The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Brings the physical edge we need, probably starts the year in Stockton.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Brings the physical edge we need, probably starts the year in Stockton.

With Quine and Czarnik we have 14F.

Rinaldo and Rieder make 16.

Rinaldo will be waived to play in Stockton for sure.

Rieder will be here.

Does Czarnik or Quine get waived?

I don't think either would get claimed at this point.

Safest time to waive a player.

Czarnik would be waived to save cap.

TBH, I think Rieder ends up on the 4th line to start, so it comes down to who are the 13th and 14th forwards.

EDIT - Last night's game didn't look good for AMac.  The fact they have not announced a signing of him may be key.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, JTech780 said:

Interesting that Capfriendly does not show the Rieder transaction but it shows the Rinaldo one.!!

18 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Interesting that Capfriendly does not show the Rieder transaction but it shows the Rinaldo one.!!

The Calgary Flames announce today that they have signed forward Tobias Rieder to a one year, two-way contract.

I like the Ronaldo signing. In the playoffs you need that edge and a slight bit of unpredictability. We don’t need it as much in the regular season, but occasionally you do in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Adds depth, if we lose a Bennett or Lucic to injury Rinaldo can come up replace the physical presence in our lineup.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Rieder will be here.

TBH, I think Rieder ends up on the 4th line to start, so it comes down to who are the 13th and 14th forwards.

EDIT - Last night's game didn't look good for AMac.  The fact they have not announced a signing of him may be key.

Yeah, MacDonald had a really tough night last night. I had thought he had beat out Kylington till last night's game.

Still think it makes sense depth wise to sign him, start him on the team and send Kylington down to work on a few things and if MacDonald doesn't work send him down and bring up Kylington. At least we will have the depth in case of injuries.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, MacDonald had a really tough night last night. I had thought he had beat out Kylington till last night's game.

Still think it makes sense depth wise to sign him, start him on the team and send Kylington down to work on a few things and if MacDonald doesn't work send him down and bring up Kylington. At least we will have the depth in case of injuries.

I have nothing against signing AMac, but I don't think it's wise to start him in the NHL.

Kylington-Ras or Kylington-Stone is better than AMac-Ras or AMac-Stone, especially the latter.

AMac-Stone is likely the worst possible scenario I can think of.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have nothing against signing AMac, but I don't think it's wise to start him in the NHL.

Kylington-Ras or Kylington-Stone is better than AMac-Ras or AMac-Stone, especially the latter.

AMac-Stone is likely the worst possible scenario I can think of.

I would disagree, I just don't think Kylington is an NHL ready defenseman right now. The only thing Kylington does well is skate, the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. 

I am not saying MacDonald is the ideal choice, but between him and Kylington I would take MacDonald right now.

With both Rinaldo and Reider signed, the Flames are 2.1 mil over the cap. Sending Rinaldo down leaves another 1.4 to move. That likely means Dube as he is waiver excluded and one of Czarnik or Quine just to be cap compliant. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I like the Ronaldo signing. In the playoffs you need that edge and a slight bit of unpredictability. We don’t need it as much in the regular season, but occasionally you do in the playoffs. 

Ya man.  We need a dirty edge.  

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would disagree, I just don't think Kylington is an NHL ready defenseman right now. The only thing Kylington does well is skate, the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. 

I am not saying MacDonald is the ideal choice, but between him and Kylington I would take MacDonald right now.

I would need and expect to see a lot more of a separation between a 33 year old vet and a NHL rookie.

If getting beat to the puck gives you an edge, then AMac has it.

Overall he may be slightly a better defender today, but does he make Ras better or worse?

For depth, I would say he would be okay as a 7th D.

Same as Stone is okay depth.

We gave the keys to Stone last year over Ras, but Ras ended up passing him by a mile.

Kylington may be riskier than AMac, but it's nice to see a D-man be able to skate out of trouble.

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would need and expect to see a lot more of a separation between a 33 year old vet and a NHL rookie.

If getting beat to the puck gives you an edge, then AMac has it.

Overall he may be slightly a better defender today, but does he make Ras better or worse?

For depth, I would say he would be okay as a 7th D.

Same as Stone is okay depth.

We gave the keys to Stone last year over Ras, but Ras ended up passing him by a mile.

Kylington may be riskier than AMac, but it's nice to see a D-man be able to skate out of trouble.

This chart shows that Andersson and Prout were better without Kylington than they were with him.

kylinol97

Edit: Out of fairness I figured I should show MacDonald's WOWY chart. It shows that Guess got a bump from playing with MacDonald, but Ghost took a hit and Hagg stayed the same. A bit more of a mixed bag.

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/wowy/1819/PHI/macdoan86/wrap

Kylington/stone and mac donald are gonna cost us games.. play 5 d men until a decent one pops up on the waiver wire

Hopefully they never actually need to use Rinaldo and can pick up an NHL caliber version of that player during the season. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

This chart shows that Andersson and Prout were better without Kylington than they were with him.

kylinol97

Edit: Out of fairness I figured I should show MacDonald's WOWY chart. It shows that Guess got a bump from playing with MacDonald, but Ghost took a hit and Hagg stayed the same. A bit more of a mixed bag.

I get the reults from last year were less than ideal.

But, IIRC, the results in this pre-season were less ideal for AMac-Ras than they were Kyl-Ras.

Small sample size, but what else do we have to go by this year.

No word of a deal, which is strange considering they have to have their final roster by Tuesday.

Kylington and Dube don't require waivers, but Rieder, AMac, Czarnik and Quine do.

One would think that Quine, Dube and Kyl would be pretty simple decisions.

It might not be that simple for BT. 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get the reults from last year were less than ideal.

But, IIRC, the results in this pre-season were less ideal for AMac-Ras than they were Kyl-Ras.

Small sample size, but what else do we have to go by this year.

No word of a deal, which is strange considering they have to have their final roster by Tuesday.

Kylington and Dube don't require waivers, but Rieder, AMac, Czarnik and Quine do.

One would think that Quine, Dube and Kyl would be pretty simple decisions.

It might not be that simple for BT. 

I believe the team is on a team building retreat in the mountains currently, and they took all the players that were left in camp.

So they might be waiting till tomorrow to make some of the announcements.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Disagree, Kylington has been improving each year and made huge strides last season.  He’s more than ready.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

kylinol97

The chart also shows that with Kylington: Gaudreau-same, Monahan-better, Bennett-better, and Jankowski-better.  So what’s your point?  Nothing conclusive here.  The McDonald chart shows 6/13 players better with, 7/13 players worse.  

40 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Disagree, Kylington has been improving each year and made huge strides last season.  He’s more than ready.

He averaged under 13mins a night last year and was played in pretty much only offensive situations, yet he had mostly a negative impact on the game, finishing last amongst defenseman on the team in Corsi percentage. 

Having Kylington as the 6th defenseman means we have a defenseman that can't play a regular shift.

Again I don't think MacDonald is the answer, I just think he is better than Kylington.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He averaged under 13mins a night last year and was played in pretty much only offensive situations, yet he had mostly a negative impact on the game, finishing last amongst defenseman on the team in Corsi percentage. 

Having Kylington as the 6th defenseman means we have a defenseman that can't play a regular shift.

Again I don't think MacDonald is the answer, I just think he is better than Kylington.

The way this offseason has gone I wish we would have kept Fantenberg and Prout

I think you'll see Dube and Kylington sent to the farm .. If I was GM,, I'd play 5 d men.. and look for a decent number 6 to replace Stone and Mac on the cut down waiver wire

45 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

The way this offseason has gone I wish we would have kept Fantenberg and Prout

In hind sight yes, neither of the two were breaking the bank at $0.8 and $0.85. I believe Valimaki was very much in the fold when BT decided to let those two go, then the injury changed everything.   

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Rieder will be here.

Reider/bennett/ dube would make a hell of an energy line

3 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Reider/bennett/ dube would make a hell of an energy line

I think Dube suffers from what Rieder had last year.

Same thing as Bennett.

Predictable shot, handle it like a hot potato.

Get the shot off.

What do I know though.

Bennett and Dube both seem to hit the goalie or rush the 2nd chance and shovel it into the pads.

Bennett talked about shot mechanics and how he needs to change the angle.

Rieder's first goal last night was the type that can end up int the net.

Low enough to make it harder for a glove and high enough to avoid the legs.

And it wasn't telegraphed.