The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Sill just thinking of how best to utilize this data, which I do like,

I think the most appropriate way might be density.     Pounds per square inch of height.   Or some variation thereof.

By that measure I believe we are 6th worst in the league.  Behind Boston, behind most.

What the graph doesn't capture is that our best player is so small they are completely ineffective in the playoffs.

I know people are saying we'll just surround him with Lucics but I...don't have a great feeling about that approach.  I think it is what it is.    We could bring up a bunch of 6'5 250 pound players from the AHL right now, and be over there with St. Louis.  But our best player would still be entirely ineffective in the playoffs.

You are dead on with the best player issue, that's why I'd like to see Bennett as 1RW long enough to make it stick or for Bennett to prove he can't do the job.  20-30 games maybe?  Bennett has the speed, toughness and WILL be a deterrent which in the long run should enhance Gaudreau's effectiveness when the going gets tough.  It also would improve the rest of the line-up as Lindholm drops to either 2C (preferred, w/Tkachuk & Dube/Jankowski?) or 2RW with Backlund, though I'd like to keep Frolik too, with Backlund.  Of course, all this is predicated on Tkachuk signing a short bridge deal and Bennett stepping up.  Could be interesting.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

You are dead on with the best player issue, that's why I'd like to see Bennett as 1RW long enough to make it stick or for Bennett to prove he can't do the job.  20-30 games maybe?  Bennett has the speed, toughness and WILL be a deterrent which in the long run should enhance Gaudreau's effectiveness when the going gets tough.  It also would improve the rest of the line-up as Lindholm drops to either 2C (preferred, w/Tkachuk & Dube/Jankowski?) or 2RW with Backlund, though I'd like to keep Frolik too, with Backlund.  Of course, all this is predicated on Tkachuk signing a short bridge deal and Bennett stepping up.  Could be interesting.  

In an elimination game in the playoffs, Peters went with Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett.  I think that's telling.  Neal was benched.  That foreshadowed his trade.  

So we may very well see Bennett on the top line to start next season.

11 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Marty St. Louis helped lead tampa to the cup in 04.  24 points in 23 games. Only 5 foot 8.

Tampa was a Big team.  Flames were too.  

Marty, despite being shorter,  15 pounds heavier than Gaudreau.   The guy was pure muscle.  Short,  stocky, low center of gravity...  and all the other key forwards were either big or huge.

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

In an elimination game in the playoffs, Peters went with Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett.  I think that's telling.  Neal was benched.  That foreshadowed his trade.  

So we may very well see Bennett on the top line to start next season.

I hope we do. 

My hope is peters told Bennett at his exit meeting to get ready for a top 6 role because it’s coming and give him at least 25-30 games before you make any changes. I’m going down with the ship on this one but I really believe Bennett just needs someone to believe in him and a bounce or two to go his way and he’ll be a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I hope we do. 

My hope is peters told Bennett at his exit meeting to get ready for a top 6 role because it’s coming and give him at least 25-30 games before you make any changes. I’m going down with the ship on this one but I really believe Bennett just needs someone to believe in him and a bounce or two to go his way and he’ll be a pleasant surprise. 

I kind of feel the same way. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I hope we do. 

I also believe he has it in him and has had it for a while.    We rushed his development but the kid has so much talent I think it can still work out.

Blows my mind that people think we should trade our most under-rated players and keep our most over-rated.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sooo... how about Ristolainen?

3 @ $5.4 remaining?  5g,  38a,  43pts,  -41.  Way better off keeping Brodie. Even if he had great numbers thats still tough to fit in the budget.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Now that Valimaki is out for an extended period of time....hmmmm.

Comes down to his defence.  There is no question that Buffalo makes him look worse.  But you need to think Real hard about bringing over the worst +- in the league

• Like 1

Before Valimaki got hurt, Risto was an absolute no go for me.  I'd consider it now, but the deal would have to be dollar for dollar at the very least.  I probably still wouldn't do it until Tkachuk is signed.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Comes down to his defence.  There is no question that Buffalo makes him look worse.  But you need to think Real hard about bringing over the worst +- in the league

Well, when Brodie didn't have Giordano on his pair, he was leading the NHL in worst minus. So Brodie is pretty bad defensively, just like Risto.  The Sabres might be okay trading Brodie straight across.

Maybe if we pair Giordano with Risto, then Risto goes +25 next season.

15 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Before Valimaki got hurt, Risto was an absolute no go for me.  I'd consider it now, but the deal would have to be dollar for dollar at the very least.  I probably still wouldn't do it until Tkachuk is signed.

Ya lots of moving parts here. 

I understand the worry with Risto but maybe he just needs a change of scenery or maybe he needs a lesser role.  Sabres were pushing Risto to be a #1 D because they have nobody else and maybe he's just not that kind of D.  He needs a situation where he settles in as a second pair and focuses on the PP.  We can provide him with that.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I hope we do. 

I like that “going down with the ship....” attitude.  Flames need Bennett to turn the corner, and hopefully this will be the time to do it.  If he does, the positive ripple effects down-roster would be dramatic.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

In some respects he fits the bill, however his results have been mediocre.  Has anyone watched him?

It would be nice to work a deal with Buf that would include Sam Reinhart with Rist. It would need to be dollar for dollar as Buf is hard up to the cap.

Brodie , Frolik, 2020 1st

Rist, Reinhart

Not sure why buf would do this unless they really wanted to add a 1st rnd pick.

Terrible news for Valimaki, I really feel

for the young man, but he will be back and better than ever.

I feel Kylington will be able to play 3rd pair  just as well as he did last year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if BT makes a play for a D that’s younger, maybe even waiver eligible this year, PHI could be a fit. 

For any Garth Brooks fans, maybe the Brodie-TOR trade could have been an unanswered prayer for BT

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well, when Brodie didn't have Giordano on his pair, he was leading the NHL in worst minus. So Brodie is pretty bad defensively, just like Risto.  The Sabres might be okay trading Brodie straight across.

Maybe if we pair Giordano with Risto, then Risto goes +25 next season.

I never got the Brodie hype either.  I'd be very cool with trading Brodie for Not another Brodie imho.

It is possible to acquire defencemen who can play defence.   

Realistically you tend to get better deals trading D for forwards, goalies or picks.  Because if the other team already had a good situation on D, well, they wouldn't be taking Brodie.

My only reservation is if someone thinks Ristolainen could be defensively responsible on a better managed team.   I don't hold high hopes for this, I think our chances would be better with a new prospect.

• Like 1

Whoa. Tough crowd here. Even with Valimaki’s injury we’re still shipping Brodie off, eh? change for the sake of change isn’t something I subscribe to. In my eyes, Brodie is a better fit for us than the available D out there and he’s cap friendly. 

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I never got the Brodie hype either.  I'd be very cool with trading Brodie for Not another Brodie imho.

It is possible to acquire defencemen who can play defence.   

Realistically you tend to get better deals trading D for forwards, goalies or picks.  Because if the other team already had a good situation on D, well, they wouldn't be taking Brodie.

My only reservation is if someone thinks Ristolainen could be defensively responsible on a better managed team.   I don't hold high hopes for this, I think our chances would be better with a new prospect.

I kind of agree, we need a D who can play D.

12 hours ago, Addicted said:

Stone on a PTO??  :lol:

That was my first thought..too bad we didn't pay a team to buy him out for us , now we can't even if we wanted to.

Good thing is we can sign a cheap guy and it's not really cap affecting since valimaki will be on IR

Bad as it sounds , Dion could be an option can't see him signing for more than a million

The other irony here, is this is exact scenario BT gets in trouble with signings. He signs a guy out of Need.. then the unknown makes that player obsolete. Stone gets passed by the Kids, Jooris steps up etc.

so . the silver lining here is if he spends money or assets on a new D, that means Yelesin will become a stud :) 

I wonder if it makes more sense to bring a few D into camp on PTO's and see what shakes down

After Listening to Bt Valimaki isnt even in Calgary Yet they are waiting for his Knee pain to Simmer down before he can take a Flight to calgary and get the Surgery Done By the flames Doctors

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe Brandon Davidson becomes our 7th D.  He has NHL experience.  Unless we trade Brodie, there's no room for Yelesin.

If in fact Yelly was ready for the season start, you have Brodie and Yelly for the 3rd pair.

Or if he isn't then Brodie and Kylington.

Personally, I think BT is looking for a RHS RD to give us options.

If we bring in a 2nd pairing capable player, then we can trade Brodie for a forward upgrade.

That way we have 3 RHS RD and 3 LHS LD.

Davidson makes 4 LHS until Valimaki gets back, which may not be till the spring.