The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

How about Beaulieu, Scrivens and a first for Huds, Russel, Ramo? I know it makes us weaker on RW, but I only suggest this trade because I doubt we are resigning Hudler. Beaulieu is an upgrade on Russel imo, and is under contract for less than a million dollars. As for scrivens, I don't actually want him, but if we aren't keeping Ramo then we need someone serviceable until seasons end. 3 ufas for a young d with second pairing potential and a second or first? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Montreal can't afford that deal. I think the most salary the habs can take on is 2-3 millions and that deal has them taking on 7 million.

How about Beaulieu, Scrivens and a first for Huds, Russel, Ramo? I know it makes us weaker on RW, but I only suggest this trade because I doubt we are resigning Hudler. Beaulieu is an upgrade on Russel imo, and is under contract for less than a million dollars. As for scrivens, I don't actually want him, but if we aren't keeping Ramo then we need someone serviceable until seasons end. 3 ufas for a young d with second pairing potential and a second or first? Sounds like a good deal to me.

The 1st rd pick would be nice! Scrivens is not the goalie this team needs right...he couldn't even keep his starting job on the Oilers..but then again what goalie can with such a soft oilers D lol. I see what your trying to do and I'd be all for it, just think there are better trading partners than Montreal right now. It would be great if we stockpiled on multiple 1st and 2nd rounders this TDL. I still think Ramo is one of our better goalie options for the time being. Huds and Russell can still get us some decent returns on the market IMO.

The 1st rd pick would be nice! Scrivens is not the goalie this team needs right...he couldn't even keep his starting job on the Oilers..but then again what goalie can with such a soft oilers D lol. I see what your trying to do and I'd be all for it, just think there are better trading partners than Montreal right now. It would be great if we stockpiled on multiple 1st and 2nd rounders this TDL. I still think Ramo is one of our better goalie options for the time being. Huds and Russell can still get us some decent returns on the market IMO.

While this statement sounds great.........

Who have we got to offer that will get us back a 1st rounder?

Who have we got to offer that will get us a 2nd rounder? Huds maybe.

I don't think we will be stockpiling much of anything for 1st or 2nd round picks unless we ignore the holes in our lineup or create more holes.

While this statement sounds great.........

Who have we got to offer that will get us back a 1st rounder?

Who have we got to offer that will get us a 2nd rounder? Huds maybe.

I don't think we will be stockpiling much of anything for 1st or 2nd round picks unless we ignore the holes in our lineup or create more holes.

Unfortunately without trading away some of our future pieces we would be hard pressed to land 1st and 2nd rd picks by this TDL. I was just saying ideally it would be nice at this point to get some high picks but we just don't carry the assets. It does make u wonder, Oilers did trade David Peron to Pittsburgh surprisingly for a 1st rd return. Perron has never finished top 10 in scoring but Hudler has so you never know! I think it's more likely we end dumping salary and maybe getting some 2nd or 3rd rd picks along the way. I'm not holding my breath this TDL expecting blockbuster trades

To MTL

Bollig and 6th round pick

To CGY

John Scott

Scott has at least as much truculence as Bollig, and I think he has more skill too. Scott is also in the minors so if we don't want to call him up, we get an extra roster spot instead of Bollig. Also is good publicity eh?

To MTL

Bollig and 6th round pick

To CGY

John Scott

Scott has at least as much truculence as Bollig, and I think he has more skill too. Scott is also in the minors so if we don't want to call him up, we get an extra roster spot instead of Bollig. Also is good publicity eh?

To MTL

Bollig

To CGY

John Scott and 6th round pick

That is a bit closer to how that trade should go. We are giving them the player that is the NHL Player so the pick should be coming back to us for their AHLer with no hope of recall.;

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't make sense to trade players just for the sake of trading. We have mad holes to fill on this team, giving away our best RW and top goalie right now as well as Russell for Scrivens and a middling 2nd rounder makes no sense. It would be a step back IMO. I can the idea of targeting teams looking for more scoring or going for a playoff push but these aren't the kind of trades that will help this hockey team now or in the future.

I agree.  First let me say Johnny Gaudreau is one of my favorite Flames & I know what a revolution it would create if he were traded.  He is also the player that would most likely net the biggest return from other teams.  I suggest we should trade to Anaheim: Gaudreau, Widemen, & Hiller for Hampus Lindholm, Jakob Silfverberg & Frederick Andersen.  We could look at Fowler instead of Lindholm if it made the dollars work better. Sam Bennett could be moved up to play left wing on the 1st line.

Johnny is a potential superstar LW that could play with Perry & Getzlaf & because he is the gem of the deal might allow us to dump Widemen's contract ( especially since his suspension games cost them less for this year's payroll & they have plenty of cap space) & Hiller who is a UFA at the end of this season.  In return we could get back 3 really good young players that are big(the too RFA's salaries could be paid with the raise Johnny will get as an RFA)

I know I will likely get ripped for suggesting this, but I think this could help fill the holes on the team & make us heavier & more competitive going forward.

To MTL

Bollig

To CGY

John Scott and 6th round pick

That is a bit closer to how that trade should go. We are giving them the player that is the NHL Player so the pick should be coming back to us for their AHLer with no hope of recall.;

Considering what I think of Bollig's value... that's how I made my suggestion. Getting rid of Bollig for a player that's already in the minors, frees up an NHL roster spot. I would've put a 7th rounder instead but I don't think the Flames have one. If we could do your's, even better.

You all also know I'm guilty of overcompensating because I'm a fan of the Flames and I try not to make homer suggestions.

I agree.  First let me say Johnny Gaudreau is one of my favorite Flames & I know what a revolution it would create if he were traded.  He is also the player that would most likely net the biggest return from other teams.  I suggest we should trade to Anaheim: Gaudreau, Widemen, & Hiller for Hampus Lindholm, Jakob Silfverberg & Frederick Andersen.  We could look at Fowler instead of Lindholm if it made the dollars work better. Sam Bennett could be moved up to play left wing on the 1st line.

Johnny is a potential superstar LW that could play with Perry & Getzlaf & because he is the gem of the deal might allow us to dump Widemen's contract ( especially since his suspension games cost them less for this year's payroll & they have plenty of cap space) & Hiller who is a UFA at the end of this season.  In return we could get back 3 really good young players that are big(the too RFA's salaries could be paid with the raise Johnny will get as an RFA)

I know I will likely get ripped for suggesting this, but I think this could help fill the holes on the team & make us heavier & more competitive going forward.

Trade JH??  You think there would be a revolution?? No but there would be a few Flames Fans and Mgmt.  looking for you...

c12f1548b9b2200be01f48296259dbe4.png

:lol:  :D

• Like 2

I agree. First let me say Johnny Gaudreau is one of my favorite Flames & I know what a revolution it would create if he were traded. He is also the player that would most likely net the biggest return from other teams. I suggest we should trade to Anaheim: Gaudreau, Widemen, & Hiller for Hampus Lindholm, Jakob Silfverberg & Frederick Andersen. We could look at Fowler instead of Lindholm if it made the dollars work better. Sam Bennett could be moved up to play left wing on the 1st line.

Johnny is a potential superstar LW that could play with Perry & Getzlaf & because he is the gem of the deal might allow us to dump Widemen's contract ( especially since his suspension games cost them less for this year's payroll & they have plenty of cap space) & Hiller who is a UFA at the end of this season. In return we could get back 3 really good young players that are big(the too RFA's salaries could be paid with the raise Johnny will get as an RFA)

I like it. Trade away the teams top scorer who's 22 years old and has art ross potential for a bunch of spare parts on a non-playoff team.

Montreal can't afford that deal. I think the most salary the habs can take on is 2-3 millions and that deal has them taking on 7 million.

Not only that, Montreal isn't as deep as they thought prior to Price going down. They need players now but it's also possible they need to continue develop and keep their 1st. If Beaulieu is a sought after commodity, they need him long term. I don't think Montreal can sell the farm at this point.

Man people have short memories!

When we picked up Russell just a couple years ago, it was an absolute steal!

The guy is a workhorse, a true team player, and assistant captain.

Now, he's on everyone's list of guys to deal.

Dealing Russell doesn't make us a better team, it weakens what is right now, a strong D-Core.

Our issues of late haven't been on the back end, it's been up front, we're losing low scoring games.

We need a top Line RW and a second liner as well, but I am very strongly against weakening our D to accomplish that.

Do you know how Jonas was treated in his last year by Ducks management :( ? I can´t see the way he could be traded back... 

Sparky, the Flames will go to ANY lengths to keep Gaudreau in their fold for his whole career, much less just at the start.  His magic, mojo whatever you call it goes way beyond points on the ice.  

I think it is incredibly unlikely, but I think it's remotely possible the Flames move Monahan. Despite his scoring prowess Monahans real value is his defensive game. He is supposed to be our Bergeron, Toews, or Datsyuk. His defensive game has really fallen off this season (in large part due to how Hartley uses him.)

Combine that with a lack of grit, the emergence of Bennett, and the Flames cap situation and I guess it's vaguely possible he is moved.

But I think there is zero chance Gaudreau is moved. He is already a star and will almost certainly be a superstar. There is almost no scenario where we win a trade by moving Gaudreau.

I think it is incredibly unlikely, but I think it's remotely possible the Flames move Monahan. Despite his scoring prowess Monahans real value is his defensive game. He is supposed to be our Bergeron, Toews, or Datsyuk. His defensive game has really fallen off this season (in large part due to how Hartley uses him.)

Combine that with a lack of grit, the emergence of Bennett, and the Flames cap situation and I guess it's vaguely possible he is moved.

But I think there is zero chance Gaudreau is moved. He is already a star and will almost certainly be a superstar. There is almost no scenario where we win a trade by moving Gaudreau.

I don't think you move Monahan however I don't think you pay him 6M either. They may try to sign him as a 2nd line C at just under 5M which I think would be smart. We may see Gaudreau and Bennett together as early as next season.

I think the top line will be Johnny-Bennett-??. That puts Monahan as a 2nd line C, which is appropriate for his game, and would allow him to improve his defensive game.  Surround him with effective players.  Set him up like a Toews.  That moves Backlund down to #3C, which he would be a very good one, but I don't know if we can afford him for that position.  

Man people have short memories!

When we picked up Russell just a couple years ago, it was an absolute steal!

The guy is a workhorse, a true team player, and assistant captain.

Now, he's on everyone's list of guys to deal.

Dealing Russell doesn't make us a better team, it weakens what is right now, a strong D-Core.

Our issues of late haven't been on the back end, it's been up front, we're losing low scoring games.

We need a top Line RW and a second liner as well, but I am very strongly against weakening our D to accomplish that.

We can re-sign Russell in the summer.

We can re-sign Russell in the summer.

Not unless a lot of salary is moved out. 

Pepole need to realize that in a cap world this is about dollars and sense and buisness. I get pepole love Russell's heart but the reality is the Flames cannot afford him. I get Hudler won people over last year but the Flames can't afford him and I also get that people want the Flames to continue to get better but you can only get as good as your cap space allows you to. Right now unless the Flames find a way to lose about 5-6 milion off their cap for next season they cannot re sign Hudler or Russell. 

At present time, Gaudreau alone is worth 5 first round draft picks or equivalent.  If you re-draft 2011, Gaudreau would probably go 1st overall ahead of RNH, Landeskog, Hamilton, and everyone.

Those 3 Ducks players are not going to get a trade done.  Will at least have to be Lindholm, Vatanen, Ritchie, Silfverberg, and Andersen.

In an ideal world we could keep all of our best players & trade our marginal guys for what we need. This is not realistic!  As I said the idea about Johnny is ONLY because we need a top 4 D, a Top 2 RW & goaltending that is good with control of all young players going forward.  We also could use cap space, & this gives us 3 contracts in & 3 contracts out.

I disagree that Lindholm, Andersen, & Silfverberg are spare parts.  Look at their last years play-off numbers, age, size & speed.

I would prefer to keep Wideman over Smid or Engelland but part of my proposed trade is to force them to take money off our books as a toll to get Johnny.  As for Hiller, they would likely trade him, or waive him, it is unlikely they would sign him.

IMO Johnny is the only guy we have that could net us this type of deal.  I would welcome hearing other members ideas on how we can

fix the holes in the line up.  Criticism is easy, solutions are not.

In an ideal scenario any trade involving Hudler, Russell, Jones, Ramo, we get back young, cheap, NHL ready talent as opposed to picks.

That being said in this cap world, young, cheap, NHL ready players are a hot commodities, and teams are pretty unwilling to part with them.

Bringing back players like Hudler and Russell just to fill holes, doesn't cut it in my books. This team barely made the playoffs last and is probably not going to make the playoffs this year, so why would keep going with the same roster if the results aren't there? Throw in the fact that we can't afford to bring them back, and I would be taking the best offer for our UFA's.

In an ideal world we could keep all of our best players & trade our marginal guys for what we need. This is not realistic!  As I said the idea about Johnny is ONLY because we need a top 4 D, a Top 2 RW & goaltending that is good with control of all young players going forward.  We also could use cap space, & this gives us 3 contracts in & 3 contracts out.

I disagree that Lindholm, Andersen, & Silfverberg are spare parts.  Look at their last years play-off numbers, age, size & speed.

I would prefer to keep Wideman over Smid or Engelland but part of my proposed trade is to force them to take money off our books as a toll to get Johnny.  As for Hiller, they would likely trade him, or waive him, it is unlikely they would sign him.

IMO Johnny is the only guy we have that could net us this type of deal.  I would welcome hearing other members ideas on how we can

fix the holes in the line up.  Criticism is easy, solutions are not.

As it stands, if the season ended today, then the Flames would have a prime opportunity to draft either RW Puljujarvi, or Laine.  Our stud goaltending prospect Jon Gillies should be NHL ready in 2 years.  I also believe one of Rasmus Anderson or Oliver Kylington would pan out as a good second pair guy.

All the pieces are there just waiting to graduate into the NHL.  What we don't have though is another Johnny Gaudreau in the system and to lose him now would make it nearly impossible to replace later when the team is ready to challenge for a Cup.

As it stands, if the season ended today, then the Flames would have a prime opportunity to draft either RW Puljujarvi, or Laine.  Our stud goaltending prospect Jon Gillies should be NHL ready in 2 years.  I also believe one of Rasmus Anderson or Oliver Kylington would pan out as a good second pair guy.

All the pieces are there just waiting to graduate into the NHL.  What we don't have though is another Johnny Gaudreau in the system and to lose him now would make it nearly impossible to replace later when the team is ready to challenge for a Cup.

We are pretty flush with D-men.  Kylington, Andersson, and Hickey are possible top 4 candidates.  Kulak and Culkin are possible bottom pair.  Olas-Mattsson is a big unknown, but could easily be a bottom pair shutdown guy.  These are also reasons why extending Russell would be a mistake, IMHO.

We have to look at pieces like Hayes, Rychel, Drouin (attitude aside), Anderson (Goalie).  I think we have the bottom 6 talent to be a good team.