • Lightning- they will likely look to move Miller, Johnson or Palat. Not a huge Palat fan, but would be fine with the first 2.

 

Oh, also Kessel needs to enter the conversation.  Seriously, RHS RW, point per game, only 3 years left on contract at $6.8-mil.  Playoff performer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a reverse strategy. Some think Brodie is worth anywhere from 2-2nds or a 1st and 2-2nd. What if BT offered Brodie and our 2019 1st for Nylander RW/C from TOR ? I believe Marner is the more coveted player in TOR's eyes and they need to cast off some talent. They have already paid the bonus hit upfront and we would have cost certainy with Nylander under a new contract. They would have Brodie for the season and could extend him plus he can play either side on D which TOR also needs heading into next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Here is a reverse strategy. Some think Brodie is worth anywhere from 2-2nds or a 1st and 2-2nd. What if BT offered Brodie and our 2019 1st for Nylander RW/C from TOR ? I believe Marner is the more coveted player in TOR's eyes and they need to cast off some talent. They have already paid the bonus hit upfront and we would have cost certainy with Nylander under a new contract. They would have Brodie for the season and could extend him plus he can play either side on D which TOR also needs heading into next season.

 

I think Brodie is worth a 2nd only.  He is in final year of a cap friendly deal.  He probably asks for $6-mil for multi years.  TOR cannot pay to keep Brodie long term.

 

I would like Nylander though and agree he would be available at the right price.  Contract negotiations probably soured their relationship.  Plus, Nylander didn't get to play much with Matthews when he came back.  They kept Kapanen with Matthews.  Nylander is probably unhappy about that.

 

RHS RW trending upwards.  He's what we need. Born in Calgary too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

I think Brodie is worth a 2nd only.  He is in final year of a cap friendly deal.  He probably asks for $6-mil for multi years.  TOR cannot pay to keep Brodie long term.

 

I would like Nylander though and agree he would be available at the right price.  Contract negotiations probably soured their relationship.  Plus, Nylander didn't get to play much with Matthews when he came back.  They kept Kapanen with Matthews.  Nylander is probably unhappy about that.

 

RHS RW trending upwards.  He's what we need. Born in Calgary too.

I'm not sure they would care if they extended Brodie or not. They have a few good D prospects not quite ready but would be the season after this one. Maybe it's Brodie a 1st and 2nd ( BT should be able to pick up a 2nd leading up to the draft )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some suggestion out there that the Zucker deal is being discussed again, with Bennett and Frolik being the Flames side of the deal.  That may seem like a hefty price to pay, but actually it's more like Bennett + cap dump/okay player for Zucker.  We would not land a player like Zucker for just Frolik.  As much as I like Frolik.  

 

How about we trade, instead, Brodie + Bennett for Trouba.  We get a top 2 RD.  They get a top 2 RD/LD.

We make a side deal with Minny for Zucker.  Frolik + Gillies + 2020 2nd.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

 

Here's aquestion for you.  Does he only get the usual ELC or does he get the chance to sign for whatever a team will offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Here's aquestion for you.  Does he only get the usual ELC or does he get the chance to sign for whatever a team will offer?

 

I believe he needs to sign a 1 year ELC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Oh, also Kessel needs to enter the conversation.  Seriously, RHS RW, point per game, only 3 years left on contract at $6.8-mil.  Playoff performer.

 

There are rumors that Minnesota and Pittsburgh are in trade discussions regarding Kessel. The rumor I was reading is Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Rask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

There are rumors that Minnesota and Pittsburgh are in trade discussions regarding Kessel. The rumor I was reading is Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Rask.

Great trade for both teams, hope it flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

There are rumors that Minnesota and Pittsburgh are in trade discussions regarding Kessel. The rumor I was reading is Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Rask.

 

Would Frolik + Backlund help us intercept Kessel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

Would Frolik + Backlund help us intercept Kessel?

 

Maybe, but I wouldn't do that deal. I don't think I would do Backlund straight across for Kessel. Nothing against Kessel, I just think we are too thin at center to be trading Backlund for a winger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Would Frolik + Backlund help us intercept Kessel?

Kessel a lazy bum let MIN have him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

 

There are rumors that Minnesota and Pittsburgh are in trade discussions regarding Kessel. The rumor I was reading is Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Rask.

 

The same rumor suggests it's Bennett + Frolik for Zucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

The same rumor suggests it's Bennett + Frolik for Zucker.

 

The wording in the article is tricky.

 

"According to Michael Russo of The Athletic, the Wild are actively shopping Zucker and have talked to Calgary about Sam Bennett and Michael Frolik; to Arizona about Christian Dvorak and Christian Fischer; and to Vegas about Jonathan Marchessault."

 

The way I read is that they have to about both players but not necessarily together in one trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

The wording in the article is tricky.

 

"According to Michael Russo of The Athletic, the Wild are actively shopping Zucker and have talked to Calgary about Sam Bennett and Michael Frolik; to Arizona about Christian Dvorak and Christian Fischer; and to Vegas about Jonathan Marchessault."

 

The way I read is that they have to about both players but not necessarily together in one trade.

 

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to read it either.  I don't have a subscription to the Athletic.  I thought both, but that only makes sense if Tre doesn;t want to add the 1st rounder, assuming they want at least that.  If the other rumor suggesting Kessel and JJ for Zucker/Rask is to be believed, then CGY would need to go Bennett+Frolik to be anywhere near same value.

 

Personally, I don't get why anyone would take Rask.  Minny got hosed on that deal and they are trying to recoup what they lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about who should be offered for Zucker doesn't make sense to me. He's a LHS/LW, isn't that side staffed enough? I don't see how the team would be ahead considering Fro plays the right side and Benny theoretically could go to C if needed.  Plus Zucker doesn't doesn't add size or a favorable +/-.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

All this talk about who should be offered for Zucker doesn't make sense to me. He's a LHS/LW, isn't that side staffed enough? I don't see how the team would be ahead considering Fro plays the right side and Benny theoretically could go to C if needed.  Plus Zucker doesn't doesn't add size or a favorable +/-.

This is why I would hope some other team get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I might have asked this before but what do we think we can get for Jankowski?  What's his trade value?

He’s a good sweetener in my mind if trying to land a bigger fish, but on his own you would be lucky to get more than a 3rd rounder I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frolik was also listed as a LWer in the past and has played mostly RW. Zucker can play both wings just as well. Depending on the moves Calgary has planned outside of Zucker the Bennett addition to Frolik being swapped for Zucker makes some sense. Bennett will get a slight raise this year and with Frolik included that will most likely be a total of 6.5 or more for Bennett who plays on the third line and Frolik who the team already wants to upgrade for the second line. If the trade was to included a prospect that Minny can part with or a conditional draft pick coming back our way than I would be ok with that trade.

 

I think Zucker would easily slot in to our top power play unit which was mostly bad last year. He also upgrades the RW, and could play anywhere on the wings in our top six if needed, which has huge value in its own. If Mang is expected to move up and play with Janko next year then Bennett would be moved down. I love Bennett's grit and heart but the team may need to cycle a few young guys in next year and Bennett's next salary could cover Dube and possibly Gawdin or Rudzika who I think have a good chance of making the fourth line next year.

 

Don't get me wrong I would rather find a better way to move cap out like Brodie or even better Stone. I just think that at this point we are bound to see something we don't want to happen happen and we should prepare ourselves for disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...