The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I'm going on record as being in support of the two new guys.

Gustafsson might be a gem.

Forbort couldn;t be any worse than Stone.

I watched a bit of Forbort last year, and thought he was okay.

I doubt they qualify him this summer at that price.

Gustafsson is much cheaper and seems to be able to put up points, even in a down year.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Gustafsson is much cheaper and seems to be able to put up points, even in a down year.

Forbort is actually a very solid defenseman, who has averaged over 20 mins a night the last 3 years prior to this year.

I think now, when someone says a defenseman is a stay at home defenseman we assume he can't actually play, but Forbort can play.

• Like 1

I am curious if anyone watched the Avs or Blues games last year, after the trade deadline? The reason I ask is because obviously the Blues won the cup, and we all know how the Avs handled us.

That being said, the Avs finished to post deadline schedule 11-8 I believe, and the Blues were 12-7. Not exactly tearing it up heading down the stretch, and they both had up and down seasons, then really turned it on in the playoffs.

I am not saying we are either of those teams, but I’m sure their fans weren’t planning the parade heading in to the post season. I guess my point is that this is not the same team as last year (make-up wise), so we have no idea how they are going to perform/react to the post season.

I am in the same boat that I don’t view the 2nd rounder(s) as much of a crazy loss, and I am willing to give this core and be more shot in the playoffs. If they crap the bed again down the stretch or in the playoffs, then the off-season is the time to move pieces out. Admittedly it’ll suck to lose out on the pick(s) Brodie would have fetched, however I’ll personally pay that price for one more shot with him as a part of the core.

You can still trade him in the off-season for a lesser pick, to a team that wants to negotiate with him before FA. Obviously not ideal in hindsight if they go nowhere, but life is all about taking those chances.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not every win is going to be pretty.

We had pretty wins last year and it made no impact on the playoffs.

I would prefer to win a close game where they battled back to win in the 3rd than a cake walk.

There are no cake walks in the plauoffs.

Saying that, I hope to see the team play more consistently.

Battle back against the Bruins and win.

Not get down 4 goals in a period.

What I am saying is that I want to see a team that takes evry game to the end.

You are going to have playoffs games where the other team plays as bad a ANA.

Or plays as hard as the Bruins.

If you want to see a team take every game to the end, may i suggest the caps, blues boston or tampa? They seem to wish ti win modt nights, rare occassion when they lay an egg

But he sold his bike( frolich) on the way to the store to buy more groceries is what we were told.So wheers the groceries 

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

But he sold his bike( frolich) on the way to the store to buy more groceries is what we were told.So wheers the groceries 

Using your analogy.

After selling his bike (Frolik) he found from walking he got a hole in his shoe (Gio, Harmonic) which needing fixing before he could get groceries(RW Forward)

28 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

If you want to see a team take every game to the end, may i suggest the caps, blues boston or tampa? They seem to wish ti win modt nights, rare occassion when they lay an egg

And travel said we had a lot of pretty wins last year. I do think they had a lot of easy wins, but I don’t think it was because they manhandled other teams. Early in the year they made other teams pay for their mistakes and when other teams cleaned it up our game suffered. ASB and the mandated break we were a horrible different team;, much like this year, getting wins but not playing like a good team doing it.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Some things like Josh Anderson can wait till the summer.

RFA's are players you can trade for at the draft.

The fact that we still have Brodie and he may not sign is concerning.

Hamonic won't be back, so that's a lost asset due to his "timely" injury.

Some nice pieces were traded today for value, while some overpaid for.

Goodrow for a 1st ?

Skjei for a 1st?

You seem awful certain that Brodie and Hamonic will not be back.  Your right, but in reality we don’t know....

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

You seem awful certain that Brodie and Hamonic will not be back.  Your right, but in reality we don’t know....

Hey CCC. long time eh.

I am cerain that they are moving on from one at least.

I did mention that Brodie might sign.

I would dump both and spend coin on Pietrangelo.

There's the perfect compliment to Gio, except 6 years younger.

Hamonic likes it here, but his skills have deteriorated.

We could go with him over an upgrade, but he's already been passed by Ras.

So, we have Ras and Kylington that look better each game,

We have Hanifin that mught be better to trade.

We have Gio that may have one or two years left.

We have Valimaki who could be better than Hanifin already.

Then there is Forbs and Gussy, wjo we might sign before the season is done.

That's 7 there without re-signing TJ or Hammer.

We could trade Hanifin for a RW.

Use Yelesin as a 7th.

Or go big on Pietrangelo.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

The team lacks leadership.

BTW, you watch STL on their losing streak?

Or WAS struggling?

Being on the bubble is actually better for the Flames.

Last year once they got the playoff spot clinched, they barely played.

Smith made them lazy to come back.

GIve me a team that needs to play to get in over a team on cruise control.

Two new motivated players coming from non playoff teams.

Rittich isn;t playing 2nd fiddle to Smith.

Scoring is coming back.

Lucic is hitting again, Janko is PO's and Monahan is no longer Mr. Nice Guy.

Not exactly a fierce team, but not hiding.

The team lacks leadership.

BTW, you watch STL on their losing streak?

Or WAS struggling?

Being on the bubble is actually better for the Flames.

Last year once they got the playoff spot clinched, they barely played.

Smith made them lazy to come back.

GIve me a team that needs to play to get in over a team on cruise control.

Two new motivated players coming from non playoff teams.

Rittich isn;t playing 2nd fiddle to Smith.

Scoring is coming back.

Lucic is hitting again, Janko is PO's and Monahan is no longer Mr. Nice Guy.

Not exactly a fierce team, but not hiding.

I will say those are elements they lacked in last years post season and kinda cruised in and one of the reasons I think we got trounced by the Avs who fought to the end to get in....

this mag be that same type of year for us, having to fight for every win to build team character...but we shall see.

I’m still of the thought we need to look at succession planning for Brodie and Gio...and replacing Hammer on the D

and without a doubt we badly need 2 Top level RWs manji as much as I love him is a 3rd liner (a solid on but still 3rd) 

on top of that, backlund is nearing his best before date and I’m of the opinion Bennett is a fine 3rd line Ctr I’d let alone there and given decent player to play with...manji is a great Rw for him to start 

I feel we missed the boat here this TDL, we really only addressed a replacement for stone and got an insurance player in guffs...who the combo of the two should be both an improvement and replace Kent for Stone and hammer...I’m not saying they were bad moves, just not moves this team should have focused on, now we have to hope to god Tre signs Brodie or our D is in serious trouble unless Hanifin takes a huge step forward and Valimaki comes in and is a solid as the “pros” think he is, which is super rare I think he’s going to have growing pains next year but he is gonna be a great D at some point that is for sure.

anyway, we aught to have stocked up some assets to address this issue now we are gonna have to wing and pay on it but like you said, there is a chance for mass internal improvement which could happen from anyway of struggles like this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I feel we missed the boat here this TDL, we really only addressed a replacement for stone and got an insurance player in guffs...who the combo of the two should be both an improvement and replace Kent for Stone and hammer...

Sorry to pick on you, just that this post summarizes what I'm seeing in many posts and boards today..

I think many are majorly understating these 2 players .

They both are high minute guys used to playing with the top dman on their old teams..

Forbort has had injuries , yes, but it's not a stretch to say he's more than a replacement for Stone, he makes Hamonic expendable 

Gustafson is easily an upgrade on where Hanifin is right now  and add in the fact he's a true powerplay qb.. Gio has been our qb, but this guy is a natural

Not trying to say we picked up a couple of Norris candidates.. but even without injuries we improved our top 4..that says a lot 

Now that being said , my concern is D men don't acclimate immediately so we could have some chemistry pains 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hey CCC. long time eh.

I am cerain that they are moving on from one at least.

I did mention that Brodie might sign.

I would dump both and spend coin on Pietrangelo.

There's the perfect compliment to Gio, except 6 years younger.

Hamonic likes it here, but his skills have deteriorated.

We could go with him over an upgrade, but he's already been passed by Ras.

So, we have Ras and Kylington that look better each game,

We have Hanifin that mught be better to trade.

We have Gio that may have one or two years left.

We have Valimaki who could be better than Hanifin already.

Then there is Forbs and Gussy, wjo we might sign before the season is done.

That's 7 there without re-signing TJ or Hammer.

We could trade Hanifin for a RW.

Use Yelesin as a 7th.

Or go big on Pietrangelo.

Been hanging in the weeds, watching developments.  As is obvious, no reason to get over-excited about this team before playoffs.  Seems like the team is doing the same thing (I hope).  Personally I'm hoping Gustaffson(PP & scoring) and Forbot(actual D & physicality) are upgrades on both Brodie and Hamonic and that we sign both.  Those two plus Anderson and Valimaki could be our core D going forward.  Love Gio but also believe it may be beneficial to trade him this summer, though I doubt that happens.  If you keep Hannifin that's 6 D, plus I'd also keep Kylington as his speed is missing elsewhere and he seems to be getting better.  Hamonic and Brodie for the playoffs(self-rentals) and re-sign 1 or trade both afterwards for whatever you can get.  

36 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Gustafson is easily an upgrade on where Hanifin is right now  and add in the fact he's a true powerplay qb.. Gio has been our qb, but this guy is a natural

I agree with this 100%... I think it will also relieve the pressure from Gio to play in every situation.  This will keep him fresh for the playoffs.  Gustafson can play PP and Forbot can play PK... I think this makes our D very strong and balanced.

45 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Don't get me wrong I am happy we landed Gustafson but;

In fact Gustafson was the PP QB in the 31st PP in the league. Gio is the PP GB in the 18th PP in the league. Not sure he is an upgrade over Gio especially with the likes of Teows and Kane. I do see Gustafson on the #2 PP though.

TDL was a little meh imo. I was surprised we brought in 2 D-men, I was thinking just one would suffice. But I am interested to see how they fit! 

But overall, I’m glad we didn’t swing for anything stupid. In my eyes, the team hasn’t earned additional help. If they wanted BT to push all his chips in at the table, they needed to show him he has a good hand first. 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Sorry to pick on you, just that this post summarizes what I'm seeing in many posts and boards today..

They both are high minute guys used to playing with the top dman on their old teams..

Forbort has had injuries , yes, but it's not a stretch to say he's more than a replacement for Stone, he makes Hamonic expendable 

Not trying to say we picked up a couple of Norris candidates.. but even without injuries we improved our top 4..that says a lot 

Now that being said , my concern is D men don't acclimate immediately so we could have some chemistry pains 

Splitting hairs but IMO Rasmus has done this already. Forbort doesn't really impact this and is not a top 4 dman IMO. 

I think the truth is more in the middle. Yes Forbort was playing with Doughty in a top pairing role but he also looked pretty bad doing it. Gustafsson was playing a top line role too but was getting exposed for his bad defensive play. I have a friend who is a big Hawks fan and he's already warned me that while you've love his offence be prepared to get mad at him constantly. His defensive game is not top 4 caliber and if the Flames play him there I think they'll be dissapointed. This is a very consistent opinion of Gustafsson. 

I view this as more as taking 2 players who were in bad fits with previous clubs and seeing if the fit is better here, and addressing specific needs. Flames can afford to put them in roles better suited to their games that their previous clubs could not. Moreso with Gustafsson than Forbort, but I can easily see a path where if it work and the dollars are ok that the Flames would look at extending Gustafsson. With it looking likely that both Brodie and Hamonic will leave the money should be there and the Flames don't really have a great PP option in the short term on their roster or in the pipeline,

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Splitting hairs but IMO Rasmus has done this already. Forbort doesn't really impact this and is not a top 4 dman IMO. 

I think the truth is more in the middle. Yes Forbort was playing with Doughty in a top pairing role but he also looked pretty bad doing it. Gustafsson was playing a top line role too but was getting exposed for his bad defensive play. I have a friend who is a big Hawks fan and he's already warned me that while you've love his offence be prepared to get mad at him constantly. His defensive game is not top 4 caliber and if the Flames play him there I think they'll be dissapointed. This is a very consistent opinion of Gustafsson. 

I view this as more as taking 2 players who were in bad fits with previous clubs and seeing if the fit is better here, and addressing specific needs. Flames can afford to put them in roles better suited to their games that their previous clubs could not. Moreso with Gustafsson than Forbort, but I can easily see a path where if it work and the dollars are ok that the Flames would look at extending Gustafsson. With it looking likely that both Brodie and Hamonic will leave the money should be there and the Flames don't really have a great PP option in the short term on their roster or in the pipeline,

Get what you're saying,. Just looking at it from the point of style.

Top 2 lines should have , for want of a better term, stay at home pure defense guys.. right now Hamonic is that on the 2nd line , without him our next up was Stone. I was seeing more of a Hanifin /Forbort pairing having some good merit 

Gio/Anderson definitely..both are basically hybrids so it makes sense for a top pair 

That might leave Gus the 3/1 floater like Andersson has been doing ..

Leaving Kyllington and Valimaki initially as 7/8 until they take a job like Anderson did 

I can see Valimaki being that eventual 2nd pair responsible D guy, but to me he still has to take the job 

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

for me it’s not the players themselves as much as it is the state of the team. I guess you gotta try to go for playoffs, but they haven’t shown signs of being worthy this year.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'll go on record with that as well, at least with Gustafsson.

Forbort, I'd rather have the pick but it's a tossup.  Nothing I'm going to scream about.

Are we better today?

No.  Because we just wrote off some big assets and resigned ourselves to getting little or nothing for them.   We're actually a lot worse off.

But Gustafsson is an ok acquisition at that price.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I'll go on record with that as well, at least with Gustafsson.

Forbort, I'd rather have the pick but it's a tossup.  Nothing I'm going to scream about.

Are we better today?

No.  Because we just wrote off some big assets and resigned ourselves to getting little or nothing for them.   We're actually a lot worse off.

But Gustafsson is an ok acquisition at that price.

Forbert is a 2021 4th, so nothing spectacular.

If either of those guys can play better than Hanifin or Hamonic, then we can trade Hanifin at the draft.

Or in the summer.

If they are keeping Kylington up, I would consider moving him to LW or even RW.

He has better skating than half our forwards.

But, I hear you about wasted assets.

If they sign Brodie, then he cost a 2nd as a rental.

What we don;t know is if Brodie was asked to waive.

Hamonic is a waste, but that was bad planning; should have traded him long ago.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Forbert is a 2021 4th, so nothing spectacular.

If either of those guys can play better than Hanifin or Hamonic, then we can trade Hanifin at the draft.

Or in the summer.

If they are keeping Kylington up, I would consider moving him to LW or even RW.

He has better skating than half our forwards.

But, I hear you about wasted assets.

If they sign Brodie, then he cost a 2nd as a rental.

What we don;t know is if Brodie was asked to waive.

Hamonic is a waste, but that was bad planning; should have traded him long ago.

I like the idea of trying him long at F to see if he can do it. He might have a good D awareness for a F as a D guy. Could he play C? probably not... But a winger might be nice. He has decent hands to ride the line, so he might have a bit more than he's showing. 

22 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Don't get me wrong I am happy we landed Gustafson but;

In fact Gustafson was the PP QB in the 31st PP in the league. Gio is the PP GB in the 18th PP in the league. Not sure he is an upgrade over Gio especially with the likes of Teows and Kane. I do see Gustafson on the #2 PP though.

Chicago is very much in a similar situation as Calgary, as far as production goes.

All of their players were/are producing at a far lower rate than last season.

Much like the Flames as well is the fact that most of their players had career years. Toews, DeBrincat, Strome, Gustafsson.

I was impressed with Gustafsson against Boston last night. As someone mentioned earlier he seems like a natural QB. 

I felt with the 2 new guys paired up it really settled things down for the team. Both Gus and Forbs were playing top line mins with their past teams and now just have to take care of the 3-4th lines. Small sample but against the Bruins i felt they really held their own and complimented each other well.