The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I actually think Reimer could be a good addition via trade. The UFA goalie market isn't great, you have Bob, Lehner and Varlamov who will sign big deals, then after that it's a bunch of reclamation projects, Talbot, Kinkaid, Ward, Elliott. Mrazek is available too but I think CAR finds a way to keep him.

Reimer played 36 games this year, Talbot 35 and the better numbers belonged to Reimer. Actually, the last 3 seasons Reimer has had a better sv% than Talbot.

Reimer is slightly overpaid at 3.4 with 2 years remaining, but if FLA's pursuit of Bobrovsky turns out to be true they'll need to move Reimer. I wonder if we could trade Stone 3.5x1 for Reimer 3.4x2. Doesn't save any space for the Panthers but eases the logjam between the pipes and they aren't exactly the best blueline in the league. It also saves the Flames from paying Stone for an extra 2 seasons via buyout

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I thought Subban was overpaid the moment that contract was signed. Even now I don’t think players are worth the contracts they get. I feel like they should be players that have playoff success. I am ok with Gaudreau and Monahan but still. The Flames are pretty close to the cap without even being close to being contenders. They’re still about 4 pieces away. And last year they were about 5. We have ok depth but as we saw this year it’s not the kind of depth that wins the cup.

Strangely enough, we were undone more by bad goaltending than any "hole" in the lineup.  We were 2nd in the league in scoring and goal differential.  We sucked n the playoffs.  We didn;t show up.  Doesn;t mean we are that far away from a cup.  The depth was there.  We went with an aging goalie who seemed like he was at the top of his game, yet he let in a ton of goals.  Our captain did nothing.  Our best shutdown line was useless.  

Regaular season we had down years from Frolik, Bennett and Neal, while Janko treaded water.  Brodie was up and down all year.  We had Stone for part of the year.

There should be some confidence that we can come close to the regular season success just by getting a good backup and these other players rebounding a bit or being traded for better players.  They stay the same and no trades there, just having a backup golie will do it.

Peeps is right though, your team needs to be different in the playoffs.  You have to flip a switch.  You are playing one team, and you have to know how to give them different looks when one thing doesn;t work.  Then you play another team.  No one style is going to work to the end.  Score a bunch, defend well, stop every shot, hard forecheck, greasey goals, skilled shooting, dirty plays.....

Commit to getting the best backup you can get.

Either trade Neal or construct a line that works with him there.

Be able to have Tkachuk play on dfferent lines not just a shutdown line.

Construct a good 2nd PP unit.    

Trade Frolik and Brodie for a few players that compliment the team.

This is as much about asset management as improving the team.

Use the pieces you have to change some dynamics.

Playoff growth will happen, but the team has to fix that, not bringing in a bunch of new people.

There seems to be a lot of defensemen available this offseason, Trouba, Subban, Gostisbehere, Zaitsev, Maatta, Miller, Hamilton, Leddy not to mention the UFA's Karlsson, Myers, Edler, Gardiner. With all those names floating around you have to wonder how that is going to effect Brodie's value.

The one thing he has going for him is a low cap hit and short term.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

There seems to be a lot of defensemen available this offseason, Trouba, Subban, Gostisbehere, Zaitsev, Maatta, Miller, Hamilton, Leddy not to mention the UFA's Karlsson, Myers, Edler, Gardiner. With all those names floating around you have to wonder how that is going to effect Brodie's value.

The one thing he has going for him is a low cap hit and short term.

Yes for sure.  Brodie isn't the cream of the crop so a few bigger pieces have to fall first.  Hopefully we move Brodie on the draft floor for something good.

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Scratch Chicago off as a potential trade partner as they landed Maatta from Pit

My money is still on Toronto or NYR

10 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

We have entered contender status I think is fair to say. Could we use some better pieces, absolutely. Let's keep building towards that SC,

we have a team that is built to be very cpmpetitive for an 80 plus regular season.. Not the playoffs.. If treliving only does minor tinkering we will be fine as the current team grows together.. Save the money for trade deadline where you can pick up a few playoff type players

With that Maata trade to Chicago the Flames may only trade Brodie to another team for Cap Space and not necessarily for cap space AND assets like draft picks. I can't wait till the draft though, I have a feeling there will be trades that day for the Flames and I can't wait to see who they draft :D 

• Like 1

Andrew MacDonald bought out by Philly.  I feel if Gostisbehere gets moved then we can trade Brodie to Flyers... Or try to move Brodie to Montreal who is rumoured to be in on Gostisbehere.

If Nashville moves Subban, as it feels like they will, they could be a fit for Brodie.

Taking a glance at the Preds, they have a really good group of D, but they can’t score. Surely a Subban trade is made to address scoring. But that leaves them

with a gaping hole in their top 4. Since they are a team looking to contend next year I doubt they trust a significant top 4 role to rookie Fabbro

A trade that could be worth looking at is Brodie for Craig Smith, both are the same age and have very similar  contracts with one year remaining.

Smith is a consistent 40-50 point player, bit like Frolik although a better goal scorer and better puck skills, not as good defensively though. Before CHI acquired Maatta I was gonna throw out a Brodie for Saad trade. Either way my hope is a return in a Brodie trade is a 40-50 point player 

I love pot stirring..and good for discussion😎

Wondering who would do this if they made it Lucic and Puuljarvi for Neal and something insignificant?

Take the contract out of the equation, and he's a perfect player for the bottom 6. Better defensively, can score just hasnt and can't argue he adds that grit we need without being a liability..  and if JP swings back we win hands down.

I'm not sure I would , I hate the contract, especially having to protect him in the expansion draft .and Neal to me had the better potential to rebound from one bad season and make it look like a huge mistake if he does it for the Oilers first or second line . It would totally take the sweetener from Edmonton to not rip my hair out upon announcement, but I'm not hard No. Could see the argument on both sides for the deal

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Wondering who would do this if they made it Lucic and Puuljarvi for Neal and something insignificant?

Take the contract out of the equation, and he's a perfect player for the bottom 6. Better defensively, can score just hasnt and can't argue he adds that grit we need without being a liability..  and if JP swings back we win hands down.

I'm not sure I would , I hate the contract, especially having to protect him in the expansion draft .and Neal to me had the better potential to rebound from one bad season and make it look like a huge mistake if he does it for the Oilers first or second line . It would totally take the sweetener from Edmonton to not rip my hair out upon announcement, but I'm not hard No. Could see the argument on both sides for the deal

It’s a risky trade because if 97 can get Maroon to flirt with 30, then surely he can do the same for Neal. Like you said it would definitely take a sweetener. How about Samorokov stud D they had playing in the memorial cup? It would also take a “gentleman’s agreement” from Lucic to waive his NMC before I even consider it, not losing a Kylington in order to protect Lucic

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s a risky trade because if 97 can get Maroon to flirt with 30, then surely he can do the same for Neal. Like you said it would definitely take a sweetener. How about Samorokov stud D they had playing in the memorial cup? It would also take a “gentleman’s agreement” from Lucic to waive his NMC before I even consider it, not losing a Kylington in order to protect Lucic

Great point ..and not out of the question since Seattle is next best thing to going home for a Vancouver boy.

That's my kicker tho..I'm not convinced Neal fell off a cliff .. a combination of usage, conditioning and linemates I think all contributed .. that's why id want a potential scoring forward like JP.. we really don't need more immediate D..

I guess what makes me think I wouldn't hate it , is worst case scenario..  if both players never score another goal. And you have to have one of them on your team. Who is still useful? In that regards Lucic wins hands down 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

First, EDM would never do that deal.

They may move Poolie, but not just to get rid of Looch.

Second, there is only a minor chance Looch ever lets his NMC lapse.

He signed it to protect him from being sent to the AHL.

He's not going to give it up going to a team with better depth.

As far as the player goes, he is a liability.

Whatever line he plays on slows to a crawl.

Whatever minutes he plays takes minutes from a good player.

He is a role player that we can't afford to pay $6m in a buyout proof contract.

Let EDM choke on it.

They may not even have to worry about protecting all their stars in the expansion draft.

They have so few.

I would look at Puljujarvi for Janko, if they would like.

He a better C than they have past the 2nd line, since they refuse to use their 3 best centers for depth.

Mostly because they only have 3 good top 6 players.

Janko gives them depth they can use.

I would argue that Subban is a better player than Brodie in most aspects of the game and could actually do very well for the Flames. I agree that his cap hit is outrageous which is why I made the suggestion I did. If you look at stats, and I mean many different stats, you will see that Brodie has scored more than 10 goals once in a season once in his career, Subban 6 times including twice over 15. Brodie has broken 30 assists twice, Subban broke 40 4 times. Subban has a Norris trophy, Brodie does not. Subban Career +35, Brodie career +7, Subban has passed 100 hits 5 times, Brodie passed 50 one time. Both are giveaway machines, both block similar amounts of shots. Subban has been an all star, Not so with Brodie. Subban has only been below 50% cross once and averages around 52.5%, Brodie has been below 50% 3 times and averages 50.5 % (about 2% lower on cross than Subban).

When you add in the stats for Backlund and Smith, Corsi and offensive output are very similar. The biggest difference is that Smith is bigger, hits more and has fewer giveaways and is a RHS. Also, if Subban doesn't do well with the Flames, he can always be left exposed in the expansion draft which would help protect other players. IF he gets taken, great, that is 9 mil cap opened up for free, if not, that is fine too. Someone else would have been taken who was left open (Neal if he is still here maybe). And as I said, the net difference between Subban + Smith and Backlund + Brodie is only about 3 mil. 

Would this be an ideal trade, maybe not. Does it likely improve the Flames and put them in a better position, possibly if both players work out. Does it affect the Flames negatively, maybe with respect to the cap but not on ice. Stats indicate that if anything, the on ice production would improve, and the team would become harder to play against while adding more offence.

I doubt the trade would happen, but it should not be out of the question.

Sharks just signed Karlsson long term at reportedly 11.5 mil per season. That drops their available cap space to 12.5 mil with only 7 forwards signed, meaning they need to get another 6 players for 12.5 mil. Their RFA's include Meier and Labanc, they also have UFA's Pavelski, Thornton, Donskoi and Nyquist. It will be difficult for them to bring back some of these guys due to cap restrictions. Should the Flames go after a trade for Hertl or try to nab Donskoi?

2 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Sharks just signed Karlsson long term at reportedly 11.5 mil per season. That drops their available cap space to 12.5 mil with only 7 forwards signed, meaning they need to get another 6 players for 12.5 mil. Their RFA's include Meier and Labanc, they also have UFA's Pavelski, Thornton, Donskoi and Nyquist. It will be difficult for them to bring back some of these guys due to cap restrictions. Should the Flames go after a trade for Hertl or try to nab Donskoi?

I would consider Nyquist.

Nyquist Backlund Lindholm

Kylington Andersson

Very few would understand what they were saying on the ice. Could also form chemistry off the ice.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Two players that are gamers are Donskoi and Lebanc.

Lebanc played with Magiapane and Ras.

His stock is rising.

Will cost Bennett +.

I would be fine with that.

RHS, plays either wing.

He's a RFA so it would have to be trade and sign.

They can't afford much for him.

Bennett at least gives them a lower cost player to re-sign.

wow .. Winnipeg just got hosed. That was their own pick back so they basically traded Trouba for a prospect and a 2 month rental of Hayes

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

wow .. Winnipeg just got hosed. That was their own pick back so they basically traded Trouba for a prospect and a 2 month rental of Hayes

Trouba was not going to re-sign. I think most teams knew that  so they got a 2nd pair (Meyers is questionable to be back) RHS dman and a 20 overall. Could have been alot worse.

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Trouba was not going to re-sign. I think most teams knew that  so they got a 2nd pair (Meyers is questionable to be back) RHS dman and a 20 overall. Could have been alot worse.

He was an RFA under team control.. even an offer sheet would have netted them the teams own 1st , and a 2nd(hed have likely been in that range) .. Winnipeg held the power here 

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Considering the original ask, fans here were suggesting it would cost a ton, regardless of whether he was going to re-sign or not.

Fox netted a low 2nd (Ranger's pick in 2019) and a conditional 3rd.

Not much of a drop off considering the big difference in skill and experience.

At the very least, the return should have been a 1st and two 2nds.

If this is the market, we might get a used jockstrap and a D-man that can't skate backwards for Brodie.

Chevy is usually so smart, but he's losing it.

Maybe Ehlers is on the block for a guy like Bennett.

Or they can have Brodie for Ehlers.

Do you think Ehlers will be traded?  Not sure what they need to do to re-sign Connors and Laine.

The market is crazy.

Laine 9m?  Connors 8.5m?   

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Considering the original ask, fans here were suggesting it would cost a ton, regardless of whether he was going to re-sign or not.

Fox netted a low 2nd (Ranger's pick in 2019) and a conditional 3rd.

Not much of a drop off considering the big difference in skill and experience.

At the very least, the return should have been a 1st and two 2nds.

If this is the market, we might get a used jockstrap and a D-man that can't skate backwards for Brodie.

Chevy is usually so smart, but he's losing it.

Maybe Ehlers is on the block for a guy like Bennett.

Or they can have Brodie for Ehlers.

Do you think Ehlers will be traded?  Not sure what they need to do to re-sign Connors and Laine.

The market is crazy.

Laine 9m?  Connors 8.5m?   

I don't think you're going to see the likes of Meyers, Chiarot, Beauleau (they'll keep Morrow), Lindholm, Hendricks, and Tanev (would be a good pick up) as Jets next season. That will free up some $$ as they also have to worry about signing Roslovic, Niku and Morrisey next year. If you could only sign one I think Connor would win out with alot of fans. The Jets have a couple team friendly contracts with Schiefle and Ehlers, I think Connor would follow suit before Laine. I would guess Connor for 6 - 6.5 and Laine will ask for 8, whether he gets it or not who knows. If anyone has a chance to get Ehlers for 6x6 they would be crazy not to grab and run but it's a good value contract so he wont be going anywhere unless it's a very generous offer.

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

This makes Brodie + 26th to move up to Flyer's 11th seem impossible... I mean, considering Brodie is a second pairing RD.  Only thing Brodie has going for him is a good cap hit for 1-year.

5 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

One last question.

Hayes was traded to the Jets for Lemieux a 1st (20th  overall) and a conditional 4th that was not met.

Trouba goes to NY for Pionk and the same 1st rounder they dealt for Hayes,

Hayes was traded to Philly for a 5th.

Touba and Lemieuz for a 5th, Pionk and Hayes from the deadline to playoffs.

That's Chia level dealing.

Some NHL teams have said they offered much better.

Questionable.

Then again, we heard the same thing after Jbow and Phaneuf were traded.