Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

D is going to be their  fix now area even if Buff pulls a Neidermeyer and decides to come back after the season starts. The best bet on replacing Buff is trading away Laine. Theres probably a few teams that will pay for his goals but he's wearing out his welcome with each passing day. The Connor negotiations have been pretty quiet in comparison, alot of people inthe dark on what the hold up there is.

 

We can give them Brodie and Janko for a D and F.

Roslovic and Poolman.

We'll even throw in a pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Jets had the best RHS RD in the NHL and now, it's gone.  

 

Thats the cost of playing hardball. Too many sliders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

We can give them Brodie and Janko for a D and F.

Roslovic and Poolman.

We'll even throw in a pick.

Roslovic seems to be affected by the "I should be getting more icetime"  flu that seems common around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Roslovic seems to be affected by the "I should be getting more icetime"  flu that seems common around here.

 

That's why I suggested him in trade.

TBH, I just picked two players that I feel have some upside.

Watching the Jets broadcast, Poolman might be a player they really want to keep, but who knows.

Have to pay to get.

The other reason I suggested the pair was that the Jets don' really want to go back to rebuilding the D.

Without Buff, Trouba, Chariot and Myers, they lost most of their veteran depth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

That's why I suggested him in trade.

TBH, I just picked two players that I feel have some upside.

Watching the Jets broadcast, Poolman might be a player they really want to keep, but who knows.

Have to pay to get.

The other reason I suggested the pair was that the Jets don' really want to go back to rebuilding the D.

Without Buff, Trouba, Chariot and Myers, they lost most of their veteran depth. 

 

If it were tohappen, I could only see them offering picks and maybe someone like appleton.

 

PS  I didnt realize Porier was in Jets camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

That's why I suggested him in trade.

TBH, I just picked two players that I feel have some upside.

Watching the Jets broadcast, Poolman might be a player they really want to keep, but who knows.

Have to pay to get.

The other reason I suggested the pair was that the Jets don' really want to go back to rebuilding the D.

Without Buff, Trouba, Chariot and Myers, they lost most of their veteran depth. 

 

I wonder if Buff is on a personal strike protesting the dismantling of a potential cup contender 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is suspending Byfuglien a way to circumvent the cap?  And then he magically "un-retires" in December?

 

 

Maybe, but could he not go on a personal leave which would then be like LTIR? Or does he have to be suspended? 

 

Maybe he doesnt like Winnipeg either and wants a move? But I guess there are trades to be had if that were the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not read into the whole buff situation in depth so I don't know all the answers.

 

My understanding is that personal leave for varying reasons does not count as injured reserve. The definition of personal leave is to take time for something they need to do. Players often take personal leave for severe illness in the family, new child born, or what have you. From what little I have read, Buff is having issues mentally around the game itself as a whole which might be linked to physical play. As there is no specific inclusion in the CBA around personal days or mental health, it is up to the team to grant the leave on a case by case basis. Personal leave does not provide cap space at all. Typically it is such a short term situation that it doesn't affect teams anyways. If however Buff is considering his future in general within the sport, he is still officially under contract and thus getting paid. The only way to avoid this payment is to suspend a player, which to my understanding, the forfeited money like all suspensions goes to the NHLPA support funds. Suspended players do provide temporary cap relief for those games which they are suspended. Their full cap returns upon completion of said suspension and the team must become cap compliant again, similar to LTIR.

 

Using this as cap circumvention would not be intelligent in this case as Buff is actually a very good D man. Their D corps is significantly reduced this year so trying to circumvent with him makes no sense. On the other hand, had the Flames done the same thing with Neal this year, or do it with Lucic, or Vancouver with Eriksson (underperforming, big salary players) then I would consider that circumvention. In this case, I think it is all on Buff, not on the team at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Makes sense to me, especially if a player like Frolik or Jankowski are on their way out the door. Rieder improves the PK with his speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CheersMan said:

what a steal!

 

Zero risk, and if he can replace what we lost with Hathaway on the PK, it's well worth the cap hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

 

Amazing. I like the pickup. He’s got the speed but he seriously needs to be working with someone on his finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

Zero risk, and if he can replace what we lost with Hathaway on the PK, it's well worth the cap hit.

 

The PK is the big one for me. Calgary was an elite team 5 on 5, but our special teams were poor. Especially the PK. 

 

Last year out regular forwards on the PK were Lindholm, Jankowski, Ryan, Hathaway, and Backlund. We lost Hathaway and I won't be shocked to lose Jankowski. Ryan and Lindholm are sticking around, but weren't great on the PK. 

 

This is a good add. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

 

I'm tellin' ya, if the boys don't make the playoffs, it's pretty obvious whose fault that will be. 

 

Love. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Is suspending Byfuglien a way to circumvent the cap?  And then he magically "un-retires" in December?

 

Byfuglien has been suspended without pay. So in order for this to be a plan to circumvent the cap he would need to willingly give up million of dollars off his contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

 

I'm tellin' ya, if the boys don't make the playoffs, it's pretty obvious whose fault that will be. 

 

Love. 

 

If Edmonton doesn’t make the playoffs again, it’s Rieder’s fault. They still won’t have his 15 goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

If Edmonton doesn’t make the playoffs again, it’s Rieder’s fault. They still won’t have his 15 goals. 

 

This year it will be Jurko's fault.

He drank the water.

He replaced Rieder.

Neal should have some fault too, since he's expected to score 15 PP goals.

And a total of 25 goals.

Any less than 20, and he will wear the horns.

 

What I find amazing is that Neal will be playing with their best 2-way C Nuge.

That would be like playing Neal with Backlund and expecting him to play defensively or face the other team's best.

 

Back to trades.

WPG is suffering.

They need help, so we ought to be making a trade with them.

We'll give you Janko for Roslovic.

Then we can talk about a Brodie trade for something else.

Have to include a RD coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

This year it will be Jurko's fault.

He drank the water.

He replaced Rieder.

Neal should have some fault too, since he's expected to score 15 PP goals.

And a total of 25 goals.

Any less than 20, and he will wear the horns.

 

What I find amazing is that Neal will be playing with their best 2-way C Nuge.

That would be like playing Neal with Backlund and expecting him to play defensively or face the other team's best.

 

Back to trades.

WPG is suffering.

They need help, so we ought to be making a trade with them.

We'll give you Janko for Roslovic.

Then we can talk about a Brodie trade for something else.

Have to include a RD coming back.

 

Haha, I was playing along with Heartbreaker’s joke.

 

i wonder if we will make a deal... BT said that the conversations with other GMs has changed. He’s not in a corner anymore. Thank god Point signed his deal because my bet is that Tkachuk was probably one or two mill from the final number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Haha, I was playing along with Heartbreaker’s joke.

 

i wonder if we will make a deal... BT said that the conversations with other GMs has changed. He’s not in a corner anymore. Thank god Point signed his deal because my bet is that Tkachuk was probably one or two mill from the final number. 

 

So was I.

Some of it is real too.

They have great expectations that seem unreasonable just because they have McD and Draisaitl.

Their D is actually worse this year.

Bear is the new stud that has expectations, along with Nygard and Jurko.

Just because they scored like Rattie did last year.

 

Trades - what to do.

Janko and Czarnik are the most expendable.

9 teams over the cap needing to put guys on LTIR.

A few rebuilders.

A few teams with meh defense or ones that didn't improve this summer.

CBJ is a study in lost talent.

Their D is pretty decent, but the F are a bunch of grinders.

A 2 for 1 deal with them makes sense.

Janko + Frolik for Anderson or Bjorkstrand?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

Byfuglien has been suspended without pay. So in order for this to be a plan to circumvent the cap he would need to willingly give up million of dollars off his contract. 

Yep. This wasnt a way to get around the cap, the Jets have plenty of cap space. They are giving him all the time they need. This is a roster move to make sure the Jets keep all their options open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...