The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Never hitting 50-points?  Do u mean 50-goals?  Tkachuk had 77-points last season and then signed an extension after.

Then this season, Tkachuk is our team points leader.

Meant his college buddy Kevin Hayes, gotta be rough knowing he makes more.

25 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Meant his college buddy Kevin Hayes, gotta be rough knowing he makes more.

Ah I see.  Probably.  But let's remember, BT never negotiated Hayes contract.  There's nothing to hate here.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, then i would say the Flyers signed Hayes to big money to make sure Gaudreau goes there in 3 years when he turns UFA.  If the Flames were smart, then trade Gaudreau before that day comes.  I feel Gaudreau is eyeing Philly to finish his career... that's his childhood team and now his best bud is there too.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ah I see.  Probably.  But let's remember, BT never negotiated Hayes contract.  There's nothing to hate here.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, then i would say the Flyers signed Hayes to big money to make sure Gaudreau goes there in 3 years when he turns UFA.  If the Flames were smart, then trade Gaudreau before that day comes.  I feel Gaudreau is eyeing Philly to finish his career... that's his childhood team and now his best bud is there too.

I don't think it will be an issue. Now that the national media is talking about Gaudreau possibly being traded, theres starting to be some smoke. 

I think anything less than winning a playoff series, will see changes made to the Flames, especially if Gaudreau is a no-show again in April

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

call me a conspiracy theorist. I made that connection right away - thinking it’s a gamble to get him there eventually. 

And I agree with you. Johnny should be traded if there’s any idea he wants to move on from Calgary. And trade him to the highest bidder if so, don’t force a philly trade. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

call me a conspiracy theorist. I made that connection right away - thinking it’s a gamble to get him there eventually. 

And I agree with you. Johnny should be traded if there’s any idea he wants to move on from Calgary. And trade him to the highest bidder if so, don’t force a philly trade. 

BT himself will be the biggest issue with re-signing JH.

UFA players being overpaid is not an issue for him.

But paying the true vale seems to be.

If JH is worth 10m by the time his contract is up, why should he have to settle for less.

BT has set it up to have two contract due the same time.

JH has to be dealt with sooner.

Tkachuk will walk into his pending UFA season after accepting a QO of 9m.

The only saving grace is Gio is done the same time as JH and Lucic only has another year.

Yikes.

21 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think it will be an issue. Now that the national media is talking about Gaudreau possibly being traded, theres starting to be some smoke. 

I think anything less than winning a playoff series, will see changes made to the Flames, especially if Gaudreau is a no-show again in April

8 hours ago, lou44291 said:

This really means we have this season and the next to try and win a Cup with Gaudreau.

We pretty much should do to Gaudreau what the San Antonio Spurs did with Kawhi Leonard.  It was widely known that Leonard was going to the LA Clippers once he's UFA.  The Spurs got the best offer they could rather than lose him for nothing.  Had the Spurs just hung onto Leonard, they wouldn't have won an NBA title and they would have nothing to show for him now.  We can't afford to be in that situation with Gaudreau.

I get it... yes, try to offer an extension the summer before his final season.  The answer of whether he will stay or not should be clear.  After that, either extend him or trade him.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

BT himself will be the biggest issue with re-signing JH.

UFA players being overpaid is not an issue for him.

But paying the true vale seems to be.

If JH is worth 10m by the time his contract is up, why should he have to settle for less.

BT has set it up to have two contract due the same time.

JH has to be dealt with sooner.

Tkachuk will walk into his pending UFA season after accepting a QO of 9m.

The only saving grace is Gio is done the same time as JH and Lucic only has another year.

Yikes.

Do these contracts expire at the same time the NHL negotiates a new tv deal? If so, we could have significantly more cap space - but that would mean the other 30 teams would as well, making every team eligible to poach JH. Food for thought if so. Maybe the writing is already on the wall. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

This really means we have this season and the next to try and win a Cup with Gaudreau.

We pretty much should do to Gaudreau what the San Antonio Spurs did with Kawhi Leonard.  It was widely known that Leonard was going to the LA Clippers once he's UFA.  The Spurs got the best offer they could rather than lose him for nothing.  Had the Spurs just hung onto Leonard, they wouldn't have won an NBA title and they would have nothing to show for him now.  We can't afford to be in that situation with Gaudreau.

I get it... yes, try to offer an extension the summer before his final season.  The answer of whether he will stay or not should be clear.  After that, either extend him or trade him.

yup!!

i have to agree. Plus right now with the fans kinda turning on him now he might be more inclined to leave at the end of his contract. Though things can change of course. 

I feel there is a lot of predictable play going around so I am not sure how this will go. I really think when we had all of those good metric stats that teams were just content at allowing us to play it on the outside and then the shots we did get weren’t that dangerous or we’d shoot it wide or at the goalie. 

I love Gaudreau but he needs a bit more and to do more. I would like to see Lindholm centre him or Tkachuk. They can create 50/50 on zone entries. There just isn’t enough variety in his game right now. 

I think a part of it is that teams just defend us differently. On us faster to not allow possession to happen.  

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well all that did is slow down their rebuild.   They got Derozan who is older than Leonard makes a lot of money and is a solid but unspectacular, right now they don't look like a playoff team definitely not a contender and might be too good to have a shot at a good draft pick.  I would think you of all people would rather be in the best position to win the lottery than a team fighting for 10th in the conference, which is what that trade did for them. 

15 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Well all that did is slow down their rebuild.   They got Derozan who is older than Leonard makes a lot of money and is a solid but unspectacular, right now they don't look like a playoff team definitely not a contender and might be too good to have a shot at a good draft pick.  I would think you of all people would rather be in the best position to win the lottery than a team fighting for 10th in the conference, which is what that trade did for them. 

But maybe the best offer we can get for Gaudreau is two 1st round picks.  So take it.

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup!!

i have to agree. Plus right now with the fans kinda turning on him now he might be more inclined to leave at the end of his contract. Though things can change of course. 

I feel there is a lot of predictable play going around so I am not sure how this will go. I really think when we had all of those good metric stats that teams were just content at allowing us to play it on the outside and then the shots we did get weren’t that dangerous or we’d shoot it wide or at the goalie. 

I love Gaudreau but he needs a bit more and to do more. I would like to see Lindholm centre him or Tkachuk. They can create 50/50 on zone entries. There just isn’t enough variety in his game right now. 

I think a part of it is that teams just defend us differently. On us faster to not allow possession to happen.  

Ya, two years time is all we have. 

In fact, i think BT is only signed for 2 more seasons after this one if i'm not mistaken... 

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya, two years time is all we have. 

In fact, i think BT is only signed for 2 more seasons after this one if i'm not mistaken... 

For me, I feel like we’ve done good at finding small skilled NHL players. We haven’t really been able to draft and develop true depth players. Not to say we aren’t deep, but I mean role players who move the needle in different ways than a small skilled player can on the 3rd or 4th line. 

We are just built oddly. There isn’t anything beyond a certain vision, which I feel is kind of an extension of Feaster’s philosophy of draft players who can play and they’re basically currency; currency that still doesn’t buy what we sorely lack, size that plays with their size, and RHS D and F’s.

i think this is where BPA is starting to mess things up. Teams just aren’t readily dealing their RHS players and if they do it comes at a higher cost. Not that it doesn’t happen, but I think the Flames would have done it by now if it was that easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

For me, I feel like we’ve done good at finding small skilled NHL players. We haven’t really been able to draft and develop true depth players. Not to say we aren’t deep, but I mean role players who move the needle in different ways than a small skilled player can on the 3rd or 4th line. 

We are just built oddly. There isn’t anything beyond a certain vision, which I feel is kind of an extension of Feaster’s philosophy of draft players who can play and they’re basically currency; currency that still doesn’t buy what we sorely lack, size that plays with their size, and RHS D and F’s.

i think this is where BPA is starting to mess things up. Teams just aren’t readily dealing their RHS players and if they do it comes at a higher cost. Not that it doesn’t happen, but I think the Flames would have done it by now if it was that easy.

Thing is, when you pick top 5.. or top 25 even... You have to pick BPA.  Basically, whatever falls into your lap because the skill difference between one player and the next is large.  There are often "groups" where the talent drops off a ledge.  Once you get into round 2+ though, the difference between one player and the next is not as profound.  Every player has holes in that range of ranking.  In those cases, take the RHS.

RHS is more valuable because there is less of them in the NHL.  This especially with RHS RD where lots of coaches want to balance the hands.

Just pick RHS D, RW, and C.  

In my mind, our drafting has been good.

but you can't expect drafting to form a perfectly shaped team.   You need some trades for that.

And we've been afraid to make the hard trades that comes with successful drafting.   Or....in the case of Hamilton we made that hard trade, and then...let him go.    In that particular case I don't know what to say.

I actually liked both Hamilton trades.  The acquisition cost was high but fair, and one can only dream of landing a player like Hamilton using a 1st rounder and two 2nds, so bully on that one.  Even shipping out Hamilton gave us our top RH forward, although I would agree a draft pick or two should have come our way.  The one that still sticks in my craw is the Hamonic trade.  We paid the same price for both Hamilton and Hamonic, but only one of those guys was worth the price.  Hamonic has only had one good season as a flame, and seems to be aging before our eyes this season.  Not sure I would bring him back next year tbh.

33 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I actually liked both Hamilton trades.  The acquisition cost was high but fair, and one can only dream of landing a player like Hamilton using a 1st rounder and two 2nds, so bully on that one.  Even shipping out Hamilton gave us our top RH forward, although I would agree a draft pick or two should have come our way.  The one that still sticks in my craw is the Hamonic trade.  We paid the same price for both Hamilton and Hamonic, but only one of those guys was worth the price.  Hamonic has only had one good season as a flame, and seems to be aging before our eyes this season.  Not sure I would bring him back next year tbh.

We did get a 4th back on the Hammer deal.

The reason why it cost as much as it did was the low cost of Hammer's contract.

We got Dougie without a contract, so that had to be negotiated.

Not saying I liked the Hamonic trade terms, but I did like the player he used to be.

His work ethic is without reproach.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We did get a 4th back on the Hammer deal.

The reason why it cost as much as it did was the low cost of Hammer's contract.

We got Dougie without a contract, so that had to be negotiated.

Not saying I liked the Hamonic trade terms, but I did like the player he used to be.

His work ethic is without reproach.

I’m wondering if Hamonic’s work ethic and personality contrast with the flames dressing room. He does try to bring it every game but the rest of the team doesn’t. Probably feels and definitely looks like an island out there at times. I’m not making excuses for his play, just debating out loud why a stand up guy and full effort player looks so out of place here. It doesn’t make sense to me unless it’s something that isn’t valued or preached in this organization. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I’m wondering if Hamonic’s work ethic and personality contrast with the flames dressing room. He does try to bring it every game but the rest of the team doesn’t. Probably feels and definitely looks like an island out there at times. I’m not making excuses for his play, just debating out loud why a stand up guy and full effort player looks so out of place here. It doesn’t make sense to me unless it’s something that isn’t valued or preached in this organization. 

I don't think it's related to work ethic.

He is noticeably slower this year.

Hanifin is looking better as time goes on, and he is looking worse.

It might have to do with his playing style.

I notice that Hamonic is more likely to bounce the puck off the boards on a zone exit, while others will skate it out.

Part of that is that the forwards fly the zone when he gets it, instead of breaking out as a group.

If 5/6 D-men are carying it out (4 of 6 with Stone playing), the forwards aren't recognizing this.

I think that we should think carefully before trading Brodie. While I acknowledge that we have been playing poorly all season, our worst play was more or less after Brodie collapsed. The team broke the skid when he travelled with them to Philly, and they looked much better when he hit the ice again. A number of times I thought to myself that he made a good pass or play.

52 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that we should think carefully before trading Brodie. While I acknowledge that we have been playing poorly all season, our worst play was more or less after Brodie collapsed. The team broke the skid when he travelled with them to Philly, and they looked much better when he hit the ice again. A number of times I thought to myself that he made a good pass or play.

I'm leaning towards trading Hammer.

He's more old school, but we lack speed when he's out there.

Nether him nor Brodie is going to be cheap.

If the right offer was there, I would consider it.

Good skaker with a bomb of a shot?

Elite RW?

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm leaning towards trading Hammer.

He's more old school, but we lack speed when he's out there.

Nether him nor Brodie is going to be cheap.

If the right offer was there, I would consider it.

Good skaker with a bomb of a shot?

Elite RW?

I am totally down with getting an elite RW. I really wanted ROR when he was available. Heck, I would take Kessel just to see Carty lose his mind with Photoshop. I just hope that elite really means elite and not Brouwer etc.

I am kind of disappointed in Hamonic. I thought we would get a working man's Reggie.

I thought Brodie looked good tonight and just wonder if we are playing and relying on him too much. Maybe average his minutes so that he plays a rested game and hope that his decisions are made soundly due to being rested enough. I am not saying play him 15 minutes, I mean average about 20-22 minutes a night instead of 26+

Personally, I would rather see the D time average this:

1st Pair: 22-23 min/night

2nd Pair: 20 min/night

3rd Pair: 17-18 min/night

I think that the 3rd pair looks worse most nights because they can't get into a rhythm. I haven't played D much, but I do know that when I do, I get into the game more when the minutes are regular. That's not to say I am even good at D, haha, I am a lot better though when regular. And I see it when we play 4 or 6 D in beer league. The D play better with 4 guys back there because they get into a zone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I thought Brodie looked good tonight and just wonder if we are playing and relying on him too much. Maybe average his minutes so that he plays a rested game and hope that his decisions are made soundly due to being rested enough. I am not saying play him 15 minutes, I mean average about 20-22 minutes a night instead of 26+

Personally, I would rather see the D time average this:

1st Pair: 22-23 min/night

2nd Pair: 20 min/night

3rd Pair: 17-18 min/night

I think that the 3rd pair looks worse most nights because they can't get into a rhythm. I haven't played D much, but I do know that when I do, I get into the game more when the minutes are regular. That's not to say I am even good at D, haha, I am a lot better though when regular. And I see it when we play 4 or 6 D in beer league. The D play better with 4 guys back there because they get into a zone. 

Before the event, I think it was suggested that he play less minutes.

He tends to be better when he plays 20 and not a lot more.

As far as minutes, the typical game has PP and PK time.

We need to be able to rely on players to fill out those minutes.

Kylington was supposed to play in all situations on the farm, but he's 11 minutes.

Meanwhile, Stone is closer to 15.

And Hanifin 25.

I think there may have been a slight shift in the PP and PK setups.

Ras playing on the PK.

Hanifin playing on the top PP unit.

I really find it difficult to evaluate the D right now.

I don't think Stone is very good at all.

Kylington is playing little minute, even while showing he is not a tire fire.

Gio has been getting top PP minutes all year and we have a putrid PP.

As far as trades go, Hamonic is on the block.

He gets himself out of more trouble than he gets in.

A bad night for TJ is a giveaway that results in a goal.

If BP is gone, which seems inevitable, think Jankowski might be the one player that benefits most.  He is a shell of the player that advanced from the AHL and with his more reticent personality it’s not hard to imagine he would regress after getting pigeon-holed and perhaps worse.