The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Sounds like Canucks don't believe Baertschi will get claimed, which makes sense. 

According to capfriendly, the Canucks are over the cap (but they have a ton of forwards listed.). So maybe it's cap related.  

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

According to capfriendly, the Canucks are over the cap (but they have a ton of forwards listed.). So maybe it's cap related.  

Well to a certain extent for sure it is as it will help them get under but they have other ways of doing that instead of burying over 2mill in the A.  The decision seems more centered on the idea they no longer want Baertschi in their lineup. 

Sprong might be worthwhile to claim off waivers.

Depth scoring and a RHS would not hurt too much, and he's only $750k.

Perhaps a bit more NHL ready than Dube, but have heard that he's a bit one-dimensional.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

Occupies 14th F spot.

Gets re-waived if he doesn;t work out.

ANA must not be too enthused with him.

EDIT - If my math is correct, we have 14F including Dube, taking away Quine and Rinaldo.

I don;t think we have to carry 22 and an injured Valimaki ro be compliant.  

On the radio here in the Vancouver area, Baertschi was passed by other players and Gaudette earned a spot. So basically bye bye Baer.

Eric Comrie and Carl Dahlstrom were the only players claimed on waivers today

I wonder if Nashville would consider a Jankowski for Santini trade. 

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Eric Comrie and Carl Dahlstrom were the only players claimed on waivers today

I wonder if Nashville would consider a Jankowski for Santini trade. 

Surprised that DeSmith was not claimed by ARI.

As far as WPG, does that really solve their defense problems?

What do you like about Santini that you give up a young-ish C for?

Not saying Janko has top talent value, but the return has to be more than a 7th D.

Is Santini even an improvement to Kylington or AMac?

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Surprised that DeSmith was not claimed by ARI.

As far as WPG, does that really solve their defense problems?

What do you like about Santini that you give up a young-ish C for?

Not saying Janko has top talent value, but the return has to be more than a 7th D.

Is Santini even an improvement to Kylington or AMac?

Santini is younger than Jankowski, he has size, can skate, plays physical, and is a RHS. I think Santini is an upgrade on Kylington, but I also don't think Kylington is an NHL defenseman.

As it stands right now our 6th defense spot is the weakest link on the team, neither Stone or Kylington should be playing a regular shift on contending team.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Santini is younger than Jankowski, he has size, can skate, plays physical, and is a RHS. I think Santini is an upgrade on Kylington, but I also don't think Kylington is an NHL defenseman.

As it stands right now our 6th defense spot is the weakest link on the team, neither Stone or Kylington should be playing a regular shift on contending team.

So, are you thinking that Ras would move up with Gio and Brodie down with Santini or Stone?

Or is playing two RHS's on the same pairing your preference?

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, are you thinking that Ras would move up with Gio and Brodie down with Santini or Stone?

Or is playing two RHS's on the same pairing your preference?

I would go with

Giordano-Andersson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Brodie-Santini

Stone

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

On the radio here in the Vancouver area, Baertschi was passed by other players and Gaudette earned a spot. So basically bye bye Baer.

They also talked about about the fact that he doesn’t kill penalties. Talked of his lack of versatility. Although I guess 20+ goals in his last 79 games isn’t very versatile.

my best is injury prone problems.

Winnipeg just lost another D-man to injury, they claimed one but this year they want to stay competitive. I wonder how much it would take/do they feel like they want to trade Laine.... Brodie, Jankowski, Czarnik and a first?  They have cap to take Frolik too.  Brodie, Frolik, Czarnik and a first for Laine??

• Haha 1

Remove the 1st and we can talk. 2 bonafide NHLers in Brodie/Frolik works for me. I'm not buying the Laine hype, at all. He has a shot, but then, he's not particularly good at anything. The league is catching up with him in a hurry. Ovechkin hype, the league plays you like the next Ovechkin, it's all over.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Remove the 1st and we can talk. 2 bonafide NHLers in Brodie/Frolik works for me. I'm not buying the Laine hype, at all. He has a shot, but then, he's not particularly good at anything. The league is catching up with him in a hurry. Ovechkin hype, the league plays you like the next Ovechkin, it's all over.

I do agree but hard not to imagine him on that right side....

Gaudreau Monahan Laine

Tkatchuk Lindholm Bennett

Mangiapane Backlund Lucic

Imo deadly... highly unlikely but if its out there it would be worth the shot

33 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

Winnipeg just lost another D-man to injury, they claimed one but this year they want to stay competitive. I wonder how much it would take/do they feel like they want to trade Laine.... Brodie, Jankowski, Czarnik and a first?  They have cap to take Frolik too.  Brodie, Frolik, Czarnik and a first for Laine??

We are trying to be competitive too, and our defense is looking a bit more suspect after losing Valimaki I don't think we have the depth to lose Brodie as well.

1 minute ago, Sobieit said:

I do agree but hard not to imagine him on that right side....

Gaudreau Monahan Laine

Tkatchuk Lindholm Bennett

Mangiapane Backlund Lucic

Imo deadly... highly unlikely but if its out there it would be worth the shot

At what price though? 2 solid roster players, a prospect? (Czarnik) and a 1st? No thanks. Not even maybe. The sum of those parts are worth more than one Laine. imho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

At what price though? 2 solid roster players, a prospect? (Czarnik) and a 1st? No thanks. Not even maybe. The sum of those parts are worth more than one Laine. imho.

Whether we package them for the chance at a superstar or we trade them separately I think realistically next year neither of these three players will be on the team.  I do agree with you, its a lot to give up... is Laine worth it... I donno, are there better players to get using these pieces?

Superstar? Laine isn't a superstar. He has a good shot, unbelievably compared to Ovechkin. The comparison ends there. When Ovechkin isn't getting chances, his intensity and physical game are terrifying. When Laine doesn't get his chances, the comparison is completely over.

In a nutshell, Ovechkin fights for his space, Laine, notsomuch.

• Like 1

The Flames have 11 contracts on the starting lineup this year that are up at the end of the season. They are slated at this time to have about 22 million to fill those 11 contracts. They also have 14 minor league contracts that are up. I am not positive that all of those contracts will be gone prior to the trade deadline, let alone after the season is over. I believe that it all depends on how the season is progressing. If the Flames are competing for top in conference going into playoffs, they likely maintain the primary pieces. Whether those players are re-signed in the summer depends on cap constraints and success in the playoffs.

Gilles is the only player I am willing to guarantee 99% that he is gone next year. It is likely that Frolik leaves in UFA and Brodie likely prices himself out of the Flames, but that is no guarantee. Hamonic likely takes a bit of a hometown discount to stay in western Canada. Talbot depends on performance and none of the others are big ticket performers so no big ticket price tags.

What the Flames do is a mystery, but with most contracts being RFA, including Andersson, keeping him 3rd pairing most of the season allows contract cap hit to stay limited. Therefore keeping Brodie top pair and Andersson third most of the season makes sense for negotiations. Andersson will get some chances to shine but will be held in top line reserve until he is re-signed to a better contract likely.  

I could easily be wrong, but it makes sense.

I don't see Laine as THE piece to swing the needle, so trading Brodie, Frolik + is too expensive and leaves too many holes for my taste.

1 hour ago, Sobieit said:

I would do Brodie and Janko for Poolman and Roslovic.

A young RHS D-man and a young RHS C/RW.

Gets rid of cap.

Helps WPG.

Helps us.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would do Brodie and Janko for Poolman and Roslovic.

A young RHS D-man and a young RHS C/RW.

Gets rid of cap.

Helps WPG.

Helps us.

Who is poolman? Lol 

nicknames for other teams players are lost on me hahaha

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Who is poolman? Lol 

He was a highly regarded prospect for the Jets out of college, hasn’t panned out for him yet at the NHL level but given how deep the Jets d was there weren’t an abundance of opportunities 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Superstar? Laine isn't a superstar. He has a good shot, unbelievably compared to Ovechkin. The comparison ends there. When Ovechkin isn't getting chances, his intensity and physical game are terrifying. When Laine doesn't get his chances, the comparison is completely over.

In a nutshell, Ovechkin fights for his space, Laine, notsomuch.

If the Flames trade for Laine, then we need to clear cap.  Brodie + Frolik is almost certainly the ones to go.  But two vets pending UFA is low trade value.  Flames need to add the 1st round pick (or Dube).  We probably picking 26th or worse.  Hopefully 31st overall.

Good trade for us.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Who is poolman? Lol 

We played against him in pre-season.

They relly talked him up.

I would prefer Nicu, but no way would that be a go.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We played against him in pre-season.

They relly talked him up.

I would prefer Nicu, but no way would that be a go.

Ohhhh I see. 

This year i didnt watch the pre-season as I figured they’d go with the status quo. I have looked out for the line combos and listen to the commentary. 

Its why I am thankful for the site, I get to trust in everyone’s opinions and observations.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ohhhh I see. 

This year i didnt watch the pre-season as I figured they’d go with the status quo. I have looked out for the line combos and listen to the commentary. 

Its why I am thankful for the site, I get to trust in everyone’s opinions and observations.

The Jets fans here could give a better opinion.

Ole' FF52 would have probably laughed my suggestion away.

I like what I saw of him.

Would prefer Niku, but that ain't happening.