Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If we move Brodie we are stuck with a 3rd pairing of all 7th defensemen or worse, (Stone, Kylington, MacDonald, Davidson) I just don't see how that makes us better.

 

Having a 3rd pairing that you can't give a regular shift too makes this team much worse.

 

I do agree that Stone as the regular 3rd pairing RD makes zero sense.

That is what we have for depth besides a young guy with 5 years pro experience (Kylington), a finge player that has loked good at times (Davidson), and AMac.

 

Consider that next season we will not have both Brodie and Hamonic.

We have to deal with it sooner or later.

Make no trades and we might be able to sign Tkachuk on a bridge deal.

End of the season, we have not fixed the problem and lose Brodie for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I do agree that Stone as the regular 3rd pairing RD makes zero sense.

That is what we have for depth besides a young guy with 5 years pro experience (Kylington), a finge player that has loked good at times (Davidson), and AMac.

 

Consider that next season we will not have both Brodie and Hamonic.

We have to deal with it sooner or later.

Make no trades and we might be able to sign Tkachuk on a bridge deal.

End of the season, we have not fixed the problem and lose Brodie for nothing.

 

We have Valimaki back next season and I think Hamonic will get re-signed. Losing Brodie isn't really an issue for a contending team. Going into the season with a 3rd pairing of Kylington, Stone, MacDonald takes us out of contending status IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about talking to WPG about taking Brodie?

Big Buff may not be an option this year.

Brodie for Roslovic and Poolman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, travel_dude said:

How about talking to WPG about taking Brodie?

Big Buff may not be an option this year.

Brodie for Roslovic and Poolman.

 

Brodie + Frolik + Dube for Laine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JTech780 said:

 

We have Valimaki back next season and I think Hamonic will get re-signed. Losing Brodie isn't really an issue for a contending team. Going into the season with a 3rd pairing of Kylington, Stone, MacDonald takes us out of contending status IMO.

 

Like it or not, we have a 3rd pairing with one of those three in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

Brodie + Frolik + Dube for Laine

 

Personally, I think the coach is ruining that team.

How many players seem to want to defect?

Trouba.

Roslovic.

Buff.

 

That's just the ones that have asked for a trade or are considering options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

Like it or not, we have a 3rd pairing with one of those three in it.

 

And that is fine as Brodie or Andersson can anchor the 3rd pairing, my preference would be MacDonald as the partner. Having a 3rd pairing with nobody you can count on spells disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

 

And that is fine as Brodie or Andersson can anchor the 3rd pairing, my preference would be MacDonald as the partner. Having a 3rd pairing with nobody you can count on spells disaster.

 

I have no clue what we are trying to do.

If AMac isn't capable of playing as a trusted vet, he should not be here.

If Stone isn't capable of the same, why is he here?

 

If we expect their D partner to carry them, it's going to be a long season and short playoff run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Personally, I think the coach is ruining that team.

How many players seem to want to defect?

Trouba.

Roslovic.

Buff.

 

That's just the ones that have asked for a trade or are considering options.

 

Let's get Laine if he's available for Brodie + Dube.  The Jets will have to take Frolik and maybe Jankowski to make the cap work for us.

 

Let's put an end to this "played a great game but couldn't finish" behind us.  We get the best shot and finish in the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

Let's get Laine if he's available for Brodie + Dube.  The Jets will have to take Frolik and maybe Jankowski to make the cap work for us.

 

Let's put an end to this "played a great game but couldn't finish" behind us.  We get the best shot and finish in the NHL.

I agree with the sentiment, but any trade for Laine likely starts with Anderson, not Brodie.  They will want a solid RD with term, and he's the only one we've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

Trade Backlund for picks and get this over with,send Czarnik with him.

 

Why?

the cap savings?

 

who will center line 2? Lindholm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Why?

the cap savings?

 

who will center line 2? Lindholm?

We cant afford him any longer and he has real value. Replace him with Bennett and keep Tkachuk LW and Frolik RW maybe we will find out it Backlund that has held this line back offensively. What's the worse that can happen Bennett gets Backlund's 20 goals for half the price. Frees up 5.5M and Bennett get the opportunity he has always wanted, let's see what he does with it. Down the middle we would have Monahan, Bennett, Ryan and Jankowski with Dube and a few other good Centers in the making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Brodie + Frolik + Dube for Laine

Ahhh watching Dube He's a keeper.

Laine can you imagine his whining if he couldn't play with JG and Mony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Ahhh watching Dube He's a keeper.

Laine can you imagine his whining if he couldn't play with JG and Mony.

 

Well, Dube killed it last year in camp.

Didn't translate year 1.

Making a case for year 2.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

We cant afford him any longer and he has real value. Replace him with Bennett and keep Tkachuk LW and Frolik RW maybe we will find out it Backlund that has held this line back offensively. What's the worse that can happen Bennett gets Backlund's 20 goals for half the price. Frees up 5.5M and Bennett get the opportunity he has always wanted, let's see what he does with it. Down the middle we would have Monahan, Bennett, Ryan and Jankowski with Dube and a few other good Centers in the making.

 

I like the idea, I just wonder whether others here do. I know that doesn't matter. I like Backlund and I think maybe making 500K or more less would be more ideal. He could be up to 1m over paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Well, Dube killed it last year in camp.

Didn't translate year 1.

Making a case for year 2.

 

 

 

Yup, I think that the problem is the NHL is a really good league. He can definitely keep up and does things well. I just want to see him not get knocked around as much as he did last year. He isn't soft, but his ability to hold onto the puck and his size makes him easily knocked off and which kind of led to his early injury last year. He might be one that gets the up and down call-ups this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

We cant afford him any longer and he has real value. Replace him with Bennett and keep Tkachuk LW and Frolik RW maybe we will find out it Backlund that has held this line back offensively. What's the worse that can happen Bennett gets Backlund's 20 goals for half the price. Frees up 5.5M and Bennett get the opportunity he has always wanted, let's see what he does with it. Down the middle we would have Monahan, Bennett, Ryan and Jankowski with Dube and a few other good Centers in the making.

 

Backlund is one of the better NHL players 5 on 5. He plays the hard minutes against the other teams top lines, yet he still consistently outscores the opposition.  He also elevates his team mates with the 'Backlund bump.'  There are very few players that haven't had success as his winger, and some exceptionally so (see Colborne, Bouma, etc).  Meanwhile Bennett still needs to prove his is a positive NHLer.  He plays sheltered minutes, is usually a weight on his line, and this while he plays the sheltered easy minutes.  

 

I would like to see Backlund moved to the third line and away from Tkachuk (who has more offensive upside).  Coaches usually plan lines in pairs.  I think Gaudreau/Monahan, Lindholm/Tkachuk, Backlund/Frolik, and Lucic/Ryan provide a solid foundation down the middle and on the wing.  That leaves an army of wingers like Bennett, Dube, Czarnik, Mangiapane, Quine, etc to fill in the rest.  I also think you can move Ryan or Lucic up as needed to get them more minutes and add some extra spice to the lines.  

 

But the Flames can't afford to simply lose Backlund.  That would remove our luxury of getting our top line the offensive starts, further weaken a centre position that needs an upgrade, and really damage our depth (which was one of our two major issues last season).  

 

If we end up needing to clear cap then getting rid of Jankowski or even Bennett makes a lot more sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Friedman Flames asked about Julius Honka (Dallas D man who asked for a trade) but doesn't think it's recent.

 

If he is cheap (ie mid round pick or B/lower prospect) I'd make that move. Flames can use people in his age range on D. given he thinks it wasn't a recent conversation it would make more sense why Stone was signed so not sure this is still on the table. 

 

Quote

12. As reported previously, both Carolina and Montreal are among teams looking closely at Dallas’s Julius Honka. I’d heard Calgary was, too, but that does not appear recent. Expect the Flames to be very careful with Juuso Valimaki. They will not rush him back. Long career ahead of him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

According to Friedman Flames asked about Julius Honka (Dallas D man who asked for a trade) but doesn't think it's recent.

 

If he is cheap (ie mid round pick or B/lower prospect) I'd make that move. Flames can use people in his age range on D. 

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

 

I don't like Honka but i do like that BT did his job and asked what it would cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

According to Friedman Flames asked about Julius Honka (Dallas D man who asked for a trade) but doesn't think it's recent.

 

If he is cheap (ie mid round pick or B/lower prospect) I'd make that move. Flames can use people in his age range on D. given he thinks it wasn't a recent conversation it would make more sense why Stone was signed so not sure this is still on the table. 

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

 

I read  rumour that the Flames were talking with the Devils about Coleman for Brodie about 3 days ago.

Not sure if I trust the source, since it mentioned a SN writer, but couldn't track down where he specifically mentioned this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I read  rumour that the Flames were talking with the Devils about Coleman for Brodie about 3 days ago.

Not sure if I trust the source, since it mentioned a SN writer, but couldn't track down where he specifically mentioned this.

 

Luke Fox, although apparently he just mentioned Brodie on the block and the Devils having interest. Not sure where Coleman came from.

 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-calgary-flames-and-new-jersey.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Luke Fox, although apparently he just mentioned Brodie on the block and the Devils having interest. Not sure where Coleman came from.

 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-calgary-flames-and-new-jersey.html

 

Must be his speculation.  Makes sense that you target a multi-position player, I guess.  Coleman had a decent season; 22 goals (-19 though).

I don't know he would be the right player, but the cap works for both.

Zacha is close to the same cost, but they just re-signed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I read  rumour that the Flames were talking with the Devils about Coleman for Brodie about 3 days ago.

Not sure if I trust the source, since it mentioned a SN writer, but couldn't track down where he specifically mentioned this.

 

I don't know much of Coleman but I do like the Flames are exploring trading Brodie.  I feel Kylington is just as bad but at least 25% of Brodie's cap hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kehatch said:

 

Backlund is one of the better NHL players 5 on 5. He plays the hard minutes against the other teams top lines, yet he still consistently outscores the opposition.  He also elevates his team mates with the 'Backlund bump.'  There are very few players that haven't had success as his winger, and some exceptionally so (see Colborne, Bouma, etc).  Meanwhile Bennett still needs to prove his is a positive NHLer.  He plays sheltered minutes, is usually a weight on his line, and this while he plays the sheltered easy minutes.  

 

I would like to see Backlund moved to the third line and away from Tkachuk (who has more offensive upside).  Coaches usually plan lines in pairs.  I think Gaudreau/Monahan, Lindholm/Tkachuk, Backlund/Frolik, and Lucic/Ryan provide a solid foundation down the middle and on the wing.  That leaves an army of wingers like Bennett, Dube, Czarnik, Mangiapane, Quine, etc to fill in the rest.  I also think you can move Ryan or Lucic up as needed to get them more minutes and add some extra spice to the lines.  

 

But the Flames can't afford to simply lose Backlund.  That would remove our luxury of getting our top line the offensive starts, further weaken a centre position that needs an upgrade, and really damage our depth (which was one of our two major issues last season).  

 

If we end up needing to clear cap then getting rid of Jankowski or even Bennett makes a lot more sense.  

I'm aware of that but this team can't afford him anymore, just like TOR had to unload Bozak and JVR to move into the future. Get 1 more year out of Frolik to support Bennett and Tkachuk then get rid of both Bennett and Frolik after this season if it does work. Bennett is priced as a 3rd liner so he can be bumped down after this season if still no uptick to his  offense, time to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...