The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He made the other players look worse than they were.

Beat to the puck by small AHL players.

Checked off the puck.

Nothing good last night.

Saying that, he would have more value when combined with Brodie.

Still a few teams that are shallow on D, so we might be able to combine the two for a good player, at a slightly lower cap.

I think the trade Brodie ship has sailed. Between the Valimaki injury and the bridge deal for Tkachuk I doubt they trade Brodie at this point. Maybe they make a trade in season depending how Andersson and Kylington do, but not now. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

FWIW I thought Jankowski was the worst player on the ice last night. 

Flames seem poised to have Ryan as the 3rd line center this year and Jankowski really seems to be on the outs from a roster perspective. I don’t think Jankowski nets you very much but it’s likely he gets to an asset of some kind and I don’t think any other trade candidate does. 

Can’t agree, he was strong enough, along with his line, especially in the 1st.  

2 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

The Bennett-Backlund-Frolik line has looked very good.  I wonder if BP might put Tkachuk with Lindholm?  

I hope so, at some point. But given the limited preseason left I think you see the standard top 6 to start. The one exception might be Bennett in for Frolik. I wouldn't, but it won't surprise me if that occurs. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I hope so, at some point. But given the limited preseason left I think you see the standard top 6 to start. The one exception might be Bennett in for Frolik. I wouldn't, but it won't surprise me if that occurs. 

I think Bennett has looked better than Frolik at this point.

I think there is a chance that Frolik is still moved, but now that Calgary doesn't have to move him, Treliving gets a bit more leverage in negotiations.

IMO if you play Bennett on that 2nd line he gives you as much offense as Frolik, with a reasonable chance to expect more offense.

That makes Frolik a luxury, but if you play Frolik lower in the lineup you risk pissing him and his agent off.

I really liked the Bennett-Backs-Frolik line last night. I think this normally happens with Bennett, when you believe in him and put him in a good spot he looks very good. I think Peters needs to find a way to keep that going and stop bouncing him around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I really liked the Bennett-Backs-Frolik line last night. I think this normally happens with Bennett, when you believe in him and put him in a good spot he looks very good. I think Peters needs to find a way to keep that going and stop bouncing him around. 

I agree. There was talk about Tkachuk being tried on the right side of Monahan and Gaudreau, which would open a possibility of a Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm 2nd line.

I really think Bennett is poised and ready for a break out, as long as Peters gives him that chance.

They started last season with Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett. It wasn't good and they eventually returned Frolik to the top line. It looks fine in the preseason playing against AHLers. But how does it look when squared up against the leagues best in our defensive zone? 

I am not saying it can't work. But it didn't last season. 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I agree. There was talk about Tkachuk being tried on the right side of Monahan and Gaudreau, which would open a possibility of a Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm 2nd line.

I really think Bennett is poised and ready for a break out, as long as Peters gives him that chance.

The guys that have worked on the top line have all been strong defensively. Hudler, Ferland, Lindholm. I don't know if Bennett it a good fit there. That said, I prefer him there then on the Backlund line. But only if your doing it to spread out across three lines. I don't know you solve much moving Lindholm to the Backlund line. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

The guys that have worked on the top line have all been strong defensively. Hudler, Ferland, Lindholm. I don't know if Bennett it a good fit there. That said, I prefer him there then on the Backlund line. But only if your doing it to spread out across three lines. I don't know you solve much moving Lindholm to the Backlund line. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube/Lindholm

Tkachuk-Lindholm/Dube-Mangiapanne/Czarnik/Jankowski

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Jankowski/Czarnik

8 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

I could get behind that, was thinking something similar.  Dube didn't look out of place on that top line, and I think Bennett's game is a good compliment to Backlund and Frolik.

At this point I don't think Dube is starting the year in Calgary. I think he is heading to Stockton. 

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think the trade Brodie ship has sailed. Between the Valimaki injury and the bridge deal for Tkachuk I doubt they trade Brodie at this point. Maybe they make a trade in season depending how Andersson and Kylington do, but not now. 

It may have sailed or just put into port.

Obviously, you can't just trade Brodie for a forward and expect to be fine on the backend.

What you can do is get a lesser D as part of a deal.

A 3rd pairing RD with skills at least better than Stone.

That's a lengthy list.

Brodie+Janko (maybe + pick) for 3rd pairing D + top 6 RW.

This is as much about getting value for a player you probably don't re-sign next season.

I would say that the Faulk trade at least sets the upper value for a trade of Brodie.

CAR got back a young D plus a prospect.

Had CAR included a C, the return would have been more.

52 minutes ago, kehatch said:

If the Flames run 22 players they can get around 130k under the cap. That isn't enough. So who do they move? My take on the likely players (in order) :

Jankowski: They can probably get a mid round pick for Jankowski. If they replace him with Quine they save almost a million on the cap. 

Czarnik: I don't think they get much for Czarnik, but they can probably move his salary. It only saves us around half a million, but that might be enough. 

Bennett: They have been showcasing him all preseason, and given his playoffs he might have a bit of value. Not sure you can move him on a straight cap dump, but you might get a second round pick and a depth player. 

Frolik: Given his cap hit I don't think Frolik has a bunch of value. If he did he probably would have been moved in the summer. He probably has more value to the Flames then they get back. But given the tensions last season and being on the last year of his contract he is a possibility. 

Ryan: This one is a bit of a leap because I think the Flames, and the coach, like him. I also don't think he gets you much of a return. But he is paid too much to play on the fourth line, even with his versatility. 

My guess is they trade Jankowski, sign Reider and MacDonald, and demote Dube and Kylington. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik 

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett

Mangiapane-Quine-Czarnik

Rieder 

Giordano-Brodie

Hanafin-Hamonic

MacDonald-Andersson

Stone

Rittich 

Talbot 

Pretty much what I was looking at for lines, except I'd switch Czarnik and Rieder. Rieder was alot more noticeable so far with his speed and the PK experience.  I would even say trade off Czarnik for whatever you can get and have someone like Dube, Froese, Pospisil or Ruzicka stay as the 13th F.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

At this point I don't think Dube is starting the year in Calgary. I think he is heading to Stockton. 

I almost get the impression that last night's game was a last chance for Dube.

Czarnik is giving me that same impression.

Waiving him (probably doesn't clear) clears a bit over a million, and the replacement with Quine or signing Rieder for $700k is not trivial.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I almost get the impression that last night's game was a last chance for Dube.

Czarnik is giving me that same impression.

Waiving him (probably doesn't clear) clears a bit over a million, and the replacement with Quine or signing Rieder for $700k is not trivial.

The wheeling-dealing may still happen, but at least now the pressure is off so BT can better make an actual hockey trade.  If either Lindholm/Jankowski/Dube can elevate to a line with Tkachuk it opens up tons of internal possibilities and spreads the offensewhich should be better overall.  

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Brouwer was released from his PTO.

Revolving door of Flames players?

Sure...   Works for me...   The revolving door can spit Brouwer out in Edmonton...   The Coilers can have him too...

14 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

I actually think you can get more depth with this lineup and it has been something I wished they’d have tried last year. I am with you and think they can have three lines that are a threat. Only thing different I thought was getting Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm. But I like your thoughts more....

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I actually think you can get more depth with this lineup and it has been something I wished they’d have tried last year. I am with you and think they can have three lines that are a threat. Only thing different I thought was getting Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm. But I like your thoughts more....

If Peters would use Tkachuk as the player to play his off wing this team likely sets up better by keeping most players where they belong.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Frolik

Mangiapane, Ryan, Lindholm

Lucic, Jankowski, Smith-Pelley or Reider

Quine, Czarnik

• Like 1

What do you guys think the Winnipeg Jets are doing?  Are they a playoff team without Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, and Byfuglien?  And if they miss Connor and Laine for half the season?  Should they just go full rebuild?

I don't think the Jets fans will accept a full rebuild if the team is unable to sign the likes of Connor and Laine. They might look at a retool by trading one of Laine or Connor and trying to bring in more help, but I don't see a full on rebuild with the likes of Schiefle, Wheeler, Ehlers, and Little in place.

The biggest issue I see for the Jets right now is on D unless they get Buff back. 

4 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I don't think the Jets fans will accept a full rebuild if the team is unable to sign the likes of Connor and Laine. They might look at a retool by trading one of Laine or Connor and trying to bring in more help, but I don't see a full on rebuild with the likes of Schiefle, Wheeler, Ehlers, and Little in place.

The biggest issue I see for the Jets right now is on D unless they get Buff back. 

I think the Jets were pretty far along in their development after leaving Atlanta.

Since then, they have drafted smartly, developed players well and managed salary fairly well.

The issues have been with a select few players.

Kane creating problems; they managed to get out of that quite well.

Trouba becomming a issue to the point of being foreced to move him.

Myers walking to UFA.

Laine wanting bigger minutes and a decent pay.

Connor deserving a decent raise.

The coach plays a big part in player contentment.

They don't realy need a rebuild. Most of their forwrad crop isn't old and they've got a couple of younger pieces on D in Niku and Pionk who appear to have decent potential. they also draft and develop well.

I could see them maybe missing the playoffs is Buff does not return but i could see their D being fine in a season with some growth from Niku and Pionk. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What do you guys think the Winnipeg Jets are doing?  Are they a playoff team without Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, and Byfuglien?  And if they miss Connor and Laine for half the season?  Should they just go full rebuild?

D is going to be their  fix now area even if Buff pulls a Neidermeyer and decides to come back after the season starts. The best bet on replacing Buff is trading away Laine. Theres probably a few teams that will pay for his goals but he's wearing out his welcome with each passing day. The Connor negotiations have been pretty quiet in comparison, alot of people inthe dark on what the hold up there is.