The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Same same. 

But Janko is sneaky on the PK and has shown a great snipe with his wrist shot.  I think we should move him to LW and try him there where he doesn't have to drive play.  He can focus on going up and down the wing and using his great shot.  He also has size for the boards.  He "could" be a 25-goal scorer if we take away his defensive responsibilities and just tell him to play wing and score.  Also, giving him some PP time would be nice.

But but, he's almost definitely a failed Center.  The Flames problem is the LW is too stacked and so Janko could end up being the odd man out.  It's unfortunate we may trade him before his value hits peak. It would be ideal to play Janko on the 2nd line LW... 

I;m just not a big fan of moving players off their natural positions.. Some have suggested moving Monahan to wing or flipping Tkachuk to his right side.. I prefer right handed shots on right wing.. etc.. The only exception I'd make with our current roster would be to use Bennett on Left wing instead of center.. I just don't see him as a centerman But I love his passion and drive.. We have been lacking a true power center for so many years I barely remember the last game that Nieuwendyk played.. For me.. Monahan and Jankowski just never show enough drive to be leaders on this team

7 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

What are these metrics you speak of ?

He scores goals more efficiently, but I think that's about it.  Sam still tops him slightly in overall points per 60 minutes of icetime.

I am kind of curious why the flames have decided Janko is good enough to centre the third line but Bennett isn't good enough to be a centre.  They seem equally flawed/capable in that regard to me.  I wouldn't be opposed to trying Bennett at centre again, maybe with Mangiapagne on the wing.  While Bennett has a tendancy to hog the puck, when he decides to be a playmaker he's actually pretty good at it (hence leading the team in the playoffs with 4 assists including a pretty nice dish on a pp if I recall correctly).  Maybe putting him with a quick winger with some pop in his stick could work.

1 minute ago, Horsman1 said:

I;m just not a big fan of moving players off their natural positions.. Some have suggested moving Monahan to wing or flipping Tkachuk to his right side.. I prefer right handed shots on right wing.. etc.. The only exception I'd make with our current roster would be to use Bennett on Left wing instead of center.. I just don't see him as a centerman But I love his passion and drive.. We have been lacking a true power center for so many years I barely remember the last game that Nieuwendyk played.. For me.. Monahan and Jankowski just never show enough drive to be leaders on this team

Oh totally.  In regards to Janko, it's just that he's not a great Center, just like Bennett.  So along the same lines that Bennett shouldn't play Center, neither should Janko.  If there's a Janko trade for a RHS RW, then i'm all for it.

4 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

He scores goals more efficiently, but I think that's about it.  Sam still tops him slightly in overall points per 60 minutes of icetime.

I am kind of curious why the flames have decided Janko is good enough to centre the third line but Bennett isn't good enough to be a centre.  They seem equally flawed/capable in that regard to me.  I wouldn't be opposed to trying Bennett at centre again, maybe with Mangiapagne on the wing.  While Bennett has a tendancy to hog the puck, when he decides to be a playmaker he's actually pretty good at it (hence leading the team in the playoffs with 4 assists including a pretty nice dish on a pp if I recall correctly).  Maybe putting him with a quick winger with some pop in his stick could work.

I think you hit on it.

Bennett does tend to hold onto the puck, but also tends to lose it.

Between Bennett, Janko, and Mangiapane, we have a bunch of 3rd line wingers.

Janko got better at faceoffs this year, but I don't think he played the position that well.

I think moving Mony is a good idea. Hes too scared of physicality.  Crosby and Towes are #1s. They take an outright beating and win. He, does score goals but a lot of them are his wingers grappling along the boards and him skating through the slot for pucks. He, has a knack for knowing when the puck is going to squirt out. But, is JG going to be upset if his center man is moved? Mony for Zibanajed (ZBJ). 

New Jersey needs defensive help so maybe a trade for K. Pamelari. Take Froliks spot. Hes, a gritty player.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you hit on it.

Bennett does tend to hold onto the puck, but also tends to lose it.

Between Bennett, Janko, and Mangiapane, we have a bunch of 3rd line wingers.

Janko got better at faceoffs this year, but I don't think he played the position that well.

Flames dropped the ball on Bennet. Its, weird that he scored 20 under Hartley as a Rookie Center. Think, about that. 20 goals as a Rookie Center? Then, just kind of went down hill at center. Thanks to Gooflutzen. His tangibles are kind of like Peter Forsbergs. I've, always liked him but I think the organization went some where wrong with him (Gulutzen). Which, is to bad. I, think hed flourish as a center with another team. Is, that maybe why BT doesnt want to let him go? They have him a fighter role. Hes 6 foot 200 pounds. Does, that scream heavyweight fighter to u guys? I'm, sure we can all tell that he hates his current role in Calgary. I, think he absolutley hates playing this role.

50 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I believe Bennett's game took a big leap forward this season maybe because he realized it was now or never if he wanted to remain a Flame. I don't think BP should hold him back any longer and play him at C between Tkachuk and Lindholm, line mates with similar compete level but complimenting talents. Let him take his shot at playing with the best we have for the top 6 and see what happens. We might be surprised where his production rises to playing with these two.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I believe Bennett's game took a big leap forward this season maybe because he realized it was now or never if he wanted to remain a Flame. I don't think BP should hold him back any longer and play him at C between Tkachuk and Lindholm, line mates with similar compete level but complimenting talents. Let him take his shot at playing with the best we have for the top 6 and see what happens. We might be surprised where his production rises to playing with these two.

I agree. Put Benny with Chucky and Lindholm and hed flourish. Benny should force the issue hes been a good teammate. 20 goals as a rookie center. Flames dropped the ball on his development by hiring the worst development coach in Gulutzen. 

37 minutes ago, Irocke99 said:

New Jersey needs defensive help so maybe a trade for K. Pamelari. Take Froliks spot. Hes, a gritty player.

I would do Brodie, Jankowski, Gillies for Palmieri and Zacha.

I like Palmieri and think he would be a good fit here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would do that trade too. Nice one. I read somewhere that Palmelari and Johnny were good friends.

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

Back in the day if A player had some size and weight and a docile personality they still got bloody and bruised. Now, a days lol the players are situated and given roles suited to their personalities. Mony has size Janks has size but both are scared as hell to take a beating. Grey beard Ryan is a smaller guy and took a beating. Probably why BP loves him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I'd do that trade, but I don't see why NJ does that trade.  Palmieri is a 25 goal scorer on a team with no offense, and is on a value contract.  He has more value than Brodie in my opinion.  Zacha = Jankowski more or less, but he is younger with more upside.  Gilles is close to being a bust now, and carries little value.  However this might be a starting point.  Maybe Brodie + Frolik + Janko would move the needle.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I'd do that trade, but I don't see why NJ does that trade.  Palmieri is a 25 goal scorer on a team with no offense, and is on a value contract.  He has more value than Brodie in my opinion.  Zacha = Jankowski more or less, but he is younger with more upside.  Gilles is close to being a bust now, and carries little value.  However this might be a starting point.  Maybe Brodie + Frolik + Janko would move the needle.

Gilles might look like a bust now, but most goalies dont come around until 26-28 years old. That's what sucks about drafting goalies. Most GMs talk about defense driving the transitional play. So, maybe that's what NJs problem was. Maybe,  TJ could give them more transitional offense.

If we traded Brodie for Kadri TOR would we keep Backlund or trade him ? I would lean towards trading him and move Bennett into our 3rd line C.

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

If we traded Brodie for Kadri TOR would we keep Backlund or trade him ? I would lean towards trading him and move Bennett into our 3rd line C.

Considering how Hertl, Couture, and Thornton kept MacKinnon in check while Backlund didn't even show up for the playoffs, I would trade Backlund regardless.

That OT chance he had.  Wide open and couldn't lift the puck over Grubauer's pad.  The story of his career.

We need more center depth not less, so trading for Kadri and then trading away Backlund doesn't make much sense to me. I think you need to be 4 deep at center and we are 1 short of that goal, with Jankowski being the weak link.

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We need more center depth not less, so trading for Kadri and then trading away Backlund doesn't make much sense to me. I think you need to be 4 deep at center and we are 1 short of that goal, with Jankowski being the weak link.

Bennett's game could handle 3rd line C easily. Trade Jankowski for picks.

The way I see it is Ryan will get 3rd line minutes as long as BP is coach. So, let’s upgrade the 3rd line wings instead of having 2-3 small players with him. Then get a decent 4th line C. 

As as much as I don’t like Monahan, I don’t think he’s going anywhere and not leaving Gaudreau’s side. 

I dont mind Backlund. But I think it’s a better idea to platoon a couple of C’s to shut down the other teams. I think Backlund ran out of gas and was too tired after playing big minutes in the series. 

Although i I do worry that Ryan isn’t big enough to handle a shutdown C role. 

I like the the idea of trying Bennett as a C but I don’t see them wanting to go there for some reason. I am still of the belief, like some others, that he would take off on a different team.

are we holding him back? Maybe.

23 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Bennett's game could handle 3rd line C easily. Trade Jankowski for picks.

Backlund and Ryan are the only centers that make the players around them better. Bennett just isn't that type of player. I think it is a steep drop off from Backlund to Bennett as a center. 

Don't get me wrong I really like what Bennett brings to the table, but I think that changes if he moves to center. He won't be able to be as physical and as a aggressive as a center.

I also really like the idea of Bennett being paired with Backlund as Bennett had his best year playing on Backlund's wing.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Kadri-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Ryan-Neal

That's a pretty deep lineup. You really don't have to worry about matchups, though I would play the top line in 70% offensive situations and let the rest of the lines figure out the defensive matchups.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Backlund and Ryan are the only centers that make the players around them better. Bennett just isn't that type of player. I think it is a steep drop off from Backlund to Bennett as a center. 

Don't get me wrong I really like what Bennett brings to the table, but I think that changes if he moves to center. He won't be able to be as physical and as a aggressive as a center.

I also really like the idea of Bennett being paired with Backlund as Bennett had his best year playing on Backlund's wing.

Tkachuk-Kadri-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Ryan-Neal

That's a pretty deep lineup. You really don't have to worry about matchups, though I would play the top line in 70% offensive situations and let the rest of the lines figure out the defensive matchups.

I don't think your viewpoint takes into account what he has learned since being here. Why keep looking backwards to the year he came in. Another case could be made that he played with crap line mates every year since being on Backlund's line in his rookie year. Anyways the question was involving the trade of Backlund and our options from there. If this was done I would hop to see Bennett get some consideration for C position. If not they could go with Monahan, Kadri, Ryan and Dube down the middle and there is no way tey should move Mangiapane to RW.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Kadri-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Ryan-Neal

Not bad.  I'm not so sure Czarnik has a future here is the top 9.

I think you could play Neal with Kadri and Tkachuk.

More grinding than speed.

JH-Monahan-Lindy

Tkachuk-Kadri-Neal

Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Ryan-Czarnik

The 4th line is all about speed.  Mangiapane with Backlund might show some finish.  2nd line should see Neal be able to finish plays, since he doesn't have to worry about defensive responsibility.  That defaults to Backlund and Ryan's lines.Last year, the 3rd line played too much defensive hockey, which doesn;t suit Neal and put Janko on the wrong side of the play.  It's like he was always thinking about getting the puck back instead of thinking about scoring.

6 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I don't think your viewpoint takes into account what he has learned since being here. Why keep looking backwards to the year he came in. Another case could be made that he played with crap line mates every year since being on Backlund's line in his rookie year. Anyways the question was involving the trade of Backlund and our options from there. If this was done I would hop to see Bennett get some consideration for C position. If not they could go with Monahan, Kadri, Ryan and Dube down the middle and there is no way tey should move Mangiapane to RW.

You could be right about Bennett as a center, my standpoint is we have a proven top end defensive center in Backlund who can get the puck going the other way, why move him.

Having Mangiapane on the right side should allow him to be in more shooting positions, and he has the smarts and skill to be able to move to the other wing without much issue.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not bad.  I'm not so sure Czarnik has a future here is the top 9.

I think you could play Neal with Kadri and Tkachuk.

More grinding than speed.

JH-Monahan-Lindy

Tkachuk-Kadri-Neal

Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Ryan-Czarnik

The 4th line is all about speed.  Mangiapane with Backlund might show some finish.  2nd line should see Neal be able to finish plays, since he doesn't have to worry about defensive responsibility.  That defaults to Backlund and Ryan's lines.Last year, the 3rd line played too much defensive hockey, which doesn;t suit Neal and put Janko on the wrong side of the play.  It's like he was always thinking about getting the puck back instead of thinking about scoring.

I just would prefer to see Neal with 2 speedy guys, having Neal with Tkachuk worries me. I think they would great in the offensive zone, but everywhere else I think it would be an issue.

With Ryan and Dube you have two speedy guys and Ryan has shown to be a solid puck distributor.

Czarnik showed very good possession numbers when playing with Bennett and I think if he was given every day playing time with a consistent line you would see much more consistent numbers and effort from him.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Another-Kessel-Deal-Subban-Nylander-Habs-moving-in-Draft-Weds-Buzz/1/99717

Eklund has us in on Kessel, this should make Peeps happy.

I wouldn't mind getting Kessel, he just wouldn't be my 1st choice, and just like any trade it depends on what is going out the door the other way.

I guess if we did get Kessel we could move Lindholm into a 2nd line center role.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangipane

The only issue I see is that Kessel likes to carry the puck and so does Gaudreau so they have to be on seperate lines.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Kessel