The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, it's funny how that one went down.

BT said after the draft that he wanted to move up to ensure he got Tkachuk.

I read where what you said was on the table as welll.

The truth lies between the two.

I remember the post you're referring to,  I was sayin that by making that deal we'd have not chosen Tkachuk , so effectively trading Backlund and Tkachuk for him 

That is very possible too, because the main push i believe was to leapfrog Vancouver and there was a heavy feeling they were eyeballing Tkachuk.. so who our target really was is definitely just speculation .. just remember it was finding out CLB was taking Dubois that cratered it 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I remember the post you're referring to,  I was sayin that by making that deal we'd have not chosen Tkachuk , so effectively trading Backlund and Tkachuk for him 

That is very possible too, because the main push i believe was to leapfrog Vancouver and there was a heavy feeling they were eyeballing Tkachuk.. so who our target really was is definitely just speculation .. just remember it was finding out CLB was taking Dubois that cratered it 

Based on everything i've heard and read about that trade that didn't happen, BT wanted to move up to ensure he got Tkachuk because who knew Vancouver had their sights set on Joulevi.  In the end, the Flames got their guy.

And based on what i've read, had the Canucks taken Tkachuk, the Flames were going to draft Clayton Keller.

Also, the Oilers stopped talking to BT earlier than they stopped talking to Montreal who wanted to trade into 4th to get Dubios.  Rumour was Montreal offered PK Subban straight up.  Montreal ended up trading Subban shortly after so i believe the rumour is true and they wanted to pull the trigger on draft day.

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

NYR is in need of a decent top 4D.

Fox is set to be in the top 6, which is crazy.

They have a few guys that would make sense in a player-for-player swap:

Kreider - LW, would move Bennett out of #3LW or bump Tkachuk to RW

Buchnevich - top line or 2nd line RW

Vesey - LW, would move Bennett out of #3LW

Namestnikov - LW/RW/C, 2nd line RW

Fast - RW, #3RW

Maybe Brodie doesn't get you one of the first two, but those should be what we target.

Hey, I know it's Eklund, but here's what he's saying (why would he make this up as it's not a typical trading partner):

I am hearing the Rangers and Flames are deep in discussions on a blockbuster that would send Kreider to the FLames for TBD....

Blockbuster?  Assume that it somehow includes Brodie, but it could also be Bennett and/or Janko as part of a bigger deal.

There's two players I would be interested in, which are listed above.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, I know it's Eklund, but here's what he's saying (why would he make this up as it's not a typical trading partner):

I am hearing the Rangers and Flames are deep in discussions on a blockbuster that would send Kreider to the FLames for TBD....

Blockbuster?  Assume that it somehow includes Brodie, but it could also be Bennett and/or Janko as part of a bigger deal.

The prospect of losing Bennett and/or Hathaway (may price himself out) concerns me, spreads the remaining grit a little too thin for my liking.  Granted picking up the likes of Zibanajad, Buchnevich, or Strome could fill in some holes. Maybe throw in Lemieux?

Kreider and Buchnevich for Brodie and Jankowski. 

I would love to get Kreider he played with Gaudreau at the World Championships and I believe they tried both on the RW.

He is big, fast, physical and he scores goals.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It disappoints me that we are linked to players like Kreider and Zucker because it's not that they are bad players, it's that we're targetting players who play the wrong position.

We need G and RW.  I also feel it's critical we upgrade 2nd line C (or bring in a #1 C so Monahan moves to 2nd line C).

Sooooo, let's spend assets to get another LW??  Not happy at all.  Not excited.  Not moving the needle.  

56 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Granted picking up the likes of Zibanajad, Buchnevich, or Strome could fill in some holes. Maybe throw in Lemieux?

Getting Zibanejad would be crazy.  Definitely the 2nd line C we need.  He drives play, scores, passes, good vision, good patience, uses his linemates, and smart.  Also RHS C... he could even outplay Monahan and be our #1 C.  I think Zibanejad is a better Lindholm.

The Rangers need everything but mainly younger players.  Valimaki for Mark Stone was too rich... basically don't want to give up a future top pair D for a RW... but for a Center, it's worth it... 

But i'm hoping Hanifin + 26th pick gets it done.  Hanifin is still young and gives the Rangers an anchor for their future.  If we trade Hanifin, then Valimaki moves up to 2nd pair and Kylington plays full time 3rd pair.  We have the depth to replace Hanifin within.

I don't know about the Rangers deal. I am trying to figure out what it could be and why.

If the player coming to Calgary is Kreider, then you can only assume that the Rangers are going into a full rebuild mode. He gets under 5 mil cap hit for a basically perennial 20+ goal scorer at 28 years old.Basically a reasonably priced forward entering his prime who is an assistant captain. I'm not sure I would see Brodie with only 1 more season on his contract, at 1 year older than Kreider at the same price being the piece going the other way. He is not a focal point for a team, They already have Shattenkirk as their primary RD with Fox being the up and coming RD. 

I could see a trade to the Rangers involving Brodie who would be their 2nd pair RD, but they would be in a re-tool looking for help now situation, not a re-build. If they are in a re-tool, help now situation, Kreider would not be on the move.

With Lundquist approaching retirement in likely the next few years (he's 37), and the next oldest player being Stall at 32, I have to believe that they are not going into a full rebuild, they are pretty much there already. Their Oldest forward is Belesky at 31 and thy only have 5 players over 30. They are a very young team and are likely looking for players to compliment and help their young guys along. I doubt the Rangers would ever accept a long slow rebuild.

They have the cap space to bring on some bigger contracts. They only need to sign 2 forwards and 1 D with about 19 million so no need to shed salary. Unless there is something happening behind the scenes, I just don't see Zibanejad, Kreider or Strome being traded before the next trade deadline. 

6 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I don't know about the Rangers deal. I am trying to figure out what it could be and why.

If the player coming to Calgary is Kreider, then you can only assume that the Rangers are going into a full rebuild mode. He gets under 5 mil cap hit for a basically perennial 20+ goal scorer at 28 years old.Basically a reasonably priced forward entering his prime who is an assistant captain. I'm not sure I would see Brodie with only 1 more season on his contract, at 1 year older than Kreider at the same price being the piece going the other way. He is not a focal point for a team, They already have Shattenkirk as their primary RD with Fox being the up and coming RD. 

I could see a trade to the Rangers involving Brodie who would be their 2nd pair RD, but they would be in a re-tool looking for help now situation, not a re-build. If they are in a re-tool, help now situation, Kreider would not be on the move.

With Lundquist approaching retirement in likely the next few years (he's 37), and the next oldest player being Stall at 32, I have to believe that they are not going into a full rebuild, they are pretty much there already. Their Oldest forward is Belesky at 31 and thy only have 5 players over 30. They are a very young team and are likely looking for players to compliment and help their young guys along. I doubt the Rangers would ever accept a long slow rebuild.

They have the cap space to bring on some bigger contracts. They only need to sign 2 forwards and 1 D with about 19 million so no need to shed salary. Unless there is something happening behind the scenes, I just don't see Zibanejad, Kreider or Strome being traded before the next trade deadline. 

The rumour on Shattenkirk is that they are looking to move because it hasn't worked there. He isn't anywhere close to who he used to be.

There are also rumours that Panarin wants to go to the Rangers. They have tons of young talent on the way too. Chytil is going to be very good and Lias Andersson has a ton of upside, maybe they are looking to make room for these guys.

How about a trade with NJ? They have tons of cap space moving forward, so maybe something like:

Neal + Czarnik + 2019 1st for Stefan Noesen + 2019 2nd

The drop from our 1st to NJ 2nd is not so huge, NJ gets a useful player in Czarnik and the chance to rehabilitate Neal for more offense.  CGY gets an okay right shot RFA who can play on the 4th line and cap space.  It could help give us the wiggle room to make a bigger signing elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

How about a trade with NJ? They have tons of cap space moving forward, so maybe something like:

Neal + Czarnik + 2019 1st for Stefan Noesen + 2019 2nd

The drop from our 1st to NJ 2nd is not so huge, NJ gets a useful player in Czarnik and the chance to rehabilitate Neal for more offense.  CGY gets an okay right shot RFA who can play on the 4th line and cap space.  It could help give us the wiggle room to make a bigger signing elsewhere.

It might take something like that to move Neal and NJ is definitely worth talking too. The deal I prefer to use that 2019-1st on is Schenn C with STL and only if he signs a new deal with us or it becomes something different. I honestly think 2nd C is a position we need to improve now that Tkachuk has matured 

3 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

It might take something like that to move Neal and NJ is definitely worth talking too. The deal I prefer to use that 2019-1st on is Schenn C with STL and only if he signs a new deal with us or it becomes something different. I honestly think 2nd C is a position we need to improve now that Tkachuk has matured 

I would like to get Schenn I just don't see St. Louis moving him. They are 1 win away from winning the Cup and they can pretty much bring back their entire roster next season.

If we want Schenn we would have to offer them something that would help them more than Schenn would next season.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Kreider and Buchnevich for Brodie and Jankowski. 

I would love to get Kreider he played with Gaudreau at the World Championships and I believe they tried both on the RW.

He is big, fast, physical and he scores goals.

If that is the asking price, then so be it; no brainer.

It's probably closer to Bennett + Brodie, which also would make sense for us.

Buchnevich plays both sides, and would be a replacement/upgrade for Frolik.

Could also play on top line.  

Allows us to use Lindholm elsewhere.

Kreider would be an upgrade to Bennett, by a long shot.

Replaces some of the grit but better on the score sheet.

Cap wise, it makes more sense to trade out Bennett than Janko.

Skill wise, is another story.

If we were to move some of the pieces around, we might be okay.

JH-Monahan-Kreider

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Buchnevich

Janko-Backlund-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Dube

If they want Janko, then substitute Bennett with Janko.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would like to get Schenn I just don't see St. Louis moving him. They are 1 win away from winning the Cup and they can pretty much bring back their entire roster next season.

If we want Schenn we would have to offer them something that would help them more than Schenn would next season.

Yeah, I don't seeing Schenn being on the move now.

He's as tough as Bennett, a RHS C, and can score.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

They have a lot of Cs on that team and he is entering his last contract year so unless they plan to extend him I could see them moving him. Another C would be Kadri but my 2nd choice.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I doubt the Rangers would ever accept a long slow rebuild.

Agreed.  That said, they find themselves in year 1 of a rebuild.  They sold off some key pieces at the TDL already.  I suspect they will go young this season and save the bullets to make a big splash next summer.  2020/21 is when they will push hard to make the playoffs.  A guy like Kreider is going to he "old-ish" in 2-years.

Trading Zibanejad is surely a no-go unless they get back an even younger kid... thus I propose Hanifin.  But the Rangers probably don't move Zibanejad at any cost.  Too good and too good a contract.  Plus, he has a NMC.  Still though, that's the guy the Flames should target.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It disappoints me that we are linked to players like Kreider and Zucker because it's not that they are bad players, it's that we're targetting players who play the wrong position.

We need G and RW.  I also feel it's critical we upgrade 2nd line C (or bring in a #1 C so Monahan moves to 2nd line C).

Sooooo, let's spend assets to get another LW??  Not happy at all.  Not excited.  Not moving the needle.  

Agreed.

My top two targets would be 2nd line C Couturier and RW Reilly Smith. Both are on really good contracts so both are highly unlikely to be moved.

But in general I'd say the names we are being linked with and some of the names being mentioned on the forums are just not aiming high enough for my liking. I get there are cap restraints etc. But I'd still rather aim higher. 

28 minutes ago, Ward54 said:

Agreed.

My top two targets would be 2nd line C Couturier and RW Reilly Smith. Both are on really good contracts so both are highly unlikely to be moved.

But in general I'd say the names we are being linked with and some of the names being mentioned on the forums are just not aiming high enough for my liking. I get there are cap restraints etc. But I'd still rather aim higher. 

Ya man, not that Kessel or Malkin are good fits for our team but I want to at least hear we are rumored.  It shows we are targeting that type of player/position.

If you look at the track record of free agent signings, it's not great.

I'm not saying we can't do it, but I would be completely ok with signing nobody significant.   They are typically overpriced.

I'd love to see us get some more draft picks through some trades, and it doesn't matter the round as long as it's for the right price.  Obviously first rounders are the way to go.   I'd also just love to scoop up a ton of sixth round picks, and gamble on high risk players who have the skill, but are unlikely to do an NHL contract or don't have the typical size, or might be overage.           

One of them will turn out.   We don't know which one.   But you can pretty much cover them all with about 4-5 6th round picks.    Which cost next to nothing.

Every year I dream of creative moves.     Rather than the typical dogfight to see who cats to blow their cap space on an aging player.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-news-notes-flyers-first-round-pick-oilers-capitals/

Again, more rumours the Flyers are looking to deal the 11th pick.   Plus, they talking about adding defensemen depth.  Is this where the Flames can trade up with Brodie + 26th (and then the Flyers can still draft a Dman to add to their D depth).

At number 11, somebody will fall to us. After the top two … I think from three to 15 there will be a lot of the same names but teams will have them ordered differently and I think that bodes well for us.

This draft is a little unique… especially the top 15, I think there are a number of different types of players, which is interesting… The way we look at it, we will take the best player at 11. I think as we go in the draft, we have some young defensemen that are in the NHL right now, and a couple coming, but we probably like to add defensemen depth to our organization going forward, whether it’s at 11 or the second or third round, we will see.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I couldn't agree with you more Leif!!!

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-news-notes-flyers-first-round-pick-oilers-capitals/

Again, more rumours the Flyers are looking to deal the 11th pick.   Plus, they talking about adding defensemen depth.  Is this where the Flames can trade up with Brodie + 26th (and then the Flyers can still draft a Dman to add to their D depth).

I would do that! if the Flames did that what do you think the Flames should draft? a defenseman or forward??

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hockey feed has the Flyers looking at the Jets'  Ehlers for the 1st rounder.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flyers-ready-to-give-1st-round-pick-in-blockbuster-trade-with-jets

Not sure how much to put behind this story.  Or website for that matter.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Hockey feed has the Flyers looking at the Jets'  Ehlers for the 1st rounder.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flyers-ready-to-give-1st-round-pick-in-blockbuster-trade-with-jets

Not sure how much to put behind this story.  Or website for that matter.

It makes sense. 11th overall pick is highly valuable. Flyers will only move it for immediate help with significant term 

2 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I would do that! if the Flames did that what do you think the Flames should draft? a defenseman or forward??

best player/non goalie available,, Character player.. smart hockey mind/ grade A skater..offensive ability to score or assist