The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

On CapFriendly, Valimaki is included on IR AND his $894k is included in the Cap calculation, hence my earlier question.  Since the season hasn't started and he is not waiver-eligible can't he be assigned to Stockton, even injured?  If not, is it the same for every player at camp that gets injured prior to being sent down?  If he can be sent down, then signing Stone at $700k gives the Flames another ~$200k towards the Cap, which would therefore be ~$7,950mm.

Tough question.

I believe they can only use his cap hit to reduce the amount abive the cap.

If we are below it, it doesn't reduce anything.

You can't assign a non-healthy player to the AHL if he was on the roster before the end of last season.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Tough question.

I believe they can only use his cap hit to reduce the amount abive the cap.

If we are below it, it doesn't reduce anything.

You can't assign a non-healthy player to the AHL if he was on the roster before the end of last season.

If it comes down to last year’s roster I guess that would preclude Valimaki, hence why CapFriendly is including his cap in the overall Flames cap.  If that’s so the new Cap is just slightly over $7mm, which is likely not enough, even for my hoped for Tkachuk bridge deal.  

IR does nothing for cap space, that is for roster purposes only. 

Injured players cannot be assigned to the AHL, so no the Flames cannot "assign" Valamki to the AHL to gain cap they can put him on LTIR and gain the cap credits. Valimaki's cap won't give them much relief obviously, but in order to maximize LTIR you want to get as close to the cap as you possible can and then activiate LTIR to gain maximum relief.

however, given his cap hit is not large my guess would be Valimaki doens't wind up on LTIR and just stays on IR. During the season they may use it if they ran into some injuries. 

Getting back to trades.

Honka wants to be traded.

He's a RFA that hasn't done much or had much opportunity to play.

Dallas is cap-strapped.

As a target, would Honka have better results as a #3RD than Stone?

Not suggesting Stone is anything other than a 7th man, and in fact they may even just waive him and keep him playing in the AHL to keep ready.

This would be a trade to free up cap space.

May have to be a prospect/pick combo.

The reason why I even bring it up is that it could be a longer term replacement for RD.

If Honka was good enough for regular 3rd pairing minutes and Ras was capable, we could live without Brodie and make a trade for a RW or C.

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kylington-Honka

7th D - Stone/MacDonald/Yelesin

According to Friedman, Faulk to the Ducks sounds like it isn't gonna happen. I would really try to send Brodie to ANA, I've said it before but he is a very similar player to Faulk. Brodie and Janko for Kase. ANA can afford it and they get a top 4 D and a C they can slot in behind Getzlaf/Henrique, Kase has 20 goal potential for CGY and the capsavings allow you to comfortably pay Tkachuk north of 9 and still have wiggle room 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

According to Friedman, Faulk to the Ducks sounds like it isn't gonna happen. I would really try to send Brodie to ANA, I've said it before but he is a very similar player to Faulk. Brodie and Janko for Kase. ANA can afford it and they get a top 4 D and a C they can slot in behind Getzlaf/Henrique, Kase has 20 goal potential for CGY and the capsavings allow you to comfortably pay Tkachuk north of 9 and still have wiggle room 

I don't hate the idea, in fact I like Kase. The problems I see are two fold. First we don't have anyone to fill Brodie's spot on the Blueline, trading Brodie would basically kill our Blueline depth. Secondly the reason the Faulk trade fell through is because he didn't want to sign an extension in Anaheim, so Brodie would have to be willing to sign in Anaheim. I would think that he would want to test the market.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Actually, we should try for Faulk as well.  I wonder if Jankowski has similar trade value to Kase.  Faulk is RHS RD and legit top pair RD.  Great on the PP.  He had a down year and could maybe get extended on a bargain.

And in a separate trade, move Brodie for Kase.

Flames gain about a mil if no other players are involved.  Maybe somehow Czarnik can be a throw in.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Actually, we should try for Faulk as well.  I wonder if Jankowski has similar trade value to Kase.  Faulk is RHS RD and legit top pair RD.  Great on the PP.  He had a down year and could maybe get extended on a bargain.

And in a separate trade, move Brodie for Kase.

Flames gain about a mil if no other players are involved.  Maybe somehow Czarnik can be a throw in.

They certainly gone to a cap team in no time.

Buying out Marleau and still having Semin on the books.

LTIR already used.

Janko is less value than Faulk by a long shot, but I like your thinking.

It helps them with the cap.

It improves our R/L balance.

Brofie for Case makes it possible.

I don't think BT can realistically make a deal for Faulk, frankly I was surprised ANA was on his "no" list, he has 15 teams on that list and I'm willing to bet we are on it as well. Only saving grace could be Faulk feeling we have a really good team and what better way to showcase himself than being on a top team in the West and potentially playing into May as he approaches UFA

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think BT can realistically make a deal for Faulk, frankly I was surprised ANA was on his "no" list, he has 15 teams on that list and I'm willing to bet we are on it as well. Only saving grace could be Faulk feeling we have a really good team and what better way to showcase himself than being on a top team in the West and potentially playing into May as he approaches UFA

The issue with ANA was agreeing to an extension.

Getting an agreement to a long term deal while playing for a crap team.

They could easily do one here, assuming that is even a stumbling block having the chance to play for a strong team.

His stock would rise here for sure.

EDIT - I see we tend to agree in the latter part of your post.

We would need to have deals hinging on each other, or trading for Faulk doesn;t make sense.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Too bad they got Gardiner and likely don't want Brodie.  Otherwise, a Brodie + Jankowski for Faulk could work. 

On 9/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

That trade does nothing for the Ducks. They want a right shot defenseman, not someone who just plays on the right side. Right now they only have 1 right shot on their blueline. 

I wonder if it makes sense for NJ to trade Vatanen for Brodie straight up.

RHS for LHS.

Brodie could be paired with PK.

TBH, I don't know how he's played since going to NJ; numbers don't tell the full story.

Does this help or hurt?

The salaries are almost identical.

Laine disgruntled in Winnipeg.... 

Hypothetically speaking, would we rather trade Thachuk for Laine and have,

Gaudreau - Monahan - Laine

Or trade Gaudreau for Marner and have,

Tkachuk - Monahan - Marner

Which one?

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Which one?

Well, I think Laine has not demonstrated that he's a top line player yet.

What is Marner without Tavares or Matthews?

Is he better than Gaudreau?

Would I like to have either?

Sure.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Which one?

Marner, easily.  Laines comments are starting to wear thin around here. Other than his goals, his #s aren't worth the 8.5+ mil that hes supposedly asking for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Marner, easily.  Laines comments are starting to wear thin around here. Other than his goals, his #s aren't worth the 8.5+ mil that hes supposedly asking for.

I like Conner as a complete player better than Laine but not sure I would want to trade Tkachuk for him unless WPG added something significant.

So with the supposed possibility if big Buff retiring in Winnipeg (pure speculation right now), maybe theres a potential landing spot for Brodie if theres still interest in moving him?

Brodie, Janko, Czarnik for  Lowry, Poolman, 2-3 round pick?

If we move Brodie we are stuck with a 3rd pairing of all 7th defensemen or worse, (Stone, Kylington, MacDonald, Davidson) I just don't see how that makes us better.

Having a 3rd pairing that you can't give a regular shift too makes this team much worse.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If we move Brodie we are stuck with a 3rd pairing of all 7th defensemen or worse, (Stone, Kylington, MacDonald, Davidson) I just don't see how that makes us better.

Having a 3rd pairing that you can't give a regular shift too makes this team much worse.

Brodie away from Giordano is cringe.  

Just now, The_People1 said:

Brodie away from Giordano is cringe.  

He is still better than the 4 defensemen I listed by a very large margin.