The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Taking best RS player over BPA available would have netted the Flames Taylor Raydish over Dillon Dube or Lillejgren over Valamki. How does that look right now? 

What hand a player shoots should be pretty far down the list of traits your are looking for in a player. By all means break a tie with it but the concept of drafting a player over another just because of the hand they shoot? Silly. 

That's a good case study in regards to Valimaki because I agree we got a better player by avoiding Liljegren.  Five D were drafted in a row.

Cal Foote RHS

Erik Brannstrom RHS

Jusso Valimaki LHS

Timothy Liljegren RHS

Urho Vaakanainen LHS

Is Valimaki the best of the group?  Did TB screw up and bought the brand name?  Did OTT fall victim to Brannstrom's RHS?  Should TO have drafted Vaakanainen but they went RHS instead?

FWIW, Pierre Lebrun in a trade deadline article for the Athletic does not list Calgary as a team that is showing interest in Pageau. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That's a good case study in regards to Valimaki because I agree we got a better player by avoiding Liljegren.  Five D were drafted in a row.

Cal Foote RHS

Erik Brannstrom RHS

Jusso Valimaki LHS

Timothy Liljegren RHS

Urho Vaakanainen LHS

Is Valimaki the best of the group?  Did TB screw up and bought the brand name?  Did OTT fall victim to Brannstrom's RHS?  Should TO have drafted Vaakanainen but they went RHS instead?

Great point.

Brannstrom has the most upside of that group IMO with Valamaki being the best overall skill set so we will see how it pans out. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

FWIW, Pierre Lebrun in a trade deadline article for the Athletic does not list Calgary as a team that is showing interest in Pageau. 

Well, Pageau has only 2 points in the last 7 games and is a cumulative -7 in that span.

Nothing against him, but he is having a career year in a contract year.

Warning signs.

On the other side of the coin, CGY would have made a pitch some time ago.

They probably circle back every once in awhile, but quiet doesn't mean out.

I do think the asking price might be a bit too rich right now.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Taking best RS player over BPA available would have netted the Flames Taylor Raydish over Dillon Dube or Lillejgren over Valamki. How does that look right now? 

What hand a player shoots should be pretty far down the list of traits your are looking for in a player. By all means break a tie with it but the concept of drafting a player over another just because of the hand they shoot? Silly. 

So taking Bennett 4th overall lands us a superstar?  Or some tiny little punk in the later rounds named Gaudreau?

The point is you never really know what you are going to get so I'm for the shot gun approach.

EVERY PICK THIS YEAR SHOULD BE RHS    don't care if its  RD RW or Center.

Trading for them later is hard to find and expensive.

20 minutes ago, Meatpuppet42 said:

So taking Bennett 4th overall lands us a superstar?  Or some tiny little punk in the later rounds named Gaudreau?

The point is you never really know what you are going to get so I'm for the shot gun approach.

There is sometimes a huge gap between RHS and LHS, depending on where you are in the draft.

And every draft is different.

Some years has a lot of D.

The other thing is some D and forwards play their off-side because they are better or more comfortable.

RHS forwards might actually play LW more.

Good luck with your strategy.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There is sometimes a huge gap between RHS and LHS, depending on where you are in the draft.

And every draft is different.

Some years has a lot of D.

The other thing is some D and forwards play their off-side because they are better or more comfortable.

RHS forwards might actually play LW more.

Good luck with your strategy.

For example the next two RHS after Matthew Tkachuk in the draft were Alex Nylander and Michael McLeod, that isn't just a huge gap in talent that is a grand canyon sized gap in talent.

Only drafting RHS players in the draft is a sure fire way to set your organization back.

If you acquire enough talent/assets via the draft you can use that as currency to acquire other pieces.

Talent, hockey sense, work ethic and compete level should be the first factors, position would next on the checklist (Center and defense being the priority), then size, and then maybe handedness.

1 hour ago, Meatpuppet42 said:

Should take this a step further. I mean if you don't really know and just want RS don't even employ scouts. Wouldn't make sense to. Just grab a list off the internet and your on your way.

Yes right shots are valuable, but they are very much like left-handed pitchers in baseball, there aren't as many of them. They are nice to have but I wouldn't reach for a righty, potentially if there's a "tie" in evaluations between 2 players you go with the RHS

• Like 1

Brett Ritchie is on waivers today.

RHS RW has a cap hit of $1m. He is 6'4" 220lbs.

He is a 4th liner for sure, but he is an upgrade on Rinaldo and brings some more size to the team. Might be worth a claim.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Brett Ritchie is on waivers today.

RHS RW has a cap hit of $1m. He is 6'4" 220lbs.

He is a 4th liner for sure, but he is an upgrade on Rinaldo and brings some more size to the team. Might be worth a claim.

Not interested.  I think Rinaldo has done pretty good.  Brings speed and timely hitting.  Brett Ritchie is slow and low IQ.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not interested.  I think Rinaldo has done pretty good.  Brings speed and timely hitting.  Brett Ritchie is slow and low IQ.

I don't think it would be worth the waiver claim but I would look at a Jankowski for Richie swap....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Agree with you Peeps.  There were complaints that we're slow enough as it is, why would we want to get slower. Look for a real top 6 RW before the trade deadline instead.

How about Jesper Fast as a rental? He's under the radar, makes only 2 million, right shot RW, 4th on his team in hits, and having a career year (almost 0.5 ppg).  UFA after this season, so cost to acquire should be low.  Maybe a conditional 3rd which becomes a 2nd if we win a round or two, something like that.

• Like 2

I'd like to see us revist TJ and Janko to Toronto again.

Toronto is desperate for D now , might overcome the  rental drop in return.. if all we got was a decent young forward like Kapanen I'd be all over it 

42 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'd like to see us revist TJ and Janko to Toronto again.

Toronto is desperate for D now , might overcome the  rental drop in return.. if all we got was a decent young forward like Kapanen I'd be all over it 

Trades with Toronto are going to be really tricky just because of the fact that they need to do dollar for dollar trades and I am not sure I see a trade where that makes sense for both teams at equal cap hits going both ways.

Also if we trade Brodie we need a defenseman coming back.

I think a Hamonic to Winnipeg trade makes more sense, but with us battling for 1st in the division I can't see us moving a defenseman without it making us substantially better.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Trades with Toronto are going to be really tricky just because of the fact that they need to do dollar for dollar trades and I am not sure I see a trade where that makes sense for both teams at equal cap hits going both ways.

Also if we trade Brodie we need a defenseman coming back.

I think a Hamonic to Winnipeg trade makes more sense, but with us battling for 1st in the division I can't see us moving a defenseman without it making us substantially better.

we definitely may have to take some money off their books.. Maybe Ceci($4.5M, UFA) ? But its not critical.. Leafs have deadline space of $5.8 M. They move Kapanen , thats $9M they can take in , we'd only be sending them $6.3

Id be fine with both players for Kapanen  with no picks involved . That would leave us with 6.8M to pick up a depth D or 2 

my thinking is that of the 2, Hamonic is the most likely the Flames will want to re-sign,  I dont see a scenario where we qualify Janko at $1.7  so that's 2 UFA's we will likely lose for nothing if we don't move them somehow  

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we definitely may have to take some money off their books.. Maybe Ceci($4.5M, UFA) ? But its not critical.. Leafs have deadline space of $5.8 M. They move Kapanen , thats $9M they can take in , we'd only be sending them $6.3

Id be fine with both players for Kapanen  with no picks involved . That would leave us with 6.8M to pick up a depth D or 2 

my thinking is that of the 2, Hamonic is the most likely the Flames will want to re-sign,  I dont see a scenario where we qualify Janko at $1.7  so that's 2 UFA's we will likely lose for nothing if we don't move them somehow  

That isn't entirely true, I could be wrong, but Reilly and Muzzin are expected to be back before the playoffs so they need to account for their cap hits to go back on the books as well. 

The Leafs have been juggling LTIR all season and basically have accrued 0 cap space for the deadline, so any trade for them will have to have the same money going out as coming in.

As far as trading Ceci to add Brodie, its basically a sideways move for them. They need to add defense without subtracting any defense.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I am with you on Hamonic to WPG.  

Poolman and Roslovic for Hamonic.

Or just Niku.

Sorry WPG, but you have to pay for the type of player Hamonic is.  He fits your identity like a glove.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, JTech780 said:

For example the next two RHS after Matthew Tkachuk in the draft were Alex Nylander and Michael McLeod, that isn't just a huge gap in talent that is a grand canyon sized gap in talent.

Only drafting RHS players in the draft is a sure fire way to set your organization back.

If you acquire enough talent/assets via the draft you can use that as currency to acquire other pieces.

Talent, hockey sense, work ethic and compete level should be the first factors, position would next on the checklist (Center and defense being the priority), then size, and then maybe handedness.

i wouldn't go head hunting specifically for a rhs .. but if he's say projected to be within 4 or so players of the player  you're looking at.. I'd strongly consider a swap

Pierre Lebrun in Insider Trading says Flames looking for a top 6 forward and specifically a RS top 6 forward. He mentions Toffoli but seems to me his option on connecting the dots and not somethings he’s heard from the Flames. 

Of interest to me in the video is the mention of Kapanen. Not the he’s being dangled but sounds like the Leafs are discussing him. That’s makes a ton of sense for the Flames. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-flames-oilers-looking-for-a-top-6-forward-eyeing-leafs~1878143/insider-trading-flames-oilers-looking-for-a-top-6-forward-eyeing-leafs~1878143

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pierre Lebrun in Insider Trading says Flames looking for a top 6 forward and specifically a RS top 6 forward. He mentions Toffoli but seems to me his option on connecting the dots and not somethings he’s heard from the Flames. 

Of interest to me in the video is the mention of Kapanen. Not the he’s being dangled but sounds like the Leafs are discussing him. That’s makes a ton of sense for the Flames. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-flames-oilers-looking-for-a-top-6-forward-eyeing-leafs~1878143/insider-trading-flames-oilers-looking-for-a-top-6-forward-eyeing-leafs~1878143

It would be a mistake IMHO to trade Brodie for him.

Hamonic, I would do.

And, really Hamonic is probably suited for a team that cheats to offense too much.

Even Muzzin is activating, when he is healthy.

Just means we have to shop for another d-man with some term.

Maybe Bennett for some obscure d-man?

Bennett for Poolman?

Scrappy player to the Jets.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Do you think Mangiapane is a long term solution on RW?  Or is moving Tkachuk to RW a long term solution?  For that matter, Backlund?  

We don't just need a top 6 RW in my opinion.  We need 4 RWs.  

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do you think Mangiapane is a long term solution on RW?  Or is moving Tkachuk to RW a long term solution?  For that matter, Backlund?  

We don't just need a top 6 RW in my opinion.  We need 4 RWs.  

Well, we have Tkachuk, who is too good for a 2nd line LW.

Gaudreau, the same.

Mangiapane is a great 3rd line LW or will be a good 2nd line LW.

Dube seems to be okay at RW, though I think he's probably better in the middle.

Then we have a bunch of guys used on LW that aren't really that good.

Lucic in a 3rd line role struggles with passing at times, though I don't mind the way he plays.

Bennett, who seems to be on the wrong side of plays.

He tries a hit, he gets a penalty.

He goes to the net, the puck deflects off him.

Personally, I think Gaudreau would be fine on RW, because he opens up the ice,

Can't think of who you then use on LW.

Tkachuk-Lindholm seems to be a match, mostly because Lindy is a good C for him.

Tkachuk should really be a 4th liner.

I don;t think we need 4 RW.  I think we need two better players.

A RHS to use on the top line.

A more durable winger to play with Tkachuk.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube for the 3rd line.

Lucic-Backlund-Rieder

Add to that list a decent 2nd pairing RD.

No point in fixing the forwards without the D.

The 2nd pair is our biggest hole.

Rare that both play good in the same game.

I just want consistency.