Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I definitely wonder if Detroit is interested in Brodie. Closest team to his hometown too.

Just not sure Brodie's value heading into UFA.

They have 2 - 2nd and 2 - 3rd rd picks, is that the way to go?

Or maybe a Rasmussen?

 

Am I remembering this wrong, but isn't Rasmussen a friend of Ras Andersson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

Am I remembering this wrong, but isn't Rasmussen a friend of Ras Andersson?

 

I think Rasmussen played junior with Valimaki, but I don't think there was a connection to Andersson. Burakovsky is best friends with Andersson.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Am I remembering this wrong, but isn't Rasmussen a friend of Ras Andersson?

Fooled by the Rasmus part. lol

JTech is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rasmussen is a giant, good in front of the net and defensively. 2017 9th oa Wings fans breathed a lot of hate at him for not being an instant 40 goal guy last year.

He's now 20, in the A and missed significant time with a back injury. 

Doubt the Wings want to move him, but you gotta pay if you want to play. Moritz Seider could be ready as early as next year, and the Wings backend is an atrocity.

I'd say the basement on Rasmussen is an NHL 3C. Detroit's prospect depth is above average everywhere but at G.

They have good young forwards, but D is not good outside of the 3-4 in the prospect pool, where batting a thousand never happens.

Brodie would be a big add for them. Maybe a 2nd back re-sign clause.

For the record, I don't wanna lose Brodie, but something has to give with this team.

The dynamic has been half asleep more often than not this year, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

 

I think Rasmussen played junior with Valimaki, but I don't think there was a connection to Andersson. Burakovsky is best friends with Andersson.

 

That's right.  I remember something about Valimaki talking about Rasmussen.

Just got the stud D mixed up.

 

The two billeted together for two years, and (supposedly) formed a strong bond.

I just vaguely remember reading about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Fooled by the Rasmus part. lol

JTech is correct.

 

Got the team and position right, just not the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of Dumba, I wonder if we can get Subban and have NJ eat $3-mil cap.  Make it Subban at $6 x 3-years (well, 2.5 technically).  That's better than Dumba at $6 x 4-years.

 

Subban at 30-years-old isn't too old for a Dman.  He can get his game back with the talent we have.  He could return to 60-point form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Instead of Dumba, I wonder if we can get Subban and have NJ eat $3-mil cap.  Make it Subban at $6 x 3-years (well, 2.5 technically).  That's better than Dumba at $6 x 4-years.

 

Subban at 30-years-old isn't too old for a Dman.  He can get his game back with the talent we have.  He could return to 60-point form.

So Subban would be a better acquisition, on which planet?

You;re beside yourself. Subban would be a nightmare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So Subban would be a better acquisition, on which planet?

You;re beside yourself. Subban would be a nightmare.

 

Both players are having bad seasons.

Dumba 13-points

Subban 11-points

 

Subban has a Norris and has better offensive talents.  NJ is hopeless and don't even use Subban on the 1st unit PP.   At $9-mil-per, Subban is a buy-low opportunity and i'm sure NJ wants to deal him away... and eat some cap if that's what it takes.  If he comes into the right situation like the Flames, then he can regain 60-point form.  Dumba doesn't have that ceiling.

 

So, not saying Subban is a great acquisition to target but just saying, he's better than Dumba as long as NJ would eat cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Both players are having bad seasons.

Dumba 13-points

Subban 11-points

 

Subban has a Norris and has better offensive talents.  NJ is hopeless and don't even use Subban on the 1st unit PP.   At $9-mil-per, Subban is a buy-low opportunity and i'm sure NJ wants to deal him away... and eat some cap if that's what it takes.  If he comes into the right situation like the Flames, then he can regain 60-point form.  Dumba doesn't have that ceiling.

 

So, not saying Subban is a great acquisition to target but just saying, he's better than Dumba as long as NJ would eat cap.

 

They both have the same PPG (.53) over the last 3 seasons, the thing is Subban is in decline and Dumba is entering his prime. At this point Dumba is the better player. Not to mention that Subban brings a level of distraction with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumba had 50 points 2 seasons and again and until injury last year was on pace to better that. I don’t think it’s even fair to say that Subban’s ceiling is higher. Unless we really want to debate 5-6 points...
 

I like PK but I just don’t think he makes sense for the Flames at this point and where there team is. Salary, contract, age, play and I don’t think Subban is a good culture fit either. I don’t have a problem with who PK is off the ice but I also don’t think the Flames are set up well to handle it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cross16 said:

Dumba had 50 points 2 seasons and again and until injury last year was on pace to better that. I don’t think it’s even fair to say that Subban’s ceiling is higher. Unless we really want to debate 5-6 points...
 

I like PK but I just don’t think he makes sense for the Flames at this point and where there team is. Salary, contract, age, play and I don’t think Subban is a good culture fit either. I don’t have a problem with who PK is off the ice but I also don’t think the Flames are set up well to handle it. 

 

To add to the personality thoughts. I dont know much about Subban outside of what the media shows, but I went to the same high school as Dumba when he played for RD and he is a good guy off the ice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get behind Dumba. I like that he has some bite to his game as well. I wonder if Minnie would want a D in return because I’d be game. 
 

So while I’m talking D, Andersson Kylington and Valimaki are keepers in my eyes and not available for trade. They’re part of the now, and the future. I see Andersson as a (near) future top pairing D and hope Valimaki turns out to be the same. Kylington’s defensive and offensive game are improving, and I like his ability to recover when a mistake is made. I like where he’s projecting and think it would be unwise to part ways with him early. 

 

I know Brodie and Hamonic are UFA. Out of the two, I try to extend Brodie to a term that expires when Gio’s does. Join them at the hip. And if/when their play dips, drop them to the 2nd pairing, or third. The kind of chemistry they have is hard to find. As a left handed RD myself, I don’t buy into the LD+RD fantasy that many do. There are advantages to defending with the open-face of your stick protecting the center area (high danger) of the D-zone. I can’t tell you how many passes I intercepted on my forehand instead of backhand, killing their play and immediately transitioning ours. It also didn’t hurt in the O-zone for one-timers while the goalie is making a lateral movement. ;) Of course, clearing the D-zone on the right boards using your backhand becomes an art-form which doesn’t work 100% of the time, but show me a D on their forehand that doesn’t mess up a clearing attempt once in a while as well lol ;)  
 

Anyways, I don’t think Minnie would be interested in UFA Hamonic, so maybe he’s part of another TDL deal. This leads me to Hanifin. I like Hanifin. He has his warts, and I’m not looking to ship him off, but, if we’re going to target Dumba, we gotta give to get. Dumba has 4 years left at $6mil, Hanifin 5 years at $5mil. Maybe there’s an add of Janko to Minnie and something/someone else to us for more balance...
 

I haven’t done any comparison regarding Hanifin to Dumba statistically yet, but the idea at least has me interested. And perhaps Dumba’s moxie would allow is to more freely explore trading Hamonic since  that element of Hamonic’s game would be replaced by Dumba. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I can get behind Dumba. I like that he has some bite to his game as well. I wonder if Minnie would want a D in return because I’d be game. 
 

So while I’m talking D, Andersson Kylington and Valimaki are keepers in my eyes and not available for trade. They’re part of the now, and the future. I see Andersson as a (near) future top pairing D and hope Valimaki turns out to be the same. Kylington’s defensive and offensive game are improving, and I like his ability to recover when a mistake is made. I like where he’s projecting and think it would be unwise to part ways with him early. 

 

I know Brodie and Hamonic are UFA. Out of the two, I try to extend Brodie to a term that expires when Gio’s does. Join them at the hip. And if/when their play dips, drop them to the 2nd pairing, or third. The kind of chemistry they have is hard to find. As a left handed RD myself, I don’t buy into the LD+RD fantasy that many do. There are advantages to defending with the open-face of your stick protecting the center area (high danger) of the D-zone. I can’t tell you how many passes I intercepted on my forehand instead of backhand, killing their play and immediately transitioning ours. It also didn’t hurt in the O-zone for one-timers while the goalie is making a lateral movement. ;) Of course, clearing the D-zone on the right boards using your backhand becomes an art-form which doesn’t work 100% of the time, but show me a D on their forehand that doesn’t mess up a clearing attempt once in a while as well lol ;)  
 

Anyways, I don’t think Minnie would be interested in UFA Hamonic, so maybe he’s part of another TDL deal. This leads me to Hanifin. I like Hanifin. He has his warts, and I’m not looking to ship him off, but, if we’re going to target Dumba, we gotta give to get. Dumba has 4 years left at $6mil, Hanifin 5 years at $5mil. Maybe there’s an add of Janko to Minnie and something/someone else to us for more balance...
 

I haven’t done any comparison regarding Hanifin to Dumba statistically yet, but the idea at least has me interested. And perhaps Dumba’s moxie would allow is to more freely explore trading Hamonic since  that element of Hamonic’s game would be replaced by Dumba. 

 

If Minny is even thinking about losing Dumba it's because they have enought depth and are not worried.

So, trading them a D makes no sense.

If anything, they want forwards younger than age 34 that can score.

Staal, Parise and Suter are their top scoring players, and the best of them has only 34 points.

 

It would need to be something including Bennett to get them listening.

One team whee he actually might be able to score 20.

He ain't doing that here.

 

We can improve the forwards by then using Hamonic or Brodie in a trade.

Whichever gets you the best player(s).

Maybe both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

If Minny is even thinking about losing Dumba it's because they have enought depth and are not worried.

So, trading them a D makes no sense.

If anything, they want forwards younger than age 34 that can score.

Staal, Parise and Suter are their top scoring players, and the best of them has only 34 points.

 

It would need to be something including Bennett to get them listening.

One team whee he actually might be able to score 20.

He ain't doing that here.

 

We can improve the forwards by then using Hamonic or Brodie in a trade.

Whichever gets you the best player(s).

Maybe both.

Also..my gut has a bad feeling about Dumba .maybe he's just having an off year, but he certainly hasn't been himself since the injury .

And the fact Minny is willing to move a 25 yr old , on what should be a team friendly contract..makes me wonder if Minny thinks so too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Also..my gut has a bad feeling about Dumba .maybe he's just having an off year, but he certainly hasn't been himself since the injury .

And the fact Minny is willing to move a 25 yr old , on what should be a team friendly contract..makes me wonder if Minny thinks so too 

 

Either way I feel Dumba is an upgrade on both Brodie and Hamonic in terms of D-play (Brodie) and mobility (Hamonic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Also..my gut has a bad feeling about Dumba .maybe he's just having an off year, but he certainly hasn't been himself since the injury .

And the fact Minny is willing to move a 25 yr old , on what should be a team friendly contract..makes me wonder if Minny thinks so too 

 

Ya Dumba is playing like damaged goods.  Probably will never get back to previous form again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t realize Dumba’s regressed so much... and TD makes a good point, they’d likely be eyeing a forward in return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to trade Bennett and Craniuk  for Dumba, than trade Brodie to TO for kappenian plus a 3rd. Valimaki replaces Brodie, even Kylinton has been better of late. Subban to me is a gamble, If BT is looking for Hockey trades these arr them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I try to trade Bennett and Craniuk  for Dumba, than trade Brodie to TO for kappenian plus a 3rd. Valimaki replaces Brodie, even Kylinton has been better of late. Subban to me is a gamble, If BT is looking for Hockey trades these arr them

Love the Brodie one..  but in all seriousness Bennett is a guy I keep

Sure he's not the player we envisioned , but he busts his hump every game, and come playoff time he's consistently our best player .. teams win cups with guys like him

Czarnik I'm on the fence on..when he's gotten consistent ice time, he's produced .. just not sure who he bumps out to get it now 

I would definitely target Kapanen..  I'd try to resurrect the Zucker trade.

 

Off season ..  I'd , again sorry,. Sign Hall..then trade Johnny to an eastern team willing to pay.. get high picks and prospects..sign a Hall and you don't even need to get a top line player back ..he's a 2 1sts and a couple high prospects easy ...  Talbot will likely move on next season, I'd target one of the backup goalies in New York to back up Rittich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Love the Brodie one..  but in all seriousness Bennett is a guy I keep

Sure he's not the player we envisioned , but he busts his hump every game, and come playoff time he's consistently our best player .. teams win cups with guys like him

Czarnik I'm on the fence on..when he's gotten consistent ice time, he's produced .. just not sure who he bumps out to get it now 

I would definitely target Kapanen..  I'd try to resurrect the Zucker trade.

 

Off season ..  I'd , again sorry,. Sign Hall..then trade Johnny to an eastern team willing to pay.. get high picks and prospects..sign a Hall and you don't even need to get a top line player back ..he's a 2 1sts and a couple high prospects easy ...  Talbot will likely move on next season, I'd target one of the backup goalies in New York to back up Rittich 

 

And Bennett produces how?

1 PP goal last playoffs.

This year, he has all of 6 points.

What line does he drive?

I get the idea that he brings it during the playoffs, but 1 PP doesn't do it for me.

For the ice time he plays this year, you need better.

 

I can understand the frustration with Gaudreau this season.

He's the most consistent driver of offense, and when he goes cold there is little else.

That's kinda the point isn't it.

Good luck replacing that in a trade.

 

We have exactly 4 players with more than 30 points and Ryan close behind.

$25m spent on the top 4.

Where's the rest of the cap money producing?

 

Would be nice to target some players that can fit with the top producers and make them better.

Maybe a sniper that can hot the net.

Maybe a player that can find openings in coverage.

Maybe a D-man that can hit the stick on a first pass.

Or defend without always getting beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

And Bennett produces how?

1 PP goal last playoffs.

This year, he has all of 6 points.

What line does he drive?

I get the idea that he brings it during the playoffs, but 1 PP doesn't do it for me.

For the ice time he plays this year, you need better.

 

I can understand the frustration with Gaudreau this season.

He's the most consistent driver of offense, and when he goes cold there is little else.

That's kinda the point isn't it.

Good luck replacing that in a trade.

 

We have exactly 4 players with more than 30 points and Ryan close behind.

$25m spent on the top 4.

Where's the rest of the cap money producing?

 

Would be nice to target some players that can fit with the top producers and make them better.

Maybe a sniper that can hot the net.

Maybe a player that can find openings in coverage.

Maybe a D-man that can hit the stick on a first pass.

Or defend without always getting beat.

Bennett's production , we all have to wake up .. is not tied to points . Hes not the sniper we drafted him to be .. he never will be 

BUT .. hes a royal PITA to  play against , battles the full 200 feet . makes space for others, brings energy .. his worth is not measured in points , far as I'm concerned he should be Backlunds heir apparent 

 

the bolded is my main issue with it all .. Great Players , leaders and line drivers.. make the OTHERS better ..  they dont need players to make them better , if they do  then they are just highly skilled players

To me , Chucky drives play .. Johnny doesn't

Even through the "Iggy needs a center" days.. he still drove his line and always got 30 goals

Look at the greats.. Gretzky , Mario, Sid, Connor etc.. it didn't matter who they played with .. BJ Mc-Freaking_Donald  got 50 with Gretzky, Kassian thinks hes an elite player now because he has 14 goals.. playing with Connor.. where Chiasson got 22 last year 

 

id be wiling to bet a line of Tkachuk, Monahan and Mangiapane would make this city forget Johnny eventually 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Bennett's production , we all have to wake up .. is not tied to points . Hes not the sniper we drafted him to be .. he never will be 

BUT .. hes a royal PITA to  play against , battles the full 200 feet . makes space for others, brings energy .. his worth is not measured in points , far as I'm concerned he should be Backlunds heir apparent 

 

the bolded is my main issue with it all .. Great Players , leaders and line drivers.. make the OTHERS better ..  they dont need players to make them better , if they do  then they are just highly skilled players

To me , Chucky drives play .. Johnny doesn't

Even through the "Iggy needs a center" days.. he still drove his line and always got 30 goals

Look at the greats.. Gretzky , Mario, Sid, Connor etc.. it didn't matter who they played with .. BJ Mc-Freaking_Donald  got 50 with Gretzky, Kassian thinks hes an elite player now because he has 14 goals.. playing with Connor.. where Chiasson got 22 last year 

 

id be wiling to bet a line of Tkachuk, Monahan and Mangiapane would make this city forget Johnny eventually 

 

Did we not see a line with Tkachuk and Monahan?

 

Anyway, you can view Bennett as a productive player if you like.  He's Rinaldo.

Don;t have a problem with that, other than playing Bennett up to 15 minutes.

Pay a guy like that $750k.

A big hit or a big forecheck.

 

You want the top line to produce better, add a sniper.

That makes them better.

Not much good Gauddreau passing to Backlund.

Or Monahan on an off night.

 

Maybe, just maybe adding a guy who can score might actually help this team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

 

id be wiling to bet a line of Tkachuk, Monahan and Mangiapane would make this city forget Johnny eventually 

 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51acde5142ebcbf5e86cf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Bennett's production , we all have to wake up .. is not tied to points . Hes not the sniper we drafted him to be .. he never will be 

BUT .. hes a royal PITA to  play against , battles the full 200 feet . makes space for others, brings energy .. his worth is not measured in points , far as I'm concerned he should be Backlunds heir apparent 

 

I don't think he should be Backlund's heir apparent but I do agree with you that Bennett's contributions should not be measured in points.  He's going to help grind the other team down over a 7 game series and we need players like him for the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...