The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t think we need 4 RW.  I think we need two better players.

A RHS to use on the top line.

Well, we need at least two better RHS RW.

Not sure how the team feels about this knowing we have these needs.  Someone is going to get traded.  Someone new is going to be brought in.

If they were willing to do Hamonic for Kapanen I would do it!  

are there any heavy D out there we could replace a Hammy with in a different trade? Someone more mobile than Stone. 

the reality is:

Gio, Brods

Hanny, Andy

Kylly, new guy

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It would be a mistake IMHO to trade Brodie for him.

Hamonic, I would do.

I don't even feel Kapanen is available.  He's been a good depth scorer for them.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If they were willing to do Hamonic for Kapanen I would do it!  

are there any heavy D out there we could replace a Hammy with in a different trade? Someone more mobile than Stone. 

the reality is:

Gio, Brods

Hanny, Andy

Kylly, new guy

If there is that type of D, then the Leafs would use Kapanen to get him directly.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, we need at least two better RHS RW.

Not sure how the team feels about this knowing we have these needs.  Someone is going to get traded.  Someone new is going to be brought in.

I agree too, but then what if they can move Lindholm to the wing?

could you go?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Kapanen 

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm 

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

Rinaldo, Bennett/Jankowski , Reider

either Jankowski or Bennett used in trade for the 3rd pair D. if it is Bennett, we get a 2nd rounder involved??? 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If there is that type of D, then the Leafs would use Kapanen to get him directly.

oh, I am thinking someone to use on the 3rd pair, someone like Stone but slightly better. I think the leafs already have that, they need a Top4. We need a 5/6.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Do you think Mangiapane is a long term solution on RW?  Or is moving Tkachuk to RW a long term solution?  For that matter, Backlund?  

We don't just need a top 6 RW in my opinion.  We need 4 RWs.  

Mangiapane and Dube are the two I think can form a long term solution. I’m personally like the idea of Gaudreau on RW and it seemed to work at the Worlds last year but given the Flames have almost never done it makes me think there’s something the don’t like about it or Johnny doesn’t like it. 

id include Bennett there too but I’m getting the feeling Bennett won’t be a flame much longer. 

2 would be what I would like to see. I’m not as big a proponent of a RS for 5 on 5 but on the PP. I think the lack of a RS F for the PP limits the 2nd unit. So id like to see  1 top 6 RS and one bottom 6 just some depth. In a perfect world. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mangiapane and Dube are the two I think can form a long term solution. I’m personally like the idea of Gaudreau on RW and it seemed to work at the Worlds last year but given the Flames have almost never done it makes me think there’s something the don’t like about it or Johnny doesn’t like it. 

id include Bennett there too but I’m getting the feeling Bennett won’t be a flame much longer. 

2 would be what I would like to see. I’m not as big a proponent of a RS for 5 on 5 but on the PP. I think the lack of a RS F for the PP limits the 2nd unit. So id like to see  1 top 6 RS and one bottom 6 just some depth. In a perfect world. 

Then do you consider Kapanen a top 6 RW?  He's borderline... More a bottom 6 player I feel.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Then do you consider Kapanen a top 6 RW?  He's borderline... More a bottom 6 player I feel.

I would call him a middle 6 player. 2nd/3rd line type player who could maybe play a top line role if the fit was correct.

bottom 6 means 4th line. Kapanen is much better than that. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would call him a middle 6 player. 2nd/3rd line type player who could maybe play a top line role if the fit was correct.

bottom 6 means 4th line. Kapanen is much better than that. 

Since Toronto is in desperate need for experienced defense, who would we give up that would make sense to get Kapanen?

I can't see Dubas wanting Hamonic, because he leans heavily towards skill and analytics and Hamonic doesn't really check those boxes. I think Brodie does and the fact that he was almost traded there earlier, makes him a likely target. We would have to eat some of the cap hit to make them match. I just don't think Brodie as a UFA gets you Kapanen.

The other issue is, I don't think our defense is deep enough to be moving defensemen, so unless a defenseman is coming from somewhere else I just don't see a deal with Toronto as realistic.

I also think Toronto will make a big deal with the Rangers involving a forward for Georgiev and a defenseman.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I also think Toronto will make a big deal with the Rangers involving a forward for Georgiev and a defenseman.

I don't get the line of thinking.

Why does the Rags move their best goalie in waiting now?

They only have one year left of Lundquist, and they could convince him to retire or buy him out.

He's no longer the king.

The Rags also don't have a D-man that fits into TO's cap.

Not even close.

Maybe I am out to lunch, but the trade you suggest would start with Nylander and a 1st for Skjei.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Except Brodie as a UFA got Kadri.

That was a full season of Brodie, and they were looking to move Kadri anyways. Completely different story now.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get the line of thinking.

Why does the Rags move their best goalie in waiting now?

They only have one year left of Lundquist, and they could convince him to retire or buy him out.

He's no longer the king.

The Rags also don't have a D-man that fits into TO's cap.

Not even close.

Maybe I am out to lunch, but the trade you suggest would start with Nylander and a 1st for Skjei.

I was thinking Nylander for DeAngelo and Georgiev. I don't think the Rangers see Georgiev as their goalie of the future.

The name that came up during the Insider Trading that surprised me the most and jumped to the top of my list of targets was Dumba.

IMO he fits what we need right now and going forward. I would prioritize him over anyone else rumoured to be available. 

Dumba would help our scoring with his ability to score and his ability to create offense. He is also a RHS D, who isn't afraid to play the body. Dumba is also from Calgary.

I would put our 1st round pick on the line for Dumba.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The name that came up during the Insider Trading that surprised me the most and jumped to the top of my list of targets was Dumba.

IMO he fits what we need right now and going forward. I would prioritize him over anyone else rumoured to be available. 

Dumba would help our scoring with his ability to score and his ability to create offense. He is also a RHS D, who isn't afraid to play the body. Dumba is also from Calgary.

Yes, I heard about that too.

And I agree he should be a target.

That makes one of Brodie or Hamonic redundant.

Opens up another trade for a RW or RHS forward.

The drawback is we need to move out salary with the pick to get Dumba or the D that we do move out is replaced by 1/2 as much salary.

Injuries are starting to mount up, so we need to start making the trades before everyone else picks away at available players.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That was a full season of Brodie, and they were looking to move Kadri anyways. Completely different story now.

i think they'd still want him .. they'd also see him as a keeper , and make a good pitch to resign him . I still firmly believe TJ is not a Flame next year .. somebody is gonna pay him more than $4.7 , and with Andersson progressing and likely Valimaki now pushing forward.. it should not be us 

read an interesting article yesterday , and of course cant find it again now .. but saying the Leafs are in an awkward position .. current need for a LD because of injuries, but long term need is a RD..   TJ and not many others , plays both 

and I really think the failed trade messed with Jankowski .. odd that, to me anyway , he played his best game of the year last night . i still believe both those players end up in TO by the TDL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I love Dumba , and certainly would not complain about getting him .

problem I see is he's a $6M RD.. thats  top pair pricing ..do we stunt Andersson ?  or the alternate then is that both TJ and Hamonic are gone , and I'm not sure hes fully D minded enough to pair with Hanifin 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

problem I see is he's a $6M RD.. thats  top pair pricing ..do we stunt Andersson ?  or the alternate then is that both TJ and Hamonic are gone , and I'm not sure hes fully D minded enough to pair with Hanifin 

I think Giordano-Dumba, Hanifin-Andersson pairings makes a ton of sense for this team next year.

Dumba would also add a big shot to the PP that is really missing.

As TD said adding Dumba would make Brodie or Hamonic more expendable, so we could move one or both of them at the deadline for help in other areas.

I could see Dumba costing Bennet and a 1st, maybe more.

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think that is the going rate for a really good 2nd pairing guy.

Andersson was a deal because we are betting on him taking steps.

He will and we'll get a steal.

Dumba at $6m will look better and better every year.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

There's some bad blood between Dumba and Giordano so, I don't it would go over too well with the locker room.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Since Toronto is in desperate need for experienced defense, who would we give up that would make sense to get Kapanen?

I can't see Dubas wanting Hamonic, because he leans heavily towards skill and analytics and Hamonic doesn't really check those boxes. I think Brodie does and the fact that he was almost traded there earlier, makes him a likely target. We would have to eat some of the cap hit to make them match. I just don't think Brodie as a UFA gets you Kapanen.

The other issue is, I don't think our defense is deep enough to be moving defensemen, so unless a defenseman is coming from somewhere else I just don't see a deal with Toronto as realistic.

I don't think he does either but it may start the conversation. I mean I like Kapanen but I think we need to remember he is a middle 6 forward signed to a reasonable, but not a steal, of a contract so I don't think his value is massive. Brodie for Kapanen straight up might not work but i don't think the Flames would have to add a ton there. Maybe even attaching a conditional pick that if Brodie does not re sign may tip the scales, because presonally I thikn Brodie for Kapanen in terms of player value is close. It's the pending UFa that's the issue but perhaps the Leafs have a leg up on that due to him being from the area. 

I agree with above that I think Brodie is very attractive to the Leafs because he can play both sides and it's a very good shot suppression dman which they need. 

Interestingly enough Eric Duhastchek is floating the idea of Bennett for Kapenen. Obviously on the surface that seems crazy but if the Leafs feel there is more to Bennett's game then I could see the attraction. Bennett saves them about 700K in cap space they could use and give them an element they lack in that grit department. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I agree but I can't imagine the Flames can meet the asking price. Moving Dumba only makes sense if you get a haul and while I agree with much of what you are saying I don't think Dumba would be a player I would pay full market price for. I'm a bit fan and of course if you can get him for Bennett and a 1st for sure by why does Minny do that?

Seems to me Minny would dangle him to try and get multiple future pieces. Don't know how the Flames end up making that work. 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

you could do

Gio, Dumba

Hanifin, Anderson 

we need a near stud to round out top4 and Anderson would do that for me.

then hope next year you can do:

Gio, Dumba

Valamaki, Anderson

Kylington, xxxx Or Hanifin 

but use a Hanifin in a deal? Then Valamaki and Anderson as a succession plan is in motion.

I definitely wonder if Detroit is interested in Brodie. Closest team to his hometown too.

Just not sure Brodie's value heading into UFA.

They have 2 - 2nd and 2 - 3rd rd picks, is that the way to go?

Or maybe a Rasmussen?

David Backes put on waivers by the Bruins today.. rhs winger.. 6'3// concussion issues.. can he help us??