The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

47 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Eklund has Detroit looking to trade Mantha for defense help. I wonder if Brodie and Frolik might do it.

Nope.  Redwings are a rebuilding team.  They aren’t going to trade a top 6 forward for two expiring contracts.  Maybe for something like kylington + janko, but I don’t know if the value is there for them.

48 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Eklund has Detroit looking to trade Mantha for defense help. I wonder if Brodie and Frolik might do it.

Mantha is like a Bobby Ryan and Van Riemsdyk style of player.  Good size but doesn't hit enough, offensive minded but lacks defense.  He's not a good two-way player but if you need a trigger man on the PP, then Mantha is the guy. 

For the right price, he would be a fantastic add.  For Brodie + Frolik, that would be too good to be true.

11 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Nope.  Redwings are a rebuilding team.  They aren’t going to trade a top 6 forward for two expiring contracts.  Maybe for something like kylington + janko, but I don’t know if the value is there for them.

I wouldn't even trade Kylington for Mantha straight up.  I think Kylington has looked pretty good last season and high stock will rise this season.

What you see is what you get with Mantha.  25G-25A 2nd line RW.

21 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

If I am the GM of a rebuilding team, particularly one concerned with filling seats, I am picking up as many 1 year contract as I can. Especially value ones like Brodie and Frolk. 

It gives you the opportunity to be competitive. They also give you flexibility. Sign them. Trade them at the deadline. Etc. 

Take Brodie, you can pick up a top 4 D to help you until the deadline. If he isn't a fit or isn't interested in signing then you can trade him at the deadline when top 4 D have very high value. 

while we're all rebuilding the Flames.. any word on what the dimensions of the new rink will be?? Euro ice/olympic ice or north american ice is going to play a big part in the team we build

7 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

while we're all rebuilding the Flames.. any word on what the dimensions of the new rink will be?? Euro ice/olympic ice or north american ice is going to play a big part in the team we build

The NHL plays on NA ice. 

there was talk about expanding newly built rinks to Euro size.. The Saddledome was built so that the rink could cvhange dimensions depending on who was playing.. euro and Olympic ice is actually larger than NHL dimensions

17 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

there was talk about expanding newly built rinks to Euro size.. The Saddledome was built so that the rink could cvhange dimensions depending on who was playing.. euro and Olympic ice is actually larger than NHL dimensions

I remember hearing a while back that the NHL has been asking new NHL rinks to be built with the option to remove the first two rows of seating to allow for potential ice surface size increase.  So i imagine the Flames new arena will be built with this provision.  That said, we are a decade away from having all NHL arenas fitted with this ability to transform so don't start planning your roster around that.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I remember hearing a while back that the NHL has been asking new NHL rinks to be built with the option to remove the first two rows of seating to allow for potential ice surface size increase.  So i imagine the Flames new arena will be built with this provision.  That said, we are a decade away from having all NHL arenas fitted with this ability to transform so don't start planning your roster around that.

are you kidding?? this is Calgary.. We're probably 10 years away from opening a new arena.. There will be another election here in the city before any shovel is in the ground.. I am not a fan of Mayor Nenshi's grand vision of turning Calgary into Little Dubai.. Sure as Satoshi Nakamoto there will be another flood along the River downtown and we'll see  how much water the Saddledome and the rest of the glass towers along the riverfront can hold

40 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

are you kidding?? this is Calgary.. We're probably 10 years away from opening a new arena.. There will be another election here in the city before any shovel is in the ground.. I am not a fan of Mayor Nenshi's grand vision of turning Calgary into Little Dubai.. Sure as Satoshi Nakamoto there will be another flood along the River downtown and we'll see  how much water the Saddledome and the rest of the glass towers along the riverfront can hold

Run to the hills and don't look back, you'll be safer there.

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

I dont Think it will honestly take 10 years for this arena i think it will get done on time as they schedule it

Also, the Oilers are  a cup favourite  ;) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Also, the Oilers are  a cup favourite  ;) 

Speaking of which, since Pooly is playing in Europe until traded, why not give a reasonable offer for him now.

We lack RW's.

He's not slow.

He can play with a bit of an edge.

A new coach on a team with actual NHL players may be the cure for his ills.

Frolik with $2m retained is all that should be required.

Improve their team immensely.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Speaking of which, since Pooly is playing in Europe until traded, why not give a reasonable offer for him now.

We lack RW's.

He's not slow.

Completely agree.  Mark it on the calendar.

I was just posting about how there's opportunity to do with Swedes here, what the capitals did with Russians.   Calgary does not do everything well.  cough cough goaltending.

But we do a good job with Swedes.  Especially underperforming ones.   

(Puljujarvi actually has Swedish citizenship)

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We lack RW's.

He's not slow.

Considering we made a Lucic-Neal deal with EDM, it's almost certain Puljujarvi's name came up and the fact we didn't get Puljujarvi tells me the ask was too high.  I remember reading an Oilers webpage suggesting possible trade destinations for Puljujarvi and the suggestion for the Flames was Puljujarvi for Dube straight up.  I get why they think Puljujarvi is worth Dube but needless to say, that's a non-starter for us.

I can imagine BT offering Frolik but that's likely not even close to what they are asking.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Considering we made a Lucic-Neal deal with EDM, it's almost certain Puljujarvi's name came up and the fact we didn't get Puljujarvi tells me the ask was too high.  I remember reading an Oilers webpage suggesting possible trade destinations for Puljujarvi and the suggestion for the Flames was Puljujarvi for Dube straight up.  I get why they think Puljujarvi is worth Dube but needless to say, that's a non-starter for us.

I can imagine BT offering Frolik but that's likely not even close to what they are asking.

I don't think Pooly was part of the ask, as they seemed like cap savings was the goal.

While the Oils have turned down some low-ball offers (or not responded at all), Pooly's value is almost nil.

Unsigned RFA with a supposed attitude, even if that's just with his current team.

He will never play a game with the Oilers again.

Every team knows it.

Frolik is actually worth more than Pooly.

Established player.

Fits many situations.

Has outscored Pooly in every situation.

Playing in an inferior legue is not going to increase his value.

If they hold onto him until November, how is his value going to be higher?

Misses camps, plays less than 70 games, still needs to be signed.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think Pooly was part of the ask, as they seemed like cap savings was the goal.

While the Oils have turned down some low-ball offers (or not responded at all), Pooly's value is almost nil.

Unsigned RFA with a supposed attitude, even if that's just with his current team.

He will never play a game with the Oilers again.

Every team knows it.

Frolik is actually worth more than Pooly.

Established player.

Fits many situations.

Has outscored Pooly in every situation.

Playing in an inferior legue is not going to increase his value.

If they hold onto him until November, how is his value going to be higher?

Misses camps, plays less than 70 games, still needs to be signed.

If BT didn't at least ask, then BT should be fired.

So, i'm sure he asked.  I'm sure 29 other GMs in the NHL asked because that's their job to ask and the fact Puljujarvi hasn't been traded already means the asking price is not reflective of market value.  Simply put, the Oilers are delusional, sure.  I'm sure BT has asked and I'm sure it's not Frolik or Frolik would be an Oiler right now and Puljujarvi would be a Flames.

And so my guess is the ask is Dube.  Again, i get why the Oilers think Dube is fair value but obviously, that is unreasonable.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

BT should be fired.

This works better for me without the context :)

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And so my guess is the ask is Dube.  Again, i get why the Oilers think Dube is fair value but obviously, that is unreasonable.

Frolik would be better, but I'd pull that trigger.  Maybe with a pick coming our way.

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This works better for me without the context :)

Frolik would be better, but I'd pull that trigger.  Maybe with a pick coming our way.

mangiapane AND PHILLIPS FOR PULLY PLUS

17 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

mangiapane AND PHILLIPS FOR PULLY PLUS

I may be one of the few really high on Mangiapane.

He figured it out at the end of the season.

He's always been a points producer, just hadn't made the transition to NHL.

Which I think he did.

So, no thinks to any trade for Pooly involving Mangiapane.

Czarnik?  Sure.

Frolik?  Why not.

Janko?  Pooly and a pick or lesser prospect coming back.  He is a NHL center after all.

I don't think either trade makes us better the way Pooly plays right now.

He only has future value.

At the moment, pooly is not available.  The oilers seem intent to only accept a 1st or a high prospect.  They seem to think he can increase his value playing overseas.  Hard to imagine that working out for them, but at the moment there does not seem to be a desire to take what they can get.

20 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

At the moment, pooly is not available.  The oilers seem intent to only accept a 1st or a high prospect.  They seem to think he can increase his value playing overseas.  Hard to imagine that working out for them, but at the moment there does not seem to be a desire to take what they can get.

Obviously they are hoping for a bidding war, but honestly once he plays in Finland his value drops.

Teams don't want to try to integrate a player mid season, especially if they have to pay good value to get him.

So, my belief is that the trade happens early September before TC starts for teams.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I like this kid too. It seems as though he's just scratching the surface. I'd definitely like to see what we have in him, before he's shipped off for a "project" like poolparty. I guess i don't really know whether pooly is damaged goods but, going off of the rumors.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He figured it out at the end of the season.

He's always been a points producer, just hadn't made the transition to NHL.

Which I think he did.

So, no thinks to any trade for Pooly involving Mangiapane.

Czarnik?  Sure.

Frolik?  Why not.

Janko?  Pooly and a pick or lesser prospect coming back.  He is a NHL center after all.

I don't think either trade makes us better the way Pooly plays right now.

He only has future value.

I have never been a fan. I don't really know why. He has done well in the AHL and his underlying numbers are strong at the NHL. But there is something about his game that rubs me the wrong way I guess.