The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wish Fletcher values Brodie as much as you do.

But in any event, I hope Philly trades Gostisbehere.  That could really get things rolling.

I won't miss him if he's traded, but that as a fan.

Frustrating to watch him, even if he averages 35 points a season.

As far as Gio goes, I would trade him for Burns today.

James Mirtle was on the fan today and mentioned that Florida might look to buyout Reimer or trade him.

I wonder if they would trade him at 50% retained for a low pick.

Reimer at $1.7m to be a 1B would be an alright option and might be better and cheaper than any goalie that will be available to us in UFA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

James Mirtle was on the fan today and mentioned that Florida might look to buyout Reimer or trade him.

Reimer at $1.7m to be a 1B would be an alright option and might be better and cheaper than any goalie that will be available to us in UFA.

This summer will be an interesting time.

First buyout window opens soon.

If they are taking a run at Bob and or Panarin or Duchenne, they will want to restructure their payroll.

What I don't like is this sounds again like another stopgap.

Another Hiller.

Another Elliott.

Maybe that's all we can get, but it sounds like scrapiing the bottom of the barrel.

If we go that route, assuming he isn;t bought out, then it would have to be very little going the other way.

B prospect or 2020 3rd.

Would have to be able to bury him if it didn;t work out.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think he would be a good option with Rittich if we cannot nail a more premier UFA.

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I won't miss him if he's traded, but that as a fan.

Frustrating to watch him, even if he averages 35 points a season.

As far as Gio goes, I would trade him for Burns today.

I would trade Giordano because it's the best time to sell high.

Honestly, hate Brodie or not, he helped Giordano get back to Norris level.  Giordano - Andersson may not work as well for a full season, at least, not for Giordano.  Giordano's game will be affected one way or another.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Honestly, hate Brodie or not, he helped Giordano get back to Norris level.  Giordano - Andersson may not work as well for a full season, at least, not for Giordano.  Giordano's game will be affected one way or another.

So then, that points to his value being higher doesn't it?

My desire to trade Brodie is rooted in his refusal to take the body and refusal to shoot.

Frustrating to watch because he could be a Norris level player if he fixed those two things.

Norris, as in scoring >50 points.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So then, that points to his value being higher doesn't it?

My desire to trade Brodie is rooted in his refusal to take the body and refusal to shoot.

Frustrating to watch because he could be a Norris level player if he fixed those two things.

Norris, as in scoring >50 points.

They certainly elevate each other's game.

In comparison, Brodie and Hamonic dragged each other down.  Maybe you can argue Monahan would only be a 60-point guy if he didn't play with Gaudreau and had to carry a line all by himself... and Gaudreau wouldn't have all his assists.  In the end, what i'm saying is Brodie is a second pairing guy with niche skills that some teams desperately need so there's value there.  It's just not first round pick value.

Brodie is not even close to Norris level.

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

In comparison, Brodie and Hamonic dragged each other down.  Maybe you can argue Monahan would only be a 60-point guy if he didn't play with Gaudreau and had to carry a line all by himself... and Gaudreau wouldn't have all his assists.  In the end, what i'm saying is Brodie is a second pairing guy with niche skills that some teams desperately need so there's value there.  It's just not first round pick value.

I actually think Monahan would only be a 50-55 point guy without Gaudreau. But that’s just me. He’d get 20-25 goals, but we won’t ever find out. 

He had had a good rookie season with Hudler, but Hudler was much like Gaudreau. He created space and scoring opportunities for Monahan. 

Monahan will get 30 goals no matter who he plays with.

The assists depend on if he plays with a guy who can pot 20.

Brodie is 1/2 of a "potential" Norris pairing.

If he fixed the issues, he would look as good as Karlsson.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think Monahan would only be a 50-55 point guy without Gaudreau. But that’s just me. He’d get 20-25 goals, but we won’t ever find out. 

He had had a good rookie season with Hudler, but Hudler was much like Gaudreau. He created space and scoring opportunities for Monahan. 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan will get 30 goals no matter who he plays with.

The assists depend on if he plays with a guy who can pot 20.

Monahan doesn't create any chances for himself, that's for sure.  He's got an elite shot so, probably a 30-goal and 20-assist guy without Gaudreau.

Monahan doesn't create any chances for himself, that's for sure.  He's got an elite shot so, probably a 30-goal and 20-assist guy without Gaudreau.

Yeah, I was adding it up.

Two 20g playing with him, which is possible, plus PPP.

No reason why he couldn;t be 30/30 or 25/35 or higher.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

LOL LOL LOL

On 6/13/2019 at 9:37 AM, JTech780 said:

I really like Reimer as an option. Seems to have fallen out of favour in Florida with Montembeault being preferred for 11 games late in the season. Maybe slightly overpaid at 3.4m for 2 more years but good news that they may be willing to retain some and shouldn't cost a lot in trade. At 31 and with 9 seasons in the league he could provide that veteran influence that Rittich seemed to like with Smith. 

In 36 games this season he posted a 3.09 and .900 both down on his career 2.81 and .913

I think he is exactly what we are looking for as a 1b / backup if we are willing to run with Rittich as our guy which I think we should. 

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Looks like you can cross Philadelphia off the list of destinations for Brodie.

I would like to see Treliving trade Brodie and our 2019 1st to TOR for Kapanen RW and a 2nd for 2019 and a 2nd for 2020. TOR has no 1st round pick and are struggling whether to keep Marleau or trade Kapanen. Marleau has more reasons to so No to move than say Yes. They need a diversified defenseman such as Brodie, their RSD is almost non-existent especially if they trade Zaitsev and McDermott will not be available for the start of the season. Oh yeah and they likely don't bring Gardiner back. Maybe we take Zatsev in any deal instead of the picks. Good deal for both side.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Looks like you can cross Philadelphia off the list of destinations for Brodie.

Brodie can play LD so there's still a chance after the Flyers move Gostisbehere.  

Should we target Ferland via UFA?  

Or a better question is, what are we willing to pay at max for Ferland?  $3-mil-per for 2-years?  I've heard Ferland wants $4.5-mil with "term."  

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Should we target Ferland via UFA?  

Or a better question is, what are we willing to pay at max for Ferland?  $3-mil-per for 2-years?  I've heard Ferland wants $4.5-mil with "term."  

I like Ferland but he is too injury prone and I don't think the Flames will be able to afford him

Any interest in Gostisbehere?  He's coming off a down year, but was great just two seasons ago.  Signed for 4 more seasons at a reasonable $4.5 per.  Philly is likely looking for offensive help, so not sure what we could offer.  Maybe Bennett + Brodie + draft pick?

Apparently Eberle signed 5 year 5.5 per extension with NYI.

Connor Ingram, a 22 year old goalie prospect with better numbers than any of our current prospects just got traded for a 7th round pick in 2021. This means that AT BEST our goalie prospects are likely to only bring back a 7th round pick if we were to trade them. 

Sadly it is looking like most teams are not offering much for prospect goalies, even those who tied for the AHL lead in shutouts even with splitting time in the ECHL and AHL last season.

I am going to make a suggestion that might sound a little crazy, but it might make sense for both teams.

Nashville is fairly tight to the cap with only about 7 mil in space and they need to add 2 forwards and drop 1 D. Sissons is the only player they really need to re-sign this season while next season becomes a lot more complex. The way I am trying to do this is fill / open roster spots for each team while making the cap and talent still work. Flames have 13 mi cap space to add 2 forwards drop a D and add a G. They need to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich amongst others. Basically Nashville needs to shed salary and gain cost certainty over term without leaving holes.

By making other trades the Flames can clear up other cap space so I am going to use up some of the current available space for the Flames to act as a sweetener for the Preds.

To Nashville

Brodie $4.65 x 1 

Backlund $5.35 x 5

Total = 10 mil

To Calgary

Subban 9 mil x 3

Smith 4.25 x 1

Total 13.25 mil

Difference of 3.25 mil each way.

The Preds shed some salary while the trade involves D and 2-way C for D and 2-way C. The big difference is the term for Backlund on a reasonable contract compared to needing to negotiate with Smith next season and they will likely be able to re-sign Brodie for less the 9 million hit Subban gets.

Flames can take on the extra cap hit, get a more physical RD who shoots right and puts up good offence, and Smith adds a little more size over Backlund and likely a little more offense as well. Stone and Frolik will be off the books after next season for sure, so re-signing Smith should be fine, along with Hamonic, Kylington and Andersson, (Maybe Jankowski and Czarnik).

Flames may actually need to add, but it likely isn't much as the Cap hit on Subban makes up for a lot.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Apparently Eberle signed 5 year 5.5 per extension with NYI.

Connor Ingram, a 22 year old goalie prospect with better numbers than any of our current prospects just got traded for a 7th round pick in 2021. This means that AT BEST our goalie prospects are likely to only bring back a 7th round pick if we were to trade them. 

Sadly it is looking like most teams are not offering much for prospect goalies, even those who tied for the AHL lead in shutouts even with splitting time in the ECHL and AHL last season.

I am going to make a suggestion that might sound a little crazy, but it might make sense for both teams.

Nashville is fairly tight to the cap with only about 7 mil in space and they need to add 2 forwards and drop 1 D. Sissons is the only player they really need to re-sign this season while next season becomes a lot more complex. The way I am trying to do this is fill / open roster spots for each team while making the cap and talent still work. Flames have 13 mi cap space to add 2 forwards drop a D and add a G. They need to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich amongst others. Basically Nashville needs to shed salary and gain cost certainty over term without leaving holes.

By making other trades the Flames can clear up other cap space so I am going to use up some of the current available space for the Flames to act as a sweetener for the Preds.

To Nashville

Brodie $4.65 x 1 

Backlund $5.35 x 5

Total = 10 mil

To Calgary

Subban 9 mil x 3

Smith 4.25 x 1

Total 13.25 mil

Difference of 3.25 mil each way.

The Preds shed some salary while the trade involves D and 2-way C for D and 2-way C. The big difference is the term for Backlund on a reasonable contract compared to needing to negotiate with Smith next season and they will likely be able to re-sign Brodie for less the 9 million hit Subban gets.

Flames can take on the extra cap hit, get a more physical RD who shoots right and puts up good offence, and Smith adds a little more size over Backlund and likely a little more offense as well. Stone and Frolik will be off the books after next season for sure, so re-signing Smith should be fine, along with Hamonic, Kylington and Andersson, (Maybe Jankowski and Czarnik).

Flames may actually need to add, but it likely isn't much as the Cap hit on Subban makes up for a lot.

seriously?? Subban?? Are you on crack??? may as well be Phaneuf.. And NO.. don't want to ever see Phaneuf here again.. But.. would love if some idiot G.M. signed  both Phaneuf and Subban for the same team... I'd piss myself laughing.. Those two players deserve each other

40 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

seriously?? Subban?? Are you on crack??? may as well be Phaneuf.. And NO.. don't want to ever see Phaneuf here again.. But.. would love if some idiot G.M. signed  both Phaneuf and Subban for the same team... I'd piss myself laughing.. Those two players deserve each other

I thought Subban was overpaid the moment that contract was signed. Even now I don’t think players are worth the contracts they get. I feel like they should be players that have playoff success. I am ok with Gaudreau and Monahan but still. The Flames are pretty close to the cap without even being close to being contenders. They’re still about 4 pieces away. And last year they were about 5. We have ok depth but as we saw this year it’s not the kind of depth that wins the cup.

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I thought Subban was overpaid the moment that contract was signed. Even now I don’t think players are worth the contracts they get. I feel like they should be players that have playoff success. I am ok with Gaudreau and Monahan but still. The Flames are pretty close to the cap without even being close to being contenders. They’re still about 4 pieces away. And last year they were about 5. We have ok depth but as we saw this year it’s not the kind of depth that wins the cup.

We have entered contender status I think is fair to say. Could we use some better pieces, absolutely. Let's keep building towards that SC,