The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I think that’s an overpayment.  Aho is probably better than Mony, but not a 1st plus Dube.  Mony is also on a solid value contract, so there’s that too.  Honestly, Mony + Jankowski and a lower draft pick is closer value.

Aho is just that much better than Monahan. Aho is elite. Aho had 30 goals and 83 points this year as a 21 year old and he didn't have Gaudreau feeding him the puck. Aho is also very good in his own end of the ice. 

further to the tweet JTech shared

Maybe you can do Frolik for Allen. Doesn’t clear cap but gives us a solid goalie under contract for 2 years. Allen doesn’t make sense for STL anymore as Binnington will cost between 5 and 6 mill. That would give them over 10 tied up in goalies 

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe you can do Frolik for Allen. Doesn’t clear cap but gives us a solid goalie under contract for 2 years. Allen doesn’t make sense for STL anymore as Binnington will cost between 5 and 6 mill. That would give them over 10 tied up in goalies 

I would not call Allen solid.

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

How about for Frolik though?

There's talk the Oilers should let Puljujarvi play/develop in Europe as he has the potential to perform well and up his value.  But if a team can give the Oilers a good 3rd line Forward then that's better for them than no Puljujarvi the whole season.

Personally I think it's a buy-low opportunity on a player who can one day score 30-goals and play a big man's game.  Puljujarvi is very Olli Jokinen in style.

I don’t know peeps. If I were Holland - and he’s smarter than me - I wouldn’t trade a 4th overall player (despite his woes) for Frolik on an expiring contract next season. Doesn’t sound like good asset management to me. 

Re: the Jokinen comment... it’s funny to me because I’ve always thought “pool” looks like a younger Jokinen! Haha there’s a resemblance there. 

36 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

I would not call Allen solid.

He has the tools. Biggest issue will be I don’t think we have the goalie coach to get the most out of him. Think he struggles with the mental game.

33 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I don’t know peeps. If I were Holland - and he’s smarter than me - I wouldn’t trade a 4th overall player (despite his woes) for Frolik on an expiring contract next season. Doesn’t sound like good asset management to me. 

Re: the Jokinen comment... it’s funny to me because I’ve always thought “pool” looks like a younger Jokinen! Haha there’s a resemblance there. 

Jokinen also struggled in his first 5 seasons and many thought he was a bust after getting drafted 3rd overall.  Eventually he got it and the rest was history.

I think the Oilers would take a solid 3rd liner rather than have nothing for Puljujarvi next season.  There is pressure to make the playoffs next season. But fair, Frolik will be UFA so, maybe someone still with at least 2 years remaining.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I dunno about this .  Unless they're steering away from Rittich, theres cheaper cap hits available to use as 1b or backup..  I don't see us having the room . 

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He has the tools. Biggest issue will be I don’t think we have the goalie coach to get the most out of him. Think he struggles with the mental game.

Funny the comments on our Goalie coach to the negative but noting is said as a guy like Rittich does well. Hmmmm

I think Jake Allen should definitely be in the conversation for our goaltending situation.

16 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Funny the comments on our Goalie coach to the negative but noting is said as a guy like Rittich does well. Hmmmm

I think Jake Allen should definitely be in the conversation for our goaltending situation.

Alot is said about Sigalet concerning Rittich, mostly concerns about trying to turn him into Smith.

34 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Alot is said about Sigalet concerning Rittich, mostly concerns about trying to turn him into Smith.

I think all we saw was trying to have Rittich be a better puck handler period. Nobody needs to be as excessive as Smith but any Goaltender should know how to handle the puck.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I dunno about this .  Unless they're steering away from Rittich, theres cheaper cap hits available to use as 1b or backup..  I don't see us having the room . 

All you really want is stability for your net and Allen has experience all over Rittich. If you want a top team you better be prepared to pay at least 6M towards your net cost. Any of Mrazek or Lehner will cost minimum 4.5M

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

Rittich was developed long before he came to CGY.

The impact to him was after he showed up and they wanted to change his game a bit.

He thinks the game well, but was beng prodded to move the puck more.

So he starts trying to mimic Smith's passing.

That was both on JS and Smith.

Allen used to be good, but STL turned into a last place team under him.

He and Elliott were posting similar results before, but Allen never took the next step.

Big risk for a goalie with term and dollars.

Longer and more expensive than Reimer and I don;t want him ether.

Some talk that we are discussing trades with NJ.

Supposedly, a trade between TOR and CGY fell apart last minute.

If true, those are the kind that crop up again.

Especially when they have a contract hammered out with MArner.

The NJ talks could be around Brodie or Frolik.

Brodie for 2nd and good prospect.

With TO, it would have b=to be Kadri for Brodie ++, but could also invle a C like Janko.

1 minute ago, rickross said:

Subban is now a Devil!!

People don't like that return, but Suban is very overrated IMO and 4th best D on the Preds.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

People don't like that return, but Suban is very overrated IMO and 4th best D on the Preds.

A bit surprised myself with the return the Preds got, especially if they’re still retaining 30% of his salary. PK Subban at $6M USA great deal. Looks like the flood gates might be opening up

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

A bit surprised myself with the return the Preds got, especially if they’re still retaining 30% of his salary. PK Subban at $6M USA great deal. Looks like the flood gates might be opening up

There was no salary retained.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Rittich was developed long before he came to CGY.

The impact to him was after he showed up and they wanted to change his game a bit.

He thinks the game well, but was beng prodded to move the puck more.

So he starts trying to mimic Smith's passing.

That was both on JS and Smith.

Allen used to be good, but STL turned into a last place team under him.

He and Elliott were posting similar results before, but Allen never took the next step.

Big risk for a goalie with term and dollars.

Longer and more expensive than Reimer and I don;t want him ether.

Your version thx

Just now, JTech780 said:

There was no salary retained.

Good! That really would have been a lopsided deal for the Preds if they did retain any salary 

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Would have liked to get Miller.

Kudos to Carolina to get Toronto to eat a first.. Dubas had gotta be sweating that Marner contract