The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

That's the kicker with me with Colborne. He's got the size and faceoff ability of a 3rd line center but he isn't very good on the PK. If they could move Stajan then I would have no problem keeping Colborne as a center to win some draws but I'm not sure how easy its going to be to move Stajan and I'm not so sure the best usage for Colborne is the 4th line.

I like Colborne but I'm just not seeing the fit and because I think he is a solid player you could probably get someone decent in return for him. Between Colborne and Backlund for 3rd line center next year, I take Backlund because of his ability to drive possession, not give up as much and he can kill penalties. You need your 3rd line center to kill penalties.

Undoubtedly the smartest thing this team could do is keep Backlund. He is well priced as a 3rd line C that can flex up and give you some top 6 time if needed. We would have one of the best. If this is the decision, then I would deal Colborne and Stajan any way possible. It is a shame Grant suffered the fractured jaw however if ok he would be perfect to bring in as your 4th line C next year.

Granted he won't be anybodys game changer this year.. And yes..you are trading for His potential..but that potential is very high.

Stevie is not stupid.. He's already had offers but he wants the right deal and he won't let the situation pull Him into a panic move. Rumour is the blues were hot for him and Shattenkirk was in the conversation.. He's perfectly willing to let the deadline pass and let the kid sit.

Like I said before I think we can offer the win win he's looking for. His pressure right now is Stamkos. Stamkos said something cryptic the other day in that"everybody will know after the deadline" I think what he means is he wants to see how serious mgmt is about going all in for a cup this year.

If they can add a great veteran playmates and a shot blocking dean for "win now" and only move out a kid who will never play for your team. He looks like a genius.

We move out 2 expiring contracts.. Both of which are pricing out of our salary structure.and get a kid that everybody agrees has all Star upside.. We look like geniuses.. I would give up 2 2nds for him..this is a win win

If STL is using Shattenkirk somehow to get Drouin and something else I think any other team is wasting their time.

What about Colborne and Bollig to PHI for Brayden Schenn and a 2nd rounder ?

How about no.

Not realistic at all. Either of the parts Flyers give up are worth more than Colbourne & Bollig together.

How about no.

Not realistic at all. Either of the parts Flyers give up are worth more than Colbourne & Bollig together.

What about a realistic trade between CGY and WPG?  Any thoughts on Ladd's value as a pending UFA?  Hight cost rental and too expensive to re-sign?  Do you even think it's a viable option for the Flames?  His numbers don't look outstanding, but he's a consistent 20+ goal scorer.  At 30 I think he still has some good years ahead of him (like 5).

How about no.

What for Schenn then ?

What about a realistic trade between CGY and WPG?  Any thoughts on Ladd's value as a pending UFA?  Hight cost rental and too expensive to re-sign?  Do you even think it's a viable option for the Flames?  His numbers don't look outstanding, but he's a consistent 20+ goal scorer.  At 30 I think he still has some good years ahead of him (like 5).

Rumor is he wants 6M which I highly doubt he gets .

The thing with trading to make the playoffs is that most trades to do so would cost too much of the future. Between cap issues and the fact that most sellers are looking for picks and/or prospects.

You don't want to give up players like Bennet, Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Hamilton or Giordano. Anything worthwhile in a trade to make playoffs will cost something in that category. With the Flames as far back as they are, it is impossible to consider trade a first round pick and still possibly miss the playoffs.

I don't think the Flames need 1 piece to get them deep into the playoffs, scraping in for a round maybe but they need more to go deep.

Pieces like Russell, Hudler, Engelland, Hiller, Ramo, Bollig and maybe Wideman could bring in potential future pieces in the shape of young guys, picks or prospects when we know they can't all be re-signed for next season.

I know you were playing devil's advocate Peeps but there is my reasoning for trades not suggested for the now.

• Like 1

I know this has been beaten to death, but the biggest issue is the size in our top six. When teams play the Flames physical it's almost no contest. We don't have one player over 200 pounds in our top six. I know Bennett will get bigger and Frolik is a good 2/3 line winger but ultimately we need "beef" if we want to do anything (especially in the playoffs) 

Has anyone thought about a trade that can get us into the playoffs this season? We're still within mathematical reach of the post season.

Future considerations to Edmonton for 10 points?

Has anyone thought about a trade that can get us into the playoffs this season?  We're still within mathematical reach of the post season.

Any trade for a player/prospect is a move towards the playoffs.  Kreider is a guy that is (supposedly) underachieving and will cost a lot to re-sign.  He is built for the playoffs.  It also helps us long term.

How about a guy like Blake Wheeler?  Assuming the Jets were to want to trade him, what do you think the price would be?  I only mention him because he is a big top 6 RW, something the Flames could use (I highly doubt he is available).

Has anyone thought about a trade that can get us into the playoffs this season?  We're still within mathematical reach of the post season.

Mathematicaly sure. 

Practically no. 

Lets not repeat the later Iginla years thinking we're a trade away. We're not. 

We have dead weight contracts to clear out. We have expiring UFAs. We have a core that (ignoring Giordano) is an average of about 23 years old. 

We are a team that is going to be a contender in another couple seasons. We are not a playoff team this year. 

Any and all trades should be improving for the future. 

How about a guy like Blake Wheeler?  Assuming the Jets were to want to trade him, what do you think the price would be?  I only mention him because he is a big top 6 RW, something the Flames could use (I highly doubt he is available).

He's tied with Gaudreau for points if you're wondering what it would take.

Not a chance Winnipeg is trading him, not even maybe.

Any trade for a player/prospect is a move towards the playoffs.  Kreider is a guy that is (supposedly) underachieving and will cost a lot to re-sign.  He is built for the playoffs.  It also helps us long term.

But do we want to spend the cap space for him?

I want to make a trade for the playoffs, heck, I'd make a lot of trades and moves toward the playoffs. That's what we should be doing. ...Just not this year's playoffs.

Has anyone thought about a trade that can get us into the playoffs this season? We're still within mathematical reach of the post season.

I don't want the flames giving up anything to improve the team short term. The only way I see them doing it is if it's the last piece to put us into cup contention. They should be doing what they did last year or let any UFA walk that they don't want to sign if they couldn't deal them.

How about trying to get us a true #1 goaltender now. I don't care what age he is rather just he is more than capable for a few years.

How about Hudler and Wideman to TB for Drouin and Matt Carle? We could buy out Carle's contract after the season if he doesn't work out or if he gets a new lease on life, he replaces Wideman for similar money.

How about Frolik, Russell, and a 2nd to NYI for Okposo and Hamonic assuming we can sign Okposo to a 3-4 year deal for just under $6 million? 

How about trying to get us a true #1 goaltender now. I don't care what age he is rather just he is more than capable for a few years.

My focus is on trying t make hockey deals. Outside of Hudler/Russell it's not like the flames have a ton of assets that are going to net high picks or prospects and I'm a,so not thrilled about loaded up on depth picks that may or may not help in 3/4 years. I'd rather try and make hockey deals and get some players that fit and help this team starting next year if that happens to hell this year too I'm find with that but I wouldn't make rental trades to get better now if that's what your asking. Don't give up assets to help short term, but I'm find making trades that help now and long term.

The Flames need to find a young top 6 forward to play on the right side and a goalie. Short term or long term those things are needed.

But do we want to spend the cap space for him?

I want to make a trade for the playoffs, heck, I'd make a lot of trades and moves toward the playoffs. That's what we should be doing. ...Just not this year's playoffs.

To earn a big payday, you have to post results.  I would see him getting a bridge deal.  He still hasn't improved over a good start, unlike Johnny Hockey.

I think Anderson from ANA is the best one available that has upside.  See what they want.  They need to shed payroll.  Maybe a combo of B prospects, picks and a roster player like Colborne.  They can't afford him next season and have good goalie prospects in the pipeline.

I don think Andersons goin to be a realistic option. An unproven Martin Jones cost a first and I think the Duck will put a division premium on the ask for Flames. I wouldn't do a first straight up let alone more

Anyone suggesting to make a trade to make the playoffs is wrong. The only way we should be doing that is if it's a young player coming back, and it's going to help out future. If that ends up with us making the playoffs sure if it's a rental don't even bother.

I don think Andersons goin to be a realistic option. An unproven Martin Jones cost a first and I think the Duck will put a division premium on the ask for Flames. I wouldn't do a first straight up let alone more

Maybe we can do a 3 team trade to get him with Anaheim trading to someone else then we get Anderson.

Anyone suggesting to make a trade to make the playoffs is wrong. The only way we should be doing that is if it's a young player coming back, and it's going to help out future. If that ends up with us making the playoffs sure if it's a rental don't even bother.

Maybe we can do a 3 team trade to get him with Anaheim trading to someone else then we get Anderson.

Maybe, but I think it still starts at a first round pick. Only way I do that is if somehow you can get an additional first via trade. I don't think that's likely.

Maybe, but I think it still starts at a first round pick. Only way I do that is if somehow you can get an additional first via trade. I don't think that's likely.

Maybe hudler is the key to that for another team, although in 3 team trade that might not make sense. I'm not sure if hudler and a second would fetch you anderson, I think it would be a good offer.