The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

On 5/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, The_People1 said:

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jack-eichel-with-the-rangers-seems-impossible-now-but-you-never-know/

Look at these trade proposals for Eichel...

If we put Gaudreau on the table, then no one can match our offer.

maybe... but it does depend on what Buffalo is after. Georgiev is a bit of a hot commodity right now and i've seen many that peg him as a future starting goalie in the NHL. For a team without a real answer in net in the short or long term it may be tough to beat that if that's the direction they want to go. 

Positional value and filling needs sometimes take precedent when high caliber players like Eichel get dealt. often it's not just about getting the best player, which funny enough is why I think so many of these deals blow up in the team's face. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

maybe... but it does depend on what Buffalo is after. Georgiev is a bit of a hot commodity right now and i've seen many that peg him as a future starting goalie in the NHL. For a team without a real answer in net in the short or long term it may be tough to beat that if that's the direction they want to go. 

Positional value and filling needs sometimes take precedent when high caliber players like Eichel get dealt. often it's not just about getting the best player, which funny enough is why I think so many of these deals blow up in the team's face. 

Well, considering Lundqvist is one year away from retiring, do the Rangers even trade Georgiev?  They leave themselves without a future #1 goaltender.

Plus, I think BUF likes Linus Ullmark.

You are right though, it depends what position BUF is after.  Maybe they want a high end G or D and we don't have that.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well, considering Lundqvist is one year away from retiring, do the Rangers even trade Georgiev?  They leave themselves without a future #1 goaltender.

Plus, I think BUF likes Linus Ullmark.

You are right though, it depends what position BUF is after.  Maybe they want a high end G or D and we don't have that.

yes they still have Igor Shesterkin who has been labeled their future number 1 by a few beat writers I’ve read. Georgiev is a popular trade bait asset given their strength in goal. 

I understand buffalo does like Ullmark but I can also see them growing impatient with him. Been a few years now and he hasn’t really shown he can step up and take the job. 

hard to say either way just putting it out there that I don’t think it’s as simple as if the Flames dangle Gaudreau it’s the best offer. 

I don’t really know what it would take or how the Flames should go about making things work. Obviously there is something missing and as we move forward, decisions need to be made . This off season looks to be a back end mainly off season (goal and D). 

Flames have Brodie, Hamonic, Gustafsson, Forbort and Stone all UFA and Kylington RFA on D. That leaves Giordano, Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki as the only D signed. Flames need 3 more D either signed, traded for or re-signed.

They also need 4 forwards and a G as Talbot is UFA.

Assuming that the cap stays flat, the Flames have just under 17 million to fill those holes.

I am happier with Hanifin than others on here since he is signed long term, is only 23 and his cap hit is good for a top 4D. That said, I am also not stuck on keeping him. I would like to see what he could do alongside a Pietrangelo type player rather than a Hamonic.

If we could sign Pietrangelo, that would be a huge step forward.

I would be interested in seeing what it would take to get Gustav Lindström out of Detroit (21 year old RD). They are light on LD and heavy on RD, would rights to Kylington and Jankowski work for Lindström and a 2nd? (Detroit has 3).

It could have our D as

Giordano/ Andersson 

Hanifin / Pietrangelo 

Valimaki / Lindström 

??

More balanced top 4, younger overall but lots of talent and potential. Pick up someone more veteran for the 7th D man for cheap like a Beaulieu or something.

Just a thought.

Flames have some prospect decisions between now and Monday. Milos Roman and Linus Lindstrom need contracts in order for the Flames to retain their rights. 

Linus is under SHL contract for next year so very likely they will lose those. Roman is more of a maybe but he's also appears to have plateaued a bit as well so I understand why this isn't a slam dunk. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames have some prospect decisions between now and Monday. Milos Roman and Linus Lindstrom need contracts in order for the Flames to retain their rights. 

Linus is under SHL contract for net year so very likely they will lose those. Roman is more of a maybe but he's also appears to have plateaued a bit as well so I understand why this isn't a slam dunk. 

I think giving Roman an AHL deal would be ok. Give him a chance to progress at the pro level without taking up a contract spot.

Jason Botteril is sticking around in buffalo. Whether we’re able to trade with him or not, he’ll be an interesting one to watch with so many players on expiring contracts and $35mil available to try to convince players to play there 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s why he’s someone I’d target to trade with. He’ll want players already with term and he’s on the hot seat to get Buffalo in the playoffs next season. Otherwise it’s likely the axe. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Linus is under SHL contract for next year so very likely they will lose those. Roman is more of a maybe but he's also appears to have plateaued a bit as well so I understand why this isn't a slam dunk. 

Do they lose Lindstrom if he is signed to a Euro league?

Do they not retain his rights if he comes to NA?

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Do they lose Lindstrom if he is signed to a Euro league?

Do they not retain his rights if he comes to NA?

No they do not retain any rights. 

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

No they do not retain any rights. 

Such a young age to be losing Milos Roman. He's only 20. Can they sign them, but they continue to play in Europe?

21 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Jason Botteril is sticking around in buffalo. Whether we’re able to trade with him or not, he’ll be an interesting one to watch with so many players on expiring contracts and $35mil available to try to convince players to play there 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s why he’s someone I’d target to trade with. He’ll want players already with term and he’s on the hot seat to get Buffalo in the playoffs next season. Otherwise it’s likely the axe. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1975647

Unhappy Jack Eichel

• Like 2

NHL bumped the deadline back to July 1 apparently. 

52 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Such a young age to be losing Milos Roman. He's only 20. Can they sign them, but they continue to play in Europe?

You only get 2 years for a North American player, which Roman is as he was drafted out of the WHL. 

They should be able to do what they did with Kinvall if they wanted to. However, Lindstrom is 23 has only seem minor progression and signed a 2 year deal last time he could (IIRC). I'd be surprised to see him come over. 

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't blame him. The biggest challenge I would see if i'm Eichel is how is it going to get any better? It's not like they are sitting on a prospect gold mine or young players waiting to break out. They've struggled to draft and they've got some bad contracts. 

I get what Jtech said earlier and I doubt the Sabres are going to be willing to deal him but I would actually expect Eichel to ask to be moved sooner rather than later. 

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm a big fan of his skill-set and believe he could potentially win a scoring title with a better team.

Having watched him quite a bit, it's really plain to see his frustration oftentimes.

Have to wonder how long it is before he decides he needs a change of scenery.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't blame him. The biggest challenge I would see if i'm Eichel is how is it going to get any better? It's not like they are sitting on a prospect gold mine or young players waiting to break out. They've struggled to draft and they've got some bad contracts. 

I get what Jtech said earlier and I doubt the Sabres are going to be willing to deal him but I would actually expect Eichel to ask to be moved sooner rather than later. 

4 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I'm a big fan of his skill-set and believe he could potentially win a scoring title with a better team.

Having watched him quite a bit, it's really plain to see his frustration oftentimes.

Have to wonder how long it is before he decides he needs a change of scenery.

The Sabres are so fortunate that he signed for 8 years. That being said, Eichel is smart enough to know that making those comments will generate a ton of buzz, effectively starting the countdown on his time in BUF. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade, but the Sabres won't move him unless the trade request goes public, even then I am not sure the Sabres will be very quick to move him.

The price on Eichel would be astronomical anyway. There would be 20+ teams making offers on him.

It would have to be multiple 1st's, Monahan, and several young players heading to Buffalo

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The price on Eichel would be astronomical anyway. There would be 20+ teams making offers on him.

It would have to be multiple 1st's, Monahan, and several young players heading to Buffalo

well monahan and jankowski and bennett I would do

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

You beat me to it. I found this one at bardown. 
https://www.bardown.com/jack-eichel-voiced-his-frustration-over-not-making-the-playoffs-for-the-5th-straight-year-1.1480661

I think there’s some audio in the bar down article I have yet to listen to. 

either way, fuel to the fire! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well monahan and jankowski and bennett I would do

I think Buffalo would want Monahan, Dube, Pelletier, Valimaki and multiple high picks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade, but the Sabres won't move him unless the trade request goes public, even then I am not sure the Sabres will be very quick to move him.

No they definitely won't. I think what i'm saying is I think this looks to me like it's heading to a divorce and it's just a question of when. 

i just don't see how it gets better. Eichel seems very driven to win and I don't see the Sabres doing it anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Buffalo would want Monahan, Dube, Pelletier, Valimaki and multiple high picks

then they will have an unhappy Eichel for a very very long time

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Im of the thinking that their focus would be on players that’ll help them get into the playoffs as soon as possible (ie Next season). Patience is not something I think buffalo can preach at this time, and if they’re trading Eichel, they better be bringing in some entertaining players that’ll make an immediate impact and give the fan base something new and exciting to salivate over. Hence the reason why I’ve recommended Mony and Johnny. Is there another NHL team out there that’s willing to give up 2/3 of their top line for Eichel? And at salaries that combine to just over Eichel’s alone? To me, Buffalo retains their offseason financial flexibility, they get top line players already locked into contracts, and they immediately look like more of a threat to make the playoffs in the East. 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Im of the thinking that their focus would be on players that’ll help them get into the playoffs as soon as possible (ie Next season). Patience is not something I think buffalo can preach at this time, and if they’re trading Eichel, they better be bringing in some entertaining players that’ll make an immediate impact and give the fan base something new and exciting to salivate over. Hence the reason why I’ve recommended Mony and Johnny. Is there another NHL team out there that’s willing to give up 2/3 of their top line for Eichel? And at salaries that combine to just over Eichel’s alone? To me, Buffalo retains their offseason financial flexibility, they get top line players already locked into contracts, and they immediately look like more of a threat to make the playoffs in the East. 

It's possible. Who knows what Buffalo is thinking... 

I think you make an Eichel trade to push all of your chips in, which is to say I think you would keep Gaudreau.

That would mean you really have to mortgage the future, even that may not be enough though to get it done