Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I think Dube suffers from what Rieder had last year.

Same thing as Bennett.

Predictable shot, handle it like a hot potato.

Get the shot off.

 

What do I know though.

Bennett and Dube both seem to hit the goalie or rush the 2nd chance and shovel it into the pads.

Bennett talked about shot mechanics and how he needs to change the angle.

Rieder's first goal last night was the type that can end up int the net.

Low enough to make it harder for a glove and high enough to avoid the legs.

And it wasn't telegraphed.

not all hockey players are offensively gifted.. these three muckers can harass the other team into putting the puck in their own net..

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Josh Ho-Sang heading to waivers for that crowd who has been interested. 

Today is the last day for placing someone on waivers if you need to assign them so probably see lots of activity today 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CheersMan said:

In hind sight yes, neither of the two were breaking the bank at $0.8 and $0.85. I believe Valimaki was very much in the fold when BT decided to let those two go, then the injury changed everything.   

I know but to watch them payout Stone and end up bringing him back is almost worth termination material. A means to another end but as a team we have not benefitted IMO.

Signing just Fantenberg would have been a good move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are we assuming it was the flames decision?

Going into the offseason Fantenberg would have been arguably their 5the best LS dman and that doesn’t even include the potential of them moving Brodie around. Fantenberg went to a team he actually has a chance to play on because until Valimaki got hurt he wasn’t going to play in Calgary. Players have a choice too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

A bit surprising. He has had a tough run of injuries.

 

Interested to see if anyone takes him. Talent wise I can see many teams wanting him but that’s a big ticket for a player like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Interested to see if anyone takes him. Talent wise I can see many teams wanting him but that’s a big ticket for a player like him. 

 

Yeah $3.36n for the next two years for a guy who has a career high of 35 points and 69 games in a season. That being said he has scored 23 goals in his last 79 games. We don't have room for him and he isn't really the type of player we need anyways. Vancouver should get together with the Islanders and swing a Hickey for Baerstchi trade, probably would help both teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curtis Lazar also on waivers in Buffalo to continue the theme of former Flames players not panning out elsewhere....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot plan your team this way, but seeing these options on waivers really makes me dislike the almost 3 mill ticket the Flames have in Cam Talbot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cross16 said:

You cannot plan your team this way, but seeing these options on waivers really makes me dislike the almost 3 mill ticket the Flames have in Cam Talbot.

 

 

 

I know man. What was the rush to sign Talbot anyways?  Who is making competing offers for Talbot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise here. 1 more move likely to come in order to get the Flames cap compliant. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

 

A bit surprising. He has had a tough run of injuries.

 

Interesting.  His entitlement attitude wears thin on teams.  Does he think he doesn't have to try during pre-season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You cannot plan your team this way, but seeing these options on waivers really makes me dislike the almost 3 mill ticket the Flames have in Cam Talbot.

 

 

 

DeSmith is the name that surprises me, he has been very good for Pittsburgh the last two seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Sprong on waivers is the biggest surprise of the day for me so far. Was inconsistent but looked good at times last year for  Anaheim and a prolific scorer in junior. 

 

I don't suspect the Flames will be players on anyone here but a few interesting names. Flames have the contract space but not sure they have the desire and they are also at the back of the line for priority. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting names on waivers today. The names that interest me the most are Gustav Forsling, Christian Djoos, Steven Santini, and Daniel Sprong.

 

I am curious if Djoos would be an upgrade on Kylington.

 

Sprong has a the skating ability and shot, but the fact that he can't seem to stick with Pittsburgh or Anaheim is a but troubling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CheersMan said:

In hind sight yes, neither of the two were breaking the bank at $0.8 and $0.85. I believe Valimaki was very much in the fold when BT decided to let those two go, then the injury changed everything.   

 

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I think Dube suffers from what Rieder had last year.

Same thing as Bennett.

Predictable shot, handle it like a hot potato.

Get the shot off.

 

What do I know though.

Bennett and Dube both seem to hit the goalie or rush the 2nd chance and shovel it into the pads.

Bennett talked about shot mechanics and how he needs to change the angle.

Rieder's first goal last night was the type that can end up int the net.

Low enough to make it harder for a glove and high enough to avoid the legs.

And it wasn't telegraphed.

OMGosh, I can’t believe you bunch of guys, all doom and gloom... this guy is no good, that guy is terrible, we should have kept these guys, and on and on.  Get a grip.  The Flames STILL have a very strong team, they brought in some of the stuff they were lacking, ie more speed and toughness, and didn’t lose a single key player off the roster (Hathaway?).  Take a couple deep breaths, the season will be here shortly.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

 

OMGosh, I can’t believe you bunch of guys, all doom and gloom... this guy is no good, that guy is terrible, we should have kept these guys, and on and on.  Get a grip.  The Flames STILL have a very strong team, they brought in some of the stuff they were lacking, ie more speed and toughness, and didn’t lose a single key player off the roster (Hathaway?).  Take a couple deep breaths, the season will be here shortly.  

 

Comments on a player's style or looks isn't doom and gloom or an indictment of the player.

Observations.

They also match the results, don't they.

 

I have high hopes for the season, but am also a realist.

Rah, rah isn't th only way to support a team.

Pointing out struggles is what we do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quine on waivers, so we know (so far), he is not one of the 14F.

Czarnik likely survived, though cap-wise it's a curious decision.

Dube and Kylington do not need waivers and AMac isn't officially part of the team yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Flames could get the Islanders to eat any piece of the Hickey contract.

 

3 more years at 2.5mill AAV is not ideal but with some young dmen up and coming having a really good stabilizing factor in Hickey to pair them with would be a real nice piece to add. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Quine on waivers, so we know (so far), he is not one of the 14F.

Czarnik likely survived, though cap-wise it's a curious decision.

Dube and Kylington do not need waivers and AMac isn't officially part of the team yet.

 

 

I wonder if the reason that we haven't heard anything one way or the other on MacDonald is because the team was waiting to see what shakes out on the waiver wire. 

 

The more I look at Santini he seems like he would be a solid pickup, he plays a physical style game from the back end, good size and is RHS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they are working on something else, very possible, I just can't see the Flames picking up a dman off waivers with a cap hit north of 1mill. Tough to do with the cap situation. 

 

If we really want to get crazy a scenario I would be for is a Brodie for F swap (assuming you save a little cap) and a Santini claim

 

Gio - andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Kylington - Santini

 

Don't dislike that D core. Unlikely to happen however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Comments on a player's style or looks isn't doom and gloom or an indictment of the player.

Observations.

They also match the results, don't they.

 

I have high hopes for the season, but am also a realist.

Rah, rah isn't th only way to support a team.

Pointing out struggles is what we do here.

Realism, for any team is no Stanley Cup and ups and downs throughout the season.  Same for all teams.  I guess the question is what a person focuses (comments) on.  No player is perfect, so it’s easy to build up, or tear them down, however you are so inclined.  I’m not seeing many positive, build up type comments but just the opposite.... hence my comment.  There will be ample opportunity to criticize every player come the season, just thinking it would nice to be positive at the start.  Of course, being negative at the start gives a guy the opportunity to say “I told you so” later on.... Can’t wait for Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Realism, for any team is no Stanley Cup and ups and downs throughout the season.  Same for all teams.  I guess the question is what a person focuses (comments) on.  No player is perfect, so it’s easy to build up, or tear them down, however you are so inclined.  I’m not seeing many positive, build up type comments but just the opposite.... hence my comment.  There will be ample opportunity to criticize every player come the season, just thinking it would nice to be positive at the start.  Of course, being negative at the start gives a guy the opportunity to say “I told you so” later on.... Can’t wait for Wednesday.

 

Or perhaps it's more about building a roster with the best players available.

Dube had an up and down camp, compared to a really good one last year.

Bennett has looked good, but admitted himself that his shot selection and mechanics were things he was working on.

Dube has had similar finish at times.

AMac was up and down, as was Kylington.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

 

OMGosh, I can’t believe you bunch of guys, all doom and gloom... this guy is no good, that guy is terrible, we should have kept these guys, and on and on.  Get a grip.  The Flames STILL have a very strong team, they brought in some of the stuff they were lacking, ie more speed and toughness, and didn’t lose a single key player off the roster (Hathaway?).  Take a couple deep breaths, the season will be here shortly.  

I'm not seeing any doom and gloom or negativity in my posts cccsberg. Maybe you meant to quote someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Canucks don't believe Baertschi will get claimed, which makes sense. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...