The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I wouldn't give you mangiapane and Kylington for Laine.. I watched an interview last night with the winnepeg press and That kid just rubs me the wrong way.. I don't  think he's gonna last very long playing north american hockey.. I smell a nasty retribution slam into the boards in his future.. Even last year.. Ha had one good month , then coasted and pouted the rest of the year... He's make a great teammate in Toronto though.. I'd trade Nylander for him.. speaking of Winnepeg.. .. Dion Phaneuf???

Here’s a question that I think even Canucks fans would agree the answer is no to. Would you trade Rasmus Andersson for Sven Baertschi straight up now?

It’s amazing what a few years does to change the perception of a trade. I remember it being critiqued at the time as losing a 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder, and now I would consider that flipped.

17 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

Here’s a question that I think even Canucks fans would agree the answer is no to. Would you trade Rasmus Andersson for Sven Baertschi straight up now?

It’s amazing what a few years does to change the perception of a trade. I remember it being critiqued at the time as losing a 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder, and now I would consider that flipped.

Yup! We got a lot out of a few picks that draft. I am one that could eat crow as I liked Baertschi. But he had entitlement issues as I think the Flames blew too much smoke up his butt. He became hard to develop.

Ideally you’d want to be able to keep all of the picks. We got lucky in that draft and got both Ras and Kyl despite not having a 1st. 

If am correct, that’s the draft we could’ve had Barzal too, if we would have chosen him with that pick we traded. I think Travel put a total picks and players that were in play in those Hamilton trades and we still kind of came out behind there. 

I should let that die haha.

I think keeping picks and trading players like Baertschi for picks is good. Almost Everyone will eventually get dealt.

We did give up the 2nd in gambling on Lazar. I think either way we lost that one.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yup! We got a lot out of a few picks that draft. I am one that could eat crow as I liked Baertschi. But he had entitlement issues as I think the Flames blew too much smoke up his butt. He became hard to develop.

Ideally you’d want to be able to keep all of the picks. We got lucky in that draft and got both Ras and Kyl despite not having a 1st. 

If am correct, that’s the draft we could’ve had Barzal too, if we would have chosen him with that pick we traded. I think Travel put a total picks and players that were in play in those Hamilton trades and we still kind of came out behind there. 

I should let that die haha.

I think keeping picks and trading players like Baertschi for picks is good. Almost Everyone will eventually get dealt.

We did give up the 2nd in gambling on Lazar. I think either way we lost that one.

I'm not as concerned about the Dougie trade.  We gave up picks for a top D-man.  You do that every time you can.

BOS could have picked Barzal, we may not have.

As far as the 2018 draft pick for Hammer, I don't see anyone picked that looks that impressive.

Maybe they will turn out, maybe not.

I think the Ras and Kylington picks were pretty good.

I believe one was as a result of trading a 3rd to get them. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not as concerned about the Dougie trade.  We gave up picks for a top D-man.  You do that every time you can.

BOS could have picked Barzal, we may not have.

As far as the 2018 draft pick for Hammer, I don't see anyone picked that looks that impressive.

Maybe they will turn out, maybe not.

I think the Ras and Kylington picks were pretty good.

I believe one was as a result of trading a 3rd to get them. 

I think it might have been Kylington.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think it might have been Kylington.

When I look at the trade of picks in that draft it was crazy.

I can't even explain how we ended up with both, considering our 2nd was traded to BOS.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

When I look at the trade of picks in that draft it was crazy.

I can't even explain how we ended up with both, considering our 2nd was traded to BOS.

I think Baertschi was traded to recoup that pick and then when Kylington was still available after we went for it.

i trust these guys now to find NHL talent. It has been so refreshing that we can say that as an organization and fan base. So many years it has seemed futile. 

So now I wish there’d never trade picks to keep drafting talent. But I think trading a 1st really limits the ability to find top tier guys. We draft really well for depth players. 

I can see why skill is the most important criteria, speed is becoming the second most important. I say it is second because you could end up with all Rieder’s and May Rays who can skate but have limited finish.

the way we PK, I can see Rieder getting Byron kind of opportunities. Hope he can finish a few of them.

2015 was the year the Flames traded Glencross (2nd and 3rd rounder) and Baertschi at the deadline (2nd rounder). They dealt their own 1st/2nd rounders, plus the 2nd rounder from the Glencross deal to Boston for Hamilton.

when Kylington slid they packaged their own 3rd rounder with Washington's 3rd rounder from the Glencross deal to move up and get him. 

Unfortunately they did not have a 4th that year due to the TJ Galiardi trade. Normally 2 3rds to move up less than a round is an overpay. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

2015 was the year the Flames traded Glencross (2nd and 3rd rounder) and Baertschi at the deadline (2nd rounder). They dealt their own 1st/2nd rounders, plus the 2nd rounder from the Glencross deal to Boston for Hamilton.

when Kylington slid they packaged their own 3rd rounder with Washington's 3rd rounder from the Glencross deal to move up and get him. 

Unfortunately they did not have a 4th that year due to the TJ Galiardi trade. Normally 2 3rds to move up less than a round is an overpay. 

Thanks.

HockeyDB was confusing.  I figured GlenX was involved as well as the Baertschi trade.

Crazy to see that since 2013, start of the rebuild, we have the following:

one player from 2013 - Monahan

one player from 2014 - Bennett

three players from 2015 - Ras, Kyl and Mangiapane

Since then, the picks look better (too early to tell from most other than Tkachuk and Valimaki), but that is some poor results.

All but our top pick in the first two drafts have failed to crack the NHL as well.

I keep seeing Mark Pysyk's name in the rumour mills. What would it cost to bring him in? Frolik with cap retained for Pysyk? 

I could really get behind a Giordano-Andersson, Hanifin-Hamonic, Brodie-Pysyk, D core. Could basically run all 3 pairs with little to no drop off on any pairing.

Josh Ho-Sang has official asked for a trade and the Islanders have said they will accommodate. Not sure how they let it go this far and back themselves into a corner but that's just me.

Can't imagine the Flames are interested. Oilers should be if they were smart. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Josh Ho-Sang has official asked for a trade and the Islanders have said they will accommodate. Not sure how they let it go this far and back themselves into a corner but that's just me.

The only way I could see the Flames being interested is if it's a cap move, Czarnik for Ho-Sang saves about $400k in cap space.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I kind of feel like they’ve been in that corner for years now. I wonder if his attitude has changed. They mentioned on 31 Thoughts that they were going to try move him. They said still high talent, but in my view from what they said, it sounds like Ho-Sang missed a day of school in kindergarten when they were teaching how to play well with others. 

I wonder about it, as we seem to think SB doesn’t share enough, is that the same problem JH-S has?

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I kind of feel like they’ve been in that corner for years now. I wonder if his attitude has changed. They mentioned on 31 Thoughts that they were going to try move him. They said still high talent, but in my view from what they said, it sounds like Ho-Sang missed a day of school in kindergarten when they were teaching how to play well with others. 

I wonder about it, as we seem to think SB doesn’t share enough, is that the same problem JH-S has?

Not by the look of his assists vs goals through the years. Trade Mangiapane for him we could use the RHS-RW for our team.

It's not really an issue with selfishness with Ho-Sang. Multiple teammates in his past, or current for that matter, vouch for him.

It's an attitude decision. What knocked Ho-Sang in the past is some questionable, perhaps juvenile, behavior (ie missing alarms, brash quotes with the media) combined with the fact that to date he's been very reluctant to buy into a sound defensive game. He's a very high skilled player, but in the past he's shown no desire to be a smart player or fix some defensive issues. 

the reason I can't see the Flames being interested, is I don't see them wanting the downside with Ho-Sang which is the attitude. From what i've read he had a better camp and actually worked quite hard so perhaps maturity has set in. I like the player and would love the flyer (but i'm not giving up anyone off he roster for him) but comes down to their comfort with his attitude. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Maybe Hosang for Puljujarvi

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The only way I could see the Flames being interested is if it's a cap move, Czarnik for Ho-Sang saves about $400k in cap space.

The other thing about that move is that you have a player in the AHL vs a NHL salaried player.

Could evaluate him n the AHL as opposed to being afraid to expose him to waivers.

TBH, I would be more interested in a Sprong trade with ANA.

AT least he doesn;t have an attitude that is following him like a swarm of flies.

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Good suggestion

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's not really an issue with selfishness with Ho-Sang. Multiple teammates in his past, or current for that matter, vouch for him.

It's an attitude decision. What knocked Ho-Sang in the past is some questionable, perhaps juvenile, behavior (ie missing alarms, brash quotes with the media) combined with the fact that to date he's been very reluctant to buy into a sound defensive game. He's a very high skilled player, but in the past he's shown no desire to be a smart player or fix some defensive issues. 

the reason I can't see the Flames being interested, is I don't see them wanting the downside with Ho-Sang which is the attitude. From what i've read he had a better camp and actually worked quite hard so perhaps maturity has set in. I like the player and would love the flyer (but i'm not giving up anyone off he roster for him) but comes down to their comfort with his attitude. 

Attitudes can change with opportunity. Change of scenery. Change of situation. I'm sure you have heard these before.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Attitudes can change with opportunity. Change of scenery. Change of situation. I'm sure you have heard these before.

It can but when a player has been that way since he was a teenager there is a lot more risk. 

I can't say either way, i'm must saying there is risk to acquiring him and the decision would come down to how the organization views his attitude. My bet is the Flames will pass on him for those reasons is all i'm saying. I don't see Ho-Sang as a guy who is going to thrive under Peters because he won't fix the issues in his game that Peters will demand. Could be wrong but that's my bet. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It can but when a player has been that way since he was a teenager there is a lot more risk. 

I can't say either way, i'm must saying there is risk to acquiring him and the decision would come down to how the organization views his attitude. My bet is the Flames will pass on him for those reasons is all i'm saying. I don't see Ho-Sang as a guy who is going to thrive under Peters because he won't fix the issues in his game that Peters will demand. Could be wrong but that's my bet. 

I'm not saying they will or they won't go for Ho-Sang but we could use his speed and small size increase over Czarnik. for our RW. Inexpensive upgrade worth the risk IMO. Peters appears to want a fast skilled team which Ho-Sang brings.

• Like 1

Personally, I never really cared for Ho-Sang. But, Czarnik is expendable (not mangiapane) and I doubt he’ll be back with us next year anyway, so if there’s a trade there, make it.

The flip side is Puljajarvi for Ho-Sang (and Ho-Sang apparently has speed) seems like a perfect swap for both teams, so, if Czarnik gets it done, it keeps Ho-Sang away from the Oilers as well. 

34 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Personally, I never really cared for Ho-Sang. But, Czarnik is expendable (not mangiapane) and I doubt he’ll be back with us next year anyway, so if there’s a trade there, make it.

The flip side is Puljajarvi for Ho-Sang (and Ho-Sang apparently has speed) seems like a perfect swap for both teams, so, if Czarnik gets it done, it keeps Ho-Sang away from the Oilers as well. 

Is this not the reason they have Czarnik speed and offense, other than pre season he has been less than impressive. One I would not mind getting is Puljaravi to me he has far more upside than these two. 

On 10/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, cross16 said:

It appears to me that the Flames organization have been reluctant to acquire players with attitude problems. Too bad Neal came in with an attitude on day 1. I am not sure what his problem was, but he attended Phil Kessel's training camp which consisted of mowing down burgers and dogs.