The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

If we do go after Zucker, I wonder if we can get Joel Eriksson Ek in the deal as well. How much do we have to add to Frolik? Jankowski?

I would guess it would cost a little more but it might be a good starting point.

Frolik

Jankowski

Gillies

for

Zucker

Eriksson Ek

JTech780:

I'm kind of on the fence regarding taking on Jason Zucker's contract.

4 more years at a $5.5M Cap Hit ($5.625M per in actual dollars).

He's only been close to worth those dollars once (during the 2017/2018 season).

He will be nearly 31 years old when it expires.

Beginning July 25, he will have a 10 team no trade list.

That said, I'd certainly take a shot at him for Frolik+ a bottom 6 roster forward, or a B prospect, or a 2020 3rd round draft pick.

Personally, I don't have much interest in Joel Eriksson.

In the NHL, his best season has been 6G + 10A = 16P in 75 games.

IMO, the only advantage that he has over Mark Jankowski is that he is two years younger and plays a little better of a 200' game.

3 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

JTech780:

I'm kind of on the fence regarding taking on Jason Zucker's contract.

4 more years at a $5.5M Cap Hit ($5.625M per in actual dollars).

He's only been close to worth those dollars once (during the 2017/2018 season).

He will be nearly 31 years old when it expires.

Beginning July 25, he will have a 10 team no trade list.

That said, I'd certainly take a shot at him for Frolik+ a bottom 6 roster forward, or a B prospect, or a 2020 3rd round draft pick.

Personally, I don't have much interest in Joel Eriksson.

In the NHL, his best season has been 6G + 10A = 16P in 75 games.

IMO, the only advantage that he has over Mark Jankowski is that he is two years younger and plays a little better of a 200' game.

I get what you are saying about the contract, but Zucker brings a lot of elements that we need. His speed and skating are elite, he competes hard every night, and he is very good defensively. His numbers don't look great, but there isn't a ton of offensive skill on that team.

Eriksson Ek is much better defensively than Jankowski and he competes extremely hard. Jankowski has peaked in his development, but I think Eriksson Ek has lots of room to grow.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get what you are saying about the contract, but Zucker brings a lot of elements that we need. His speed and skating are elite, he competes hard every night, and he is very good defensively. His numbers don't look great, but there isn't a ton of offensive skill on that team.

Eriksson Ek is much better defensively than Jankowski and he competes extremely hard. Jankowski has peaked in his development, but I think Eriksson Ek has lots of room to grow.

How can you say this? Backlund took years to fully develop. Janko could make another step forward next year, maybe by adding a physical side to his game just like Bennett has.

7 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

How can you say this? Backlund took years to fully develop. Janko could make another step forward next year, maybe by adding a physical side to his game just like Bennett has.

Bennett has always had a physical side, he was just more consistent with it this season.

Jankowski has never shown a physical side.

He showed no improvements from last season to this season. He is also showing limited hockey IQ or vision to take his game to another level.

10 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Why don't we talk about Hoffman? I would prefer him to Zucker personally. 

Hoffman gives you more offense, but he doesn't give you the same 200' game or the same compete level. I will take the higher compete level, even if it means 10 less goals.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

At this point I think Trouba is a pipe dream. I think he simply just doesn’t want to play in canada. Winnipeg is a better overall team than us and he won’t sign with them, can’t see him signing here either. If he’s not traded to an American team this summer, he will sign a one year deal and then sign in Detroit.

I think that sometimes a report that player X says something turns into fact that is used for years afterwards.

Trouba plays in Canada for a team where he's been bridge-deal twice since his ELC expired.

Since they have to re-sign a bunch of guys, not to mention Laine's and Connor's new rich deals, they only have so much left to pay him and Myers.

Are they shoopping him?  Probably.  Will he only play in the US?  I doubt that.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think that sometimes a report that player X says something turns into fact that is used for years afterwards.

Trouba plays in Canada for a team where he's been bridge-deal twice since his ELC expired.

Since they have to re-sign a bunch of guys, not to mention Laine's and Connor's new rich deals, they only have so much left to pay him and Myers.

Are they shoopping him?  Probably.  Will he only play in the US?  I doubt that.

They won't bring Myers back but the other two signings will put the squeeze on there.

What is the cost to get Matt Murray out of Pittsburgh?

They have Casey DeSmith signed and putting up solid numbers. They also are in danger of losing Tristan Jarry to waivers this upcoming season if I am not mistaken.

Murray is coming off of two sub par years and two sub par playoffs.

Murray only has 1 more year at $3.75m, and then he becomes an RFA with arb rights. Maybe they look to move him now before he is ready for a big payday.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What is the cost to get Matt Murray out of Pittsburgh?

They have Casey DeSmith signed and putting up solid numbers. They also are in danger of losing Tristan Jarry to waivers this upcoming season if I am not mistaken.

Murray is coming off of two sub par years and two sub par playoffs.

Murray only has 1 more year at $3.75m, and then he becomes an RFA with arb rights. Maybe they look to move him now before he is ready for a big payday.

That's a good question.  Jarry might actually be available, since the Pens probably can't afford to trade him and get a replacement.  Jarry isn't going to cut it as the backup.  I don't think so, anyway.

Jarry should be a low cost player to aquire, though.

Send back a prospect that can play in the AHL.

Not exactly something that fixes our issues though.

If we were to trade for Murray, I would imagine it would be an expensive trade.

At least as much as we paid for Elliott.

Bennett and Brodie don't help them cap wise.

If we took Gudbranson or Jack Johnson in the deal, we might get away with Brodie + Janko + MacDonald for Murray + overpriced D-man. 

Make it Gudbranson and we never have to worry about signing and playing Peluso again.

At worst, we have Gudbranson sitting in the press box with Kylington and Valimaki playing.

At best, we can have Valimaki-Gudbranson playing as the 3rd pair.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's a good question.  Jarry might actually be available, since the Pens probably can't afford to trade him and get a replacement.  Jarry isn't going to cut it as the backup.  I don't think so, anyway.

Jarry should be a low cost player to aquire, though.

Send back a prospect that can play in the AHL.

Not exactly something that fixes our issues though.

If we were to trade for Murray, I would imagine it would be an expensive trade.

At least as much as we paid for Elliott.

Bennett and Brodie don't help them cap wise.

If we took Gudbranson or Jack Johnson in the deal, we might get away with Brodie + Janko + MacDonald for Murray + overpriced D-man. 

Make it Gudbranson and we never have to worry about signing and playing Peluso again.

At worst, we have Gudbranson sitting in the press box with Kylington and Valimaki playing.

At best, we can have Valimaki-Gudbranson playing as the 3rd pair.

I was actually thinking that if we can't get Murray, that Jarry might be a viable option as a back up. He has upside and he would be cheap in terms of contract and cost to acquire.

How about Monahan + Neal + Parsons for Kessel + Gudbranson + Murray? Assumes pitts is in the mood to move on from Murray, but they seem to want to move from Kessel. Could just buyout Gudbranson to clear cap space on our end, would be a lot cheaper than Neal.

40 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

How about Monahan + Neal + Parsons for Kessel + Gudbranson + Murray? Assumes pitts is in the mood to move on from Murray, but they seem to want to move from Kessel. Could just buyout Gudbranson to clear cap space on our end, would be a lot cheaper than Neal.

So we give up a top center on a value deal for a winger and a goalie?

Back to the Iggy Days.

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Why is everyone trading Monahan around here. Let him and Gaudreau do their thing, build the rest of the team properly with more and better complimentary players.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, MAC331 said:

Aiming higher like who ? If you don't think Nylander has a high compete you haven't watched him much. Glad it isn't your decision.

Sorry MAC. JT is right. I’ve watched Nylander a lot living here in TO. In a full regular season, no doubt he’ll put up points. When it comes to playoffs however, he floats and folds and waits for someone else to go into the corners and “feed him”. He’s a VERY soft player, and after seeing the softness in our playoffs this year, we don’t need another player like that. At all. 

Marner not only has slick mitts, high IQ, and scoring ability - he showed a lot of grit and determination for a non-physical player these past playoffs. I was really impressed. He’d be the lone target from Toronto in my books, but as mentioned by someone previous, Marner isn’t going anywhere. Toronto will trade just about anyone else to keep him in the fold. 

On 5/26/2019 at 11:24 PM, FlameFan4Life said:

Janko is a tough one for me. I see and agree with what you’re saying here, but part of me doesn’t believe enough in him... 

I would be open minded to trading him for the right fit. 

10 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Sorry MAC. JT is right. I’ve watched Nylander a lot living here in TO. In a full regular season, no doubt he’ll put up points. When it comes to playoffs however, he floats and folds and waits for someone else to go into the corners and “feed him”. He’s a VERY soft player, and after seeing the softness in our playoffs this year, we don’t need another player like that. At all. 

Marner not only has slick mitts, high IQ, and scoring ability - he showed a lot of grit and determination for a non-physical player these past playoffs. I was really impressed. He’d be the lone target from Toronto in my books, but as mentioned by someone previous, Marner isn’t going anywhere. Toronto will trade just about anyone else to keep him in the fold. 

I respect your thinking but you always need players like Nylander if you can get them. If your top line gets you there then your other lines should be capable of taking over in the playoffs. This is why BT and BP need to build our middle 6 forwards into a better group. Gaudreau and Monahan have made average layers excel, I would love to see what a truly talented RW could do with these two.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Nylander

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Backlund, Connolly

Dube, Ryan, Hathaway

This should be a playoff calibre group of forwards for 2019/20

So a couple of guys who might be available as they are waiver eligible that might be interesting picks up are.

Michael Dal Colle: former 5th overall pick hasn't been able to stick at the NHL level, but he finally seemed to put it together a bit last year posting 34 points in 34 games in Bridgeport of the AHL and getting into 28 games for the Islanders. He is 6'3" 205lbs LW. 

Might be worth a shot if some of our LW's can move to the right side.

A.J. Greer: a 6'3" 205lbs power forward, who was taken 39th overall by Colorado. Greer posted 44 points in 54 games in the AHL this past season and made it into 15 Games for Colorado.

We need to continue to find size and skill for this lineup, Greer like Dal Colle could help with that.

There has been some mention that Nichushkin may be bought out so he can return to Europe.

I'm not sure what the deal is with him, but he may be a buy-low option.

Dallas might even retain some salary.

I can't see him being a complete bust, but then again I don't know why he went without a goal this season.

15 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Janko is a tough one for me. I see and agree with what you’re saying here, but part of me doesn’t believe enough in him... 

I would be open minded to trading him for the right fit. 

a couple years ago, my hope was that Janko would replace Backlund as our defensive third line center and Backlund could move his offensive game up as our second line offensive center.. Now.. I just don't see any progress in Janko's game and I believe that Dube is close to earning that spot.. which moves Janko to the trade list .. along with Backlund for a true offensive number two centerman

16 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Do you think TOR will do Marner for Gaudreau+Brodie?

15 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

a couple years ago, my hope was that Janko would replace Backlund as our defensive third line center and Backlund could move his offensive game up as our second line offensive center.. Now.. I just don't see any progress in Janko's game and I believe that Dube is close to earning that spot.. which moves Janko to the trade list .. along with Backlund for a true offensive number two centerman

Bennett was on the list to bump down Monahan.  That didn't work out.

As it stands now, Mangiapane has superior scoring metrics over Bennett.

Bennett does bring a couple of things to the table, though.

25 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Same same. 

But Janko is sneaky on the PK and has shown a great snipe with his wrist shot.  I think we should move him to LW and try him there where he doesn't have to drive play.  He can focus on going up and down the wing and using his great shot.  He also has size for the boards.  He "could" be a 25-goal scorer if we take away his defensive responsibilities and just tell him to play wing and score.  Also, giving him some PP time would be nice.

But but, he's almost definitely a failed Center.  The Flames problem is the LW is too stacked and so Janko could end up being the odd man out.  It's unfortunate we may trade him before his value hits peak. It would be ideal to play Janko on the 2nd line LW... 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett was on the list to bump down Monahan.  That didn't work out.

As it stands now, Mangiapane has superior scoring metrics over Bennett.

Bennett does bring a couple of things to the table, though.

What are these metrics you speak of ?