The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I know I suggested this a while back, but given how the summer has developed I think a couple of high end trades could be doable.

Trade 1: Gaudreau for Marner

Rationale: Flames acquire a top performer in Marner who is younger with slightly more upside.  Toronto gets a near equivalent talent with a bargain contract that allows them to possible bring back Gardiner this season.  A great win-now type move.  Might have to add a draft pick or prospect to make this happen.

Trade 2: Monahan for Dubois

Rationale: Flames get a high end center who has potential to produce at the same rate as Monahan.  Dubois is more physical, is younger, and currently still on his ELC, meaning big enough savings on the cap to get both Tkachuk and Marner under contract.  For Columbus, they get an elite scorer in his prime with a solid contract (Dubois will make more than Monahan in a years time).  Monahan put up 21 more points and 7 more goals last season while playing a less sheltered role than Dubois, and arguably has the higher offensive ceiling (debate-able I know), plus name recognition (could be important in a market like columbus).

This gives us a different look up front.

Tkachuk-Dubois-Marner

Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm

Mangiapagne-Ryan-Dube

Lucic-Jankowski-Czarnik

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Oilers are capped out though...

Not really.

The Oilers have 2.4m with 14F and 7D signed.

Frolik replaces one of the forwards, so subtract Brodziak's amount to be burried (1.07m).

Manning will never play a game in the NHL, so subtract burried amount (1.07m).

Bear or Jones will replace Manning.

Persson will play or be replaced by Bear or Jones.

2.4 + 1.075 + 1.075 - 300k = 4.3m

Doable by itself, but it makes sense to retain 1m just to make it work.

Or 750k to offset what they are paying for Lucic.

Just for one year, though.

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I know I suggested this a while back, but given how the summer has developed I think a couple of high end trades could be doable.

Trade 1: Gaudreau for Marner

Rationale: Flames acquire a top performer in Marner who is younger with slightly more upside.  Toronto gets a near equivalent talent with a bargain contract that allows them to possible bring back Gardiner this season.  A great win-now type move.  Might have to add a draft pick or prospect to make this happen.

Trade 2: Monahan for Dubois

Rationale: Flames get a high end center who has potential to produce at the same rate as Monahan.  Dubois is more physical, is younger, and currently still on his ELC, meaning big enough savings on the cap to get both Tkachuk and Marner under contract.  For Columbus, they get an elite scorer in his prime with a solid contract (Dubois will make more than Monahan in a years time).  Monahan put up 21 more points and 7 more goals last season while playing a less sheltered role than Dubois, and arguably has the higher offensive ceiling (debate-able I know), plus name recognition (could be important in a market like columbus).

This gives us a different look up front.

Tkachuk-Dubois-Marner

Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm

Mangiapagne-Ryan-Dube

Lucic-Jankowski-Czarnik

I know whatever we post here is for fun but this would be dreaming in Techno-Colour. LOL

• Like 1

I like the fit with PHI as a trade partner. If they sign Provorov by opening night, they will have 8 NHL D, none of them being waiver exempt either. Adding Braun and Niskanen this summer has guys like Hagg and Morin without a chair. I would like to see a Morin for Czarnik deal. Morin brings a defence-first approach to the game, which aside from Gio and Hamonic, these team doesn't have much of. Czarnik could slot in on the Flyers 3rd line. I think it makes some sense as it gives Peters two different options for his 3rd pair, Kylington and his puckmoving or Morin and his stay-at-home game, I also don't love Czarnik here as a 4th liner, he needs to play top 9 to be noticable, also saves abut 500k in this deal.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like the fit with PHI as a trade partner. If they sign Provorov by opening night, they will have 8 NHL D, none of them being waiver exempt either. Adding Braun and Niskanen this summer has guys like Hagg and Morin without a chair. I would like to see a Morin for Czarnik deal. Morin brings a defence-first approach to the game, which aside from Gio and Hamonic, these team doesn't have much of. Czarnik could slot in on the Flyers 3rd line. I think it makes some sense as it gives Peters two different options for his 3rd pair, Kylington and his puckmoving or Morin and his stay-at-home game, I also don't love Czarnik here as a 4th liner, he needs to play top 9 to be noticable, also saves abut 500k in this deal.

So, Nolan Patrick?  What are you proposing.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not really.

The Oilers have 2.4m with 14F and 7D signed.

Frolik replaces one of the forwards, so subtract Brodziak's amount to be burried (1.07m).

Manning will never play a game in the NHL, so subtract burried amount (1.07m).

Bear or Jones will replace Manning.

Persson will play or be replaced by Bear or Jones.

2.4 + 1.075 + 1.075 - 300k = 4.3m

Doable by itself, but it makes sense to retain 1m just to make it work.

Or 750k to offset what they are paying for Lucic.

Just for one year, though.

I would like to take a chance on Puljujarvi too.  But it's probably going to cost more than Frolik.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was a little disappointed that Nichushkin signed in COL, for a reported $800k.

Maybe he's a bust, but we paid more than that for a relative tweener like Czarnik.

Has size and pedigree, though he's only had one decent year in the NHL.

Our loss IMHO.

Agree, I always liked Nichushkin as a low-cost target.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I would like to take a chance on Puljujarvi too.  But it's probably going to cost more than Frolik.

Pretty hard to get value for a guy that hasn't scored a lot and doesn't want to play for your team.

Turris was traded for a 2nd and Rundblad.  And he was more accomplished.

EDM has issues with being scored on, and they are not getting a top 4 D for Pooly.

They won't get a top 6 forward for him either.

The best they can hope for is a player that makes them a better team.

At most, we should offer a lesser prospect added in.

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Agree, I always liked Nichushkin as a low-cost target.

Considering we need RW depth, I wouldn't have minded taking a chance on Nichushkin either.  He's a bit older so I don't have much hope for him compared to Puljujarvi but if he's just a UFA then why not?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty hard to get value for a guy that hasn't scored a lot and doesn't want to play for your team.

Turris was traded for a 2nd and Rundblad.  And he was more accomplished.

EDM has issues with being scored on, and they are not getting a top 4 D for Pooly.

They won't get a top 6 forward for him either.

The best they can hope for is a player that makes them a better team.

At most, we should offer a lesser prospect added in.

Do you think Janko straight across would be enough?  I know the ceiling is way lower, but at least he would give them some center depth and PK ability vs a guy who is going to sit out the season.

27 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Do you think Janko straight across would be enough?  I know the ceiling is way lower, but at least he would give them some center depth and PK ability vs a guy who is going to sit out the season.

Do I think so?

I think that is actually overpayment on our side.

The Oilers are under pressure to compete now, even if the GM is basically saying next year they can redo the lineup.

Give them Janko, and they are marginally better.

It gives them center depth, but he may not provide much offense which is a problem.

Frolik is as good a PK'er (better if you ask me) and much better defensive player all round.

He gives the Oilers a respectable 3rd line winger, and possibly a replacement for when Neal proves he can't play 2-way hockey with Nuge.

I would consider Janko for Pooly if we addressed the lack of center depth in a Brodie trade.

Some caution flags popping up with Puljujarvi. There are lots of reports coming out of Edm that the Oilers actually tried a few things with him last year and he was very stubborn and now he's being quoted as saying he wants a top 6 role. https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/oilers-jesse-puljujarvi-wants-top-6-role-is-it-realistic/1lzjf0vqemy741tmarfzbm20kg

"I want a team where I get a place in one of the first two lines and where I get to play for 15 minutes per game," Puljujarvi said in an interview with Laari, a Finnish television station (translated via TSN). "Then I could show what I'm going for. That is my main goal."

I can understand where he is coming from becuaes when you are drafted 4th overall, team doesn't really give you a shot and then almost seems to hold you back, the comment make sense. Flames don't have the best RW depth, but can they really offer him a spot in the top 6 and what happens if someone like Bennett out plays him.

I still like the player for a certain cost and while I agree Janko for Puljujarvi is fair and makes alot of sense, that might be overpaying given what's been said here. Puljujavi wants a one way deal and is now waiver eligible so you are in trouble a bit if this doesn't work. 

^^^^^

Yeah, I can't even tell if the problem is between his ears or if he did not fit the group (dressing room and player skills).

As far as what he "wants"?  Who cares.  He won't be getting top 6 minutes or play this year on the Oilers.

They have three players they had or picked up that are now ahead of him; Neal, Kassian and Chaisson.

The best he can hope for is Neal failing or Granlund pumping him up.

The problem with being a shiny toy in EDM is if you don't get 50 points as a rookie, then you get cast aside.

Life is easier if you think in absolutes. It just isn't accurate. 

The Flames haven't had playoff success. The players on the roster haven't had playoff success. That doesn't mean the players on the roster can't have playoff success. 

The Flames need a few tweaks. But taking 20 games while ignoring the 100s of game and making rash changes would be indefensible. 

• Like 1

Earlier some were talking about the rebuild and trading away stars for picks (CCC mentioned it in response to someone). 

The thing about it I think to consider is knowing the strength/depths  of the upcoming drafts and what you’re getting for a star. 

With JBo and Iggy there wasn’t really that foresight and the draft they chose to begin the build from was very shallow, or very top heavy (if that). 

I think its where here communication with amateur scouts will help when deciding to move the players for picks.

with Iginla and JBo they were about 1-3 years too late. 

I dont see trading Gaudreau until he has 2 years left. They better have had the conversation on whether he would re-sign or want to move, unless it was for someone like Marner now. 

I think in order to accommodate their cap issues, they’d have to add a pick or two to the deal as Gaudreau and him are close in the way they drive play, and Gaudreau has a significantly lower cap for a few more years.

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I dont see trading Gaudreau until he has 2 years left. They better have had the conversation on whether he would re-sign or want to move, unless it was for someone like Marner now. 

I think in order to accommodate their cap issues, they’d have to add a pick or two to the deal as Gaudreau and him are close in the way they drive play, and Gaudreau has a significantly lower cap for a few more years.

What I don't get is the talk about trading Gaudreau because he will walk.  We may have trouble re-signing him on the cheap, but there is nothing to support the idea that we have to trade him or lose him for nothing.  This isn't a Panarin or Duchene.  If the decision is to rebuild or trade him for a player like Marner, then that is a different story because the team wants to go in a different direction. 

Exactly Ty Td if we Get a Trade me Request from Jh then Deal with it at that time But honestly We need to Stop trying to read players minds on what we Think they are gonna do or not gonna do unless we are all tarot card Readers all the Sudden

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What I don't get is the talk about trading Gaudreau because he will walk.  We may have trouble re-signing him on the cheap, but there is nothing to support the idea that we have to trade him or lose him for nothing.  This isn't a Panarin or Duchene.  If the decision is to rebuild or trade him for a player like Marner, then that is a different story because the team wants to go in a different direction. 

You're right. We don’t know if he is going to go back, it’s really just a response to the Tavares thing, when it could be a Stamkos situation. 

We Can Sit here honestly Robrob And try to Predict what he is gonna do and have Ulcers worrying what he is gonna do aswell until the time comes really there isnt anything to worry about till that time comes

21 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

We Can Sit here honestly Robrob And try to Predict what he is gonna do and have Ulcers worrying what he is gonna do aswell until the time comes really there isnt anything to worry about till that time comes

True, but i guess I don’t worry too much. 

I agree that if you trade Gaudreau, then what? You better be getting an equivalent star in return or something that will become one. He drives so much of the play when he is on the ice that I wonder if we could survive without him.

hopefully his bro can be a good story. Signing him might create good relations between them. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Solid veteran defenseman.

Nah, he's so washed up.  For $1-mil for 1-year as the 7th D... Then sure.

I don't mind that deal at all, he was one of the guys I looked at for a PTO. I don't agree he's washed up, he just got handed a terrible contract by the Flyers and never lived it up to it. it was one of the bigger head scratcher deals in the salary cap era. As a bottom pairing dman or as your 7th dman he's decent and you could do a whole lot worse. 

Put worth remembering he has to make the team off his PTO and the team is required to play a certain amount of veterans. There are no guarantees he even makes the team. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't mind that deal at all, he was one of the guys I looked at for a PTO. I don't agree he's washed up, he just got handed a terrible contract by the Flyers and never lived it up to it. it was one of the bigger head scratcher deals in the salary cap era. As a bottom pairing dman or as your 7th dman he's decent and you could do a whole lot worse. 

Put worth remembering he has to make the team off his PTO and the team is required to play a certain amount of veterans. There are no guarantees he even makes the team. 

I understand the need for a LHS, but really we also need a RHS for depth.

Let's hope he hasn't degraded to the point of Grossmann.

If so, we lose the season opener.  Again.