The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Looks like Zacha is no longer an option. Signed a 3 year, 6.75 mil contract with the Devils. Only way he is available to anyone is if it was specifically set up as a sign and trade move, but I doubt it. RFA's are starting to sign so hopefully that speeds things up with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

Fiala also has now signed, 2 year 6 mil.

24 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Looks like Zacha is no longer an option. Signed a 3 year, 6.75 mil contract with the Devils. Only way he is available to anyone is if it was specifically set up as a sign and trade move, but I doubt it. RFA's are starting to sign so hopefully that speeds things up with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

Fiala also has now signed, 2 year 6 mil.

That's a nice bridge deal by Shero. $2.25 per for a 3C, whereas Fiala is $3 per for a winger that pretty much fell apart last year.

Teams that appear available for trades that could help cap hit are few and far between now. Only teams currently with decent cap space are 

Avalanche

**Jets**

Flyers

Senators

Blue Jackets

If you consider a 22 man roster (13,7,2) then teams needing to add players are 

Jets 2** (15.45 mil, need to resign Laine and Connor)

Flyers 3** (13.4 mil Need to sign or move Konecny and Provorov plus add 2 more forwards and drop 1 D either L or R)

Flames 2** (Have 7.7 mil, need to sign 2 RFA, have 1 extra F to move and need 1 D, also may need potential spot for PTO)

Wild 1 (Have 5 mil for an extra forward)

Hawks 1 (Have an extra D, need 2 F with about 2.4 mil)

Rangers 1 (2 mil to sign a bottom D man)

Coyotes 1 (less than 200 k for a bottom forward)

Based on these areas, I would say that currently the best trading partner for the Flames would be Philly. Konecny is likely looking at 4-5 mil based on his stats. Provorov likely less if Philly chooses to keep him. Werenski has the better stats and only makes 5 so Provorov likely in the 3.5-4.5 range. By dropping one of their other D, that frees up about another 700k so assuming 9 mil to Konecny and Provorov, the Flyers would have a little over 5 mil for 2 forwards.

Would the Flames be able to do Frolik 4.3, (1 mil retained) + Czarnik 1.25 total 4.55 for Phillipe Myers (Waivers exempt 22 yr 6'5 RD) a 2nd and 4th round pick? This would leave the Flames with another RD prospect back in the system, more draft picks and an extra 4.55 to re-sign Mange and Chucky + 2 Fwds and a D. Myers could also be that D at 679k, DSP at 1.5 mil leaves over 10 mill then for Chucky and Mange which should be plenty.

Just spitballing for trades that might work for both teams.

• Like 2

So, Stone signed a one year deal with the Flames for $700k.

We pay him to not play and as well to play.

Nice fat paycheck this year for him.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah I had to do a double take when I saw that on twitter. I didn't think we were allowed to sign a guy after buying him out. We still safe around $1.7m in cap hit on him. At that cap hit he can be a fine 6th/7th defenseman. I am fine with bringing him back.

17 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Teams that appear available for trades that could help cap hit are few and far between now. Only teams currently with decent cap space are 

Avalanche

**Jets**

Flyers

Senators

Blue Jackets

If you consider a 22 man roster (13,7,2) then teams needing to add players are 

Jets 2** (15.45 mil, need to resign Laine and Connor)

Flyers 3** (13.4 mil Need to sign or move Konecny and Provorov plus add 2 more forwards and drop 1 D either L or R)

Flames 2** (Have 7.7 mil, need to sign 2 RFA, have 1 extra F to move and need 1 D, also may need potential spot for PTO)

Wild 1 (Have 5 mil for an extra forward)

Hawks 1 (Have an extra D, need 2 F with about 2.4 mil)

Rangers 1 (2 mil to sign a bottom D man)

Coyotes 1 (less than 200 k for a bottom forward)

Based on these areas, I would say that currently the best trading partner for the Flames would be Philly. Konecny is likely looking at 4-5 mil based on his stats. Provorov likely less if Philly chooses to keep him. Werenski has the better stats and only makes 5 so Provorov likely in the 3.5-4.5 range. By dropping one of their other D, that frees up about another 700k so assuming 9 mil to Konecny and Provorov, the Flyers would have a little over 5 mil for 2 forwards.

Would the Flames be able to do Frolik 4.3, (1 mil retained) + Czarnik 1.25 total 4.55 for Phillipe Myers (Waivers exempt 22 yr 6'5 RD) a 2nd and 4th round pick? This would leave the Flames with another RD prospect back in the system, more draft picks and an extra 4.55 to re-sign Mange and Chucky + 2 Fwds and a D. Myers could also be that D at 679k, DSP at 1.5 mil leaves over 10 mill then for Chucky and Mange which should be plenty.

Just spitballing for trades that might work for both teams.

Damn bosn, great post. Yet again.

I'd do a trade like that for cap relief. Gives futures. And extra picks come TDL if warranted.

Question is, is Stone better than MacDonald? I'm not sure, but you probably don't want both on your roster.

Just now, ABC923 said:

Question is, is Stone better than MacDonald? I'm not sure, but you probably don't want both on your roster.

They are probably pretty equal with Stone giving you more of a physical presence, where MacDonald is probably a bit better of a skater.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah I had to do a double take when I saw that on twitter. I didn't think we were allowed to sign a guy after buying him out. 

Totals man.  Is it legal?  Should it be?  Has this happened before?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Since no one signed him this off season, he should clear waivers easy and start the season in AHL.  We can freely call him up and down.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Since no one signed him this off season, he should clear waivers easy and start the season in AHL.  We can freely call him up and down.

I think the fact they just signed him indicates they like him. I expect he will be our 6 or 7D. 

54 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I think the fact they just signed him indicates they like him. I expect he will be our 6 or 7D. 

Does this then free up the option to trade Brodie you think?  We almost traded Brodie for Kadri.  Then Valimaki got injured and Brodie was said to be untouchable. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does this then free up the option to trade Brodie you think?  We almost traded Brodie for Kadri.  Then Valimaki got injured and Brodie was said to be untouchable. 

We physically can’t sign Tkachuk and Mang for the space we have, so someone still has to go.  That said, Stone is getting league minimum, so he can be sent down to the AHL at no cap hit, so I don’t think he affects the calculus much.  We still need someone to be the 6/7, and this is as cheap as they get.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Doubt it. They seem to like the second pair. Not sure Andersson is ready for consistent top pair time. My guess is they keep Brodie. Stone was about adding some depth to an area that needs depth I think. 

Thst said. Who knows? 

What about a trade for Ehlers from Winnipeg?

Winnipeg gives:

Ehlers(6)

Calgary gives:

Brodie(4.65)

Jankowski(1.6)

Why Calgary does it: They get the best player.  Save another 200k.  Second line improves. Lineup has more flexibility.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm

Tkachuk Backlund Ehlers

Bennett Ryan Lucic

Smith-pelly Dube Mangiapane 

Why Winnipeg does it: They need a Dman to play top 4.  They don't take on any cap so they can sign Connor and Liane.

Really all depends on the value of Brodie to other teams.  If Brodie and Jankowski almost got Kadri… I imagine it might be enough value to get Ehlers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

What about a trade for Ehlers from Winnipeg?

Winnipeg gives:

Ehlers(6)

Calgary gives:

Brodie(4.65)

Jankowski(1.6)

Why Calgary does it: They get the best player.  Save another 200k.  Second line improves. Lineup has more flexibility.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm

Tkachuk Backlund Ehlers

Bennett Ryan Lucic

Smith-pelly Dube Mangiapane 

Why Winnipeg does it: They need a Dman to play top 4.  They don't take on any cap so they can sign Connor and Liane.

Really all depends on the value of Brodie to other teams.  If Brodie and Jankowski almost got Kadri… I imagine it might be enough value to get Ehlers.

Ehlers is a left shot LW.  Theres already a crowd on the left and doesnt help with the cap.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kehatch said:

Doubt it. They seem to like the second pair. Not sure Andersson is ready for consistent top pair time. My guess is they keep Brodie. Stone was about adding some depth to an area that needs depth I think. 

Thst said. Who knows? 

As a 7th D-man, Stone makes sense.

We have Brodie, Hammer, and Ras on that side.

On LD, we have Gio, Hanifin, and Kylington.

There was some suggestion that BT was going to make a couple of moves to change things up.

Adding Stone if you are thinking about trading Brodie makes sense.

That is assuming that they feel Ras is ready for top pair full time.

Trading Brodie would be done to add to RW and/or RHS depth.

Or like the Kadri trade was to shore up #3C.

I'm just not convinced that Brodie will be on the opening day roster.

Too hard to re-sign him next year.

Can't just let him walk.

At TDL, he might be a valuable asset, but you have to carry the salary until then.

EDIT - should have added Davidson to the LD list, as a possible 6/7th D.

He's not that great, but they could opt for him over Kylington or use at the 7th D and waive Stone.

Honestly i would have preferred Macdonald over Stone. Macdonald is not a bad Dman, he was just horrendously overpaid. 

for basically league min i'm not going to complain and it's decent RS depth they wanted and he would easily wind up in the A. It's fine, even thought it's not what I would have done as I don't view Stone as worth having on an NHL roster. 

I'm pretty skeptical this has anything to do with a Brodie trade. Flames wanted depth once Valamaki went down so I view it as that. If this does preclude a Brodie trade, well then they better be getting a solid return because the Flames D is super thin and will have a terrible 3rd pair if Stone is the replacement on the last pair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Honestly i would have preferred Macdonald over Stone. Macdonald is not a paid Dman, he was just horrendously overpaid. 

for basiclaly league min i'm not going to complain and it's decent RS depth they wanted and he would easily wind up in the A. It's fine, even thought it's not what I would have done as I don't view Stone as worth having on an NHL roster. 

I'm pretty skeptical this has anything to do with a Brodie trade. Flames wanted depth once Valamaki went down so I view it as that. If this does preclude a Brodie trade, well then they better be getting a ot because the Flames D is super thin and will have a terrible 3rd pair if Stone is the brodie replacement. 

I think a lot of other outside moves by other teams have sealed the Flames fate along with this Valimaki injury. You are correct in that there is no way we should be trading Brodie now. Stone as a very well paid 7th defenseman is a familiar player. I think Frolik is also here to stay for now which isn't all bad given our RW situation without him.

29 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I think a lot of other outside moves by other teams have sealed the Flames fate along with this Valimaki injury. You are correct in that there is no way we should be trading Brodie now. Stone as a very well paid 7th defenseman is a familiar player. I think Frolik is also here to stay for now which isn't all bad given our RW situation without him.

$7m in cap space with 21 players of 23 signed.

Doesn't leave enough room to sign Tkachuk alone, unless you go short term.

Assume you get him for $6m, and Mange for $800k.

Leaves about $200k to manage injuries not considered long term.

Sound like zero flexibility there.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

May have to be how it goes down.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure, but I'd think they can assign Valimaki to Stockton and gain the nearly $900k in Cap space?  Or is that via LTIR only?  

Valimaki currently does not count towards the cap as he is already listed as IR on Capfriendly. If he is healthy enough to make it back this season, the length of injury rehab will likely dictate that he will be sent to Stockton regardless in order to get him up to speed. I don't see him on the big club until the end of regular season at best so as not to rush him, unless the Flames run into serious issues on the blue line. It is not that he doesn't deserve to be on the big club, but this kind of injury takes time to heal. If he misses nearly half the season without being able to really train, bringing him straight back to the big club would be a bad idea. Similar to Stone and his blood clot last year. With the time missed, he was so behind on conditioning that he never got back in the lineup. Nylander missed almost half a season for the leafs last year due to holdout and never really got up to speed. I simply do not expect Valimaki to be in the Flames lineup this season.

42 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Valimaki currently does not count towards the cap as he is already listed as IR on Capfriendly. If he is healthy enough to make it back this season, the length of injury rehab will likely dictate that he will be sent to Stockton regardless in order to get him up to speed. I don't see him on the big club until the end of regular season at best so as not to rush him, unless the Flames run into serious issues on the blue line. It is not that he doesn't deserve to be on the big club, but this kind of injury takes time to heal. If he misses nearly half the season without being able to really train, bringing him straight back to the big club would be a bad idea. Similar to Stone and his blood clot last year. With the time missed, he was so behind on conditioning that he never got back in the lineup. Nylander missed almost half a season for the leafs last year due to holdout and never really got up to speed. I simply do not expect Valimaki to be in the Flames lineup this season.

Given the fact he had the high ankle sprain last year I would prefer not to see him with the big club at all and not with the heat until he's absolutely 100%. He's potentially a blue chip d-man, lets not risk ruining that because of impatience.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

On CapFriendly, Valimaki is included on IR AND his $894k is included in the Cap calculation, hence my earlier question.  Since the season hasn't started and he is not waiver-eligible can't he be assigned to Stockton, even injured?  If not, is it the same for every player at camp that gets injured prior to being sent down?  If he can be sent down, then signing Stone at $700k gives the Flames another ~$200k towards the Cap, which would therefore be ~$7,950mm.