The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Why not take a shot at Puljarvai? The kid is big and has some up side, you can't hold it against him he wanted out of the Coilerville. Give them their 3rd back you getting from Neal and B grade prospect. The kid can skate plays with an edge, kid can shoot and as some hockey sense and RW. Slot him in between Chucky and Backs, he is defensively sound. Hey the kid has something to prove, worth a shot. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well we can;t swing that deal.

Cap killer.

It has to be even going and coming.

Regarding your trade suggestion, that is not even close to what Ottawa (or SJS) traded him for.

And that was for a player with term.

He has none.

He's worth more than Frolik, but not Dube and a 1st.

Frolik and Janko perhaps.

We would need to even up the dollars to make it work.

Retain about 500k.

The thing is Frolik probably has no to negative value in this trade. He is just a cap swap.  If anything he brings negative value because Florida would most likely want to open up cap space, by trading Hoffman.

Like you said we probably aren't ideal trade partners unless we are willing to move a Brodie or Hamonic as part of the deal. The only way that makes sense is if we are getting Pysyk back as part of the deal as well.

Frolik

Brodie

2nd

Hoffman

Pysyk

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The thing is Frolik probably has no to negative value in this trade. He is just a cap swap.  If anything he brings negative value because Florida would most likely want to open up cap space, by trading Hoffman.

Like you said we probably aren't ideal trade partners unless we are willing to move a Brodie or Hamonic as part of the deal. The only way that makes sense is if we are getting Pysyk back as part of the deal as well.

Frolik

Brodie

2nd

Hoffman

Pysyk

That sure as heck works from a cap perspective.

I don't see a lot of FLA games, so I can't speak to Pysyk's game.

He's a RHS, so he could swap with Stone on the 3rd pairing with Kylington, but you need to move Ras to play with Gio.

Hoffman is a player we should have traded for back then.

The pending UFA status for our two and their two players is fine.

We would likely only extend Pysyk to be able to expose him anyway.

Hoffman would be a player worth extending.

Whether he played on the top line or 2M or with Bennett and Mangiapane, he's a finisher.

We lack that on the wing.

He also puts up PP points.

We need that.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The pending UFA status for our two and their two players is fine.

We would likely only extend Pysyk to be able to expose him anyway.

Hoffman would be a player worth extending.

Whether he played on the top line or 2M or with Bennett and Mangiapane, he's a finisher.

We lack that on the wing.

He also puts up PP points.

We need that.

Hoffman is a 35-goal and 70-point player.  That's going to cost around $7.5-mil-per to extend long term.  He's also turning 30 so he's probably looking for one more big time contract to set him up for life.  At least a 5-year deal.  Where do we have cap to extend him?  

Looking at our own cap situation, we have to extend Anderson and one of Hamonic/Brodie this summer.

For the record though, i wanted us to trade for Hoffman a year ago when his trade value was at all time lows.  The Sens took Boedker which means we could've had Hoffman for Frolik.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Why not take a shot at Puljarvai? The kid is big and has some up side, you can't hold it against him he wanted out of the Coilerville. Give them their 3rd back you getting from Neal and B grade prospect. The kid can skate plays with an edge, kid can shoot and as some hockey sense and RW. Slot him in between Chucky and Backs, he is defensively sound. Hey the kid has something to prove, worth a shot. 

Because they want Dube or equivalent from us for Puljujarvi.  

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hoffman is a 35-goal and 70-point player.  That's going to cost around $7.5-mil-per to extend long term.  He's also turning 30 so he's probably looking for one more big time contract to set him up for life.  At least a 5-year deal.  Where do we have cap to extend him?  

Looking at our own cap situation, we have to extend Anderson and one of Hamonic/Brodie this summer.

For the record though, i wanted us to trade for Hoffman a year ago when his trade value was at all time lows.  The Sens took Boedker which means we could've had Hoffman for Frolik.

That's a good question.

If we re-signed him to that number, we have some challenges.

Lucic's deal becomes more of an issue (as if it isn't right now).

Bennett and/or Janko may fall victim.

Or the cap goes up.

Come the time of the expansion draft, there may be a compliance buy out available.

Or the cap by then goes up significantly.

This isn't a James Neal type player.

Hoffman drives the play, doesn't coast on the backs if ither players.

The deal would take him to just past Backlund's, but at a similar age.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Because they want Dube or equivalent from us for Puljujarvi.  

agreed. if the price on Puljujarvi was as low as fans think it is he would be dealt by now. We don't think other teams have offered 3rd round picks and B prospects?

I'm all for the target but if the Oilers are willing to let him to go to Europe then either the price is high (which i would believe) or they've just flat out told Calgary they won't deal him here. It's also possible the Flames just have no interest, but given their pre draft interest I don't think this is as likely. Flames have tended to lean on their amateur scouting in pro acquisitions under Treliving. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If the price on Puljujarvi was as low as fans think it is he would be dealt by now. We don't think other teams have offered 3rd round picks and B prospects?

I'm all for the target but if the Oilers are willing to let him to go to Europe then either the price is high (which i would believe) or they've just flat out told Calgary they won't deal him here. It's also possible the Flames just have no interest, but given their pre draft interest I don't think this is as likely. Flames have tended to lean on their amateur scouting in pro acquisitions under Treliving. 

I'm not sure if you are saying Dube is a B prospect or saying that the price is higher than Dube.

I'm of the belief that Puljujarvi would do well here.

He might take some time to adjust to the structure, but he could fit well with Backlund.

I'm also of the belief that Dube would not do well in EDM, the way they are currently constructed.

They seem to be grinder/bangers in the bottom 6.

Dube doesn't fit that.

I somehow doubt that EDM and CGY make a trade in this circumstance.

At some point, his stock will diminish as he still doesn't want to play for the club that owns his rights and won't be in the NHL this season.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If the price on Puljujarvi was as low as fans think it is he would be dealt by now. We don't think other teams have offered 3rd round picks and B prospects?

Ya i understand you are very high on Dube and i'm luke warm at best.  I would trade Dube but not for Puljujarvi straight up.  I think Puljujarvi's a 2nd/3rd line RW will 50% chance to bust right out of the entire NHL.  Dube looks pretty safe bet to play in the NHL for 10 years as a 2nd line Center.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure if you are saying Dube is a B prospect or saying that the price is higher than Dube.

I'm of the belief that Puljujarvi would do well here.

He might take some time to adjust to the structure, but he could fit well with Backlund.

I'm also of the belief that Dube would not do well in EDM, the way they are currently constructed.

They seem to be grinder/bangers in the bottom 6.

Dube doesn't fit that.

I somehow doubt that EDM and CGY make a trade in this circumstance.

At some point, his stock will diminish as he still doesn't want to play for the club that owns his rights and won't be in the NHL this season.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya i understand you are very high on Dube and i'm luke warm at best.  I would trade Dube but not for Puljujarvi straight up.  I think Puljujarvi's a 2nd/3rd line RW will 50% chance to bust right out of the entire NHL.  Dube looks pretty safe bet to play in the NHL for 10 years as a 2nd line Center.

To clarify, i agree with Peeps. In order to deal Puljujarvi the Oilers are going to ask for a Dube level return (Gauthier for Puljujarvi is the popular rumor). I don't think Dube is a B level prospect and I also agree I would not make that swap straight up. 

Ottawa is said to be looking for forwards, and have recently put Anisimov and White on IR.

I wonder if moving a forward like Jankowski to them for some cap relief makes sense.

I would suggest Frolik, but I can't see him waiving his NTC to go there.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Ottawa is said to be looking for forwards, and have recently put Anisimov and White on IR.

I wonder if moving a forward like Jankowski to them for some cap relief makes sense.

Ottawa is fractured.  Too many on the far Left Wing and far Right Wing.  Not enough at Center.  Ottawa choose forward.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ottawa is fractured.  Too many on the far Left Wing and far Right Wing.  Not enough at Center.  Ottawa choose forward.

and yet the dumbest guy on the team, and the one that also has the worst stats is somehow still the captain...    trudeau...

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I do wonder if Frolik would waive to go to Ottawa. He would have a chance to play top 6 minutes in Ottawa and a chance to get a lot of minutes, which is important in a contract year, especially if he is going to play in the 4th line here.

Ottawa might want Frolik to help their Tkachuk they he helped our Tkachuk.

Ottawa also has 3 2nd round picks, so moving their 3rd wouldn't be a big deal.

It would open up a lot of space for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I do wonder if Frolik would waive to go to Ottawa. He would have a chance to play top 6 minutes in Ottawa and a chance to get a lot of minutes, which is important in a contract year, especially if he is going to play in the 4th line here.

Also can give Ottawa the ability to flip him at the deadline maybe even a gain on the cost.  Could be a win-win-win.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Ottawa might want Frolik to help their Tkachuk they he helped our Tkachuk.

Ottawa also has 3 2nd round picks, so moving their 3rd wouldn't be a big deal.

It would open up a lot of space for us.

I have to agree with the logic.

He's exactly the kind of player every team needs.

Some here have soured on him, but maybe the team doesn;t feel the same way.

Maybe it was just BT trying to tinker with the roster.

I get the sense that Frolik does not want to leave the team.

His agent was pissed because it was impacting his ability to get better money next contract.

But the guy shows up every game.

He shows up in top fitness every year.

He ain;t no Neal.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have to agree with the logic.

He's exactly the kind of player every team needs.

Some here have soured on him, but maybe the team doesn;t feel the same way.

Maybe it was just BT trying to tinker with the roster.

I get the sense that Frolik does not want to leave the team.

His agent was pissed because it was impacting his ability to get better money next contract.

But the guy shows up every game.

He shows up in top fitness every year.

He ain;t no Neal.

I get what Frolik brings and he is a solid team player, who plays hard. He hasn't been great so far this season and he probably in a way deserves to be playing on the 4th line. In an ideal situation we could keep him and still upgrade the team.

I just think that if he is going to be playing 4th line minutes that we can find a better way to use that $4.3m in cap space. We are a flu bug away from being in trouble roster wise.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get what Frolik brings and he is a solid team player, who plays hard. He hasn't been great so far this season and he probably in a way deserves to be playing on the 4th line. In an ideal situation we could keep him and still upgrade the team.

I just think that if he is going to be playing 4th line minutes that we can find a better way to use that $4.3m in cap space. We are a flu bug away from being in trouble roster wise.

He's been up and down, I agree.

The salary is the biggest issue for having him on the roster.

Then again Bennett and Janko have had bad games too.

Brodie has as well.

Lucic as well.

I was making the case that he's worth more than a pick return.

His usage is puzzling, as he's played as high as 18 and as low as 8.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Brodie has as well.

Lucic as well.

Isn't it a case too where if Tkachuk and Backlund aren't going, he can tend to look worse? It's not like the other two have been very good this year so far, aside from maybe 4 or 5 games. When the good players are bad, I find a lot of us fans tend to look to the marginal players for blame. Not that Frolik is marginal, I am just kind of making a point. I just think  it can put a spotlight onto Frolik which makes him highlighted by their lack of play as well. It isn't to say he has been bad, but the other two haven't been great, aside from the first LA game Tkachuk has been rather silent, and Backlund had a two game resurgence scoring two in a row. I think we are highlighting Frolik as a problem because Tkachuk being so good, how can it be his fault? Or Backlund's?

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Brodie has as well.

Lucic as well.

Oh he for sure is worth more to us as a player than the pick we would get back. My idea of trading him really has nothing to do with Frolik as a player. It's the cap implications of trading Frolik is where the value to this team lies.

Considering half the league is within $250k of the cap, being able to free up $4m in cap would give us unbelievable leverage in future trade negotiations.

So while we might lose the Frolik trade in the short term, having the flexibility to call up injury replacements and gaining leverage in trade talks would make up for it in the long term.

Again I have no issues with Frolik (other than the early season penalties), it's just our cap situation.

How about Frolik for Pageau? He's a right handed shot with a cap hit of 3.1 million, so we would open up over a million in cap room.  He's not an upgrade on Frolik I don't think, although I don't know too much about him.  The kicker in this deal is that Pageau's actual salary this season is 3.4 million, while Frolik's is 3 million.  Penny Pinching Eugene might smile at saving a couple hundred grand.

9 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

How about Frolik for Pageau? He's a right handed shot with a cap hit of 3.1 million, so we would open up over a million in cap room.  He's not an upgrade on Frolik I don't think, although I don't know too much about him.  The kicker in this deal is that Pageau's actual salary this season is 3.4 million, while Frolik's is 3 million.  Penny Pinching Eugene might smile at saving a couple hundred grand.

Frolik would need to waive is where the difficulty lies.

48 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Ottawa needs more NHL forwards so doing a 1 for 1 trade doesn't really help them.

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Frolik would need to waive is where the difficulty lies.

Yeah, I think it would be unlikely that he would waive to go to Ottawa, the only he does is because he thinks he will get more playing time in Ottawa which is important in a contract year.