The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

6 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

I don't know that Virtanen has been a bust or he is just their Bennett. I like Virtanen but as a 3rd line RW.

Boston looks like they need some offensive d help.. Brodie for DeBrusk>> lazar for virtanen?? virtanen/bennett/ Debrusk for third line???

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

Boston looks like they need some offensive d help.. Brodie for DeBrusk>> lazar for virtanen?? virtanen/bennett/ Debrusk for third line???

I don't think the Lazar use will work but maybe Kylington. I would love to see Brodie for Dubrusk, not sure the Bruins would, maybe.

Dubrusk, Bennett, Virtanen would be an awesome line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Another Team to really keep an eye on is Vegas . They are already projecting over the current $83M cap.. with some pretty recognizable names to sign

They need to shed salary .. good reason why even Engellands $1M is likely to be dropped ..   we may get Reaves yet , could also be a possible place to dangle Neal .. see if they'll work something out for Marchessault and his $5M

The player I would like to get from Vegas using our 1st rnder + is Tuck. A big hard on the puck right winger. Also one of the few players without a NTC. He would work excellent with JG and Mony or Tkachuk and Backlund. He is tied up long term at a reasonable contract but would they move him?

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://bluelinestation.com/2019/06/05/new-york-rangers-travis-hamonic-t-j-brodie-flames-block/3/

This isn't a rumour as it's posted by a blogger. The Ranger blogger throws out the idea of Pionk and Kreider for Hamonic and Frolik. That's a no brainer for me. He then mentions he'd rather have Mangiapane than Frolik. I'd still think long and hard about it.

The more I think about it and now that the steam has worn off from the trade rumours of last week, I could see why a Hamonic trade would make sense. An extension for him is risky, the game is getting faster and for someone who's not an elite skater and plays as hard as he does, when the decline comes it could come very fast.

I recently read an article about how teams want to acquire Zucker because of what he means in a locker room, Hamonic is no different. I think more teams will value his style of game and his renowned off ice rep a bit more than Brodie

Hammer is a team first guy, 100% sacrifice and 100% effort every night which is why he should stay. Plus even though theres no NMC in his contract I don't think he's too eager to move back out east.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Hammer is a team first guy, 100% sacrifice and 100% effort every night which is why he should stay. Plus even though theres no NMC in his contract I don't think he's too eager to move back out east.

I don't think we will see Hamonic going anywhere. I'm not sure we will even see Brodie traded will believe it when I see it. I have been saying for 3 years to lose Brodie. LOL

• Like 1

I wonder if Montreal would do Brodie for Danault? They need defense. They also have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Thompson down the middle.

Danault would add some really solid depth down the middle. He might not be the most ideal upgrade but he would be a solid fit on the 3rd line.

Might be able to add Jankowski for a pick as part of the deal.

13 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

we don't need anymore third and forth line centers.. we really need a top 2 linecenter

Danault certainly isn't a 4th line center and is on par with Backlund both defensively and offensively. 

Not too many teams are going to be willing to give up top 6 centers, and they few that are will be looking for an overpay. 

Danault and Backlund gives you two shut down centers who can get the puck moving in the right direction, Danault is also a good playmaker so a 3rd line of Bennett-Danault-Neal might actually work.

Danault put up 53 points playing on Montreal's 2nd line last year.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Danault certainly isn't a 4th line center and is on par with Backlund both defensively and offensively. 

Not too many teams are going to be willing to give up top 6 centers, and they few that are will be looking for an overpay. 

Danault and Backlund gives you two shut down centers who can get the puck moving in the right direction, Danault is also a good playmaker so a 3rd line of Bennett-Danault-Neal might actually work.

Danault put up 53 points playing on Montreal's 2nd line last year.

Are you also suggesting we get rid of Janko or Bennett?

Lots of middle 6 options for the wing.

Janko might be better served by moving to the wing, but then you have Bennett there.

Bennett-Danault-Neal seems to be another rehashing of last years Janko line, if not improved.

Was that line anything worth improving or just blow it up.

I don't mind the player, just think we need to stop looking to build lines by replacing one piece.

Top line you can do that, since they work.

Tkachuk line needs a new piece or build around him.

3rd line needs a lot of work.

4th line close.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Are you also suggesting we get rid of Janko or Bennett?

Lots of middle 6 options for the wing.

Janko might be better served by moving to the wing, but then you have Bennett there.

Bennett-Danault-Neal seems to be another rehashing of last years Janko line, if not improved.

Was that line anything worth improving or just blow it up.

I don't mind the player, just think we need to stop looking to build lines by replacing one piece.

Top line you can do that, since they work.

Tkachuk line needs a new piece or build around him.

3rd line needs a lot of work.

4th line close.

I would move Jankowski out for a pick.

Danault is a pretty good playmaker so I think it could work. Jankowski is terrible at distributing the puck. Having Bennett to dig pucks out, Danault to distribute pucks and Neal to bury pucks.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would move Jankowski out for a pick.

Danault is a pretty good playmaker so I think it could work. Jankowski is terrible at distributing the puck. Having Bennett to dig pucks out, Danault to distribute pucks and Neal to bury pucks.

All well and good, but perhaps Janko is a better winger than C.

He's playing a more difficult position than Bennett and still outscoring him.

I would consider moving on from both and rebuilding the line entirely.

I would like to see a retooling of the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Other than Tkachuk''s PP points, the 2nd line was not a scoring line.

Backlund could easily be a 60 point player with the chances he gets, but he can;t finish.

The 3rd line hasn;t worked in years.

Here's one that made me laugh.

Staples had a column in the EDM Journal and was talking about Oilers kicking the tires on Neal.

Was fine when he said CGY would not want to trade a declining Neal for one that has already fallen (Lucic).

He goes on to suggest that the Oiler might instead trade Russell for Neal, but CGY would need to retain salary?

Bwahahaha. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Staples had a column in the EDM Journal and was talking about Oilers kicking the tires on Neal.

Was fine when he said CGY would not want to trade a declining Neal for one that has already fallen (Lucic).

He goes on to suggest that the Oiler might instead trade Russell for Neal, but CGY would need to retain salary?

Bwahahaha. 

Too much wild fire smoke up in Edmonton so we should be a bit forgiving because of that. 😀

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Montreal would do Brodie for Danault? They need defense. They also have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Thompson down the middle.

Danault would add some really solid depth down the middle. He might not be the most ideal upgrade but he would be a solid fit on the 3rd line.

Might be able to add Jankowski for a pick as part of the deal.

Domi has always been more of a LW than a C so I don't see Danault being available. Maybe just Brodie for their #1 pick makes more sense.

51 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Domi has always been more of a LW than a C so I don't see Danault being available. Maybe just Brodie for their #1 pick makes more sense.

Montreal moved Domi to C last year and he played there pretty much the whole season. He took the 2nd most faceoffs on the team last year.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Montreal moved Domi to C last year and he played there pretty much the whole season. He took the 2nd most faceoffs on the team last year.

OK but it doesn't mean they have to keep him there if they had someone better.

15 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

I don't think the Lazar use will work but maybe Kylington. I would love to see Brodie for Dubrusk, not sure the Bruins would, maybe.

Dubrusk, Bennett, Virtanen would be an awesome line.

Imagine if Boston took Barzal and not Senyshn (spelling) with our pick. What a dumb move.

11 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

OK but it doesn't mean they have to keep him there if they had someone better.

Except Domi had far and away his best season last year playing at C, so why would they move him off of C? He clearly their number 1 center.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bwahahaha. 

Would Neal at -1M be more attractive? Even for any other team? Does it have to be 2m? 

What would a Neal buyout be? Retained cap hit could be a good thing considering we would still have to pay that on a buyout anyway, but retaining could but us less years than a buyout would cost?

i think I’d retain up to 1.5 & is that enough?

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Would Neal at -1M be more attractive? Even for any other team? Does it have to be 2m? 

What would a Neal buyout be? Retained cap hit could be a good thing considering we would still have to pay that on a buyout anyway, but retaining could but us less years than a buyout would cost?

Well, a buyout would be a 1.9m cap ht for 8 years.

Would cost the Flames 15m actual money.

No way that's happening.

Retain 1.75 salary and he's still 4m for a team to take on.

I would consider Neal + Janko for Kessel + Jarry.

We get out a year earlier, and the overall trade $$ works out to be basically equal.

Maybe Nashville would take him + Janko for Turris + Jarnkrok.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, a buyout would be a 1.9m cap ht for 8 years.

Would cost the Flames 15m actual money.

No way that's happening.

Retain 1.75 salary and he's still 4m for a team to take on.

I would consider Neal + Janko for Kessel + Jarry.

We get out a year earlier, and the overall trade $$ works out to be basically equal.

Maybe Nashville would take him + Janko for Turris + Jarnkrok.

But if the bad year was an anomaly then 4M for a 20+ goal scorer is a decent deal. 

So to avoid a buyout and eat the 1.5+ then it actually saves us 4 more years extra .

Posters on here, like Mac, think that Neal will bounce back. 

I think there are are a few circumstances that hurt him, and if other teams can think that then it can help us.  How many deep playoff runs until last season? Equates to very short summer training. If he was even just slightly injured he would have to wait to heal before training. 

The Flames weren’t a fit. The players played their ways to their positions and Neal, due to the previous comment, wasn’t in shape enough to contend for top line spots. I think he looked like a player defeated in the Stanley Cup Finals at the start of the year. You could see the beating he took in his play. Now with a full summer, can he bounce back?

now the that he couldn’t compete for the top 6, we’ve seen and debated the 3rd line's effectiveness a lot. Janks isn’t really a 3rd liner. Is he an NHLer? Borderline? The chemistry was horrible... 

so can another team see this?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I doubt everyone around the League is writing Neal off like the handful here

16 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I doubt everyone around the League is writing Neal off like the handful here

I agree and it’s why there is talk that other teams can use him. I think the Flames have speed but that starts to dwindle when you place a few slow guys on one line. Other teams might have a better mix of it to allow Neal to do what he does best. But the Flames are relying on him to make his own chances. He can win battles, but not if it’s a line that isn’t in unison.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree and it’s why there is talk that other teams can use him. I think the Flames have speed but that starts to dwindle when you place a few slow guys on one line. Other teams might have a better mix of it to allow Neal to do what he does best. But the Flames are relying on him to make his own chances. He can win battles, but not if it’s a line that isn’t in unison.

Let me be clear.  I am not in favor of trading him for no value.

And I would not retain anything in a deal.

He can rebound.

Maybe he will.

If another team will pay decent value for him, then we both win.

Kessel + Jarry solves two problems; secondary scoring and a backup goalie.

It leaves us enough room to deal Brodie for value and Frolik for an upgrade.

And we can sign Tkachuk.

I'm less interested in Turris.  He used to fly, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Jarnkrok is the key part of that deal.