The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Kypreos aid on Tim & Sid that Nashville is interested in Neal. I think that Turris would be an upgrade on Jankowski on the 3rd line. So I can see there being a fit. It also sounds like Nashville really wants to make a big push for Duchene, so clearing out Turris makes sense for them.

Turris is a much better skater than Neal so I can see him being more effective for longer.

The problem is I think Nashville wants to clear salary so Turris for Neal only clears $250K. So I am guessing that Nashville is either hoping Calgary will eat salary or take another contract or that another team offers a better deal.

• Like 1

So here's one and fully expect some blow back with this suggestion.

Vancouver:

T.J. Brodie

Calgary:

Jake Virtanen

2019 40th overall

Friedman said on the latest 31 Thoughts podcast that Vancouver is looking to retool their defense and are on of the busier teams in terms of looking to improve. Brodie helps their defense that isn't overly mobile.

Virtanen is a guy that might need a change of scenery, but he fits what we need, he is big, he has grit, he can skate and shoot. We also get a 2nd round pick in this draft, which we might be able to package with the 26th pick to move up in the draft or just keep it and add another high end piece to cupboards. 

The biggest thing here is we drop some needed cap space. Friedman also stated in his podcast that teams are preparing like the cap in only going to be in the range of $81-82m as opposed to the rumoured $83m. If the players don't use their escalator than the cap won't go to $83m. So cap space is going to be king here.

Virtanen also could fill Frolik's spot and allow for us to trade him for picks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Here's one that made me laugh.

Staples had a column in the EDM Journal and was talking about Oilers kicking the tires on Neal.

Was fine when he said CGY would not want to trade a declining Neal for one that has already fallen (Lucic).

He goes on to suggest that the Oiler might instead trade Russell for Neal, but CGY would need to retain salary?

Bwahahaha. 

I think I would rather take Russell or Sekera than Lucic. 

With Lucic it's not his level of play that I am as worried about, it's his NMC. That NMC could really cause issues during the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Vancouver:

T.J. Brodie

Calgary:

Jake Virtanen

2019 40th overall

Friedman said on the latest 31 Thoughts podcast that Vancouver is looking to retool their defense and are on of the busier teams in terms of looking to improve. Brodie helps their defense that isn't overly mobile.

Virtanen is a guy that might need a change of scenery, but he fits what we need, he is big, he has grit, he can skate and shoot. We also get a 2nd round pick in this draft, which we might be able to package with the 26th pick to move up in the draft or just keep it and add another high end piece to cupboards. 

The biggest thing here is we drop some needed cap space. Friedman also stated in his podcast that teams are preparing like the cap in only going to be in the range of $81-82m as opposed to the rumoured $83m. If the players don't use their escalator than the cap won't go to $83m. So cap space is going to be king here.

i'd rather trade brodie for Debrusk from boston and Lazar and an 87th round draft pick for Virtanen.. Bennett/ Virtanen/DeBrusk would make a heck of a line

12 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

i'd rather trade brodie for Debrusk from boston and Lazar and an 87th round draft pick for Virtanen.. Bennett/ Virtanen/DeBrusk would make a heck of a line

Boston has zero need for Brodie so I don't see a fit there for a trade. 

Lazar holds very little trade value and I actually think he won't be qualified and will become a UFA this offseason.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Vancouver:

T.J. Brodie

Calgary:

Jake Virtanen

2019 40th overall

I would do that deal begrudgingly but only because we would know Brodie well enough to defend him. I would like to see Virtanen with Bennett and Mangiapane.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-wild-canucks-flames-and-oilers/2019/06/08/

This article says the Canucks reportedly offered Virtanen and Tanev for Zucker. Doesn't really fill a need for MIN with Dumba/Spurgeon and Pateryn on the right side. In theory they could trade Tanev right away to a team like TOR or TB. I think if BT offers Bennett and Frolik that may be better for MIN

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I agree and it’s why there is talk that other teams can use him. I think the Flames have speed but that starts to dwindle when you place a few slow guys on one line. Other teams might have a better mix of it to allow Neal to do what he does best. But the Flames are relying on him to make his own chances. He can win battles, but not if it’s a line that isn’t in unison.

I hope Treliving can move him, best for him, best for us.

I'm not interested in Turris either.

There will be other teams interested in Neal, he may be slower but he wins wherever he goes.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:03 PM, JTech780 said:

Vancouver:

T.J. Brodie

Calgary:

Jake Virtanen

2019 40th overall

Id say thats a very heavy overpay.

Id love to have Virtanen , but at the same time , he's another Bennett.. high expectations not yet fulfilled and now its been long enough you wonder what he really is 

TJ should be getting you a first , or at very least a solid offensively contributing forward 

I've noticed , as many have , we tend to seriously devalue our own players 

Take Brodie.. he seriously is the same player he has been for years, a top 4 puck moving dman, hes never been a Defensive rock, but he does what he does best.  He hasn't gotten worse, he has simply just been passed on the depth chart by other players..

hence, trade him for better value ..

but just because he has been passed on our team , other teams have a top 4 spot ready for him 

Stone is a great example , he is the same D-man he was when we acquired him . When we got him he was a solid #4 on this team.. but he has been pushed way down the depth chart to where he is probably at least #7.. he hasn't regressed , hes been surpassed . but we see him as a buyout candidate nobody will want --  in Edmonton for example he would be automatically top 4 and worth every penny of his contract . Even Toronto would fit him .Some team should be more than willing to use him at his current value because he will upgrade their current top 4 

Kulak went to Mtl and earned a regular spot .. did he get suddenly better ?  No . they just didnt have the D pipeline we do .. he was what he was, but here he would still be a 6-7

When you deal from strength , we forget we have the ability to throw out things that other teams will covet .. these players aren't garbage, they just aren't good enough to play for Calgary anymore 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Id love to have Virtanen , but at the same time , he's another Bennett.. high expectations not yet fulfilled and now its been long enough you wonder what he really is 

TJ should be getting you a first , or at very least a solid offensively contributing forward 

Take Brodie.. he seriously is the same player he has been for years, a top 4 puck moving dman, hes never been a Defensive rock, but he does what he does best.  He hasn't gotten worse, he has simply just been passed on the depth chart by other players..

but just because he has been passed on our team , other teams have a top 4 spot ready for him 

Stone is a great example , he is the same D-man he was when we acquired him . When we got him he was a solid #4 on this team.. but he has been pushed way down the depth chart to where he is probably at least #7.. he hasn't regressed , hes been surpassed . but we see him as a buyout candidate nobody will want --  in Edmonton for example he would be automatically top 4 and worth every penny of his contract . Even Toronto would fit him .Some team should be more than willing to use him at his current value because he will upgrade their current top 4 

Kulak went to Mtl and earned a regular spot .. did he get suddenly better ?  No . they just didnt have the D pipeline we do .. he was what he was, but here he would still be a 6-7

When you deal from strength , we forget we have the ability to throw out things that other teams will covet .. these players aren't garbage, they just aren't good enough to play for Calgary anymore 

The way I break it down is that Virtanen still carries value, my guess is his value is around a 2nd rounder. Plus we are getting an early 2nd in the deal. 

If we were able to get a 2st for Brodie it would most likely be in the 20-31 range. So I thought getting a player that can help now and a pick just outside that range would be good.

I am starting to think that there is going to be a bit of a bidding war for Kadri since everyone is looking for top 6 centers. So I think it is going to cost more than just Brodie.

I think Chicago is looking for defense, so maybe they would be willing to move a pick and some prospects.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

My point I’ve made numerous times!  It irks me that more often than not, when talking about trades, Posters often state most trades of our players would require a huge sweetening of the pot; usually three of our players and/or prospects to one of whomever, regardless of skill level.  Can Brodie go this year?  Absolutely!  But I would expect nothing less than a 2nd rounder by himself, if not more for a proven top for D that Shows versatility of playing both sides of the rink.

I am not in favour of going for Virtanen.  Anytime I’ve seen him, he’s shown to be an undisciplined hothead that causes more issues then he solves.  Kadri is the same with far better skill sets, and we don’t need to spend more time killing stupid penalties.  Mangepane can develop into a better version of what Vertanen can offer; grit, and intensity, but with better hands and vision.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, JTech780 said:

https://www.bardown.com/jesse-puljujarvi-speaks-out-on-future-with-oilers-1.1319050

Sure sounds like Puljujarvi really wants out of Edmonton.

I really can't see Edmonton trading him here, but you never know. They need players right now.

I would rather trade Brodie straight for Puljujarvi than Virtanen.  I would even add a 3rd rounder. The ceiling on Puljujarvi is still 1st line RW whereas Virtanen looks like a career 3rd liner.

Puljujarvi has flashed high end talent but just hasn't been able to put it all together.  He's never been given consistent linemates to develop with and has openly complained that he's been benched without explanation.  He sounds very eager to learn how to play in the NHL but has been frustrated with Oilers coaching staff.  No one is teaching him.

We can change that.  We can bring him here, give him consistent linemates.  Give him direction.  He can still be salvaged.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The way I break it down is that Virtanen still carries value, my guess is his value is around a 2nd rounder. Plus we are getting an early 2nd in the deal. 

If we were able to get a 2st for Brodie it would most likely be in the 20-31 range. So I thought getting a player that can help now and a pick just outside that range would be good.

I am starting to think that there is going to be a bit of a bidding war for Kadri since everyone is looking for top 6 centers. So I think it is going to cost more than just Brodie.

I think Chicago is looking for defense, so maybe they would be willing to move a pick and some prospects.

NYR is in need of a decent top 4D.

Fox is set to be in the top 6, which is crazy.

They have a few guys that would make sense in a player-for-player swap:

Kreider - LW, would move Bennett out of #3LW or bump Tkachuk to RW

Buchnevich - top line or 2nd line RW

Vesey - LW, would move Bennett out of #3LW

Namestnikov - LW/RW/C, 2nd line RW

Fast - RW, #3RW

Maybe Brodie doesn't get you one of the first two, but those should be what we target.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would rather trade Brodie straight for Puljujarvi than Virtanen.  I would even add a 3rd rounder. The ceiling on Puljujarvi is still 1st line RW whereas Virtanen looks like a career 3rd liner.

Puljujarvi has flashed high end talent but just hasn't been able to put it all together.  He's never been given consistent linemates to develop with and has openly complained that he's been benched without explanation.  He sounds very eager to learn how to play in the NHL but has been frustrated with Oilers coaching staff.  No one is teaching him.

We can change that.  We can bring him here, give him consistent linemates.  Give him direction.  He can still be salvaged.

This is one of those "will never happen" trades.  It's probably par value, but unless Holland bucks the trend, he won't trade within division.

It would actually give EDM a decent top-pairing D that can move the puck.

Sekera and Larsson are both (at least they were) decent defenders, but are not great.

Klefbom and Nurse both have offensive flair, but Nurse can only score when he plays like a forward.

Klefbom has a wicked shot and scores most of his goals from the circle out.

Puljujarvi is said to be frustrated because he thinks he's better than the role he plays.

The other is that he doesn't think the game at a NHL level, whether in the D or O-zones.

Needs to be coached and supported by other Finns.

Needs to understand that you play a role sometimes in the NHL if you aren't top 5 in scoring on the team.

Bennett gets that.

Hathaway gets that.

Ryan plays any role you throw at him.

It would be interesting to see a line of Mangiapane-Ryan-Puljujarvi.

Decent speed.

Snipers on both wings.

The worst case scenario is we end up with another under-performer and he has zero hockey sense.

Still an asset.

Brodie is not going to help EDM against CGY, but he might win them some games with his puck moving.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree that many just want certain players out of the way or just gone. I agree with a lot of what you are saying here with respect to making a good value trade.

I think the best use of Brodie would be to TOR for Kapanen RW if they have interest in Brodie. He is a top 4 defenseman that can play both sides which they could use right now. Plus if it doesn't work with Brodie and an extension he only has 1 year remaining. This also allows them to trade Zaitsev who doesn't want to be there.

Trade Stone and Czarnik to VAN for Virtanen and a 2nd.
Trade Frolik for picks

REVISED Trade Neal and Gilles to NJ for picks

ADD UFAs Dzingel C/LW for 2nd line C, Mrazek G at 4.5M, Connolly RW at 3.5M if we could get him.

1 minute ago, GM_3300 said:

I agree that many just want certain players out of the way or just gone. I agree with a lot of what you are saying here with respect to making a good value trade.

I think the best use of Brodie would be to TOR for Kapanen RW if they have interest in Brodie. He is a top 4 defenseman that can play both sides which they could use right now. Plus if it doesn't work with Brodie and an extension he only has 1 year remaining. This also allows them to trade Zaitsev who doesn't want to be there.

Trade Stone and Czarnik to VAN for Virtanen and a 2nd.
Trade Frolik for picks

Trade Neal and Gilles to NJ for Schneider G

You were on the right track until you hit the last one.

How long did Schneider go without a NHL win?

He went from December 29/17 to February 15/19 winless.

3 years left at $6m.

No thanks.

We have trouble with goalies that had a winning record, let alone ones with losing records.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This is one of those "will never happen" trades.  It's probably par value, but unless Holland bucks the trend, he won't trade within division.

It would actually give EDM a decent top-pairing D that can move the puck.

Sekera and Larsson are both (at least they were) decent defenders, but are not great.

Klefbom and Nurse both have offensive flair, but Nurse can only score when he plays like a forward.

Klefbom has a wicked shot and scores most of his goals from the circle out.

Puljujarvi is said to be frustrated because he thinks he's better than the role he plays.

The other is that he doesn't think the game at a NHL level, whether in the D or O-zones.

Needs to understand that you play a role sometimes in the NHL if you aren't top 5 in scoring on the team.

Bennett gets that.

Hathaway gets that.

It would be interesting to see a line of Mangiapane-Ryan-Puljujarvi.

Decent speed.

Snipers on both wings.

The worst case scenario is we end up with another under-performer and he has zero hockey sense.

Still an asset.

Brodie is not going to help EDM against CGY, but he might win them some games with his puck moving.

Ever since the Sven Baertschi trade to Vancouver, i think we've become a league where GMs just want the best value back in a trade regardless of team.  Trades are not common within a division in general but it's not a great idea for a GM to cut off 1/4 of the league from doing business with them.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You were on the right track until you hit the last one.

How long did Schneider go without a NHL win?

He went from December 29/17 to February 15/19 winless.

3 years left at $6m.

No thanks.

We have trouble with goalies that had a winning record, let alone ones with losing records.

Supposed bad contract for bad contract, both possible bounce back candidates. Schneider could really use a change and we now have Rittich who has convinced us he can play at the NHL level. Maybe Treliving gets some cash out of NJ.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett gets that.

Hathaway gets that.

It doesn't appear Puljujarvi is not understanding his role but rather, he's not been given one.  It appears he's been left on an island by himself... albeit, somewhat rightfully so because the NHL is a "Win League" not a "Development League".  Still, he's saying he's been benched without explanation and without anyone tell him how to improve next time.  He's basically saying, "give me a role.  Tell me my role."

He's been mis-managed (like all Oilers prospects).

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It doesn't appear Puljujarvi is not understanding his role but rather, he's not been given one.  It appears he's been left on an island by himself... albeit, somewhat rightfully so because the NHL is a "Win League" not a "Development League".  Still, he's saying he's been benched without explanation and without anyone tell him how to improve next time.  He's basically saying, "give me a role.  Tell me my role."

He's been mis-managed (like all Oilers prospects).

I think the failure started with the GM.

Coach TM didn't want him there to learn as he went on.

He was moved around to suit other players that were doing something.

He should have been sent down and kept there.

He was sent down, then called up right away.

The complaint I have heard about him is that he doesn't know where to be.  He's often in the wrong spot and takes penalties because of it or misses rebounds/passes.  On that team, he is going to have a tough time.  Lack of skill past the top 3 players.    

EDIT - On a side note, it would be an epic trade.  Trade a former top 3 player to a division rival.  Trade a forward to CGY.  

These are the teams that have (Cap Space) that could trade (PICS) for players/contracts.

NYR

CHI

BUF

MIN

NJD

OTT

25 teams will be courting these 6 teams. 3 of them are price conscious teams BUF,OTT,NJD that would like to stay just above the cap floor.

So not really sure I see the Flames opening up cap space to bring in an effective player. Are the Flames players that we consider trade-able any way comparable to what 24 other teams can offer or NEED to offer to be cap compliant?

I see small tweaks in next years line up but I think BT has his hands tied and will need to be extremely creative to make an improvement.

That said in BT I trust.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The complaint I have heard about him is that he doesn't know where to be.  He's often in the wrong spot and takes penalties because of it or misses rebounds/passes.  On that team, he is going to have a tough time.  Lack of skill past the top 3 players.    

EDIT - On a side note, it would be an epic trade.  Trade a former top 3 player to a division rival.  Trade a forward to CGY.  

and don't think they wont at least be talking , just a question of how much.   That 3 way trade that almost went down on the draft floor, from the Flames perspective was to move up to 3 to get Puljujarvi ..would have sent Backlund to Edm. so we were definitely extremely high on him . Just a question  now of are they still 

Safe to say now though that Backlund will no longer be part of it 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

and don't think they wont at least be talking , just a question of how much.   That 3 way trade that almost went down on the draft floor, from the Flames perspective was to move up to 3 to get Puljujarvi ..would have sent Backlund to Edm. so we were definitely extremely high on him . Just a question  now of are they still 

Safe to say now though that Backlund will no longer be part of it 

Yeah, it's funny how that one went down.

BT said after the draft that he wanted to move up to ensure he got Tkachuk.

I read where what you said was on the table as welll.

The truth lies between the two.

I am mystified why Puljujarvi hasn't been able to score more in EDM.

He should be regardless of who he plays with.

He has a decent shot, decent speed, is gritty (or can be), and is a big body.

It might just be that he doesn't fit with the type of game EDM plays.

If you don't play with McDavid, then you better stop every line you play against.

They have no 3rd or 4th line of any value.

Even the 2nd line is just Nuge and whomever unless they move him up with the top 2 players..

I would be comfortable with moving Brodie for Puljujarvi because it would not help them become a much better team.

It would improve them, but only because they don't have a great top 4D.

But it would make them a little iffy on the defensive side at times.

It wouldn't hurt us that much because we have decent depth and Ras could take the majority of Brodie's minutes without impact.

22 minutes of Brodie or 18 minutes of Ras and 4 minutes given to Hamonic.

22 minutes of Brodie was too much. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We jerked Sam Bennett around too and we're lucky Bennett still managed to become something.  Bennett played anywhere from 3rd line C, to 2nd line LW, to Centering Johnny, to RW on top line, etc.  He was never given a consistent role.

When watching Puljujarvi, i see a young Finnish Olli Jokinen.  Same level of talent that didn't manage to come into his own until his 5th full season in the NHL.  During those early years, he flashed elite talent but never put it together consistently.