The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I disagree of course and the two reasons I've talked about in length a few times,

1. I think highly of what we have on D without Gio.

2. Giordano will decline.

Today is when we are talking about Gio.

Not Gio in 2 years time.

Would we see a huge decline from Gio-Brodie to Brodie-Trouba?

Probably not.

Do we lose more depth than if we just did Brodie for Trouba?

For sure.  

Brodie has not been stellar playing LD, which is where he would have to play.

The one thing I will point out is Trouba has one season with 50 points and only one other with more than 30.

Gio only has 2 season in the last 6 where he had less than 47 points.

Why not Hamonic for Trouba? Righty for a righty, Hamonic wanted to be in Winnipeg if possible, it could work better than making Brodie the cornerstone of such a trade.

6 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Why not Hamonic for Trouba? Righty for a righty, Hamonic wanted to be in Winnipeg if possible, it could work better than making Brodie the cornerstone of such a trade.

That makes sense to them, but we replace a physical player with a physical player.

Moving Brodie (+) is preferable since we trade a stick checker for a physical player.

I also tend to think that Brodie provides more of a puck mover than Hamonic.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Today is when we are talking about Gio.

Not Gio in 2 years time.

Would we see a huge decline from Gio-Brodie to Brodie-Trouba?

Probably not.

Do we lose more depth than if we just did Brodie for Trouba?

For sure.  

Brodie has not been stellar playing LD, which is where he would have to play.

The one thing I will point out is Trouba has one season with 50 points and only one other with more than 30.

Gio only has 2 season in the last 6 where he had less than 47 points.

Trouba has a longer runway.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trouba has a longer runway.

Is that in Gimli?

Anyway, we both know Gio has to be traded before he loses his value.

A repeat this coming year shows he's still an elite player.

We could trade him next summer for a top 6 player.

Maybe even upgrade the C position.

Trading him now for Trouba only keeps us the same, but for a longer period of time.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Anyway, we both know Gio has to be traded before he loses his value.

We could trade him next summer for a top 6 player.

His value is higher this season than next. He's one year older next season.

This season he could get a top 3, not just top 6.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't want to trade Bennett though.

I'd part with Frolik + Jankowski for Zucker pretty easily.

i agree on both counts. I like zucker and really like the fit but but i also agree that center is the more pressing need so im not keen on giving up a good asset unless it's a a center

but I do think they need more speed on the wing too

You do the best you can when you can. You don't avoid making one improvement when the chance is there because of a maybe that isn't right there.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Callahan put up 17 points this year and 18 points the season before that. He is 34 years old and is making $5.8m next season.

He isn't the same player he was, at this point he is nothing more than a 4th line energy guy with experience. 

I like the player, but taking on his contract makes no sense unless we get something in return, like a pick or prospect or sending Neal's contract the other way.

that was I was actually hoping for.. Callaghan for neal would be fair.. We tried Neal.. it didn't work.. Move on

20 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

that was I was actually hoping for.. Callaghan for neal would be fair.. We tried Neal.. it didn't work.. Move on

I would make that trade, but Tampa wouldn't. 

I would make that trade, but not because Callahan would be an improvement on Neal, because he wouldn't, but because he fits the 4th role. The main reason is because he only has 1 more year on his deal vs 4 more for Neal.

It's that difference in term that Tampa says no too. Plus they need to get rid of Callahan without taking money to be able to afford upgrades on defense and to re-sign their RFA'S.

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

His value is higher this season than next. He's one year older next season.

This season he could get a top 3, not just top 6.

Exactly.

So well said.    We know we have to trade Gio, that was great to read on here.  Very encouraged when I saw that.

And no disrespect to the guy at all.  It's about the cup is all.

We also know, his trade value will drop off Considerably in the next year.  That cannot be understated.    His value has never been this high relative to his age.

So it's a simple equation:

Do we have very high chances of winning the cup next year?

• If Yes:   Then keep him for now.
  • If No:   Then trade him now.   And increase your chances substantially in following years.

So as much as I appreciate the "gradual building" concept on here,  it really does come down to that single question.  Which we got wrong on Iggy, and many others.

32 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Exactly.

So well said.    We know we have to trade Gio, that was great to read on here.  Very encouraged when I saw that.

And no disrespect to the guy at all.  It's about the cup is all.

We also know, his trade value will drop off Considerably in the next year.  That cannot be understated.    His value has never been this high relative to his age.

So it's a simple equation:

Do we have very high chances of winning the cup next year?

• If Yes:   Then keep him for now.
  • If No:   Then trade him now.   And increase your chances substantially in following years.

So as much as I appreciate the "gradual building" concept on here,  it really does come down to that single question.  Which we got wrong on Iggy, and many others.

So much talk in the boards that,

"we should've trade Iggy 3 years earlier".

"Let's not make the same mistake with Giordano that we did with Iginla".

And here we are.  Let's follow through.

The only thing that's ambiguous on cap friendly is Giordano has a NTC starting in 2020-21... But it would be interpreted he has full NTC now, and then becomes modified later...  Not sure of the details.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So much talk in the boards that,

"we should've trade Iggy 3 years earlier".

"Let's not make the same mistake with Giordano that we did with Iginla".

And here we are.  Let's follow through.

The only thing that's ambiguous on cap friendly is Giordano has a NTC starting in 2020-21... But it would be interpreted he has full NTC now, and then becomes modified later...  Not sure of the details.

Trading Iginla and trading Giordano are not the same scenario at all. Our pipeline had been drained just trying to accommodate winning a SC for Iginla. This is not the case today and Giordano is just one incremental part towards winning one now. I don't understand this thinking that we "must" trade him before he is to old, WHY ? Giordano is a top4 defenseman now and will be as he finishes his contract. Our best chance to win a SC is in the next 3 IMO so no I wouldn't even be thinking about trading Giordano.

Gio has a no trade clause, so it’s unlikely he is moved.  If he were to agree, it would be the Iginla situation all over again, where he likely picks 2 or 3 teams he would accept a trade to thus limiting the return. The situations are also different in my opinion, as Iggy was on a clearly declining club that couldn’t accept it was over.  We are trending up I would say, and given how these playoffs have gone I think it is more apparent than ever that every team who qualifies has a shot at the big prize.

Finally, when was the last time a team traded one of their top players when they were not entering a tear down phase?  Maybe Hall for Larsson, which was stupid as heck.  Maybe Subban for Weber, but that was more of a lateral move for both teams (also stupid imo, but at least I can see the upside for both teams).  You trade Gio this off season and the signal is we aren’t competing for the cup next season.

17 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Gio has a no trade clause, so it’s unlikely he is moved.  If he were to agree, it would be the Iginla situation all over again, where he likely picks 2 or 3 teams he would accept a trade to thus limiting the return. The situations are also different in my opinion, as Iggy was on a clearly declining club that couldn’t accept it was over.  We are trending up I would say, and given how these playoffs have gone I think it is more apparent than ever that every team who qualifies has a shot at the big prize.

Finally, when was the last time a team traded one of their top players when they were not entering a tear down phase?  Maybe Hall for Larsson, which was stupid as heck.  Maybe Subban for Weber, but that was more of a lateral move for both teams (also stupid imo, but at least I can see the upside for both teams).  You trade Gio this off season and the signal is we aren’t competing for the cup next season.

I wouldn't worry about Giordano being traded, management knows his true value is right here with this team.

21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Trading Iginla and trading Giordano are not the same scenario at all. Our pipeline had been drained just trying to accommodate winning a SC for Iginla. This is not the case today and Giordano is just one incremental part towards winning one now. I don't understand this thinking that we "must" trade him before he is to old, WHY ? Giordano is a top4 defenseman now and will be as he finishes his contract. Our best chance to win a SC is in the next 3 IMO so no I wouldn't even be thinking about trading Giordano.

Because we can potentially get a top line RW.

Question is, does our LD suck so bad that we miss the playoffs losing Gio?  

If there is a hint out of TOR that they would trade Nylander I hope BT is in there like a dirty shirt.

22 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Gio has a no trade clause, so it’s unlikely he is moved. 

Cap friendly isn't clear.  Does he have full NTC right now and then it becomes 19 team list in 2020/21?  Or does he has no NTC and then it becomes a 19 team list in 2020/21?

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If there is a hint out of TOR that they would trade Nylander I hope BT is in there like a dirty shirt.

I agree.  If there is a hint TOR chooses to shop Marner instead, then we also must get in there.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Because we can potentially get a top line RW.

Question is, does our LD suck so bad that we miss the playoffs losing Gio?  

I don't think BT needs to use Giordano to achieve that feat. In regards to your second statement it is not a matter of whether our other LD suck it is a matter of them being able to replace Giordano's leadership and experience towards winning a SC. Do you think Hanifin or Valimaki are ready to step in and take Giordano's place ?

34 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

You trade Gio this off season and the signal is we aren’t competing for the cup next season.

Because... If we trade Gio for Nylander, then that signals we aren't competing for the Cup?  What? 

Are u thinking 1st + prospect + grinder?  I was thinking getting a top line player back.

Just now, MAC331 said:

I don't think BT needs to use Giordano to achieve that feat. In regards to your second statement it is not a matter of whether our other LD suck it is a matter of them being able to replace Giordano's leadership and experience towards winning a SC. Do you think Hanifin or Valimaki are ready to step in and take Giordano's place ?

Well in terms of leadership, I think Monahan is ready to be captain.  Also Hamonic is a respected voice in the locker room.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I agree.  If there is a hint TOR chooses to shop Marner instead, then we also must get in there.

They won't shop Marner, he is the favored child there.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Well in terms of leadership, I think Monahan is ready to be captain.  Also Hamonic is a respected voice in the locker room.

You must be the only person that thinks like this right now.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You must be the only person that thinks like this right now.

Giordano wasn't exactly a playoff star leading by example.  Thus, fair enough, the entire leadership group needs to be questioned.

As you know, if it was up to me, I've ready traded Giordano, Monahan, and Gaudreau.